1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Hot Rumor: If AJ trades up to 12/13 range...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Apr 23, 2012.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    How would you feel about this?

I usually ignore this crap but this is not even close to the first time this has been mentioned and its getting on my nerves. Its either being leaked by AJ intentionally as smoke screen or someone is actually talking about the Chargers plans to Acee. We'd have to give up a 3rd at minimum, and we'd only be filling 1 hole with a guy I personally believe is overrated due to the rediculous lack of depth at the SS position in nearly every draft for the last 5 years.

If we did this, I'd want Kuechly and nobody else. It would be brilliant for AJ to throw everyone off thinking he wanted Barron...and then trading ahead of the Eagles and taking Kuechly.
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    If we made this trade to say the Cardinals we'd have to give up a 2nd but maybe we can get their 3rd.

Personally I'd rather trade back (I know its a lot harder to do than to say at 18) but if we traded back got a 2nd, more realisticly get a 3rd. Lets say we traded back to Greenbay at 28, I'd feel comfortable taking Smith here, Then grab Ronell Lewis in the 2nd
    O line and NT in the 3rd, RB in the 4th, CB,TE,WR in no particular order after that
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Apparently the old draft pick value chart is completely obsolete. I have no idea what these picks are valued at anymore, but I think the value of each pick has dramatically increased, especially the value of the 11th pick.
  4. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    I think Barron will slide to us at the 18th.:tup:
  5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +406 / 7 / -1
    Question is if deCastro is there at #18 do we get him?. Is he the next Steve Hutchinson?. Can he come in and operate at Pro Bowl level pancakeing guys who dare to come near him, for say 10 years?.

If it's Barron or deCastro who would you pick?.

(can't see both of em being there at #18)
  6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    I don't scout college players. I didn't do it when I lived in the States, and I definitely don't do it now that I live in Germany. I also don't watch college football, because the Illinois football team was awful while I was getting my degree. Therefore I can only go by what I've read and heard from other posters/media outlets. My understanding is that DeCastro is an elite guard prospect, with a HoF level ceiling, while Barron is likely not even a probowl caliber safety. Again, that's my understanding of the situation based on what I've read, rather than on watching game tape and/or being a scout. If that is the case, I would rather take the elite level player, for a number of reasons, which are as follows:

1.) We don't know how well Green, Vasquez, Dombo, and Schilling will work out as our guards.
    2.) We don't know what a J. Johnson, SP, and Barnes primary OLB set will do for our pass rush.
    3.) We don't know what impact Pagano being our DC will have on our pass rush.
    4.) We don't know what Stuckey in his 3rd year as a pro will be, or how well Gilchrist and Wright will play.
    5.) Addressing our pass defense from the back forward might not help us any if the opposing QB has all day to throw.
    6.) Keeping Rivers upright and giving Mathews bigger holes will allow us to score more points and better control the clock, increasing the performance of our defense by making our opponent 1 dimensional and keeping them off the field.

This is classic BPA vs Need, as Barron, as far as I'm aware, isn't even in the same class of player as DeCastro. Is 18th overall too high to take a guard? Maybe. I think this is also something of a silly question, as there are many other really outstanding players who will be available where we pick. This draft is basically 1+2, 3-6, 7-40. There are a couple players likely to go 7-12 who might be better than those in the 12-40 range, but it's not the kind of major difference as that between picks 3-6 and the next grouping.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    I think they said on total access said moving up 5 spots can be had for a 3rd round pick, Obviously they weren't talking about a high first when they said that I believe they were referring to the teens
    Nill Williamson is saying the same thing

"For what it’s worth, I heard the rumblings a couple of times, too. Barron looks likely to go in the 12-to-16 range in the first round, meaning that there isn’t much of a chance he will be around when the Chargers draft at No. 18. A trade up could cost a third-round pick and the No. 18 pick or a similar package."

