1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Is that a smart phone dictionary mistake, some new literary use of the word, or just the stupid bleeding through? :laugh:

As far as satisfying any fans, much less the Charger variety, when does that ever happen? Don't we all know what's best for our team? :rolleyes:
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    you also have to think, was Mcneill really a Pro-Bowl LT or was Dielman's presence helping him look better than he really was? Even when MM held out, there were struggles but nothing like last year. I think Rivers was more affected by the loss of Dielman, than the loss of McNeill

Regardless of what happens, When Darren Smith told Rivers about the interview he had with Johnathan Cooper and how the Chargers could draft him in the first round, The excitement you heard in PR's voice was funny.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,758 / 47 / -26
    This is something I've been saying for years.

McNeill was only a standout as a rookie (ironically, with two broken hands). Dielman as a HUGE help to McNeill, because he knew he didn't have to worry about being beaten inside with Dielman next to him. The loss of Dielman is what caused the collapse of the O-line.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Yanda was a 3rd rounder, Sitton was a 4th rounder.

Well, Center is going to be a hole of need to fill either in 2014 or 2015, when Hardwick retires. That buys us some time, and you can start Cooper at OG.

Marcus McNeill was 2nd rounder, but fell due to his spinal issue, still was a starter his rookie year and an eventual pro bowler. Maybe Terron Armstead falls because of his collegiate level of play. I like Jordan Mills as well, and Dallas Thomas too. I think Joe D can groom guys like Reid Fragel and JC Tretter to play LOT, despite what critics say.
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Also along with the spinal issues, many questioned Mcneill's footwork, the thing that made MM pretty successful was the fact that he was so big it was harder for defenders to get around him, like you mentioned if they did try to get around MM by going inside they were met by Dielman
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,758 / 47 / -26
    That makes too much sense....... it will never fly with Matty. :D
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    So was Winston Justice and he was taken before McNeill, so was Eben Britton, Rodger Saffold, Tony Ugoh, Charles Brown, Jeremey Trueblood, Khalif Barnes, Adam Terry....If all of these guys haven't been 2nd round busts, they are certainly guys who have lost their jobs at some point, and it gets much MUCH worse when you go into the 3rd round which is where guys like Mills and Thomas will go. Even Vollmer couldn't hold the LT job, he was quickly replaced with a 1st rounder.

It really comes down to 2 guys in the last 7-8 years or so, Beatty and Whitworth. The point is the risk factor goes way up the longer you wait for a LT.
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Sebastian Vollmer was always a ROT. He doesn't have the athleticism to play LOT, at all, never did.

This year, there's a lot of athleticism at the OT position, so much that you can take a premium OG, and take a 2nd day pick on a athletic OT, who can play LOT. Especially with the zone scheme we'll be running.

Here are some non-1st rounders who've played at LOT, and performed/performing well,

Cordy Glenn (2nd rounder)
    Rodger Saffold (2nd rounder)
    Will Beatty (2nd rounder)
    Michael Roos (2nd rounder)
    Andrew Whitworth (2nd rounder)
    Donald Stephenson (3rd rounder)
    Jared Veldheer (3rd rounder)
    Donald Penn (Undrafted)

LOT's are hard to come by. But, their are many raw, and very athletic prospects. There's an obvious talent drop off after Eric Fisher and Luke Joeckel. And if Lane Johnson goes top-10, I think a team is reaching. But nonetheless, guys like Terron Armstead, Menelik Watson, Jordan Mills, Xavier Nixon, Dallas Thomas, JC Tretter, and possibly Reid Fragel could all be solid LOT's.
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    The Sideline View's Adam Caplan reports there are two to three teams showing some interest in restricted free agent WR Danario Alexander.
    Caplan doesn't specify which teams, but he adds that clubs don't want to waste their time if they think San Diego will match any offer sheet. The Chargers tendered Alexander at the original-pick level, and they've left themselves vulnerable to being pick-pocketed since DX wasn't drafted. Teams have until April 19 to make offers to restricted free agents like Alexander
  10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 11 / -0
    Thoughts on Brendon Ayanbadejo now that he's been released by the Ravens?

I know he's a linebacker but that's about it. I honestly know him more for his twitter updates and political activism, so I don't know what value he'd have for us or if he was a good fit if he'd be affordable. That and his age leads me to believe he's not someone the new regime would go for (youth movement and all that) but I'd love to hear what you guys think of him as a player.
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    He was nothing more than a special teamer in Baltimore. Like you said, he was an outgoing guy on social media, which lead to his release. Bad mouthed the Patriots before their Championship game as well, though he apologized, but still, you don't want a new regime, which will include some young players, to look up to a fool like Ayanbadejo, a 36, soon to be 37 year old who acts like he's 16.

If we're gonna sign an older vet at ILB that is 35+, bring back TKO for the vet minimum or just above it to be honest. Unless he wants to join a contender, but he knows the system, has been around here before. But, hardly doubt that happens, looks like the torch has been handed to Donald Butler by TT, MM, and Pags. I expect the ILB to be paired with Butler to come via the draft.
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    I hope we don't match anything.

