1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

How the Chargers Feel About Their Head Coach

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,754 / 39 / -8
    Some are not going to like this... But who gives a tiddly-hoo?

http://www.chargers.com/news/articl...ad-Coach/b007bf89-0571-43b5-8b79-0fccc68a2228

Ricky Henne
    Managing Editor
    Chargers.com

Before leaving for the offseason, the San Diego Chargers expressed how lucky they are to have Mike McCoy as their head coach.

There were a lot of emotions running rampant through the Chargers locker room Monday as the team parted ways for the offseason.

While disappointed to see the season come to a close, feelings of hope, pride, optimism and an overall sense of brotherhood seeped through every interaction.

It’s amazing to think how far the Chargers have come in such a short period of time. At this point last year, the team didn’t even have a head coach. Thus, we asked the team for their feelings on Mike McCoy, and the answers show a great deal about how the team feels about its leader.

Here is a sampling of what some of them had to say:

“His constancy and his belief in each individual player on each side of the ball is amazing. His belief in the team and his confidence he instills in everyone, it means the world to know you have a head coach who will back you up and thinks the world of you. And he is understanding. He knows what this league is all about and he wants what’s best for us as players. So he has done an unbelievable job and it will only get better in the future.” –Eric Weddle[​IMG]

“He is very detailed in what he talks about and very passionate. When you think about a head coach you think about many different things, but the important thing is he finds a way to motivate. I think that more than anything else is what sticks out to me. He finds a way to motivate each player, and that is what sticks out to me.” -Antonio Gates[​IMG]

“It is just so awesome to see how quickly he has turned around this organization. He has changed the culture of the entire football team and led us to expect to win every football game. We went into each game expecting to win every time. I can’t say enough what he means to this team.” – Nick Hardwick[​IMG]

“The energy he’s brought has been real good. It changed everything up with us. He made us believe. He brought us together as a team. It’s good now and it will be good from here on out.” – Ryan Mathews[​IMG]

“It’s awesome. He delivered a message to us, we believed in his plan, we believed in his philosophy and the personality he wanted to instill into this team. I’m looking forward to playing for him the next couple years, God-willing.” – Jahleel Addae[​IMG]

“Coach McCoy means a lot not only to me, but the team. Where he thought we could go and the position he put us in, I think it speaks for itself.” – Keenan Allen[​IMG]

“Coach is a great guy, let alone coach, so he really did a good job of bringing us all together. I think that definitely showed because we were playing as a team. That’s what it’s all about – getting the best out of your team, and that was evident definitely in the last month or so of the season.” – Kendall Reyes[​IMG]

“I learned right away that Coach McCoy is a great worker and a great motivator. People really just fall in line behind him. He just got us ready every game. He is really good at putting us in the right position.” –Reggie Walker[​IMG]

“He’s a good coach, a player’s coach – someone that believes in his players and trusts in his players. That’s big coming from a head coach. Just knowing your coach has your back while you’re out there on the field and has your back in all aspects of the game and in just everyday life.” – Richard Marshall[​IMG]

“He put a goal before us from the very start that we were going to try to be the best team out there this year. That echoed through everything we did from practice to meetings.” – Rich Ohrnberger[​IMG]

“It was good. Just being a rookie coach, you kind of learn as you go and you just saw consistent improvement from him as far as the way he carried himself with the team.” – Chad Rinehart[​IMG]

“Straight-forward guy. He’ll shoot you straight every time. A good coach to lead us in the right direction.” –Tourek Williams[​IMG]

2. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    Wow! So much different to all the hateful things they said about the last guy:laugh: "tiddly-hoo"? umm... nothing nothing

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +146 / 19 / -5
    I like McCoy he brings energy and confidence to this team. This crazy run we had this season probably bought him brownie points to higher managements since he didn't in his first year.

I just hope he doesn't get complacent and think there can't be a way to get better.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I think McCoy is a great man and coach. Even in the losses when you spoke you knew he was sincere and wasn't just covering his @#$, in fact he never let his coaches or players take the blame for anything.

The organization, players, and even the fans bought into what Telesco and McCoy were selling even if it was sometimes questionable, at the end of the year it all made sense and paid itself off, and that alone excites me.

The 2013 Chargers weren't a great team, or the most talented team, but McCoy gave this team "Heart" and that on its own is a very dangerous animal. Even up to the Divisional round playoff elimination, there was not one team we faced that we couldn't beat, or one game that we were over matched gamewise. He made every win special by having the players stay out and celebrate with the fans and every loss mean something by learning from their mistakes.

This team will continue to get better if they continue to keep their homegrown impactful players (Butler, Liuget, Ingram) and keep believing in themselves as one unit.

Go Bolts!

5. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    He blamed execution of the players when coaching was the problem and went out of his way to publicly single out Fluker to the point he said, "You all saw me"

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    While obviously disappointed about the end of this season, I feel dang sure better about going into next season than I was coming into this one.

IMO, this season has been a success...with thanks to Mac and TT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 32 / -0
    Singling out a player for a boneheaded mistake is not bad coaching.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +113 / 4 / -0
    I call BS. It was Troutman and it did not concern play execution, but a personal foul that cost us 15 yards in the red zone. At least you should have the facts straight before you troll.

9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +885 / 5 / -0
    What about Rivers? Did anyone ask him how he felt about the coach?

10. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    "troll"? How many descriptions does this word have now? Sorry I got the name wrong but I wasn't commenting on bad coaching-only that someone here said he didn't blame players. And the Troutman incident was different to the earlier execution excuses he made for his play to punt and 4th down goal-line fiasco.

11. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    it can be if it's public and the coach looks for media approval for how hard he went on the player. But you missed the point and if intentional....you a troll. Trollific!

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,120 / 32 / -0
    You should really never try to be funny. Or clever. Or smart.

13. Burlington Bolt Brother

Ratings:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    great! onto your next mistake