1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Free Oz

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Sandolf, Aug 13, 2012.

?

Are you a conformist?

This poll will close on Aug 13, 2022 at 8:08 AM.
  1. Yes

16.7%
  2. No

83.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,824 / 39 / -8
    I refuse to talk with _Oz at SMM because it would be nothing but a flame war, tell me I am wrong.

I have more repect for CBF and TD than to go over there just to argue BT. Besides folks like Naty would get involved as they have already and make sure it degrades to a bigger insult fest than it already is there. I see no reason to participate in that.

_Oz has been judged on his posts. Be they here, or there, they were his posts.

2. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    There is always the ignore factor, some folks like things on TV others don't, the fact is censorship IMO if you want to get to the heart of the matter . There are plenty of shows I choose to not watch others that I wouldn't normally watch but suck me in because I find it interesting at the time while surfing. Not very often but this place can get that CMB feel to it at times.

• Like Like x 1
  3. X FACTOR

X FACTOR In for Life.........

Ratings:
    +180 / 8 / -0
    Are we still on this????????????

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    It's a history lesson .... Frank Zappa vs. Tipper Gore.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    Cheers Buck. Nice one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    HAHA I remember that, senate hearings & all. LMAO! PERC or whatever her group was named ,even John Denver turned up at those hearings:D

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Cheers to you as well.

It isn't that I don't "get" the argument. I just don't care for my supposed involvement. :)

8. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    I believe you. Someone else pointed robdog to the GHEE thread leading to his pms, short leash and eventual banning. There could be a number of candidates. Initially I thought you would seem to have had a motive, but now I really do not think it was you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Thank you, Sandolf. I have no reason to harass Oz. I don't care much for him personally but honestly
    - I have far more important things to do than bother with him or lurk on a forum that has lost any appeal. It's nice to be believed vs belittled.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    [​IMG]

I want a birthday present.

FREE OZ!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    Sandy,

Send this apology letter to them and see how it goes

To all the women (and Conc and Blue) who were offended by my recalcitrant remarks,

I apologize from the bottom of Oz's heart and all I want to do is once again enrich Bolt Talk with my prophetic football takes. I consider all of you benighted gentry to whom I will give all due respect as fellow Chargers fans. It should be an exciting season now that Norv is gone and I'm expecting WAY different results! Lets let the season begin. GO CHARGERS!!!

Sincerely,
    Oz

-----

On a personal note let me ask you responsible people at BT just to scroll down this one page. Boltfanatik is dead. Buck might as well be. X is on new meds... and Conc is no longer a mod.

Please let us all try to be reasonable. Circumstances do change. FREE OZ!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    I only know of Oz from his most recent reality TV-ish visit, in which he seemed to mistake
    being rude with making an intelligent contribution. I was not offended (I virtually never am),
    and he doesn't mean enough to me for me to lift a finger re. opposing his return.
    I'm okay with faux-intellectualism (in the academic world I saw more than enough of it)
    but since Oz claimed to be oh so reluctantly here because someone (he claimed) begged
    him to come stir the pot, I guess I'm puzzled as to why he'd be knocking on the door now.
    (That's pretty much rhetorical...I'm truly not looking for a discussion).
    In short, cast my lazy semi-interested vote for "bygones be bygones."

Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 10.15.31 AM.png

13. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    One is less lazy - slash - semi-interested when dealing with one own's friends. Giving people the lifetime boot sets a precident that may well effect somebody you care more for one day.

Thank you for your semi-interest support sir. It is well appreciated.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    In my limited experiences with the dude, I always found him to be a doosh. That is all.

Warm regards,
    ~sdc

15. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    If I was to post my "Doosh" list based on limited experience, I would likely be joining Oz in the perma-ban Hall of Fame. We all would. Thank you for your comment sir.

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,017 / 1 / -0
    Many a doosh has received a longer leash. Free Oz.

17. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820 / 0 / -0

As a proud member of that fraternity, I support this post.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 11 / -0

Oz was banned not just for the commentary he decided to share here but for also being completely dismissive and rude to the mods who reached out him. Add in the enlightening information that he came here to stir up trouble and see just how long it would take him to get banned and here we are. Unlike those who may have had longer leashes, Oz refused to cooperate. I've never seen a more disruptive poster on BT since I joined (including to B4L). In the short time he was here (2 weeks I think?) we had more reported posts than we had seen in MONTHS combined. Yet he still had the opportunity to stay. He chose not to work with the mods and to follow the same posting guidelines we have for everyone else. Instead he basically gave his best Cartman impression (F you, I do what I want~) and he knew the consequences.

Contrary to what you'd like everyone to believe, none of the mods take joy in taking disciplinary action on the forums. We're not a bunch of ego maniacs who think being a mod on an internet forum means much of anything except that we care about the forum and have volunteered to keep the peace or assist when needed. I, personally, would much rather use my mod abilities to be helpful. I'd rather not need to ask folks to play nice and not have to mediate arguments. However, it is part of the job description.

That said, if the powers that be are OK with giving him a second chance - bueno. If he participates and everyone is happy - awesome. If he pulls the same crap, treats others around here poorly and makes coming to BT a chore instead of something fun for our members? I can't imagine his leash being any longer than it was before. Circumstances may change, but I've found people to be less capable of doing so. I'll believe it when I see it.