Now that we know what it would cost which isn't a hefty fee as long as we focus on our two most glaring needs, I am almost certain AJ pays the ferryman
  8. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +141 / 2 / -0
    If we did move up i wouldnt be shocked if it was for kuechly because i doubt AJ would move up for barron with his boy harrison smith on the board.. could be wrong but harrison smith seems like the kinda guy AJ falls in love with and moves up to get in the 2nd round (eric weddle and jacob hester) if thats the case hopefully AJ just moves down from 18 and collects more picks eventhough thats not exactly his MO
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Knowing AJ, I wonder if this is a smoke screen to conceal he wants to move down and take Smith
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Also knowing AJ's past drafts would anyone really be surprised if he said he's moving up for Barron but really moved up for Tannehill? hahaha just kidding

Once again though if this is a smoke screen its obvious that Acee is still his puppet since he was the one to leak this
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings Received:
    +395 / 4 / -0
    AJ's smokescreen about moving up is so that everyone will think that he is actually going to move back.
    Then he will do the opposite and actually move up.
    Or he does actually move up and then trades that spot to some other sucker and piles up picks and moves
    back to the original 18th spot where he drafts Michael Floyd because he's enamored with the name.
    Or gypsies bust into Radio City Music Hall with a cartload of sausages and claim the land for Spain.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    Kuechly likely won't be getting past 11, which would require either actually trading with the Chiefs, or trading way up to 7th, as I think the Jags are the only team looking to deal between 7-10.

Also, there's now a huge value difference between the top 10 picks and the 11th, with the 11th pick being significantly more valuable (assuming there isn't a world of difference between the players available at 10 and 11) than the 10th. I think that might provide added incentive for a team to trade back from outside the top 10, although whether their demands would be a good deal for us is certainly questionable. I don't think the team can really afford to give up a 3.
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    I'd be happy with Branch and Smith in a trade back scenario but I'm still high on Perry. Come on Thursday!!!:confused:
  15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    I'm honestly leaning on that as the likely situation. Trade back with the Steelers or the Texans and get Harrison Smith in the first
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    And I wouldn't mind that
  17. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    Why can't we just stay at 18 and go BAP? All this trade up / down speculation is giving me a headache!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,699 / 45 / -26
    This is high stakes poker!!!......... you've gotta have brass ones to handle the pressure. ;)
  19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    [​IMG]
  20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Based off 2012 trade chart

18 = 900
    27= 680
    31 = 600

49= 410

just saying it is possible :) not that it will happen but with the splash AJ made in FA this would not surprise me if he did this also to shut doubters and haters up.

Somebody please post our option up, give it to Acee or somebody so they can pass it along
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,106 / 34 / -21
    If you think about it its kind of a silly trade, its like both teams saying to eachother "we think your first 2 picks are more valuable than our first two picks". I'm not sure this helps us that much. I've always been an advocate of using your 1st rounder, and if you have the ammunition using your 2nd rounder to try to move back into the first.

If you believe in the draft trade chart we could use picks 49 (410) and 78 (200) to move up as high as 31 (600).
  22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    If we could move back into the 1st with a 2nd and 3rd I'd do it, address our 2 biggest needs and then still have 5 picks to grab OL,DL,RB, CB and such
  23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I admit to having more concern about this draft than other recent Charger drafts:

AJ's current tenuous job situation almost encourages him to do something stupid...
    namely trading away future picks for success (and perceived job security) now.
    Will he succumb to that temptation? I hope not...but you never want to create a
    situation in which you give an employee incentive to behave badly.

(remember how it's okay that the Raiders have "no hand" this draft, since they were
    "all in" in 2011...bet the farm to win it all [except for the 8-8 record] to get ol' Palmer?)
  24. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    My Gawdy Lancelot, your up at 3.30 am just to post this thought ?

You do have problems, don't you !!! ;)
  25. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +783 / 54 / -41
    So to fully prove this point, I imagine one must then have the scrotum pierced and these then dangling from them !!!

Correct ?
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I don't think it necessarily means that. I think it means more "With the positions we need to fill, we can get better value with your picks than we can with ours"
  27. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3

As long as we don't trade a 2nd round pick for a QB, then use a 3rd round on a QB and then trade away our 1st for another QB *Cough* Raiders *Cough* Cough*

We'll be fine
  28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I now one thing, if I was AJ, I would tell AJ he can do what ever he wants with the exception of trading ANY future draft picks
  29. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +141 / 2 / -0
    I have a different take on the whole AJ situation... im more excited for this draft compared to other recent drafts because im excited to see what AJ does with his back against the wall.. he knows if he dont send this team to the playoffs this year hes gone so i think that will be an extra incentive for him to do a good job through the draft this year... you may be right about the temptation of giving away future picks but overall im very excited for this draft as opposed to scared. :)
  30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +706 / 17 / -3
    Im nervous and Excited at the same time, Nervous we wont get a safety at the same time excited that we will, With all the questions surrounding each pass rusher (Its almost like there was one molded for each team, the tough part is selecting the right one) I'm nervous we'll select the wrong one but at the same time excited that we will