1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    I'm guessing the Chargers probably offered him 2 mil a year. If it were any more he'd probably already have signed. It's possible he still may end up signing if no one else offers more. Although mixed stories are suggesting Dallas is the front runner for his services.
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,689 / 44 / -26
    Jerry was always a believer that a championship can be bought. ;)
  3. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    This dude is pissing and moaning like a little kid that is made to sit at the dinner table until he eats all of his food. Grow up dude, you are in the NFL making millions of dollars. God guys like this irritate the hell out of me.
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    If anyone's "stealing" Royal's spot it's like going to be Brown bumping Floyd from his starter's spot and M80 seeing action in the slot which he operated out of with success when we ran VJ and Chambers on the wings (though I expect us to rotate our receivers a decent amount this year). Also, where Royal has the leg up on Butler is that Royal has thus far proven in his career to be more effective on bubble-screens and sweeps - which both McCoy and Wiz used with some frequency in their past gigs.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    What a baby, makes me not even want him here any more.

He has a point, but a ROT is not worth an average salary of $7M a year at all (Gosder Cherilus). I think even Telesco is laughing at his former boss for such a stupid contract. But, I think he is really doing all he can to get rid of Jeromey Clary's over paid contract.

Now, Anthony Davis' contract is the model for other ROT's. He's averaging $6.1M a year but he is also the top ROT in the league. So, I'd say Eric Winston is worth about $2.5-3M a year.
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken
    4m

Chargers reached out today to free agent LT Bryant McKinnie's representation. Been a "couple general discussions" between sides, per source.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    OH GOD.

Please no, I mean I guess I'll take him on a 1 year deal, but don't give this guy a long-term deal, he's gonna be 34, nothing more than a 1 year deal please, this guy acts foolishly at times.

Still think he'll return to the Ravens though.
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    Still, probably the best option for Plan B if we can't get on of the top LT's

Mckinnie and Cooper on the left side look a lot better than 2nd or 3rd round rookie LT and Cooper (rookie)

2 Rookies on the left side is pretty scary
  9. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Well I don't know if I'd start them on both the same side if they were even selected, but Bryant McKinnie is a 1 year rental. He's gonna be 34. The longer we put off LOT as a need, the faster its going to catch up on us. AJ did this way too much, and we don't want a repeat of that.

I still see us taking an OT even if we signed him, keeping that rookie at ROT until he's ready to move to LOT in 2014. I think if we sign another OT to a good chunk of change, most likely means Jeromey Clary is out the door. :tup:
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    McKinnie is the best plan B available. Worst case scenario he's a real one-two year rental while someone we select later in the draft learns his trade and takes over LT eventually. Best case he'd be a hell of an improvement over Jeromey Clary (not saying much I know) with (Insert Tackle here) manning the left side.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,689 / 44 / -26
    Chargers inquire about LT Bryant McKinnie
    By Michael Gehlken 3:12 P.M. APRIL 10, 2013

An athletic, yet-to-be-drafted rookie could be the Chargers' left tackle in 2013.

Or, perhaps, they'll go the veteran route.

San Diego reached out Wednesday to the representation of Bryant McKinnie, the latest of a "couple general discussions" between the two sides, a source said. The former Ravens left tackle helped key Baltimore's Super Bowl run this past year, starting all four playoff games after working as a reserve in the regular season.

No deal is imminent. No visit to San Diego is planned.

Pursuit of McKinnie, who turns 34 in September, could turn more heated should the team not find a starting left tackle during the April 25-27 draft. The 6-foot-8, 354-pound veteran has started 147 of 164 career games, spending the first nine seasons of his career in Minnesota before two in Baltimore.

McKinnie reportedly battled weight issues in recent years. He is training this offseason in Miami.
    San Diego has already signed one left tackle, King Dunlap, in free agency. The 6-foot-9 veteran is versatile, able to play at either tackle spot and shift inside to guard, projecting as a top option off the bench.
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    What Ant said, I still see us selecting a LT, just if the top 3 are gone, I'd rather see us take sign McKinnie giving our draftee time to develop
  13. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    Good Lord Ant - if McKinnie is the "best plan B available" the NFL is hurting worse than I thought. Ever since reading that story, (Blue put a copy here), I've been hearing the theme from "The Love Boat" rolling through my mind... McKinnie has more violations of team rules and police contact than the NFL should allow IMO. After being cut by the Vikes, and signed by the Ravens just before the 2011 regular season, in 2012 he was fined $30k for failing to show up for training camp - I was just observing to Jackfrosting that he only saw spot play during the regular season last year (he didn't start a single one) but is now trying to cash in and get starter's pay at (almost) 34 because he took all the snaps during their playoff run... Somebody ought ta ask Brett Favre what HIS honest opinion is of "Mount" McKinnie...

