1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Healthy Hoffman welcome

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by wrbanwal, Feb 21, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080221&content_id=2382836&vkey=spt2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

John Moores, the Padres' majority owner, told MLB.com on Wednesday that if Trevor Hoffman rebounds from right elbow surgery to regain his typical Hall of Fame form this season, he'll be welcome back with open arms in 2009 and perhaps beyond.

"I hope he gets his 40 saves this season, which is not unthinkable," Moores said when reached via telephone in San Diego. "And I hope he does come back. We'd be crazy not to have him back. If anyone can extend his career, I'm confident he's the guy. But he has too much respect for the game to hang on if he can't get it done. If he gets it done, we clearly want him."

That statement ends any consternation that Hoffman might have about the future. Hoffman, who turned 40 on Oct. 13, two days after having arthroscopic surgery to remove a bone spur and floating bodies from the elbow, said unequivocally that he wants to play at least another year and finish his career with the Padres.

I hope he comes back strong and stays healthy into October

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Still pissed he choked twice to lose the division. Bell should be taking his spot. Not sure why Buddy took Bell out while he was doing the job. Hoffman is done.
  3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    Maybe look at it this way: Bell is a great insurance policy as IMO Hoffman won't make it to Sep healthy. I looked at Bell's stats and he's obviously got good stuff and he's quite a changeup (no pun intended) from Hoffman. As a setup man he's great if Hoffman is healthy as most hitters simply cannot adjust to the difference in the matter of a couple innings at best. If you guys have that kind of matchup it shortens the game to seven innings and puts even more pressure on the opposing offenseto score on your starters (not easy). :bolt:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    The funny thing is, I predicted this reply almost word for word before opening the thread.
  5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    I've been thinking either this or that he just won't be half as effective anymore every year since 2004 and he keeps proving me wrong.

That said, it's bound to happen sometime :(
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

:lol::lol::lol:

He was hurt. Yeah, maybe age is catching up but I say prove it then make the decision.

:tup:
  7. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Hoffman is good for maybe 30 saves this year, blowing more than he ever has in a season. Bell will step in and take over the role by the end of the year. Hoffman's fastball is just as fast as his changeup. Not good. Predict what I say, thats cool. But I understand you diehards wont face reality. Padres wont make any noise...atleast for a series ring anytime soon.
  8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    First of all, that wasn't meant to be a jab at you, I just knew you'd say that.

2ndly, they've been saying Trevor's gonna break down every year since 2004 and he has yet to do so....hell, even I have been thinking that.

But yeah, if you keep making that prediction every season you're going to be right one of these times. (And, quite frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if you wound up being right this year.)

I bet you thought the same thing last year, right?
  9. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,170 / 0 / -0
    Dude then isn't that what you want? Come on man you have to show Hoffman respect and he knows what's up. I can see your point though; with a team that relies on pitching blown saves can be a killer. That said I doubt Hoffman makes or breaks the Padres season. I'll also add that you should enjoy any season that even involves a playoff run because **** can be shut down quick and those memories don't fade. JMO man and like I said I understand how you're feelin. :yes:
  10. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Ive been saying it after that 98 season when the pads suddenly went broke. Last year the padres got lucky both the dbacks and rocks got hot late in the season or we wouldnt of finished near the top. Hoffman has slowed since 2004, atleast his fastball. His fastball is right around 80-83 compared to his changeup about 79. They are calling it the best division in baseball, but its not cuz of our team.
  11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    What does the Padres' financial status have to do with the ability of Trevor Hoffman to close out games?

Wait, what? This doesn't make any sense at all.

They got lucky that two division rival teams got hot because if they didn't they wouldn't have finished that high?

No disrespect meant, man, but that's got to be the most backwards logic I have ever read in my life.

If the Rockies and D-Backs didn't get hot the Padres would have won the NL West, or at least been in the playoffs if only one of them didn't (instead of missing it by half a game)....but they got lucky they did?

All minor inaccuracies aside (such as his fastball being 85-88, not 80-83) he's still managed to maintain his status as one of the best closers in the game.

