1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Agent Frenzy

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 13, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Since Crayton was the punt returner too for a spell, Royal would be a better option.

Goodman will still be the kickoff returner...... despite his detractors protests. ;)
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    At some point we're gonna run out of money though, and 4th WR is something we could find in the draft. I'd rather see us sign a guy who has a good chance of winning a starting spot, or at least a chance to get a lot of playing time like Brodney Pool, Melvin Bullitt, Kevin Boss, or a solid young G prospect like Chad Reinhart.

Correction: Reinhart is a RFA, forget that idea. Maybe Jacob Bell.
  4. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259 / 4 / -0
    I'll be honest I'm excited about JJ and McClain. If we get Ben Grubbs I will literally **** my pants. Also psyched to have former Ravens coming in.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Royal had a bad year, but with Tebow at QB, that's hardly surprising. I think he still has value, he's not that old. We don't have a true slot receiver right now.
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Royal is not my point though, I'm fine with him being a backup for cheap. I just think we have bigger needs right now, including the fact that we only have 3 defensive linemen on the roster, and Garay (a guy who can play NT and DE) is still out there.

I would really like to have Tommie Harris back too, at least some solid depth on the D-line.
  7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +231 / 22 / -3
    Word out of KC fans is that they still are interested in Tolbert. Hes gonna be there tommorow I beleive.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Between Charles and Hillis he will never touch the ball.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yeah but after Hillis I don't see a need for the Chiefs there. They'll have Charles, Hillis, McCluster, AND Tolbert? I don't know how Mike feels about that.. I have a feeling there gonna try to convert him to fullback..

I would love to see Royal, given the fact Floyd is injure-prone. Could get some reps there, in the KR/PR game as well.. aslong as its the right price.

But, I rather have Harris, Garay, and if Tolbert isn't satisfied with his visits I want him back.
  10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +437 / 2 / -1
    Gotta say, was truly pissed to lose VJ, angry we didnt make a run at Mario Williams even though I don't know for sure he would play in our system well, but damn if AJ hasnt made some solid signings. A couple more signings like Ben Grubbs, Eddie Royal, and a young OLineman and I will be ecstatic. Guess Frank Summers is out or Hester is as Le'Ron McClain is a straight up baller. Forget what he brings to the running game (this dude can hammer just like Lo Neal), but he will provide a true pass blocker in the backfield. Le'ron is a monster blocker. Rivers is gonna love this guy. Jarret Johnson is a beast of a OLB (6'3" 260lbs) who sets the corner better than just about anyone in the league. We have been so weak on the edge for the past few years, he will be a major impact player for us. And a starting WR corps of M80, Meacham, Brown with Royal filling in will be solid. I actually think we ought to try and sign Shockey to be our #2 TE. He can catch the ball and block. Not the same guy he was with the Giants but a veteran who can help us for a year or two.
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    I agree, but you have to factor in that Floyd will be hurt and some point, and your lost Jackson, so you need several legitimate options at WR.
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I just hope Gaither doesn't get lazy after getting paid like he did in Baltimore. Meachem, Johnson, McClain, and possibly Royal are solid signings.

We need Garay and Harris on a one year deal though..
    • Like Like x 1
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    \

You had me all the way up until Shockey, then I did a spit take. Shockey is a shell of himself as a player, he's falling apart physically, and he has serious character issues that I don't want in our locker room.

I think Dallas Clark would be worth a call, Kevin Boss, or Kellen Davis who is a HUGE redzone target which is of course where we struggle.
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Scott Bair of the NC Times had a similar feeling until he talked to Gaither. He said he seemed genuinely appreciative of the Chargers giving him a chance to show that he could still play, and planned to repay them for their confidence in him.
  15. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Clark has struggled since his career year in '09.. Boss is fragile but I do like Kellen Davis. Mike Martz's system in Chicago hardly used TE's as receivers so his stats certainly aren't sexy, but I'm sure they'll be willing to bring him back.

I think we'll find that receiving TE in the shallow draft class - Ladarius Green was someone we were looking at reported by Acee and I really like Evan Rodriguez, used similar at Temple as Hernandez was in Florida. Addazio was the TE's coach in Florida when Hernandez was there and now the coach at Temple and schemed Rodriguez very similar to Hernandez this past year and he's great at picking up yardage after the catch. Only knock is foot speed and whether or not he can actually block.
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I hope so.. the guy has talent but he is known to be lazy after a pay-day, example-Baltimore
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    He was taken in the supplemental draft by Baltimore in 2007....... what "payday" are you referring to?
  18. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    No clue, when I was reading up on him about his time in Baltimore they referred to him as being a very lazy player after getting "paid" so I do not know..
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Does anyone know how much cap space we have left? It'd be easier to gauge these moves if we had some clue about the financial situation.

My guess for 2012 cap hits...
    Meachem: 5.25M
    Gaither: 5M
    Johnson: 2.75M
    McClain: 1.5M

Rougly around 6M left give or take
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Meachem's cap for 2012 is actually $3.4M..
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    Wow, talk about a backloaded contract. Thanks for that.

I haven't heard a word on Gaither, Johnson, or McLain's numbers though.
  22. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Most drafted players get 4-5 year deals initially. If Gaither was drafted in 2007, then he played on his initial contract for the Ravens (2007-2010). Taken in the 5th round of the supplemental draft, he couldn't have made much money. Last year, he was with the Chiefs...... since they cut him after a false start, they couldn't have been on the hook for much money, since he only had a 1 year deal. This has to be the first opportunity for Gaither to make any real money.
  23. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
    I would be ecstatic if we did land Eddie Royal.. I know acee is saying as our 4th receiver but honestly IMO eddie royal is a talented wr and although meachem is a legitimate deep threat i think eddie royal could be a more athletic version of wes welker for us underneath something we've lacked since sproles has been here.. not to mention im sure all charger fans know his value on special teams...
    • Like Like x 1
  24. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    yeah helps us re-tool the roster a bit. I think Gaither's is disclosed, and Johnson and McClain's numbers should be coming soon..

Acee did say AJ will add another WR, depth on the DL and OL AND either a cornerback or safety by Thursday. What in the world! they must of did some serious back loading.. Not too shaby by AJ.. but we'll see how the draft and 2012 pans out
  25. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Yeah, I don't know thats what was written about the man from an inside source..

I'm hoping he won't, we had enough confidence to drop a trusted guy like McNeil to have Gaither as the starter, hopefully he pays us back and plays great.
  26. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,685 / 44 / -26
    Cam Thomas had the same knock in college, but he's been nothing but a full effort guy since he's been a Charger. From what I saw of Gaither last year, he's a clear upgrade over McNeill when he's motivated. It's up to the coaches to keep pressing the right buttons, but I have a good feeling about the guy. I think he's settled down and wants to be a productive NFL player.
  27. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
  28. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +140 / 2 / -0
  29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I agree its a bit more than I expected for a guy who isn't know for getting pressure on QBs.