1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How Censored is too much??

Discussion in 'Forum Help and Feedback' started by ThunderHorse17, Sep 21, 2010.

?

How much should the board Censor?

1. the big two 4 letter words out/ damm hel1 bich OK not directed AT anyone

100.0%
  2. Zero tollerence anything close to even an abreviation banable

33.3%
  3. zero tolerence for attacking/racial slurs toward anyone any player anybodys mom *no brainer*

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    Again I should apologize for Threadjacking when this is the right place to post this issue/discussion.

Ill keep this short since its pretty well been said how I feel about how much is too much.

1st ever Inet POLE EVER. Here we GO!! *hope i can come up with enuff good options*

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    I do apreciate your quick response to this issue Rob. Im not sure whre the filters are set, how you will prefer them to be or any of that. I just hope I can say the few minor words once in a while that I say any other time of the day. If you go back to post history on me, you can see I waited till I was comfortable (bout 300+ posts)to even throw out a F bomb or S in a few heated conversations where I wanted to emphasize how serious/frustrated I was. This of course only after seeing how this forum appeared to be COOL with the ocasional Fbomb.
    I kno new ownership new regime, and am very capable of limiting the amount of profanity I use online Vs in person. I just hate to see it so censored that you cant say anything wout it sounding warm and fuzzy.

By far I am not the Capt of this ship. I prob dont even rank deckhand if you go by friends list... *open invite* :]

In short I cant wait for them Hawks!! Lets take it to em!!

3. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    The forum shouldnt be censored were all big boys and girls, why let things offend you i think the censoring is just dumb

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +611 / 0 / -0
    Because there are some younger posters on this board. Some words also offend people no matter the age. I have yet to meet a woman who was ok with the C-word.

5. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0

This is not an attack but here it goes.

Do you want the freedom to say all you want the biggest offensive word in my opinion there is? the Word is the N word.

There needs to be censorship at times and it is better to censor all the time with some words then to be able to use then any time.

If we will allow the N Word for instance then I will ask for my release from here and never come back. Just my opinion it should not ever be part of this board under any circumstances.

6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    Amen TT. I put it in the poll for a reason. It shouldnt even be considered that anyone on here wants the filter to be so loose that it would allow racial slurs against one another or other people.

I also meant to get around to saying I do feel as strongly about the N word as I do the Lords name in vein. I have seen it enuff/heard it enuff I am able to let it slide, but as a christian it is hard to hear close friends say it over and over after repeated times I have said I dont apreciate hearing him say it. It is a fine line of tolerance and what shouldnt be tolerated as far as i can see.

All I want is my D amn and H ell, honestly. :tup: And I dont think anyone has gone Racial in comments that I have seen in my 1/2 year on the board and dont think anyone would.

Oyea and can we get the Location thing workin on posts?? Proud out of state fan here!!

KUTGW

7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    With what is in bold as to the D word and the H word, there will be some posters if we were to allow them that in an attack situation a person can say " Go to H word " and to me that is unacceptable. There is even " GD " for instance again it needs to be censored towards the D word more than the G word. So we need those words censored due to the contexts it might bring which is not peaceful at all.

I do get the point of saying " H word Yeah" for instance and that is not offensive but it is for the times that the H word can be used negatively that we need the censorship always.

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    hint to thread starter: Don't make polls multi-vote when it makes no sense for them to be multi-vote or assholes such as myself will vote for every option.

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    I think there's a huge enough difference between the N word and regular curse words that it doesn't warrant drawing the line from the N word to the rest just because the N word is so offensive.

I think there are other reasons that make some amount of sense to censor other curse words, but your argument here is a pretty huge stretch in my opinion.

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,752 / 39 / -8
    For the most part people here do control themselves. Then we have arsehats like MTL who come in and post stuff that pushes the boundaries. We do need filters because this is a site not just for the he-man machiso oozing fan, but it is a family site as well. That is my take at least. Robdog and Ray can correct me if that is the wrong concept.

I never read TH17 cursing and was a little shocked at his rants against the filter. His right to not like it though.

The filter is nothing new here, we had it in place since just about the time to forum opened. If you cant get a message across without dropping f bombs, then there is something wrong in my opinion.

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0

So you want the N word to be allowed here?

If so than why do you think my argument is a Huge Stretch to not want the N Word be allowed here?

My opinion it definitely needs the censorship and I think I am not even coming close to being a Stretch.

If it makes me an unfair MOD I will gladly be unfair in this instance to never allow the N word be here at all.

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    How on earth did you read that I was ok with the "N" word in that?

I was saying that you're drawing a HUGE stretch by saying that because the "N" word is offensive that means we need to ban all curse words.

And you're doing it again by asking why I'm ok with the N word (when I'm not) just because I contradict your argument about all curse words being censored.

The "huge stretch" I'm referring to is not the fact that the N word needs to be censored, it's your argument that because the N word needs to be censored all curse words need to be censored.

