1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agency 2013

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Jan 21, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Yes keep Spikes. What other defensive leaders do they really have? I would like to see someone step up into a toned down Ray Lewis type of role. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Chargers FS Eric Weddle said he would be willing to restructure his deal in order to create cap space.
    Weddle is due $6 million in 2013, so he could reduce his cap number by converting his base salary into a signingbonus. Phillip Rivers has also told the Chargers that he would be open to restructuring his contract. San Diego is currently around $8 million under the salary cap.
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Chiefs re-signed WR Dwayne Bowe to a five-year contract.

Chiefs assigned the franchise tag to LT Branden Albert.
    Instead of letting blue-chip players in Albert and Dwayne Bowe walk, the rebuilding Chiefs got aggressive and kept both with 11th-hour maneuverings. Whereas Bowe is sticking around via a five-year deal, Albert will be due $9.83 million once he signs his one-year tender. The sides have until mid-July to reach a long-term agreement, but the Chiefs may decide Albert's balky back make it best that he plays under a one-year deal. The moves throw a major wrench into the top of the draft, as Texas A&M LT Luke Joeckel no longer has an obvious home in Kansas City. GM John Dorsey has insisted keeping Albert wouldn't preclude him from drafting Joeckel, but trading down is now the Chiefs' most logical move.
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Dorsey, GM of the Chiefs had said that tagging or re-signing Albert woudln't shy them away from drafting an OL in the 1st round.

But, I highly doubt they'll go that route, Shariff Floyd is going No.1.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Maybe Milliner?

I'm wondering what's going to happen now; I maintain the Eagles aren't going OL and I'm inclined to think that the Chiefs won't go OL as well. If Joeckel and Smith fall at the same time, who would Cards go after? There's a small chance Joeckel could actually fall to us.....but at the very least I feel a little more confident that Fischer will be there
  6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    at this point I'd be happy if Lane Johnson was there at #11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    I call bullshit on Dorsey, they'll have to play Albert LT money, they're already paying Eric Winston big money for RT and Donald Stephenson is a solid backup.

I think Dee Milliner is a shoe in if they can't trade out.
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Think it makes sense for Jax to go Eric Fisher at No.2 with a need at RT..
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    HAHAHA the 2nd overall pick on a RT? NEVER going to happen.

They desperately need pass rushers, they're going to let their #1 CB walk, and the other (Cox) is going to try to out price himself in FA. I could also see them going Floyd or Lotulelei as Knighton is a UFA.

And besides all that Fisher is a better fit on the left side, and would balk at being drafted to play RT as it would impact his financial value.
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Fisher is a LOT, no doubt, but they could move Monroe over or keep Fisher there until Monroe's contract is up, his play has been inconsistent, but with Bradley there, I expect them to draft Dion Jordan or a DT.
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Pie in the sky buddy, if you can justify the Jags taking him you can justify every team in the top 10 taking him. But the bottom line is they have bigger needs.
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    For one I think KC will try to trade out of the 1st pick to get that 2nd back they gave up for Alex Smith, If no such luck I expect the see Floyd or Lotulelei taken with the number 1 pick. Here's hoping Miliner is sill @ come pick pick 5.

In this situation I think by hook or by crook The LT's could slip due to KC doing us a favor keeping Albert for one more season.

Worst case scenario they wait one more year and use a 1st rounder on the LT crop.

I can't wait until TT starts making some moves, just would be nice to get a little info from the beat writers from time to time to keep us updated. It appears Acee isn't so chummy yet, past couple years he was telling us what AJ and Norv were having for breakfast.
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    There is nobody worth the #1 pick, nobody will trade with them.

And its more about who people think JAX and Oakland will take, I don't see anyone at 2 or 3 who is worth trading up to #1 overall for. Unless the Lions have a real hard on for Milliner.
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Unless AZ or Buffalo decide to make Geno Smith once again the projected number 1 over all pick. Im sure between now and the draft one team will fall in love with a player to make a move. If KC doesn't find a trade partner then Sharrif Floyd would be a nice consolation prize. For all we know we could also see the very first guard or DB taken with the first overall pick.
  15. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +141 / 2 / -0
    Gimme Sam Shields please... cant imagine he'd be very expensive
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    The Packers plan to discuss a long-term deal with restricted free agent CB Sam Shields.
    The Packers will place at least a second-round tender on Shields, and could look to sign him to an extension rather than pay him the roughly $2 million he would count against the cap on a one-year deal. Shields missed significant time due to injury in 2012, but will return in a starting role with Green Bay.
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Acee is no longer the beat writer
  18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    I know Gehlken is the new beat writer, but Acee still does his stories also. It seems like Acee still does more writing and gives more info about the Chargers next move.

He was the one who broke the Telesco, McCoy hirings.

He's the one who suggests Gaither is all but gone.

He gave us what little source there was about Telesco's plan to go heavy on o line this off season
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I know he is still writing and still probably is the most knowledgeable of the UT's writers, I was simply pointing out that Acee wasn't the beat writer since you said "a little info from the beat writers from time to time to keep us updated.".
  20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    I just figured I'd name Acee since he's the more household name:)

Having said that, I know its too early and Free agency hasn't even started but it would be nice if Telesco would start making some noise (re signing one of our own guys, tendering a RFA, re leasing someone, re working a contract something) The front office was killing it with the coaching then it seems (from our perspective) they just went into hibernation. I know that they're just figuring out a plan, but they're being a little too quiet.
  21. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,558 / 11 / -0
    Not that I'd expect us to nab him up IF he becomes available but... interesting...

JasonLaCanfora: Broncos like pass rusher Elvis Dumervil, but not at $12M/year. They are seeking a lower deal, and situation could end up with his release... (44 seconds ago from Twitter for Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    He was damn good in the 3-4, for him I'd let Phillips hit the road
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
  24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Chiefs released RT Eric Winston.
    Winston just signed a four-year, $22 million contract with Kansas City last offseason, but after franchising LT Branden Albert on Monday and there being a plethora of young tackle prospects in the draft, his services were no longer needed. The move saves just $700,000 in cap space. Winston should have plenty of options on the open market. For what it's worth, he's played most of his career in a zone-blocking scheme. A reunion with the Texans would make some sense. The Dolphins, Rams, Ravens, Redskins and Lions also showed interest in him last offseason. His release clears a path for the Chiefs to take one of Luke Joeckel or Eric Fisher with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft if they so choose.
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,104 / 34 / -21
    Stephenson is a very capable RT, I don't think this changes their position that much.
  26. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    No, but if I were Telesco I'd be playing that "How much do you want to stick it to the Chiefs?" card pretty heavily. He's just last year gotten a nearly $9 million payout (given bonuses and wages), so he could well be amenable to a deal that's a little easier on the 1st year provided he gets more security out of the length of the contract. Penciling him back to the Texans is a cop-out; Gary Kubiak is a big time Derek Newton supporter (hence why they let Winston walk in the first place) and isn't likely to back off from that stance.
  27. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Chiefs just released RT Eric Winston

Telesco, get your *** on the phone and call him immediately
    • Agree Agree x 2
  28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,281 / 12 / -5
  29. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +260 / 4 / -0
    Hey guys, the Chiefs just released Eric Winston!
  30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    All of you asking about Eric Winston being signed by Chargers must not think much of Jeromey Clary. Haha... Gotta get my laughs where I can