1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How important is urgency in the hiring of a new GM and head coach?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Jan 3, 2013.

1. powayslugger

powayslugger Optimistic for 2013

Ratings Received:
    +130 / 1 / -0
    I'm watching and listening to how other teams are moving quickly to interview head coach candidates and GM candidates. I sure hope that Deano learned a lesson the last time he waited 3 months to fire Marty and all the good coaching options were gone.

I have to wonder how urgent it is for Dean to get a new GM on board? He I think he needs to move quickly and get that guy before hiring a new coach. Dean should have been getting his sh!t together at least 5-6 weeks ago when everyone- including Norv and AJ - knew they were getting canned.

Sure we need to do some due diligence before hiring new guys. But seriously, can we afford to hire the 10th or 11th best coaching option out there if Dean decides to take too long in the GM selection process? Chip Kelly, Andy Reid, Whisenhunt are all getting interviewed for HC jobs... right now. We may not be interested in any of them but every day that passes puts us further behind the 8 ball.

Oh how I wish Norv had gotten the ziggy at mid-season.
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +625 / 39 / -9
    7 teams fired their HC. One of those teams is getting Andy Reid. That leaves 5 teams with which we're competing, and we're going to be behind the 8 ball until we get a GM signed.
  3. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +13 / 1 / -0
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...hargers-to-continue-gm-search-from-east-coast

The San Diego Chargers' four-man search committee is traveling to the East Coast today to conduct a handful of interviews to complete its general manager search, according to a club source.
    The team's director of player personnel, Jimmy Raye, is the only candidate to have been interviewed thus far.
    Also in the running are New York Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross, Indianapolis Colts vice president of football opperations Tom Telesco, San Francisco 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, Atlanta Falcons director of player personnel David Caldwell and Arizona Cardinals vice president of player personnel Steve Keim.
    The Chargers' goal is to name a new general manager sometime by the middle of next week. They then want the new general manager jump in on the coaching search with chairman Dean Spanos, director of college scouting John Spanos, assistant general manager Ed McGuire and consultant Ron Wolf.
    The Chargers haven't interviewed any coaching candidates, but might talk to "a couple" while they're on the East Coast, a team source said.

Also Arians, our leading candidate for HC has been forbidden to be interviewed by the Colts until after their game this week.

Summary: Calm down, they're onto it.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,530 / 10 / -0
    Worth repeating.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 4 / -0
    I agree, next Wednesday is fine. Some of the HC candidates may not be available until the week after or later.
    Getting the right GM now will pay dividends down the way.
  6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    well then I guess we need to get those playoffs done so we can start interviewing the candidates because we can not do anything until then.