And I never called you an unfair mod. (In fact, you're almost always the voice of reason so that couldn't be further from the truth) I just think your logic in this matter is a bit flawed.

Quite frankly, I don't even care if all curse words remain censored. Asterisks don't bother me and more often than not the reader can generally tell what word is supposed to fit in there by the context of the sentence so it doesn't even matter. I'm just arguing against some faulty logic that I'm reading because I have a bad habit of doing so.

If you want to say I'm arguing just to argue (and honestly I probably am) then go ahead, but your still drawing a huge stretch here by saying everything needs to be censored just because the N word is so offensive. It isn't an all or nothing issue.

edit: And it's probably impossible to be an "all or nothing" issue anyways considering what is and what is not a "curse word" is pretty ambiguous, save the most obvious ones.

13. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    I am not stretching what so ever by the censorship of the N word to include other words and the F word being put on the same table for such Censorship.

The way I was thinking is you were thinking that since we censor other words to include the N Word that we should not censor any words to include the N word. It was a mistake of mine.

There are words that are censored because in the wrong context they are very offensive like if I were to use this word of the "C Word in a persons armor ". That is not offensive but the other type is too offensive to an Asian person. That is why it is Censored.

Which leads me to this question is should we censor the " WTF " phase acronym for instance because it refers to the F word for the argument?

Should we then censor all types of ways to say those such words as again for the argument?

I think we give a lot of latitude to speech and a very very small percentage of words that are Censored.

14. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205 / 1 / -0
    I agree some words can be very offensive, but that's only because of the misuse or stigmatism that people have created. I am not easily offended, nor do I often offend people. They are just letters put together with no spaces people, don't let them ruin your minute/day/or life. The only reason there is a meaning behind any word was mans doing. How foolish ancient man was to first let another mans words affect their day, that evolved into what you see today.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    You may as well censor asterisks as well if you're going to ban an acronym.

If you see a post that says "What the **** is going on here?" anyone knows what the **** is just as much as anyone knows what the WTF stands for and neither actually says the word.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    While you're right, unfortunately most everyone (myself not included) cannot look at it from this idealistic nature and can't get past it being offensive.

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    It is ok by me like I said first ever poll ever online ever.... I course failed to make a good 4th option like *lets all jus get canned*

Also you as an individual and human, I assume. You have the right to be an as.ho.... Erm I mean vote all you want. Not that the world doesnt exist wout Aholes, so at least you are proud and doin your ahole part. :]p

It is true filter or no, 9 out of 10 avid ineters *children 10 and up included* can spot a 4 letter word to the spelling through the context.

I would think that it would be a ez fix if the filters were less constricting, at same time wouldnt there be a way for a punishment like temp ban that would fix the idea of trying to start verbal attacks? Let alone Harsh verbal attacks. Still in favor of hell and damn being open to say, at same time ez to temp ban or block posting of an over using offender.

Like I said I am but a grunt in this milita. Woo hoo I see it jus takes time for the bolt cash!! YAY i feel like bettin 100k this week!

EDIT: Would put a big thumbs up to the mods and rob, but not that good at smileys.

18. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +246 / 22 / -3
    while we are on the topic of race and offensive slurs. I dont kno being a caucasion, I have pretty hard skin when it comes to anything close to a racial slur directed at white people. I can understand from having enuff friends who are black how the N word still carries more weight than any other racial slur I know. To me the N word doesnt even mean a black slur. To me a N word is the worst kind of person you could meet who is only out for them there now and all for taking what you have to get it faster. Its deffinatly a harsh word to say the least if you consider every person will have a more deep/individual definition to any racial slur based on how much they were/werent exposed to hearing such things.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    my .02

Racial slurs are way out of bounds and I'm pretty confident in my 4 years here and several more at the UT, everyone knows to control themselves in that regard. That being said those words are s given. Now for our younger members, I would certainly consider F bombs not be allowed. For our female members, speaking from experience, I've avoided any words that might in the offend.

so, in other words

d amn
    shiit
    and h ell are about all I got! :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    I've seen way too many people make this vein effort to try and redefine the N-word, but it simply does not work.

It's easy to sit at your computer desk or talk amongst your white friends about how the N-word isn't meant to degrade all black people but that it means any (fill in derogatory description here) regardless of race and how not all black people are N*****s and even some white people are that, but try going to a black person and explaining this to him or her and see what happens.

The word is forever tainted and will always have the offensive meaning it has towards black people no matter how much anyone tries to redefine it.

It's like when Randall tries to reclaim "************" on Clerks II. I'm sorry, it just won't work.

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    The filters do not matter. People are creative and just spell them differently or add another letter. Tell me that a youngster cant figure out Fvck or FUKC or Fuc or Fuq or Fuk or Fck or FU.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 29 / -2
    And more often than not you can decipher what the word is supposed to be by the context of the sentence.