1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agent Frenzy

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 13, 2012.

1. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    AJ might be looking at players that will be cut in June. Are there any NT RG SS that are rumored to be let go then?
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
  3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2012, 10:28 AM EDT

As an astute (and hilarious) PFT commenter pointed out last night, the Redskins’ quarterback depth chart now consists of RG3 and RG3-and-out.
    The old RG — Rex Grossman — has signedanother one-year deal with the Redskins, and he understands that, this time around, it won’t be to compete for the starting position. It’ll be to teach the new RG the Kyle Shanahan offense.
    “I know they’re going to draft a franchise QB,” Grossman told ESPN 980 on Saturday night. ”If I’m on the team, I’m gonna help out that guy get up too speed, but I’ll also be ready to play. I’m gonna be a good soldier, and I’ll be busting my *** to help him out.”
    Grossman is on this third one-year contract with the Redskins. He started 13 games in 2011, after getting three starts during the McNabb misadventure of 2010.
    “Beyond the business side of it, I love all my teammates, I love the system,” Grossman said. ”I really want to see this thing through and see the Redskins turn this thing around.”
    It’s a great attitude, and it’s exactly what the Redskins need: a backup quarterback who knows his role, and who does his job at a reasonable price. A tenth-year veteran who under the CBA commands a minimum salary of $925,000, the Redskins presumably signed him pursuant to the minimum-salary benefit, which keeps his cap number at $540,000.
    The return of Grossman could mean that another quarterback will be losing his job. John Beck remains under contract, at a base salary of $1.3 million. With the Redskins doing everything they can to create cap room, don’t be surprised if the soon say buh-bye to Beck.
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    So the skins have RGIII & RGINT?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Alex Smith says nothing surprises him anymore

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT

Getty Images
    Many are surprised that Alex Smith, the first overall pick in the 2005 draft, has spent his entire career with the 49ers. Smith isn’t surprised by the fact that it could all be ending because of the unexpected availability of Peyton Manning.
    “This is the NFL. I guess nothing surprises me anymore,” Smith told Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. ”I never thought a year ago Manning would be a free agent either,” Smith said. ”I’m never surprised by anything.”
    Smith made his remarks as he arrived in Miami, where the Dolphins are left to consider the potential scraps from the Peyton chase — and where Smith’s scramble for a possible new team has begun.
    Some view the courtship of Smith and Matt Flynn as an either/or proposition. It could be that the Dolphins ultimately sign both. With Flynn unproven and no one else banging on Smith’s door, he may decide that his best chance at playing again comes if he takes the No. 2 spot behind Flynn.
    It would be a surprise if that happens. But as Smith said himself, nothing should surprise him — or anyone else — anymore.
  6. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    How great would it be if Manning doesn't sign with the 49ers and Alex Smith signs with another team? :D
  7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,577 / 44 / -6
    Is Manning getting signing advice from Brett Favre?????
  8. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3

Posted by Evan Silva on March 18, 2012, 3:04 PM EDT

Reuters
    Free agent quarterback Alex Smith is in Miami visiting the Dolphins on Sunday. If he sticks to his current schedule, that will only be the beginning of Smith’s 2012 free agency tour.
    Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee reports that Smith’s itinerary includes a visit to the Seattle Seahawks this week.
    Citing multiple sources, Barrows also reports that Smith is “upset” at the 49ers for their pursuit of top free agent quarterback Peyton Manning, and there is “a growing belief” Smith might not return to San Francisco, even if the Niners whiff on Manning.
    Before their aggressive pursuit of Manning, the 49ers had proposed Smith a three-year, $24 million contract. While interest from Seattle and Miami is somewhat promising, it’s hard to imagine Smith commanding a better offer from either team.
    What would the Niners do if they lost out on both Manning and Smith?
    The team did trade up into the second round of last April’s draft for Colin Kaepernick. CSN Bay Area’s Matt Maiocco has also suggested the 49ers could reunite coach Jim Harbaugh with free agent Josh Johnson, formerly of the Buccaneers. Johnson was Harbaugh’s quarterback at the University of San Diego.
    Johnson has not been drawing much free agent interest.
  9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,778 / 47 / -26
    I have to admit, that would be fun to see the 49ers fans go ape ****. :D
  10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +414 / 7 / -1
    Matt Flynn is a Seahawk apparently.
  11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +414 / 7 / -1
    Would be surprised if Alex Smith does not end up in Miami now. Anyone else think even Brady Quinn might offer more than CBJ?. I'd be more confident in Quinn coming in over CBJ especially with Norv and Ramsdell teaching him.
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Brady Quinn signed with KC yesterday
  13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +414 / 7 / -1
    Yeah I know but he was available when we got CBJ... I'd have been happier with Quinn.
  14. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings Received:
    +66 / 2 / -0
    http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1168912&nid=5578913&fhn=1

Matt Flynn joins Seahawksby Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, March 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm ET

Matt Flynn Profile

Former Green Bay Packers backup quarterback Matt Flynn is the Seattle Seahawks' new quarterback after agreeing to terms today, the team announced.

According to ESPN, it's a three-year contract worth up to $26 million that includes $10 million guaranteed.

Flynn also visited the Miami Dolphins, who are hosting San Francisco 49ers free agent quarterback Alex Smith today.

Flynn had previously visited the Seahawks.

Rather than use a $14.4 million franchise tag on Flynn, the Packers let him become an unrestricted free agent.

A former seventh-round draft pick from LSU who led the Tigers to a national championship, Flynn set Packers records with six touchdowns and 480 passing yards in a 45-41 win over the Detroit Lions on Jan. 1, 2012.
  15. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3

Posted by Mike Florio on March 18, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT

Getty Images
    Instead of waiting for the Peyton chase to knock a starting quarterback to the curb, the Dolphins have decided to make a pre-emptive strike, actively pursuing Alex Smith, who led the 49ers to a 14-3 record in 2011.
    Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that theDolphins are negotiating with Smith, and that Smith could get a deal in the range of $8 million per year.
    Of course, Smith already has on the table a three-year, $24 million offer from the 49ers, which if my math is correct (and rarely it is), that’s an average of $8 million.
    Klis speculates that, if the Niners miss out on Peyton Manning, they could targetMatthew Hasselbeck, whom many (me included) believe the 49ers should have signed in 2011.
    Of course, Hasselbeck may not be available if the Titans don’t land Manning.
    If that happens, don’t be surprised if Colin Kaepernick is the starting quarterback in San Francisco come September.
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,160 / 37 / -21
    Add Alex Smith to the long list of Dolphin's failures since Dan Marino...

Cleo Lemon
    Jay Fiedler
    Ray Lucas
    John Beck
    Damon Huard
    Brian Griese
    Joey Harrington
    Gus Ferotte
    Matt Moore
    Chad Henne

The only even semi-successfull one was Pennington and he couldn't stay healthy.
  17. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    well he has a running game, maybe not the bruising type in SF but pretty good one at that with Thomas and Bush. And a pretty good defense too.

Smith played great against the Giants, if Kyle Williams doesn't make two bonehead mistakes their in the Super Bowl and I don't think we would be having this convo.

Smith only threw 5 INT's last year.. but wasn't very accurate only completing 61 % of his passes. I see either a dud or a good QB. Don't think its much of an upgrade over Matt Moore though. But guess we'll see, Miami certainly needs to find a WR that can be a #1.
  18. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    Tolbert gone to Panthers... sucks.
  19. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3

Posted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2012, 7:19 PM EDT

Getty Images
    Last night, Steelers safety Ryan Clark said “no one” wants to play for the Dolphins. On Monday, the Dolphins decided that they didn’t want one of their safeties to play for the Dolphins any longer.
    A league source tells PFT that Yeremiah Bellwill be released.
    Bell, an eight-year veteran, joined the team via round six of the 2003 draft. He has appeared in every game for the last four years, starting all but one.
    The move creates $4.3 million in salary-cap space for the Dolphins. Bell was in the final year of his contract.
  20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    Chargers signed TE Dante Rosario
  21. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +265 / 4 / -0
    Yo, Pointy! You know the drill
  22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
  23. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Don't send him here. I am just pointing out the release. :poop:
  24. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3

Posted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT

Getty Images
    Well, Ryan Clark was wrong.
    Last night, the Steelers safety said “no one” wants to play for the Dolphins. On Monday night, quarterback David Garrard decided to do so, according to Jay Glazer of FOX.
    Yes, Garrard is a Dolphin.
    He was due to visit the Rams after visiting the Dolphins. Perhaps he believes Miami’s inability to land Peyton Manning or Matt Flynn or, apparently, Alex Smith makes it easier for Garrard to win the starting job.
    A nine-year veteran, Garrard became the starter in Jacksonville on Labor Day weekend, 2007. Four years later, on the same weekend, Garrard was dumped.
    He missed all of 2011 after undergoing back surgery.
  25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Wimbley to Titans as DE.
  26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,577 / 44 / -6
    The bolt's should be able to score from anywhere on the field now, but will they be able to stop the other team from scoring?
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,778 / 47 / -26
    They had to do something...... they missed out on everybody else. Natives were getting restless. ;)
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,778 / 47 / -26
    Maybe, Acee isn't a complete idiot....... ;)

[​IMG]UTKevinAcee @UTKevinAcee

RT @biggsybolt: So does AJ trade up for Perry now. We need some one to pressure Manning. >All I know is they better go D, D, D in draft.
  29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Even a blind squirrel ..... ;)

I do think that AJ is setting the team up to focus on defense. I have no issue there .... I just hope that he wouldn't pass on a long-term solution like DeCastro if he's BPA at 18.

Not sure that I can buy into trading UP for Perry. I'd sooner trade up for Keuchly - more of a sure prospect.
  30. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    Mercilus and Perry should be there at 18, can't imagine there'd be a run on pass rushers baring some major change. But I also know AJ and Norv pushed Jarret Johnson as a player who would start AND because he'd keep Barnes/Laboy/Phillips even off the field on obvious running downs, that would improve their pass rush. I do think they'll go pass rusher SOMEWHERE but i agree they're going BPA in the first