1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Has anyone seen what they would call a 'ghost'?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Concudan, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    The ghost of a lumberjack carrying a large axe can often be observed trying on shoes in a Poway house.

A ghost can often be seen in a Poway high school late at night walking the hallways.

The ghost of a man dressed in a military uniform can be witnessed very often reading a newspaper in the middle of the night on a park bench in Poway.

The ghost of a man carrying a bloody axe was witnessed picking flowers in the front yard of a house in Poway. Being frightened by the onlookers the ghost made it's way into the dark.
  2. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    The Hotel Del Coronado sits on 33 oceanfront acres in San Diego Bay and is truly a beautiful and luxurious hotel. The ghost of Kate Morgan is said to haunt the hotel. The story goes that she was married to a gambler and they worked together to fleece card players. When Kate became pregnant she wanted to settle down, but her husband didn't. In 1892 she went to the Del Coronado to wait for him as prearranged, but he didn't show up. She was found on the beach, dead from a shot in the head. I have read and seen (on TV shows) varying accounts including her trying to self abort and then killing herself, finding her husband with another woman and shooting herself, and her husband arriving at the hotel and he shoots her. However her life ended, her spirit continues to haunt the hotel's room 3312. Problems with the phone and TV are the most prevalent manifestations. Also haunted is room 3205 in which curtains have been seen to billow when no windows are open, and "phantom noises" have been heard (I have no more details on those.)
  3. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    The Whaley House is part of the historic Old Town section of San Diego, located at 2482 San Diego Ave. The house was built in 1857 by successful businessman Thomas Whaley. The county needed space for a courtroom, and was allowed to lease a large downstairs room for that purpose. Before the building existed, a man named Yankee Jim Robinson was found guilty of stealing a boat and was sentenced to death by hanging; the hanging took place on the site of the future courthouse. One of the tour guides reported that many times after giving her talk in the courtroom to a group of tourists, people would come to her or the curator and comment on the man they saw standing next to her. The description they gave would match Yankee Jim (and of course she gave the talk alone). Thomas Whaley, and his wife Anna, are also thought to haunt the house. Both have been seen by many visitors and staff. Some of the other manifestations in the house include: unexplained footsteps, music from an organ or music box when none are playing, a strong scent of perfume or cigar smoke, an empty rocking chair rocking, and cold spots. Frequently locked windows upstairs are opened, setting off the burglar alarms at night.
  4. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    The luxury liner, The Queen Mary, set out on its maiden voyage in 1936 and continued carrying passengers asea for 30 years. It is now permanently docked in Long Beach, and is a 390 room hotel. It is host not only to paying guests, but several ghosts as well. One apparition that has been seen by many people is that of a man who is wearing overalls and has jet black hair and a beard. Another specter on board is that of a man wearing a uniform of the original crew of the ship, and each time he has been seen he is tending to some part of the ship's engines. In the kitchen, staff have seen strangers come in and then disappear, utensils vanish, and lights turn on and off by themselves. The swimming pool area can be quite eerie, where the sounds of laughter and splashing can be heard, but the water is still and no one is there. Also in the pool area, people have seen a young woman dressed in green, who walks along the upper balcony. During one tour of the pool area a group of tourists all saw a naval officer in dress whites walk by, only he was transparent!
  5. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    The Horton Grand Hotel, a Victorian era hotel in San Diego's Gaslamp District was rebuilt in 1986, combining two former hotels. Inside you will feel you've stepped back to the Victorian Age with period decor surrounding you. The two hotels (the original Grand Hotel and the Brooklyn Kahle Saddlery Hotel) that were rebuilt into the current establishment used to be in the heart of the bawdy and rowdy section of the city, filled with brothels and gambling houses. Many gun fighters used to stay at the hotel. One of these men, Rodger Whitaker, was shot in the chest, but managed to make it back to his room. He hid in an armoire, where he died. It is said that he still haunts that room, Room 309. One local TV station went to the room to film a story on it, and the film had a bright green distortion that the crew had never seen before. The hotel has 132 rooms, 24 of which are suites. The owners have put much effort into combining restoration of a bygone era with modern amenities.
  6. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    The USS Hornet is an aircraft carrier, built in 1943 and used extensively in WWII. She also was used to recover the landing astronauts of Apollo 11 and 12. The ship is now a national landmark and is on permanent display as a museum at Alameda Point on San Francisco Bay. There have been many reports of ghostly incidents and apparitions. Staff and volunteers have felt unexplained gusts of wind, heard doors slam, and have seen ghosts of WWII guards. One supervisor said he never believed in ghosts until working on the Hornet and witnessing the ghost of a military man in a khaki uniform several times.
  7. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Culver Studios – Many have said to see a man with a hat walking around the once famous studio. They think it is Thomas
    Ince, who built Culver Studios in 1918 and was the studios magnate, just checking on progress at his once beloved studio.
    Thomas Ince died under strange circumstances more than 70 years ago. Rumor has it that William Randolph Hearst shot
    Ince." for canoodling with his mistress, Marion Davies, then covered it up. Ever since, Ince has been spotted lurking across
    the studio.
  8. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    The Comedy Store - Before it became the Comedy Store, this was the site of Ciro's, one of Hollywood's hottest nightclubs
    during the 1940's and 1950's. One would see Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis performing while gangsters were running the
    rackets out of the back room. The spirits of a long deceased mobster and a few of his victims have been said to return
    occasionally and make their presences known with menacing grunts and groans. Sighting of ghostly apparitions have been
    reported on numerous occasions. Some have reported seeing lights turning on and off by themselves. There have been
    reports of cold spots and one person reported seeing a telephone slide across a table and onto the floor on its own.
  9. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Hollywood Sign - The Hollywood sign is perhaps the most famous sign in the world. Actress Peg Entwistle wanted to leave
    her mark in Hollywood in a big way. Oddly enough, she accomplished this on September 18, 1932. Peg climbed to the top
    of the letter "H" on the Hollywood sign and dived head first into the ground killing herself instantly. Hikers and park rangers
    have reported very strange happenings in the area around the Hollywood sign. Reported sightings of a woman dressed in
    1930’s era clothing can be seen at the base of the letter “H”. This woman seems to vanish when approached. She has
    been described as a very attractive, blond woman, who seems very sad.
  10. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel – The hotel was named after President Theodore Roosevelt. After opening in 1927, it
    became the center of Hollywood. The first Academy Awards ceremony (then called the Merit awards) was held in the
    Blossom Room in 1929 and the Academy held their meetings here from 1927 to 1935. Montgomery Clift stayed at the
    Roosevelt for three months during the making of "From Here to Eternity" and some say his ghost stayed here for eternity.
    On windy nights, some may hear his bugle playing in the hallway or his room 928. Marilyn Monroe lived on and off in
    Cabana 246, posing for her first ad on the diving board of the swimming pool. Her own mirror is still there, only now located
    in the lobby. Some have seen her reflection still gazing back from this mirror.
  11. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Knickerbocker Hotel – Built in 1925 and originally opened as an upscale apartment building, this Hollywood hotel, like
    many others catered to hundreds of celebrities. Today, this one luxurious hotel is a senior citizen home but several ghosts
    have been seen in what was once the old hotels lobby including, Valentino and Marilyn Monroe. In addition, Besse Houdini
    held many unsuccessful séances in an attempt to contact her famous husband.
  12. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Raleigh Studios - This little-known studio is located directly across the street from the giant Paramount Studios. Raleigh
    Studios was first known as Clune Studios back in the 1920's. Later, it was called Mary Pickford Productions, California
    Studio, and later still, Producers Studios Inc. It has been reported that a investigation team captured something “intriguing”
    on camera The tale has it, the spirit that they encountered was of actress Joan Crawford.
  13. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    The Press Enterprise - Reports of an old lady walking in the hallway near the old press room, and disappears as she
    passes by. Doors of the Restroom stalls slam shut then lock by there self. Some have reported the feeling of someone
    tapping them on the shoulder and then instantly feeling very cold.
  14. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Evergreen Cemetery - This cemetery dates back to the late 1800's. The grounds are not well-kept, fallen headstones
    that lie randomly amongst the final resting places of the deceased. It has been reported that strange streaks of
    unexplainable light, mist and orbs are visibly seen by nearby residents who live approximately 50 feet away.
  15. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Riverside Cemetery - This cemetery is an extremely old burial site that is now owned by Riverside Parks and Recreation.
    The grounds are run down and not well kept, complete with fallen headstones that lie haphazardly amongst the final resting
    places of the dead. Residents of the area (breathing, flesh and blood residents, that is) live a mere 50 feet from the
    graveyard! Add to this creepy scene the irony of a “One Way” sign situated across from the cemetery that glows eerily
    without the aid of streetlight's.
  16. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    El Campo Santo Cemetery – People visiting the cemetery at night often report feeling an icy chill when they walk through
    some spots. Some describe the chill as if walking through a freezer. A misty, glowing figure has been seen drifting along
    the sidewalk, just outside the cemetery wall. Some figures that glide through here are only partially visible. It has been
    common to hear someone report seeing only the upper torso of a man or woman. These ghostly figures however, quickly
    vanish without a trace. In addition, moving or floating orbs have been seen with the naked eye on numerous occasions.
  17. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Point Loma National Cemetery - just north of the city of San Diego is a Normandy-sized cemetery that was a favorite
    place for marines awaiting to leave for westpac ground forces. the marines used to go there on short liberties to lay
    amongst the grave stones, smoke and get drunk and near midnight witness souls rising from their graves to walk near the
    one thousand foot cliffs and look out over into the pacific ocean to see if their country was secure and then they would
    return to their graves. not to many young marines wanted to talk about this experience back at the old main side of camp
    Pendleton as the cemetery is the location of thousands of buried marines from the first and fifth marine divisions killed in
    action during world war two.
  18. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Experiencing a ghost, and knowing it, for the first time, is quite an experience. I had a young man tell me not too long ago that, "Before the Calico Ghost Walk, I did not believe in ghosts. After the Ghost Walk I did, but in a different way than I expected." I believe most people are tainted by some of the Hollywood movies in the way that they make you perceive ghosts. You've got to remember that there is a huge difference between a ghost and a monster. If we had monsters at Calico, I can tell you that I would not be there. Sorry.........We don't have miners with pickaxes , blood dripping down the side of their mouth, chasing after tourist that have wandered off from their friends.......then wander into a deep dark mine that has no exit after you've entered.

