1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agent Frenzy

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    I don't think any one player is the answer to our defensive woes...... I'd hate to trade up, unless it's a future pick we're sacrificing. We need as much ammo as possible.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I agree - just saying that if that IS AJ's plan, he better be going for a sure thing. Keuchly, IMO, may be the safest 1st rounder in the draft.
  3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,063 / 30 / -0
    Am I the only one intrigued with the idea of signing Yeremiah Bell? He's a solid SS, certainly an upgrade from Gregory. Of course, with a weak FA class at safety and lots of teams in the hunt for safety help, the price might be too high,
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    no
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    I've been bored as **** (worst time of year for sports) and rewatching some games from the 2011 season on NFL Game Rewind, which I highly recomment for football addicts. There is no better way to seperate emotion from the game than to rewatch it IMO, and I noticed a few things I'd like to note about our defense....

Negatives:
    Jammer - As much as I blame Manusky for playing him off too much, this guy may be completely done. His foot speed has deteriorated so much since '09 '10 seasons.
    Gregory - IS AWFUL. He gets manhandled by WRs and TEs alike, he dives into the wrong gap way too often opening up cut back lanes for RBs. I can't believe the Patriots paid this guy, he had a horrible '11 season.
    LaBoy - Obvious one. Big sample size as he played a lot of snaps, he is not a good player.
    Liuget - Played terribly most of the time. He was washed out, stood up, and erased from the play way too much. You can tell he wants to be a penetrator, not a guy who takes up blockers.....which of course we knew because we watched his college film.:rolleyes:

Positives:
    Butler - This guy is the real deal, excellent tackler, sheds blocks well, I think AJ deserves some serious credit for this pickup. He's going to be EXPENSIVE to re-sign if we wait until next offseason.
    Phillips - He can still play, when he was healthy he made an impact, I wouldn't be surprised if we did give him another year on his deal.
    Gilchrist - Doesn't have the size or speed to ever be a #1 IMO, and made a few extremely unfortunant penalties (rookie mistakes) that led to points, but he flashed legit ability to be a very solid #2 CB.
    Martin - More often than not he did was 3-4 DE's are paid to do, take up linemen. He's never going to be a sack master, but on 3rd downs he is probably our best interior pass rusher.
    Harris - What a great pickup, dude was all over the field the last few games. We need him back.

The defense has some good young talent, but not enough athleticism IMO. Guys like Spikes, Cesaire, LaBoy, Gregory, Jammer, Diggs, and Larry English are either aging poorly, or are simply not good athletes and all need to have replacements groomed pronto. If I were AJ I'd spend 5 or 6 picks on defense, maybe sparring one for OT or RB in the 3rd or later.
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    No mention for Thomas? :confused:

[​IMG]
  7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    You have the gif - what more do ya want? ;)
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    Not a positive or a negative mention at least, he was just decent. Looks a little lazy standing up out of his stance when he knows a pass is coming, but holds ground pretty well against the run most of the time.

I'm not overly confident he'll be Jamal 2.0
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    A merchandizing contract!........ damn agents. :rolleyes:
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    I think he'll work well in a tandem until we see how good he becomes. Apparently, they've already offered Garay a deal...... whether he accepts it is another matter. Would still like to take a NT high in the draft.
  11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Same here. I like Poe's potential but actually see him as a better fit at 5-tech if he goes to a 3-4 team.

Josh Chapman has the build for NT.
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    Tebow traded to Jets for 4th round pick

Sean Payton suspended 1 yr
    Mickey Loomis for 8 games
    Gregg Williams suspended indefinitely

Twitter breaking
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    Busy day. :D
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    As long as it's a good NT prospect, then I'll be happy.

It's criminal that a team running the 3-4 has taken so long to find a viable replacement for Jamal Williams. :mad:
  15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Wow ..... About time Goodell smacked someone besides a player.

Tebow in NYC - that should test his will. :rolleyes: Think he can clean up Rex's potty mouth? :laugh:
  16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Absolutely. Really makes you question the football IQ of our scouts & decision makers.
  17. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 4 / -0
    Links immediately, if true then headexplode.gif
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    It's that "good enough", and "every player can't be a Pro Bowler" mentality. If you accept average, than that's what you will be as a team.
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26

Boom goes the dynamite!!! :roflmao:

Goodell lowers boom on the Saints
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 21, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT

[​IMG]
    Getty Images

As expected, Commissioner Roger Goodell has hit the Saints hard for the bounty system that was employed for three seasons.

Per a league source, head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for the full year.

But it could have been worse for Payton. Former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been suspended indefinitely. (Presumably, that means at least a year.)

Also, G.M. Mickey Loomis has been suspended for eight games.

More to come.
  20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,430 / 19 / -4
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 4 / -0
    That **** Cray and all, but I meant Tebow. I can't find anything on my phone anywhere.
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    Jets acquire Tim Tebow from Broncos for fourth-round pick
    Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT

Tim Tebow is a New York Jet.

One day after the Denver Broncos signed Peyton Manning as their new starting quarterback, Denver has traded Tebow to the Jets for a fourth-round draft pick.

The trade ends a tenure in Denver with Tebow that was one of the most astonishing two-year stints that any player has ever had with any team. Tebow was a surprise first-round draft pick in the 2010 NFL draft, then surprisingly became the starter in the fifth game of the 2011 season, and then shockingly led the Broncos to a series of improbable comeback victories and became arguably the NFL’s biggest star.

And now Tebow is with the Jets, one of the many teams he beat with a great fourth-quarter comeback last season. It’s not clear whether the Jets plan to allow Tebow to compete for the starting job, or whether they expect him to be a wildcat quarterback, but the player who’s as famous as any in the league is now in the Big Apple.

Mark Sanchez, Tebowmania is in your rear-view mirror.
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    Poor little Cro

The Jets reportedly are interested in Tebow. Cromartie isn’t.

We don’t need Tebow,” Cromartie wrote on Twitter. ”We sell out every home game let him go to Jacksonville Tampa or Miami. Our wildcat offense can b ran by J. Kerley or Joe McKnight we straight.” :roflmao:
    • Like Like x 1
  24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +234 / 22 / -3
    That is a shocking landing. Beats out Manning to DEN by a longshot.
  25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
  26. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    We are going to have ourselves a crazy football year in 2012/2013..
  27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Is Yeremiah Bell a coverage guy or more of an in-the-box type? his tackles to interceptions ratio is rediculous, which inclines me to the latter, but I haven't ever actually paid attention to his play.
  28. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    Gilchrist is 5 10 195 (darrelle revis is 5 11 198) and gilchrist ran a 4.45 40 at the combine last year not to mention hes a great tackler for a CB as well... Gilchrist wasnt great last year but id disagree with you saying he doesnt have the physical tools to be a #1 CB... Norv is even on record of saying Gilchrist reminds him of champ bailey in his rookie year
  29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,139 / 36 / -21
    There is a huge difference in running a 40yd dash and trying to mirror an NFL WR. Gilchrist doesn't play at 4.45 speed, and maybe thats because he's a rookie and there is a comfort and confidence level that comes with time.

What seperates Revis is his instincts and quickness. His ability to read and have his body react, without ever making a false step or getting suckered by a double move, is second to nobody. Gilchrist is a long way from that level.
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,755 / 47 / -26
    Revis also plays under the Jordan rules....... it's only a foul when the other player does it. ;)