1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hey AJ, will Rivers become someone else's pick thrower then?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Dublin Bolt, Oct 16, 2012.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    The ball most definitely should have been in Rivers' hands when the Chargers were down by 4 and he threw a pick-6.

The ball most definitely should have been in Rivers' hands when it was a two score game (thanks to Rivers) and they needed a quick touchdown so they can then hope they recover an onside to get another quick touchdown....when Rivers fumbled.

So, considering that accounts for two of the three key errors I highlighted, I fail to see how that absolves Rivers of any blame just because Norv's playcalling was questionable.
  2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 7 / -1
    I don't believe for 1 second that Rivers is without blame. A combination of dire playcalling, a horrific O line and Rivers confidence being smashed and so forgetting technique/caution = what happened monday night.
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I think that the argument on this forum has been poorly framed. I don't think there's anyone on this site who thinks that Rivers hasn't been playing poorly. The question is whether his poor play is a function of his own abilities, or of the environment around him.

My question to the "ditch Rivers" crowd is this. Do you think that Rivers' poor play is not a function of the quality of his line, the abilities of his receivers, and the nature of the playcalls? Also, do you think that any of the other QBs in the league would do better given these same factors? I'm reminded of the 2010 Indy game where we absolutely dominated Manning because his line was garbage and his only quality receiver on the field was Wayne. Look at his statline for the game:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=301128011

31/48, 2 TDs, 4 INTs, 1 sack.

I don't think that Rivers' performance is anything other than a function of the lack of talent around him in the components of our passing game. Think about it, do we have a go-to receiver? Do we have a burner to take the top off of the coverage? Do we have a TE who acts as a security blanket or compels other teams to single cover our WRs? Do we have a single reliable offensive lineman who dominates the defender lined up across from him? Do we have run blockers who push defenders off the LOS, requiring the defense to actually commit to stopping the run?

I seriously feel like the answer to all of these questions is no. I also never feel like Rivers is safe in the pocket, ever. When was the last time you watched a Chargers' game and thought that Rivers had time in the pocket?
  4. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +127 / 35 / -5
    Rivers had a lot to do with the INTs but so did the ****** O-line, and WRs and :mad: Norv. I am still not sold that Rivers has gotten used to Meachums spead. PR under threw him 1 ince the pre-season and again Monday. These two really need to work it.

Adn the 0-line has been neglected over and over and over. There is no way that o-line should be called in O-line. PR has been taking a 8-9 step drop just to get away from the pass rush.