The thing that I have found out over the years of giving the Ghost Walk is that, when I first started believing in ghosts, about 80% of what I thought I was experiencing was a fudgement of my imagination and only 20% was actually happening for real. Now after the years of continuous Ghost Walks each week, I feel that number has reversed. My mind still plays with me 20% of the time, but 80% of the time it is real. In encourage people to come to experience the ghosts of Calico, but keep in mind, it's not a dog and pony show. The ghosts don't perform on demand and we all applaud. If they wish to communicate with us either physically, audibly, or visually, they will....... And if they don't, they won't. (Okay.....sorry, enough of the preaching.)

The ghosts of Calico can be commonly experienced in four different ways which I will talk about. Most ghostly experiences are selective. This means that just a few people in the group will experience the spirit, not everybody. Sorry.
  19. Concudan

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Feelings
    I will talk about "some", but not all, of the feelings that are most common while experiencing a ghost at Calico.

The "chill" is by far the most common feeling we experience. It definitely wakes you up when you get it, and it's not because it's cold out. It can also be related to a tingling feeling that can happen anywhere in your body. Most people experience it in their hands and arms. It is usually accompanied by a stat icy feeling with the hairs on your arms sticking out. Sometimes when we give the Ghost Walks in the summer nights, the temperatures are still around 95 to 100 degrees at 10 pm. I don't think that you'd be getting a chill from the cold then. The "chill" (or tingling) that we experience is stronger and more distinctive than a breezy, cold temperature chill.

The "thickness" is something you have to experience to really understand. The closest that I can describe it is like a thickness in the air, yet it is not hard to breath or anything like that. The air is just like.......heavy or something. You sometimes also get the feeling of (I love my wife's description of this) standing between two magnets with the same polarity. It's weird..........not scary...........just weird.