He is going to break down to the point of ineffectiveness one of these years, and that could very well be this year, but I'm simply pointing out that it's not the guarantee that you're making it out to be as Trevor has proven over the past 4 seasons.

Our team has one of the best pitching staffs in baseball and they are, indeed, a big part of that equation.

The two teams you want to give full credit to for people labeling the NL West one of the best divisions in baseball weren't that far separated from the Padres last year.

The Diamondbacks share the same offensive inequities the Padres do, but they managed to come out on top in the end...but not by very far.

The Rockies had to win 14 of 15 games just to surpass the Padres in the WC race, and even then they had to do it via a one game playoff.

I don't see how you can imply that the Padres do not fit into the equation just because they managed to fall just short of these two teams.

The only team that sucks in the NL West is the Giants, and even they have a pretty decent starting rotation. (but their offense makes the Padres look like a Yankees line up.)
  12. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    got lucky meaning....they got lucky they got hot at the end of the season...not for the whole season.

Hoffman showed last year he is not what he used to be. yea he has a pretty good save total the last 4 years but he is no longer what he used to be and we all need to accept that.

Pads rotation is gunna be above average...but even though, you still have to score runs to win. Maddux isnt a lock like he was 5-10 years ago. Peavy and CY give up runs.

If you match up the padres to the dbacks and the rocks, we arent that great. Pitching doesnt always win ballgames, it keeps us in the game. Unless Jedmonds bounces back with a monster year and BG stays healthy and gives us atleast 20-25 hr's 90RBIs, the padres wont come through...for the division title. They will not win a championship ring with the teams they put on the field. Peavy is the richest Padre in team history, i feel bad for him.
  13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    Do you even realize how hot the Rockies were at the end of the season?

You're essentially telling me here that the Padres are lucky that the Rockies didn't go 151-11 (which would give them the same winning percentage that they amassed during their hot streak that vaulted them over the Padres.)

Face it, dude, you have a glass-half-empty outlook when it comes to the Padres and there's nothing the team could do to change that.

Had they gotten hot in September and made it into the post season you'd be in here telling us how they "got lucky" that they were hot at the end of the year.

Hoffman hasn't been "what he used to be" since before his surgery in 2003, that's not what's in contention here.

He has, however, still been pretty damn effective every year, including last year up until the final two games, since then.

If the Diamondbacks had Peavy, CY, and Maddux in their rotation you'd be in here telling us how the Padres don't stack up to that rotation.

And of course they give up runs, who doesn't? That hasn't stopped the Padres from being in playoff contention every year since PetCo has opened.

Bullshit. I'm more concerned about the Dodgers this year than I am them two.

Not saying I'm not worried about them, but the Padres match up with them better than you think.

The Dodgers, on the other hand, improved their offense more than I'm comfortable with.

Tell that to the 2007 NL West division champions who had no offense whatsoever.

You're really starting to display your ignorance in regards to the Padres here.

Brian Giles and Jim Edmonds are not the centerpieces of the Padres offense.

Adrian Gonzalez, Kevin Kouzmanoff, Khalil Greene, and Josh Bard will have better years than them and as long as the aforementioned outfielders that you mentioned have semi-decent seasons (ie. they don't need to hit the 20-25 HRs that AG, KK, and Khalil are all capable of doing) the Padres should be fine...at least in regards to making a playoff run and going from there.

They may or may not, but they're not the perennial losers you make them out to be.

How many Super Bowls have the Chargers won under AJ Smith?

I don't understand how you can be so upbeat with the Chargers and so cynical with the Padres when both teams have seen equal success over the past 4 or 5 years.

I don't. He's getting paid millions of dollars a year to play a game for a living.
  14. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    Im not gunn bust your bubble anymore. If you are so excited about a mediocure team that wins division titles, then thats your biz. I dont see the excitement in that. Just as I dont see the excitement in the chargers winning there division. It gets old and you want them to advance. I can be so upbeat about the chargers because they are much more exciting than the patched up padres. The chargers have exciting product on the field. LT, Rivers, Gates, Merriman, Phillips, Cro, Igor, shiet the whole damn team....compared to.....Peavy? CY? Agon? Kouz? These names arent exciting. Howz that? Draft and given the chance to prove in the league. Towers is scared to start rookies.

