1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agent Frenzy

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 13, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,013 / 33 / -20
    HAHA I agree with that. And Gilchrist sure got burned on some bullshit calls last year.

The Jordy Nelson one really irked me watching it again, the ball was completely uncatchable and Jordy jumped to make it look like PI....gave GB 7pts on a drive that should have ended in a punt.

On that note, we beat GB if not for Aaron Rodgers feet. I fogot how well our defense actually played in pass coverage but got burned by his mobility.
  2. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +131 / 2 / -0
    Mirroring an NFL WR is your coverage skills.. in your previous post you said gilchrist doesnt have the size or speed to be a number 1 CB.. maybe his coverage skills will develop or maybe they wont who knows but even if they dont i dont think it would be because of a lack of size or a lack of speed... being a good cover guy doesnt make you fast and being fast doesnt make you a good cover guy .. i think gilchrist has the physical skills to be a great CB (size,speed,ball skills) its just up to him to refine his technique and improve his coverage skills.. i think once he gets comfortable into a system and gets used to the NFL game we will see a big improvement in his coverage
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,013 / 33 / -20
    Okay I'll take back the size, he is at the minimum height needed to be considered "tall enough". :tup: But he still doesn't not play with enough speed or quickiness if you'd rather call it, to even sniff Darrell Revis' nuts. Being fast and playing fast are not the same thing.

I like the guy as a player, I am all for him moving into Cason's spot when Jammer leaves, but as a rookie he showed nothing to tell me he'll be capable of covering the Roddy Whites of the league. And I'd absolutely spend at least one pick on CB this year.
  4. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +131 / 2 / -0
    Yeah agreed on taking a CB this year quentin jammer isnt what he once was... and yeah i know what your saying and in no way am i comparing him to revis :( im just thinking (or hoping ;) ) once he gets a little more comfortable with the nfl game he will be able to do less thinking and more reacting which would result in him playing faster on sundays
  5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,013 / 33 / -20
    Two more notes as I re-watch games...

1. If Bob Sanders could have stayed healthy...:(...he played very well the first 2 games.

2. Watching the Chicago game, Norv Turner is 100% to blame for this disaster. He practically gave away our game plan before the game even started, it was the most hyper conservative piece of crap I've ever seen. Mathews and Tolbert were running strait into a wall the entire day, there is no excuse for such offensive ineptitude with this roster.
  6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    I know Bob played really well!.. It's too bad.. but Rivers should of never forced that ball to VJ in the back of the end zone that was the turning point I think..
  7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    Am I the only one who's wondering WTF is going on this year in free agency?

I love Tolbert, but taking less money to go to a place where the roster suggests
    he'll get less carries?

Tebow makes sense to a team with a horrible starter (where he could take over)
    OR a team with a great starter (where he was an obvious back-up)...
    but a team with a mediocre starter--who has fallen out of favor with many of the team's fans--
    seems like a horrible fit. What the Hell are the ("We don't need to read no stinking contracts!") Jets thinking?
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Bears signed Bush.
  9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Damn those Bears.
  10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
  11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    NFL reveals proposed rules changes
    http://www.chargers.com/news/articl...-changes/e565df13-c25a-4773-bff3-3bbc44cb6d70

The NFL owners will consider 14 proposed rules and bylaw changes during their annual meeting March 26-28 in Palm Beach, Fla., the league announced Wednesday.

• Institute an automatic replay official review on all “traditional turnovers” (interceptions and fumbles).
    <------------- MAKE THIS HAPPEN!! Save teams from getting Hocculi'd.
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Bush is getting about $3.5M a year and most likely a starting role. Forte will most likely hold out and this could turn out to a VJ's 2010 2.0 - Marion Barber to be released.
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Brady also just saved the Patriots $7.2M in Free Agency restructuring his contract. He was due $5.7 something this year and that figure is now $950,000. Talk about a helping hand, wonder who the Pats will go after now :tdown:
  14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    Not very many running backs available on the market, unless you really want to go into the draft to find one
  15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Damn that Brady bastard too. This the second or third time hes adjusted his $ on the NE turntable?
  16. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178 / 1 / -0
    he has a brazilian sugar mama so im sure he's not trippin.
  17. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259 / 4 / -0
    1. What is there going to be left to challenge?
    2. How much longer will this extend the game (not much, I know)
    3. This isn't part of the free agent 'frenzy'
  18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    Can you have a sugar mama (or daddy for that matter) when you are making millions already??
  19. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Cedric Benson says goodbye to the Bengals
    Posted by Evan Silva on March 22, 2012, 8:14 PM EDT

Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden indicated in January that free agent running back Cedric Benson wouldn’t be welcomed back in 2012. The team’s signing of BenJarvus Green-Ellis made Benson’s departure all but official.

In an item posted on the Bengals’ website Thursday, Benson bid the Bengals farewell.

There are no hard feelings, I loved my time there,” said Benson, who has drawn little to no interest on the free agent market. “I can’t thank the fans enough for the way they supported me. I am so forever grateful for the recommendation that I think came out of Chicago and for Marvin [Lewis] believing in me and for the Brown family for giving me a chance.”

Benson’s goodbye was classy, and his tenure in Cincinnati should be considered a success. The former first-round pick had the look of an early-career bust with the Bears, but Benson turned his career around with the Bengals, rushing for over 1,000 yards in three of four seasons.

Benson remains upbeat, despite the glacially slow market for his services.

“I’m staying positive, optimistic,” he said.
  21. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    Should we sign Benson Pointey?
  22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Hmm well??? I picked him up late in fantasy football and he had double digit projected pts every week.. AND he actually got there for most the games and also had some really good games.

Damn the best news I can take from the signing of Lawfirm and Mike to other teams, at least we havent signed Jackie yet... or did I jus miss that report?
  23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    1. Who cares it is less challenges lost for stupidity.
    2. yep not much
    3. Damn I dont know where my manners are?
  24. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Kevin Acee (excerpt from today)........

Don’t forget, too, the Chargers are trying to position themselves for 2013.

It is not known what the cap will be in 2013, but it is expected to grow substantially as the money from the league’s new TV deals kicks in. As of now, the Chargers have almost $98 million committed toward the 2013 cap, less than all but 12 teams.

They’d prefer to not be in the position with guards Tyronne Green and Louis Vasquez next spring that they were in this year with Gaither or last year with Jeromey Clary – that is, having to pay a premium because they had competition on the open market.

The Chargers could also open extension talks with cornerback Antoine Cason, defensive end Vaughn Martin and linebacker Antwan Barnes.

All five of the above-mentioned players are entering the final year of their contract.
  25. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +131 / 2 / -0
    Would love to see us lock up antwan barnes and donald butler sometime this offseason or middle of the season 2 great young pieces to our defense and we should lock em up longterm now because if we dont there gonna cost us a lot more to keep later
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Deandre McDaniel failed his physical. Fractured scaphoid.. Doctors thought it was healed from college until they checked it out today. So he is NOT signed unfortunately. He is having surgery Wednesday and says he should be healed by the start of camp and should be re-signed.

I hope so, I really think this kid could be a steal for us at SS as an UDFA
  27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Damn injuries. We really need to get robots invented and on the field. Save the multi million on people for the maitenence and replacements.
  28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Isn't that called Madden?
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    I thought it was a crap movie with Hugh Jackman? :confused:
  30. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +230 / 22 / -3
    Rock em Sock em robots the movie!! Im still gonna watch it for that.