1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Gaither and Wright return to practice

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    Some good news for a change....... :tup:

Chargers: Gaither, Wright return to practice

The bye week has brought its first dividend to the Chargers.

Jared Gaither and Shareece Wright are practicing on Monday.

Gaither (groin) and Wright (ankle) didn't play in the 35-24 loss to the Broncos on Oct. 15.

Filling in for Gaither at left tackle, undrafted rookie Michael Harris made his fourth start and didn't allow a sack to the Broncos.

Wright, a special teams player and backup cornerback, hasn't played since hurting the ankle on the season-opening kickoff.

The Chargers are practicing for the first time in five days.

2. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    Now that Gaither is practicing again, can we move Harris to RT?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    If he's fully healthy now, Wright needs to start, show Cason the bench and let him know there are reprecussions to playing like ****. He could not possibly play worse then Cason has and I believe he is a solid corner (more suited to press man, but so is Cason) and definitely has better closing ability.

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    I'd bench both Jammer AND Cason and put in Gilchrist and Wright. Both are more physical, not tackling-wise though, Jammer has them on that one and they both have confidence. They have that swagger to them, a **** talker.

What if we moved Lynch and Bigby at the safety positions and move Weddle to corner in a package?

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    Blowing up the secondary won't yield an improvement overnight. Lets start with getting Wright on the field and dialing up the pass rush.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    I'd bench Clary, move Harris in
    I'd replace Cason with Gilchrist and Jammer with Carr until Wright can get out there more often
    I'd move Taylor to SS, that's why he's there
    I'd utilize Rosario over McMichael alot more.

But then again that's why I'm not the Chargers' coach, I'm sane

7. mando-charger

mando-charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    glad that there is a bit of glimmer is this rather drab couple weeks. i'll be happy to see gaither and wright back on the field and hope they can stay healthy. i agrre with sitting jammer and or cason and putting carr in, id like to see what he can do with the chargers secondary. i think bigby does a good job back there and weddle is kicking@$$ every game s far as im concerned, even in the face of the last two games and the sticky business thats currently goign on is still wear any of me multiple weddle jerseys proudly!

anyway, glad to here we can look to see gaither and wright practicing and playing again...welcome back to the war fellas!

8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    the secondary has been the reason of the collapses the last two weeks..

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    McMichael we see alot because of Harris at LT. He's there to chip or double on on Harris' side most of the time. McMichael also is a great blocker and pretty good receiver.

Rosario doesn't present the blocking capabilities McMichael does and is just as good as a receiver.

Taylor has been inactive for every game this year and I don't know why. I don't think Carr has grasped the system yet either.

But I hope Wright gets healthy, cause he can be a solid #2 corner this year the way he was playing in training camp..

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Taylor hasn't been active because Lynch/Stuckey have been fantastic on ST & Bigby (prior to last two games) has played very well.

Valid point about Rosario and the blocking but at this point we need weapons and need them now offensively. Especially ones that can be used at short distance which is a TE's forte. Hell I'd activate all 4 TEs for the short range passing advantage.

Wright needs to get healthy and get out there, but he can't be the #2 right now. Don't think he's really seen the field in the regular season. Carr & Gilchrist have at least starting experience. Hence they need to be put out there to start.

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    well if Wright returns to form the way he did in training camp there was talk he was the best CB on our team in training camp just like Brown was our best WR in training camp. Just our luck we lose both of them for the first half of the season..

But I wanna see him on ST's and then eventually at nickel to get his feet wet. If he comes up big, I'd starting rotating Jammer, Cason and Wright.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 8 / -0
    Be careful what you wish for. Cason is a starter because he's earned it. The fact that they are not utilizing him to
    the best of his abilities isn't his fault. We know that Jammer and Cason both are better when they are bumping-and-running. More often than not though, we see Jammer 8 yards off his man and Cason 10 yards off his man (or more in some cases). Keeping it all in front of you is okay, but with Cason's poor tackling (took great notes from Cromartie) and Jammer biting on double-moves (he's really lost a step and doesn't have the closing speed), the recipe for disaster is there.

Move Weddle to corner? That actually made me laugh. Starting your backups instead of your starters also made me laugh. But hey, I'm not going to pretend to know the solution. If I was getting paid millions of dollars to figure it out though, you bet I'd add a few wrinkles and learn that half-time adjustments are a necessity, whether your playing from behind, or protecting a lead. It's simple. Playing from behind? Sense of urgency, hurry-up offense without abandoning the run. Playing with a lead? No hurry-up offense, keep it simple, as in short passing and keep pounding the ball on the ground. Let the receivers do it with YAC and protect the effin' ball. Keep it simple, stupid.

