1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

GREAT GREAT GREAT DRAFT NEWS!

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Mar 28, 2007.

1. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +452 / 2 / -1
    Well either AJ is blowing smoke up people's asses or he thinks its a possibility we will have a draft pick in the top 15. No way Meecham falls to 30. My guess is he is getting a lot of play for Turner and may do the swap for him on draft day if he can get Meecham at the pick.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    Reason I posted this as great news is alot of people think he's one of the best in the class and is better then Bowe and Rice and Jarrett, its nice to see the Chargers showing interest in him
  3. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Pat Kirwan and Vic Carucci at NFL.com both project Meachem to still be available when SD selects at #30.
  4. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Rather have Mike Walker if he entirely checked out medically and spend the 1st rounder on defense. At least with Walker you know he is solid. Meachum was dogchit his entire college career until his senior season. AJ has said he really wants to build the defense and give Cottrell some weapons. We are not coming out of this draft without a starting caliber safety and a quality pass rusher. It would be nice to get a dimeback, whether that is in the form of a safety or not. We will almost surely not be drafting an ILB until day two. With our four 1st day picks I expect a safety, a DE/OLB, an offensive tackle and a wide receiver. With our four second day picks look for a DE/DT, an ILB, an NT and a luxury pick with our next to Mr.Nobody 7th rounder. Look for the Chargers to take Nick Bunting from leisure's beloved Tulsa Hurricane on the 2nd day.
  5. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I agree. I would like us to go defense before a WR. But I have a feeling on draft day everything will point in a WR direction. Unless we get an extra pick for MT, it just might be a WR or best selection. I just dont see us doing wrong with the 30th since we have needs at WR , LB and S.
  6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    just depends on who is there when the chargers pick. ONe thing you have to know though. The chargers will bring in guys so that other teams think the chargers maybe interested.

Its all about teams trying to figure out where different players may land in the draft. So they know where to make a move for a player.
  7. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    hump that! we need a WR in the 2nd round not first! saftey #1!
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    Michael Griffin 1st
    Demarcus Tyler 2nd
    Mike Walker 3rda
    Brandon Frye 3rd b
  9. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Walker is a top 65 pick and a number of team are targeting him before our 62 overall selection. He has dazzled scouts in the offseason and when they see the game tape they will be impressed. He catches everything thrown his way and rarely makes mental errors. There were some decent cornerbacks in the C-USA and on the tulsa roster that he went up against. UCF has a history of sending very talented bling players to the NFL and it is a relief that Walker has no character concerns which is a rarity because most UCF players are straight up gangsta.
  10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +848 / 1 / -0
    now this is great news:tup:
  11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Speaking of UCF, keep your eyes on their RB Kevin Smith. This guy could have a breakout season this year and he is a manster, hanest.
  12. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Silly to get to excited

I've read about a dozen players that AJ has interviewed, most are expected to be first round picks. Considering that, I wouldn't get to excited over this one. He's just covering his bases since he has no way of knowing who will be on the board when pick #30 comes up.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    Silly to get to excited

I can't wait until the draft is over so we can stop all this speculation.
  14. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Silly to get to excited

Sure ..... then the "could of, would of, should of" threads will start ...

:lol:
  15. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Silly to get to excited

And then a year from now the process will be in full swing again...even though all of us will have been once again pwned by AJ and Nix and Raye who will prove they know more about the draft than all of us combined...
  16. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Silly to get to excited

I was wondering why they make millions and I don't.:lol:
  17. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Silly to get to excited

I just think people sometimes forget that this whole "scouting the prospects" thing is purely an exercise for us in forumland. We don't really know all that much about these prospects--and certainly not enough to seperate the wheat from the chaff. Yet some people get so vested in their attachments to certain prospects like they think they actually know a guy and have gone through the whole vetting process on the player. How many people thought Winston Justice was the shiznit and a guaranteed first-rounder last year? How many people really had Antonio Cromartie on the radar? How many of us thought Robert Gallery would be a stud or that Luis Castillo was not on our radar?

Don't get me wrong...I follow it as closely as anyone and I definitely have prospects I like. But what I won't do is start complaining about our draft if we don't end up with the specific guys I like. The only time I would complain about our drraft would be if we mysteriously drafted a QB, a RB, and a kicker with our first three picks or something inane like that--but that's not going to happen.

To me, me getting all hot-and-bothered over draft choices that would be like me complaining about a NASA blueprint for a new Mars explorer... like I know anything about space-travel beyond what I've read in Heinlein novels.
  18. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +300 / 0 / -0
    Silly to get to excited

Aw BS.:lol:
  19. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    Why do so many people seem to assume that Ginn is off our radar?

I think Ginn might actually help us NOW more than any other receiver we could draft this year. Other than CJ none of these guys is going to come in and be a true #1 for at least three years. Ginn would at least give us a pure-speed element our offense currently lacks, and he'd be a real threat as a returner.
  20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Silly to get to excited

word
  21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Silly to get to excited

Man, talk about peein in some folks Post Toasties!! :icon_eek: :yes: :icon_rofl:
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Silly to get to excited

Some folks will never admit to this.
  23. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Meachem would be a GREAT oppo to VJ....but I still don't think he is worth trading up for, if he is available at #30 and no safeties AJ likes....pull the trigger, this kid could be a stud.
  24. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    You have a show? :icon_huh:

:icon_rofl:
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Everyone always seems to think if the Chargers have visited a kid a couple times, he must be high on their draft board. I think it's fair to assume that some of these visits end up dropping the kid off the list or at least dropping him down the list. Also, the Chargers have no more tham 10 draft choices per year but can bring in 30 players - that leaves plenty of room for smoke screens. Meachem may be at the top of our list or he may be a guy that looked good to them but didn't interview well. The people that know, won't tell us.

As for Ginn, he has a lot to learn as a WR but he is the one WR that could help a team right away because he's a great return man. Somehow, he just doesn't strike me as the type of player that will translate his college stardom over to the NFL. Some of you probably are old enough to remember a certain WR the Bolts drafted out of Nebraska many years ago. He was a tremendous player - as a return man and as a WR/RB in college. His name was Johnny Rodgers and he was drafted in round one. You won't find his name in the Chargers record book because he never amounted to much in the NFL. Fast and quick but little seldom works in the NFL.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    Silly to get to excited

ruined my buzz *man*.... :lol: but I agree...

Johnny Rogers - O my... Joe Washington....
  27. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    I agree about Ginn. Ginn is a midget and he's not nearly as physical as fellow midgets like Steve Smith and Santana Moss.

I think Ginn underachieved in college. He didn't improve that much as a receiver while in college, which suggests he's not a hard worker. The guy got by on his great speed at Ohio State, but it takes more than great speed to succeed in the NFL.
  28. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    How can you say he didn't improve as a receiver that much when he wasn't even a receiver when he started? He went from being a cornerback to being good enough to get 59 receptions in a non-throwing offense.
  29. Chargeroo

Chargeroo BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Silly to get to excited

On the other hand, the interview may have cinched him as AJ's first choice. :yes: - Is the buzz back? :bolt:
  30. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,069 / 30 / -0
    I was talking more about from his junior to senior seasons. Lots of players make position changes in college. It's not that ridiculous to expect Ginn to catch more than 59 passes as a senior.

Ohio State threw the ball 30 times a game in Ginn's senior year.

When I saw Ginn in college, I saw very few pro style routes. I saw very few crisply run routes. Just alot WR screens. Ginn's going to have to be much more of a complete player to be successful as a WR in the NFL, and I question whether or not he can do it.