1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks Gates is washed up...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ikeman83, May 14, 2013.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    NE
    Bal
    Pitt
    Ind
    SF
    Atl
    GB
    NO
    Dal
    Cin
    Hou

Alright, I can't do more than 11 without having to bring up some fairly questionable situations (NYG, CAR).

I probably should've titled the thread "I guess I'm not the only one who thinks Gates is washed up as an elite player", but the thread title was already excessively long to begin with.

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    I admit that I was a little surprised about what Gates had to say regarding his placement on the list. His play has declined & I always thought that he stayed pretty quiet & let that do his talking for him.

Is he washed up? Hardly - but then, who are we mere mortals to challenge the football genius of Ikeman? I mean, c'mon - he speaks a 2nd language, ferchrissakes! Clearly we are intellectual inferiors.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Could it also be that Norv, who was hired in 2007 when Gates production started dropping, used him in a manner that didn't suit him?

People like to say Norv and Cam ran the same systems, but they were not 100% the same. We went to a lot more deep throws under Norv than we did under Cam. Maybe us transitioning back to a offense that does use the short pass more often, will actually increase Gates impact on the game.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Possibly, but his YAC is awful because he isn't explosive. If we start using him on short throws, his production will likely just decrease further, as he won't be able to get additional yards.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Vincent Jackson had low YAC also, does that mean he wasn't explosive? No

You can even go back to 2009, VJ's best reason here, and he had only 3.2 YAC per reception while Gates had 6.5 the same year on even more receptions than VJ

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    VJ made big plays downfield, but do you recall him taking many short passes and turning them into huge gains? Gates used to take a pass which was beyond the LBers and turn it into a big play by laughing at a DB. Now he can't outrun the LBers anymore, even if he can still use his body to box them out.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    He has had a foot injury the last 2 years. You don't think that had an affect?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    He's had a foot injury for the past 4 seasons. My understanding of the injury is that it never goes away, so I don't expect him to play any differently going forward.

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,303 / 12 / -5
    There's levity, and then there's lunacy. I'll leave you to figure out what ikeman's assessment of Gates is. ;)

10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    People just don't appreciate what this guy does. All 32 teams would take a 32, soon to be 33 year old Antonio Gates. Gates' 83 touchdown grabs is behind the great Tony Gonzalez, who has 103 with 6 more seasons than Gates.

If you watch Gates, almost every single time he has a one on one (which is rare) he beats his man. The guy gets doubled up a lot. Listen to Charles Woodson talk about him in that Top 100 show.

This year, with McCoy and Whisenhunt's offense, an improved OL, I think his numbers will go right back up.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    In the grand scheme, he will never be the guy he was in his prime and had you suggested they cut him 3 months ago when there were players available in FA to use his salary on, it might have made more sense. But right now, it makes no sense at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    Only TE's I'd take over Gates in 2013 is,

Vernon Davis, Rob Gronkowski, Jason Witten, Jimmy Graham and maybe Tony Gonzalez.

13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I didn't say that they should cut him. I said that it's surprising that on a team experiencing a youth movement that they're paying a premium for a soon-to-be 33 year old TE with a bad wheel.

Cutting him at this point would be extremely poor judgement. Hopefully Green steps up this year. We need an explosive TE on this roster with the lack of quality at the WR/RB position to give Rivers (or his successor) a reasonable chance of success.

14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    You wouldn't take Hernandez, Fleener, Olsen, or Gresham?

15. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    Not true. Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation of the sole on someone's foot, usually caused by either carrying more weight or running flat footed.

It is something that people can be prone to getting more than once, but isn't usually something you can't get over. I think the key with Gates would be to drop as much weight as he can and still be effective, thus reducing the load bearing on his feet.

It is pretty painful though, I've had it before. Good famous example of someone having it is Ron Artest, he got over it by simply losing weight.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +522 / 13 / -3
    Aaron Hernandez -- I love, gets injured way too much. He's more of a slot receiver/H-back, he's not considered a TE to me at all.

Coby Fleener and Jermaine Gresham are too young. However, Gresham improves every year, but he has so much space with AJ Green going over the top a lot and teams taking him away, But I expect an even better year in 2013 with the emergence of Mohammed Sanu and also guys like Cobi Hamilton and Marvin Jones developing.

Greg Olsen? Hell no. He had his breakout year in 2012, predominantly due to what stat people like to call "junk yards". His stats are inflated due to his team being down so many points in a game, opponents laid back on defense, and thats where he picked up most of his receptions and yards.

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Yes. You are

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +212 / 1 / -0
    Whenever he goes......he has earned his right to retire as a Charger. :tup:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I could see a lack of RB, but lack of quality at WR? We don't have any current pro-bowlers, but we have a couple guys who have that potential, and it is 10x better than what we had in 2010 during Rivers best year. Difference is, Rivers had protection then, something he hasn't had since

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,093 / 31 / -0
    Your understanding of the injury, like many things apparently, is lacking. Despite the supreme confidence you have in your own opinion.

• Winner Winner x 2
  21. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,093 / 31 / -0
    So, in other words, you are full of ****.

• Winner Winner x 3
  22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,093 / 31 / -0
    Gates deserved to be higher than Hernandez. He certainly had better production than Hernandez last year.

23. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,871 / 48 / -26
    fify ;)

24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I came up with 11 teams where Gates wouldn't be the starter, that's hardly "full of ****".

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,303 / 12 / -5
    Yes, it is. Can't back up yet another claim you made. Color. Me. Shocked.:roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +829 / 22 / -1
    I'm surprised anyone gives two sh*ts about the NFL Top 100. I watched it the first year it was on because it was a football show, but quickly realized it sucked. There is no clear criteria, players were voting on guys due to rep, past history, future potential. So it just ends up being a popularity contest somewhat based on skills.

The NFL Net gets a one hour show each week, then another even more useless hour out of the "Reaction" show. Really? A bunch of people reacting to this stupid list. Then every day on NFL Total Access they manage to spend at least one segment on the upcoming group of ten, or the past group of ten, or whatever. It's a complete fluff piece of a show, just a bunch of useless filler for a network that has 24 hours a day to fill with programming. To give it any more importance than it deserves is even stupider.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,725 / 39 / -8
    I know. Look at Tony Gonzales, he did nothing for the teams that paid him as he got older.... */sarcasm*

28. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Atlanta was having a youth movement when they signed Tony G? Tony G had a bad wheel when he was signed by the Falcons? This is news to me...

29. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,093 / 31 / -0
    11 is not half of 32. It's not even close to half of 32. Arithmetic is another thing you don't know as well as you think you do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  30. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,093 / 31 / -0
    11 is not half of 32. It's not even close to half of 32. Arithmetic is another thing you don't know as well as you think you do.