1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

'Helpless' LT to sit this one out

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    This article absolutely breaks my heart. I know I'm a total homer for LT... I'm bias I get it... but the man has done so much for the team and city I love so much. It just plain sucks...

-----------------------------------------------

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...-lt-trying-to-deal-helpless-feeling/?chargers

'Helpless' LT to sit this one out

Kevin Acee (Contact)

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

No one is saying publicly that LaDainian Tomlinson will not play Sunday. But he won't.

That's the private resignation of those in the know, and it is apparent in every move Tomlinson makes and pretty much everything he says.

“I don't think anybody can know the frustration,” said Tomlinson, dealing with a debilitating injury for the second straight postseason. “It's tough dealing with it. ... I really sometimes want to go home and stay and lock myself up and not go in public just because all my life all I ever wanted to do was play football. That's all I ever wanted to do, win a championship.

“To feel so helpless, to be at this point where we have a chance to do it and again, I can't do anything about it, I can't play. ... It's like I'm being punished for something, and it's tough to deal with.”

A tendon in Tomlinson's groin is detached from the bone, he acknowledged, though it is not completely torn. Tomlinson has not had an MRI since Saturday, but he said he doesn't think he made the injury worse by playing. It is expected he will require surgery but he holds out hope he will not.

He is walking “but can't do much more” due to the pain and discomfort.

The Chargers are not putting him on injured reserve, because they don't have a glaring roster need and because there is a sliver of hope Tomlinson could play if the Chargers advanced beyond Sunday.

“Miracles do happen,” Tomlinson said with a shrug.

Tomlinson played the first 20 minutes of Saturday's game against the Colts, coming in and out, but he slipped when scoring a touchdown five minutes into the second quarter and left the game for good.

“I don't know how I made it that far,” Tomlinson said. “... It was clear from the first carry that I couldn't pick my leg up and explode. It felt like I was dragging it.”

Looking forward, Tomlinson was reflective. He knows a crucial period approaches, as he is about to turn 30 and has had three significant injuries in the past 12 months.

“The last year, I've been hurt more than I ever have,” he said. “I can say I'm getting old, and maybe that has something to do with it, or maybe I can say it's been a fluke. I still think I'm in great shape. I'm going to have to wait and see what happens next year and year after that, and see if indeed it's because of my age and I'm getting older.”

There has been talk of his not being a Charger after this season, as the team could trade him.

“Different things happen,” he said. “With all the talk, no one has come to me and squashed it, so it must be a possibility. I don't know if I'd be surprised or mad. I would feel like I always thought about the loyalty in this league. There is no loyalty. People forget the things you've done, the person you've been, the heart you've shown.”

INJURY UPDATE

Along with Tomlinson, tight end Antonio Gates (high ankle sprain) and nose tackle Jamal Williams (rest) did not practice.

After making a team-high eight catches for 87 yards against Indianapolis, Gates said he was “very, very sore” for the next three days. He said of his condition Wednesday, “I'm able to walk around pretty decent, kind of normal to what it was last week.”

Gates, expected to play Sunday, made two catches for a total of 10 yards in this year's first meeting with Pittsburgh.

NUTS 'N' BOLTS

– Norv Turner has lost all three meetings as a head coach against the Steelers, with the losses coming by a combined five points.

– The Chargers are 5-3 over the past three seasons in games in which the temperature at kickoff has been 42 degrees or below. The forecast calls for temperatures in the mid-20s Sunday evening in Pittsburgh.

– Sunday will be the first time since the 2000 AFC wild-card game between Denver (top offense) and Baltimore (top defense) that a conference's top-scoring offense will face the top scoring defense. Baltimore won that game 21-3.

Staff writer Tod Leonard contributed to this report.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Time for the rest of the team to pick LT up on their shoulders. He's certainly done it enough times. Get him a ring. :tup:

4. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207 / 0 / -0
    Tomlinson certainly hasn't been blessed with playoff health over the course of his career.

Good luck, Chargers.

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    At least now we've got a shot at scoring more than 10 pts.

Seriously, I'm done with the LT drama for the year. Dude is hurt and he needs to heal. OK. We get it. We all knew it was coming.

LT... do yourself a favor and declare that you're going to begin rehabbing immediately for next season.

Shockey still gets a ring for sitting up in the booth drinking Margaritas while his team did the unthinkable. You'll get one too for standing on the sidelines and being a cheerleader, but mostly for getting this franchise in this position.

Thanks. But it's time for these kids to step up and leave the drama behind.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -0
    That's fine if he can't play. I just don't want the camera focusing on him after every Chargers offensive play.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    The team better not let him dress or the camera will be all over him. Again.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    why not make him inactive?

add somebody for depth

come Norv!!! GROW A PAIR!!!

(Insert BFISA hate here!! :icon_wink:)

:lol:

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings: