1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Greetings

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Montrose, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys

My wife and I are planning a holiday to California in September. It will be our first time there. I have been a Chargers fan since 1984. It was the year the NFL was first shown on television in Scotland. I chose the Chargers because I knew nobody else that supported them. All my friends followed the likes of the 49ers, the Dolphins or the Bears. I guess there was an element of supporting the underdog.

I am 40 at the end of the year and as an early present I am hoping to catch either the Tennessee or the Atlanta game while we are over.

Any advice on how best to try and secure tickets?

We will be spending at least a fortnight in California so any travel advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

First time poster, please be gentle!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +252 / 1 / -0
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Welcome!

For our first time out for a game, I went through an individual via eBay. worked out well.

We stayed in Old Town at the La Quinta. Easy access to the trolley for the game & other attractions. If you're renting a car, I'd highly recommend going to the Wild Animal Park. We did the Zoo & Aquarium as well, but the Wild Animal Park was our favorite. Spent a little extra & took the photo safari which allowed you to interact with some of the animals & get really great pictures.

What part of Scotland do you live in?
  4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +604 / 11 / -4
    I've had good luck with stubhub for the SD @ Denver games. You probably know this but don't waste your time with craigslist--a lot of wild goose chases.
  5. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys. Hopefully we will manage to get tickets for one of the the games. We're going to get our flights etc booked and take our chances.

Thanks for the recommendations. We are from Aberdeen. My name is a shout out to the greatest (possbly not true) soccer team on earth. We will be hiring a car as we intend to do a bit of travelling probably up as far as San Fransisco.
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Stop off at the Hearst Mansion, Big Sur, & do the 17-mile Drive at Carmel/Monterrey at the very least. If you're a golfer, Pebble Beach is akin to the US version of golfing Mecca.
  7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +411 / 7 / -1
    Been a while since I came into New Members!. Another Scot then eh!!?. That makes 2 of you Montrose. We also have my good pal Gary from Glasgow (whose handle escapes me right now, Buck might remember). Like you the 2 of us are Boltheads since the mid 80s.

I might be able to help you with tickets if you are sure you know which game you want, PM me.
  8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +819 / 5 / -0
    Welcome to the site! If you want a great tailgating experience, join us at parking lot M4 and meet some of the members of Bolt Talk and the Bolt Bunker.com folks, among other sites. We have our section at the east end of the lot under the trolley bridge about 50 to 75 away from the M4 sign. We are still in the planning stages for what we would like to do as a food theme for the home opener, but it's always one of the most memorable parties for newbies and regular tailgate warriors alike. I would be one of the easier persons to spot, I look a lot like William Wallace...

Pointy
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hi Guys

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Flights are booked, hotel for the first 5 nights in SD are booked car is booked and most importantly we have secured tickets for the Titans game. Can't wait.

Cheers

Mo
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Safe trip and enjoy!
  11. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +819 / 5 / -0
    Just get here safely, and if you need a tour guide to any good bars or restaurants just let me know...
  12. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again. Two days to go then we are on our way :) .

Pointy - may try and find our way across to the tailgate party to say hello. What time do you guys tend to get there from?
  13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    I know your time is short...but I've got to put in a pitch for Yosemite:
    Few things you'll see in your lifetime rival Half Dome...it's awe-inspiring and it's just a bit east of SF
    (and Mono Lake--stunning at sunset--is just a hair east of that).
  14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +819 / 5 / -0
    The gates officially open at 9 AM, and people with a special pass can get in at 8 PM. I get in at 6:30 AM and set up by the M4 parking lot sign under the trolley bridge. A few of the crew will get to the spot just after 8 AM, and the majority of our tailgate group shows up between 9 to 10:30 or so. You are most welcome to drop by and tip a few brews with us. Good luck and have a safe trip here.

Pointy