By the way, where's the ThunderHammer Defense when you need it?
    <End of Rant>

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    Which goes hand-in-hand with the fact that the pass rush disappeared in the 2nd half of both games..... coincidence?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    If Gaither is practicing, then Clary needs to be on the bench and Harris needs to be starting at RT.

As far as the CBs, I agree that nothing is going to happen overnight if we insert Gilchrist/Wright as starters, but we have 5 days until our next game, and we're playing a team without any talent at WR. This is our only real opportunity to break them in. If this season isn't going to be a complete shitstorm of fail, there need to be major changes to the secondary and line, and coming off the bye against the worst team in the league is probably the only opportunity we're going to have to do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    What has Cason done the last 2 YEARS to earn a spot at CB again? He was benched for a rookie last year.. that's how awful he was. Even in press coverage he's been over powered by wideouts, most notably PLAXICO ******* BURRESS last year who didn't play for about 30 months and certainly lost a few steps since his hay-day and Cason got taken to the dry cleaners conceding 3 TD's. And continue last year and continues this year.

I said move Weddle to corner in A PACKAGE. Never said start him there, a package, aka goaline, in our 3-4, whatever and just see where it goes. He has great ball skills but taking him from the safety position, where he reads the QB most effectively will most likely hurt our defense. So that was kind of dumb from me, just a suggestion cause the corners have been so bad we need to get creative.

16. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Interesting, but in fairness it wasn't the secondary turning the ball over 6 times against denver, nor was it the secondary who nullified an INT TD by hitting the passer with helmet.

The secondary has been poor, but let's think about this for a minute...
    - The pass rush was poor in both collapses. Most QBs can complete passes on a secondary when they've got a lot of time to pick out the right throw.
    - They were playing against Drew Brees and Peyton Manning, two hall of fame QBs, it's not like Jamarcus Russell came in and lit them up. As Blue Bolt said above, it does go hand in hand, pressuring the QB leads to more chances for the secondary to capitalize on mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    OR........

see what a good offensive line does for its quarterback. But we do have a problem with our dline and its pass rush, because we have the ability to make an average Oline look like they are a group of HOF'ers.

18. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Oh no doubt about it, having Gaither back is huge for us. A huge contributing factor in Rivers' poor play is the lack of protection from the line, the poor protection leads to pressure, no time to complete throw, turnovers more likely. Flipside of this is to play more conversative or run more, but that's an entirely different debate.

That then forces the defense to spend more time on the field, getting worn down, tired, more likely to give up big plays.

Bottom line for us, is it is nice to get an important part of our o-line back ready to play, and nice to get another CB back, because we could use a bit more depth at the CB spot as our starters are struggling somewhat.

When one side of the team is clicking, it often rubs off on the others, but when you can't stop turning the ball over, you're tiring out your D by relying on them to bail you out, and that usually is a recpie for trouble.

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I agree that Gaither impacts the overall quality of our line dramatically, but his playing won't do anything about the immense pressure up the middle on every snap.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    That's why we drafted Molk...... to provide undersized depth behind our undersized starter. ;)

21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +418 / 7 / -1
    Wow some interesting opinions here....

If Gaither is good to go I agree Harris should be looked at, at RT. He can be no worse than Clary. Clary's career in SD should end this week. As for corner I'd be reluctant to ship out both Jammer and Cason. One of them has to be dumped though, right now I'd plump for Cason and replace him with Wright. I'm not sure Gilchrist has the tools to be anything other than a slot cover guy. If Jammer is getting beat repeatedly as is the case these days then blow it up and put Carr in. Oh and dial up some mayhem from the front 7.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    MOAR INGRAM!!!!!! :abq2::abq1:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    MOAR PAS RUSH PWEAZE!

24. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    All 53 practiced today.. first that's happened all year.. that's some great news.. hopefully we see results this weekend..

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    Any Ingram would be appreciated at this point...... your DROY has been MIA.

Zero sacks through 6 games isn't really the kind of impact we were expecting. ;)

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Give him the keys to the car, Dad. He wants to drive.

27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Do you think Ingram hasn't been getting sacks because he isn't playing properly/blows, or do you think that Philips has been getting sacks because Ingram is demanding blockers?

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    So does English, but do you trust him with the car? :D

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,870 / 48 / -26
    Both. ;)

30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Yes, but only if he promises to use it to leave the SD county limits and never return...