From now on, as it relates to Oz, consider me Switzerland. After the things you two accused me of and the nasty things you both said about me and others from this forum... I don't think it's possible to have an unbiased or objective bone in my body on the issue. So I'm going to leave it all the very capable hands of the other mods and Rob.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    Well Syd... take a hard line and people will treat you as a hardliner. Switzerland is an improvement.

20. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 11 / -0
    If expecting a member not to act like a total ******* is being a hardliner, guilty as charged.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  21. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    This is EXACTLY the problem. Hit the nail. Spot on. Why can't you mods realize that this writing we do here is totally subjective? You get so totally wound up in your rules and enforcement. Instead some sort of low level labelling semantic is applied , as in... act like a total *******, (which doesn't mean bugger all in the total scheme of things). Suddenly some group dynamic takes over. Things get quoted out of context. Little descriptive terms like "Doosh" appear. And the moral majority pats themselves on the back by claiming the high road without saying anything substantial towards what the original perpetrator posted!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  22. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    Lets just look at the stats for a moment.

[​IMG]

31 likes as opposed to only 4 reds would indicate the man was more than just a Potty Mouth.

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    This is where you lose me, Sandy.
    My experience with Syd has been excellent.
    (Can I say that without being accused of mod worship or some mysterious group dynamic?...
    speak w/ Conc if you want to be completely disabused of the idea that I'm tumescent for mods...)

I actually tried to see the "articulate" Oz you kept claiming, but what he typed turned
    me in the opposite direction. Not other posters. Not mods.
    I was hoping to find an intelligent voice, but found instead hubris and insults.
    As I said before, personally, yes, I'm still willing to try to figure out what you see in Oz,
    and I didn't intend to say any more about this. But I do respect Syd and felt a need to point that
    out, here...again, if I can do so without cheap shot, unwarranted "group-think" allegations.

24. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    Thanks Lance. My experience with Syd has been excellent too. But unfortunately a very substantial difference of opinion divides us on this one issue. Therefore I think it better we resolve it.

I am laying my word on the line on behalf of Oz. If he comes back with the sole intention of rattling cages... I will take the heat for it. There is nothing speaking against reinstatement on a probabtionary basis. Just some injured pride in certain corners... and stubborn group dynamics... (not indicating you are a part of those).

25. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,462 / 36 / -16
    I appreciate your civil response (given that I haven't exactly spoken very glowingly of your pal).
    Since the juvenile, ham-fisted attempts at stirring the pot were the predominant memories I have of the guy,
    yes, if that were eliminated (or even kept to 1/3 of the act) I'd personally have no beef with the guy.

p.s. You have one red for 2,732 posts, Oz has one for every 58 posts...about 50x the red rate...
    not sure I'd be playin' that card!

26. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    Conc gave me that red... so it doesn't even really count either. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,017 / 1 / -0
    Syd I sympathize. Oz is a moderation nightmare. He will, without a doubt, disrupt the status quo. And if ya'll don't want him here for that reason (and others), then that's why you're the mods. Whether or not that is objectively fair may or may not be worth discussion.

FWIW I don't think Oz or anybody else thinks you guys are ego tripping on forum moderation. I'm glad you are down to give him a second chance, but I put the over/under on his return stay at 2 weeks (11 1/2 days, actually). Because you are absolutely right in that he will be the exact same dude as was previously banned. And if that guy is unwelcome, the only purpose in un-banning him would be kind of a half-assed dog and pony show.

Sandy is very correct in his observations about the group dynamic. It's easy to get labeled a villain in this kind of community; Oz plays the part very well, but his greatest crime is knowing the right nerve for which to aim. He will make a liberal use of barbs directed at all comers, and if that defies your intended degree of decorum, again, I don't see a lot of point in bringing him back (other than as a flash in the pan).

Lance, I have nothing but good experiences with Syd and Conc and a lot of other people around here. I've had bad experiences with Oz and it took a long time before I learned how to read his posts. I don't know that 'articulate' is the right descriptor. But I assure you the man can bring high quality contributions to a discussion, when he's not calling someone a ****.

I'd trade a thousand P88Fs for one Oz and one Sandy.

EDIT: Also, seriously, regardless of how it may have been presented I promise that Oz's comment about "how long it would take to get banned" was 100% tongue in cheek. My word.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  28. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    Well IAD. What an eloquent piece of writing. You've astounded me before with one like this when you were a mod here. It is tremendous that you have the talent in reserve to crank out one of these when the occasion arises.

Ironically you just might have killed the FREE OZ movement for me. But you ever so deftly indicated where the weight of the decision lies. And it is not 100% with Oz to be sure. These contentions from those defending the "status quo" here were very naive at best.

They think they are good. Maybe they are good. Maybe they could be better. Maybe they are not interested in getting better. Conc kept writing me over and over and over again, if you think this place is so bad, why do you post here? The answer in is the community. It is the writers that make this place. Not the V-Bulletin software updates with little buttons to push... or policemen (women) to direct traffic.

What you're basicially saying is that if you're not up to the challenge, then don't do it. They're not and they won't.

29. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    I'm only weighing in here at all because I know Buck from other forums. He isn't dead but his wife is - as of April, quite suddenly. So maybe you could honor that by keeping him out of your issues? Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +331 / 12 / -6
    Well I guess that would go for boltfanatik too, because he is actually dead himself. I got on pretty well with Buck. But if he is not posting here than it is by his own choice. This is a censorship question. We are not talking about anybody here that I do not like. That includes Syd, Conc, Buck... robdog... etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.