2007 champs???

Exactly my point..if your worried about the dodgers more than the other two teams that finished infront of us, that makes my point that much clearer. We did nothing to improve this club...if at all, we are pretty much the same ball club as last year. Edmonds for Cameron, no replacement for Bradley. Peavy is gunna get tired of losing and eventually want out. And I wont blame him. We arent going to put a championship team together unless we get an owner who can spend.

My arguement isnt that Peavy, CY and Maddux are bad pitchers, my point is that they dont always pitch 2 hitters. We do need runs to win games. Producing 1 or 2 runs isnt always going to get it done when they pitch. Maddux gives you no more than 6 strong innings. Peavy can give you complete games, but he doesnt get run support. CY pitches the hell out of the ball but seems to have that first inning jitter. Good pitching beats good hitting...good hitting beats good pitching. remember that matchup...Lee Smith vs Steve Garvey...One of the best closers at the time vs one of the best hitters in the game....at the time.
  15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 27 / -1
    You're mistaken when you assume that I'm completely satisfied with a division championship and nothing more.

I want them to win the WS as much as you do. I just don't think the team is half as horrible and mediocre as you make them out to be, is all.

And yet both teams have the same number of championships to show for it while making the playoffs more often than not.

You let the Chargers slide and make excuses for why the Padres still "suck" while making it as far as the Chargers do on a yearly basis.

And if Peavy's dominate pitching doesn't excite you then perhaps you are not as much of a baseball fan as you think you are.

It's not Towers' decision to start or not start rookies. That's Bud Black's decision.

Get back to me when you better understand how baseball management works.

And what did the Rockies do to improve their team? Bring in Marcus Giles?

The Diamondbacks got a better pitcher, but you've already told me that pitching doesn't do **** for you so I guess that doesn't help them. :icon_shrug:

But I forgot that you think that these two teams are head and shoulders ahead of the Padres because they had hot streaks in September and you apparently feel that their performance in 1 month out of the season is more indicitive as to how good of a team they are than what they did for the previous 5 months.

If Peavy wanted out he wouldn't have signed an extension through 2012 for less money than he could have gotten on the free agent market as early as 2009.

And my point is this concept hasn't kept them from playoff contention every year since PetCo opened.

Obviously the need to score runs....and obviously they score enough to keep them in contention.

And a lack of any offense worth a **** also didn't prevent the Diamond Backs from winning the NL West and making it to the NLCS either.

I don't know if you noticed it or not (you may have were you an Arizona Cardinals fan) but the Diamond Backs offense is just as "mediocre" as ours. Probably moreso because they don't play 81 games in a "pitcher's park".

The only counter-argument you ever have to this isn't anything that disproves the fact, but rather a false accusation that somehow I'm satisfied with not winning the WS.
  16. tboltzcali

Ratings Received:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    seems as if you are cuz your saying this team is better than mediocure.

Bud Black doesnt pull off the trades, KT usually does. So thats what I meant that he doesnt believe in our rooks.

The dbacks and rocks have young good talent and they showed there maturity. While I keep comparing us to them both, we dont have that young talent like they do. We patch up our team with old vets. Its sickening. ya every team goes through it, and I thought we did, but its taking longer than usual cuz we dont put in any rookies we draft. Rockies dont need much cuz they have talent. Same scenario as the chargers...and as they just signed a vet to help groom our young...you cant say that for the padres.

Maybe if we can get more offense we wont have to worry about "petco" being an excuse on why we can win there. Its our home, we should be able to atleast be better than .500.

They made the playoffs but isnt it embarassing they havent won a playoff game since.....god knows when?

The padres are not as good as you make them to be. They are just a mediocure team....again. As you saw, the rocks have passed them in talent, along with the dbacks and dodgers. Although they all have young talent, the padres are stuck again with old vets. Bring in the rooks and let them play. We all know it takes time to develop.