I am hoping/praying Telesco and the Chargers are just doing due diligence on this one.. Same for Winston on the right side unless he comes in damn cheap. Both of those guys are trying to cash in on a few games - and I really question whether or not Harbaugh wants McKinnie back unless its a financial "fit" - Fat Andy already cut Winston. Bolts have done enough barrel scraping while paying through the nose, now TT has to reverse that trend and if it takes a couple of years to set the ship aright through the draft with intelligent use of $ for FAs then so be it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings Received:
    +956 / 2 / -2
    Nails post - and never one truer. McNeill simply could NOT handle the inside spin move EVER - and anybody that watched the O-Line knew it was Dielman saving PR's bacon more often than not, (when he wasn't having to cover a Hardwina mistake). Dielman belongs in the Chargers Hall because he had to play 1.5 positions on the offensive line. ;)
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    McKinnie just won a Super Bowl, he can't be that bad. More troubling is whats our alternative? Starting a kid strait out of Arkansas Pine Bluff? You think Armstead or Watson (who played RT not LT at FSU) can handle Tamba Hali's rip move today?

I would take him on a 1 year deal, tell him he has to compete for the job, and if he wins we can give Armstead or Watson a year to learn the LT position where all the pressure is not on them.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Umm Mike Harris did? He only allowed 1 sack..
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Well then I guess we're set at LT aren't we?
  18. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    No, I'm just saying if Mike Harris gives up 1 sack against Tamba Hali, and was an UDFA who saw most of his time at LOG at UCLA then I think a 1st or 2nd rounder could as good as job or even better. Take into account we're playing a more zone scheme too versus man from last year.
  19. Stallion1994

Stallion1994 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    So did Trent Dilfer ;)
  20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,551 / 44 / -6
    I simply like what Telli is doing, he hasn't entered a panic mode as it seems a rather large measure of Bolt fans have. Harris, a total wash in the minds of many gained a wealth of experience last year in his baptism by fire and came out healthy. You and I don't have to agree on shite. The men in the know have looked over the stock in the stable and are probably already figuring on the team in which to hitch the yoke too.
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    He knows there is a good chance this draft goes sideways on us and he's doing his best to create contingency plans.

I've been saying for a while I think its very likely we don't leave draft weekend with a legitimate future LT prospect, so I am open to a 1 year deal for a guy like McKinnie.
  22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Chudzinski bringing old friends in for Browns tryouts

Posted by Darin Gantt on April 16, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
    AP
    New coaches in new cities create new opportunities for old fringe players.
    Such as it always has been, it is in Cleveland again.

The Browns announced they were bringing wide receivers Legedu Naanee and Seyi Ajirotutu in for minicamp on a tryout basis.

Both played under new Browns offensive coordinator Norv Turner with the Chargers, then Browns head coach Rob Chudzinski dragged them both to the Panthers when he was offensive coordinator there.

Aside from being hard to spell and knowledgeable of the system to be installed, it’s hard to know what they’re bringing to the table. But they’re bringing it, this week.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/
  23. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    I actually "laughed out loud".
  24. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  25. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,689 / 44 / -26
    Pats come in at the 11th hour and offer him $2 million for the season. ;)
  27. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Eh, I could see it and I could not see it.

Guess we'll just have to be patient and wait it out.
  28. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    A little more on that...

www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football

I know it sounds a bit counterproductive given that we have a need at LOT, but this is still something of a win for us. The Chiefs stay the Chiefs and are effectively still not much more than the pre-Wade Texans or pre-Griffin Redskins. This is a lateral move for them and once again KC will opt for the free agent QB over actually drafting a franchise QB of their own. I think it's been something like 25 years or more since a QB that was actually drafted by the Chiefs led them to a playoff win (2-3 free agent QB's like Green and Montana have, and Grbac might have, but not a single one they've drafted).

At what point can we reclaim the Lamar Hunt Trophy and rename it for a more competent owner? And no, I'm not advocating Spanos in the least for this, but even the Paul Brown Trophy would make more sense
  30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    forget about the playoffs, it has been that long since a QB they drafted won even a regular season game,