Wouldn't be surprised to see New England here, knows Josh McDaniels, and a need for a WR like DX, when healthy is there. But, that's a big obstacle for a guy like DX to over come.

Baltimore, Cleveland and Pittsburgh out there as well most likely.

We remember what happened to the last guy we gave a good chunk of money to after playing a little more than a quarter of the season now don't we?
  13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    I found it odd that Rivers had no idea who he was though?, this guy Cooper is the next Dermontti Dawson imho. If Lane Johnson is gone I am all for taking Cooper.
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Free agent DT Antonio Johnson visited the Chargers.
    Johnson started 13 games for the Colts last season, but won't be back after they revamped their defensive line. He graded out as the sixth-worst defensive tackle in Pro Football Focus' ratings, and ideally wouldn't be a starter for the Bolts.

The only thing that would make this sound more appealing is if it said our guys ranked 4th or 5th worst
  15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  16. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I wonder how many games we would have won without DX last season? This could be one of the worst/highest paid WR groups in the league if he lands elswhere.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Especially if you take into consideration that right now our 2 projected starters are DX and Floyd

Floyd has the option to make 4 million this year
    Royal is making 3
    Meachem will be sitting on the bench with 5 million
    That is 12 million

Brown who is making 555,000 who should be starting opposite of DX those 2 combined would be making 2 million

I'd prefer to have a lineup of

WR1 DX, FA (Ramses Barden, Early Doucet type player)
    WR2 Vincent Brown, Drafted player

Instead of the mess we're looking at.

Now I too was guilty being under the spell of being FA stuck but none of it panned out and now were stuck in a situation where we can't afford to attempt an upgrade. Thanks again AJ :tup:

Oh not to mention SF just made Anthony Davis the 5th highest paid RT which is well deserved, guess who is the 7th highest paid RT:sick:
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,758 / 47 / -26
    Tom is showing AJ that he's not the only GM who can dumpster dive. ;)
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    The only difference is Telesco's paying under value while AJ would have offered the same players 3 years 13 million guaranteed.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
  21. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    butler is a speedy shifty wr kind of in the eddie royal mold.. broke his leg in 2011 but if hes back to full strength he may be able to make the roster
  22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Pretty much. Also has added special teams value. I wouldn't be shocked to see him take Goodman's spot TBH. Folks tend to forget that we're going to take a roster of like 90 guys into camp, and not all of them are going to be rookies (drafted or otherwise UDFA).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I don't expect DePalma to make the 53 but I do find it interesting that, in practice DePalma played the role of Welker so the Giants could get ready for him in the SB, Oddly enough Welker is a Bronco now.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    would be thrilled to see him take goodmans spot on the team i think hes the biggest waste of a roster spot... and yeah out of the 3 free agents we signed today id be shocked if the other 2 make the team
  25. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    "Talks" between Cowboys and Eric Winston "heating up".
  26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Honestly I wouldn't be surprise if Butler took over Royals spot, very similar players
  27. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    yeah but you really wouldnt be surprised if he took over royals spot? royal didnt have a good season last year but then again nobody on our offense did besides danario so i dont blame him... i would be SHOCKED if butler stole royals job as the slot wr
  28. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Butler is coming off injury, hold your horses.

Royal, is way ahead of the curve on some of these guys at WR. He knows McCoy's terminology and what not. I'm not expecting much, but I really need to see Royal step it up this year.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    There's not going to be much of any FA moves made until after the draft so don't expect things to pick up until may
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,758 / 47 / -26
    Eric Winston wants $3-4 million, calls free agency “frustrating”
    Posted by Michael David Smith on April 9, 2013, 9:24 AM EDT
    Free agent right tackle Eric Winston says he just wants to be paid a fair wage for a starting offensive lineman, and he’s getting frustrated that no NFL teams are willing to pay him what he thinks he’s worth.
    Winston said on Sirius XM NFL Radio that he knows he won’t get the kind of money he got last year from the Chiefs, when he signed a four-year, $22 million contract that included a $4 million signing bonus. The Chiefs cut him to avoid paying a $4.9 million base salary for 2013, and now Winston is just hoping some team will pay him more than $3 million in salary this year.
    “In the $3-4 million range is something that I think is more than fair for a starter who has played pretty well throughout his career,” Winston said.
    Although Winston had an offer from the Chargers and has talked to the Cowboys, his sense so far is that teams are being extremely careful with money this offseason.
    “It’s also frustrating in the sense that there are still a lot of teams with money to spend, but it doesn’t seem like anyone wants to spend it,” Winston said.
    The one right tackle who made good money from a new team this offseason was Gosder Cherilus, who left the Lions for the Colts on a five-year, $35 million contract with a $10 million signing bonus and a fully guaranteed $5.5 million salary this year. Winston laughed when he was asked about the huge contract that Cherilus got, although he declined to say whether he thinks he deserves more money than Cherilus.
    “No comment on that one,” Winston said.
    What Winston will comment on is this: If you’re a right tackle and your name is not Gosder Cherilus, the free agent market stinks.