The feeling of a "touch" has become more common lately in the past year or so. The tap on the shoulder, the light pat on the top of the head, or even the tug on the tail of your shirt. In several areas, we even have what seems to be, a small child about 3 or 4 years old, hug your leg or take hold of your hand as you stand or walk. We believe that this is just the small spirit saying, "Hey! I'm here!". This is quite a heart warming experience.

Audibles
    Audibles, simply put, are things that you hear. Ghosts are trying to communicate with you by sound, either voice or noise. The strange thing is that, at least in my experiences at Calico, I have never been able to actually understand a word that the ghosts are trying to say. (I guess this proves that I'm not a medium or psychic.) When we have heard a voice (clearly a voice), and yes it has even been on several Ghost Walk tours, the several syllables have been ........shall I say, unintelligible. Clearly it was a voice, but you couldn't understand the words. It makes you want to say back, "Pardon me?"

Smells
    Smells are interesting because they seam to be more distinct than some of the other experiences. Smells also seem to be experienced by more people in the group. Sometimes we will be walking by the Print Shop or next door where Joes Saloon used to stand. People will say that it smells like horses. (Sometimes this accompanied by the sound of horses too.) Well this is where the old stagecoach stop used to be at Calico. People will also bring to my attention the sweet smell of perfume by the Park Office. This used to be the Red Light District of Calico. As you walk through Calico it is interesting see if you can pick up smells, both day and night. Hummmm??? What do they mean????

Sightings
    Sightings..................Where do we start? For ghosts to actually materialize, it takes a lot of energy. The amount of energy that they can draw will determine how far they materialize. The materialization can be anything from a spot of light (an Orb) , to a faint cloud of light, to a full materialization. A full materialization is where the ghost looks absolutely alive and well like you and me. The ghosts need to draw this energy from somewhere and so they search an energy source. Electricity is the easiest source. I feel, as funny as it sounds, they prefer DC over AC, but it is just preferred, not required. Electrical power lines, transformer boxes, and outlets can supply usable amounts of AC power. As far as DC power, cell phones, watches, camera batteries, electric assistance vehicles, and the human body............yes the human body. Did you know our body gives of enough electrical energy to light a small light bulb. When a ghost gets energy from a source, the energy source is sometimes completely drained. Yep, the batteries go dead. This happens quite often on our Ghost Walks (which also helps to keep the cell phones from ringing in the middle of a tour). When the Ghosts use me to draw their energy during a Ghost Walk, my energy is really drained and I get tired very quickly. When I get up the next morning, I call it the "Ghost Walk hangover". Okay, now I'm rambling.........I'll get back to the point.

The sightings we experience at Calico can be just a short glimpse out of the side of your eye to something straight on visible and for a long while. I had one sighting with a group of six people while standing outside the Calico Cemetery gate one night that lasted 15 minutes. It was really cool! (You have to go on the Ghost walk to hear about that one.)

We also have "shadow people" which are ghosts that appear as a shadow. The interesting thing is that if the shadow person is appearing next to another shadow, usually from the moonlight, the shadow person's shadow is slightly darker than the real shadow. This happened at the school house one night during a tour. I was standing with my shadow against the side of the building with a couple of other shadows from people on the tour. One person on the tour happened to notice there were more shadows than people. When we all took note of this, one shadow disappeared. (These people are now in counseling.....Not really, just kidding.) Shadow people seem to be watchers and are shy for some reason. If you stand and watch them too long, they will know that you are watching them and they will move into another shadow to hide or just whisk away.
  20. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2,022 / 0 / -0
    Ghosts and babies/toddlers:

My grandaughter smiles and intereacts with something that we can't see. It's rather funny. This occurs at various times throughout the day and often when she's in her swing.

One time my son decided that he was going to go over and push whatever it was out of the way... My granddaughter followed and turned her head as whatever it was moved.... Either that or she was looking to see where it went.

I know of a couple whose baby waves at the wall.... babbles at things that aren't visible and was even caught reaching out to something (as if to say, pick me up) one night after he was put in his crib.

I reportedly had a "secret friend" named Bunny when I was a toddler. My mom, at times, had to set a place for him at the dinner table. I won't go into any more details. :lol: :lol: :lol: