1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hardwick out with concussion

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    Hardwick concussion latest blow to Bolts O-line
    Written by MIchael Gehlken

Not even a jump in Jared Gaither's activity level could make Tuesday a good day for the Chargers offensive line.

The left tackle worked out on the side field at Chargers Park, a positive step for the veteran who has missed nearly the entire training cramp with back spasms. But the positive news for the group was short-lived.

Veteran starting center Nick Hardwick later suffered a concussion in practice, and left guard Tyronne Green was already not participating.

Hardwick is considered day-to-day, a team spokesman said, putting his availability for Friday's preseason game in question.

It is possible Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers will be without both his starting left tackle and center against the Vikings, who tied for the NFL lead with 50 sacks in 2011.

Dave Molk, a seventh-round pick from Michigan, took first-team reps Tuesday in Hardwick's place. Molk has handled all backup reps in recent weeks after splitting them with Colin Baxter early in camp.

It could be veteran center-guard Rex Hadnot, though, who'd start Friday for Hardwick in the preseason game. Hadnot worked at first-team left guard Tuesday with Green out.

The nature of Green's absence isn't known. He missed time last week with a minor foot injury before playing against the Cowboys.

On Monday, Gaither answered questions about his slow return from a back injury. Less than 24 hours later, he was on the field.

The left tackle, who signed a four-year, $24.5 million deal in March, got some work in, but he's still building toward his first practice since July 27.

"I think he's making progress," coach Norv Turner said. "I've been saying that for two weeks, and I know it's not as fast as any of us would like. I do believe he is progressing, and he has a ways to go. I have hope that'll be ready to play when we start the regular season."

Gaither is not expected to play Friday.

Michael Harris, an undrafted rookie, would start his third preseason game. He's taken starter reps throughout most of camp.

Turner said Gaither's injury could be a "blessing" of sorts, given Harris' development. That was on sight Tuesday when the Chargers held their second and final dual practice with the Cowboys.

"Two or three of the Cowboys coaches said, 'Isn't this a crazy league where you go to the Combine, you do all this, and then there's a guy at UCLA who comes in?'" Turner said. "They were very impressed with Michael. It's just what the nature of the sport is.

It's not an exact science. He's going to be a good player for us.

"Obviously, I'd like Gaither here, but it's presented an opportunity for Michael, and he's taken advantage of it."

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    What the ****?????????

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    [​IMG]

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 38 / -21
    Gotta wonder what this does to his confidence, just a couple months ago he was seriously considering retirement after what happened to Dielman.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +430 / 8 / -0
    Gaither's back spasms...I'm calling bullshite on that for sure.
    Rest/Ice/Heat...for a month? If it's spasm-ing for that long, the dude's
    got other issues with his back. Much more serious issues.

As far as center goes...I'd like to see Molk have a go at it...I think he might
    be the real deal and the next eventual starter. You don't get an award for best
    center in the nation in college for nothing. We'll see.

6. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +855 / 54 / -42
    It certainly doesn't sound legit to me either Joy Divy, gotta be more than spasms you'd have to think (or he's just a total headcase hypochondriac (which would be just our luck)

I have no problems with seeing what Molk has, may be expecting a little to much to soon, but as you say, NOT everyone wins the honour of being named the "Best Center" in College.

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +419 / 7 / -1
    I thought the exact same thing when I heard this. You can be sure it is not his first either. It'll be making him think bigtime. Were he to pack it in, we're probably lucky to have the centers we have in camp ie. Hadnot, Molk and Baxter. All are pretty good players. Mooch would have been an option too only he's just joined the ex Chargers club in Carolina.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Any info as to how Hardwick got the concussion? More helmet swinging?

• Like Like x 1
  9. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +855 / 54 / -42
    Farted I heard !!!!!!

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    Maybe Rivers shouldn't be playing this week....?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,234 / 38 / -21
    Bubble wrap for all the starters.

Except Clary.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    I guess we are getting into the patchwork line with 2nd and 3rd stringers early this year.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    Not necessarily a bad thing....... they'll get experience early, so if any of the starters go down in the regular season, these guys will have had decent reps together.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +885 / 5 / -0
    So, was it a serious concussion or just a minor one?

15. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    How about a poll on who goes down next... Sheesh this is getting depressing:(

16. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 19 / -5
    Good thing it wasn't Gaither. Hope Hardwick gets better.

17. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,447 / 36 / -16
    Gaither is wrestling with a small patch of slightly dry skin on his left arm right now.
    All our thoughts and prayers are with him at this difficult, difficult time.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Do you mean was it a legitimate concussion or not? ;)

I hear that if it was legitimate, a football player's brain will shut down in order for it to not cause long-term issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    I believe the correct term is "forced concussion".

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    That's not what Dr. Todd Akin said. ;)

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,893 / 48 / -26
    Dr. Ryan said, "a concussion is a concussion and there's no splitting hairs over concussions."

That's what he's saying now, anyway. ;)

22. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :mad:

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    CHARGERS: Hardwick, Stuckey pass concussion test
    [​IMG]

Chargers center Nick Hardwick returned to practice Saturday after missing two weeks with a concussion. Associated Press file photo

September 01, 2012 5:29 pm • By SCOTT BAIR sbair@nctimes.com

Chargers center Nick Hardwick returned to practice Saturday after missing nearly two weeks with a concussion.
    Safety Darrell Stuckey also returned after missing three weeks with a concussion. Both players passed the NFL's concussion test on Friday.
    Hardwick jumped right back into action, saying he was happy to return to practice.
    "I feel strong," he said. "It was great to get back in the huddle. It's my favorite place to be."
    Hardwick never talks about injuries and played coy in regards to this one. But he did say rest was key to his return.
    "I got a lot of rest and let everything heal," Hardwick said. "I feel good. I've been through injuries before, and you have to let it run its course. If you listen to your body, it'll tell you when it's ready."
    Stuckey was also happy to get back to work.
    "There are certain things in life you can't control, and one of them is rehab from an injury like that," Stuckey said. "It's about how you feel, and it's better to be safe than sorry. But I feel good now, and I'm excited to get back at it."

• Winner Winner x 1