1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks Gates is washed up...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ikeman83, May 14, 2013.

1. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    And half of the 11 teams actually don't have a better TE than Gates. I'm not one who thinks the likes of Owen Daniels, Heath Miller or Jermaine Gresham are better than him, not do I think Dennis Pitta is better, or even Jermichael Finley.
  2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    It's 34.375% of 32, would you like a medal?
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    There's 5 teams that would take Antonio Gates right now. And the NYG and Carolina would both take Antonio Gates in a heartbeat over Brandon Myers and Greg Olson.
  4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295 / 12 / -5
    Is that an admission you were wrong?
  5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    It's an admission that I posted 11 teams, which is 34.375% instead of 50%. If I counted the NYG and Car, that's 13/32 or 40.625. Numbers I don't feel bad about using to loosely describe "half the league".
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Chargers are having a youth movement? I believe what you are mistakenly referring to as a 'youth movement' is called the draft. I am not sure the Rivers & Hardwicks of the team fulfill your stated youth movement. See teams generally strive for a balance of VETERAN leadership and youth. Also Gate's bad wheel, how are you judging that? From what two seasons ago?

We currently have 26 players over 25 on the roster... What is this youth movement you are talking about?
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    26 of 90? How many of those guys were brought in by Telesco?(Answer: 5) How is "under 25" the cutoff for a "youth movement" in the NFL when the majority of players enter the league at 21-22? Rivers is on the team because he's an Elite QB if you give him any kind of protection at all and he was under contract. Hardwick is on the team because he was under contract. How many players from 2012 who were over your magic number of 25 got a contract extension?

There's the evidence of the youth movement. Have you seen Gates run well since 2008? Please post a video of him running well.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Actually 2008 may have statistically been the worst year of his career before 2012, when Philip Rivers spent more time on his back than a Bunny Ranch whore.

I can't overstate what having the 32nd ranked pass protection in the league did to the numbers of our receivers, GATES included. And considering the state of our O-line this year there shouldn't be much optimism that he nor anyone else will rebound......unless Norv Turner was holding us back more than anyone ever imagined.
  9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,378 / 36 / -16
    Is there some way to blame the Plantar Fasciitis on Norv?

(or A.J.? I'm totally willing to use whatever logical gymnastics that would be required)
    • Funny Funny x 3
  10. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,768 / 47 / -26
    I've tried rearranging the letters, but I don't see any way to spell either Norval Turner, or A.J. Smith........... very odd. :confused:
  11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I asked for a decent video since 2008 because of when his injury occured, not because of his statistical performance in any particular season. It's about him being able to run, not whether or not he caught many balls.
  12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295 / 12 / -5
    Even though it isn't HALF the league? FAIL.
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    It's called Youtube. sorry about the ****** music
    2009-2010 highlights
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydnxO-wvIuk

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    See above post ^^^^2010 he was on a record shattering pace before the foot injury.

What is the point of running if not to catch the ball? He's a big guy, he's always been smoother than he is fast, even way back in 2004.
  16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Whether or not he can run is somewhat relevant to whether or not he has a jacked up foot. Everyone knows that he can still catch.
  17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9

In a highlight reel 3 minutes long (with abominable music, btw)there were ~8 plays where he looked good running the ball. I don't really feel repudiated.
  18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,154 / 37 / -21
    Hard to catch anything if you can't get open. I agree he seems a step slower, but I think he can still produce at an high level (for a TE) if Philip Rivers can produce, and the only way PR produces is when he's standing in a clean pocket.

The other question for me is going to be if Mike McCoy and Ken Wisenhunt actually focus the passing game on him, or if he's just going to be a redzone guy, or if he's just going to fade out as we line up 3 or 4 WRs in a single back formation etc...
  19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    I couldn't give a rat as$ if he can run fast or not, he can still make plays. Why this is even a discussion at this point of the year is ridiculous
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Well, you have to figure that DX, Floyd, and Brown are going to see the field a lot. Woodhead will probably be in on a lot of those packages, and then you've got Allen, Royal, Meachem, Green, and Gates left as option 5. Of those 5, Gates is far and away the least explosive, and with Woodhead available to come out of the backfield for short passes, you have to wonder why they'd put Gates in on any play that wasn't in the red zone.
  21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    It's a discussion at this point because we're tight against the cap and he's being paid in excess of his performance. It's the same reason that people ragged on Castillo for years.
  22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,706 / 39 / -8
    Would someone educate this guy on tight ends, he seems to think they are supposed to have the 40 times of wide outs... He also seems to think that players being on the team and being older get a pass from his ridiculous theories about player strategies.
  23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    And you already stated that you don't think he should be cut. So his cap hit is irrelevant at this point unless you are suggesting he gets cut. If that isn't what you are suggesting, then it is a pointless discussion
    • Winner Winner x 2
  24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Red: no, actually, I don't. I just think that they aren't supposed to look like they're falling over themselves when they take a stride.

Green: no, actually, I don't. I do, however, think that older players under contract typically are treated differently than older players not under contract when a team is having a youth movement.
  25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    It's all pointless discussion. Not one of us (unless I'm mistaken) is an NFL GM, Scout, or member of the FO personnel. Not one of us is a member of an NFL coaching staff. We all sit here and engage in this pointless discussion because it interests us to do so. Obviously the topic is interesting, as it has 84 posts on it.
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Having discussions is one thing, bitching and whining about a player while also stating that they should not be cut at a point of the season when it is too late to find a replacement, and the premise of the whining being "He is slow". What do you expect to accomplish? Hoping others will say "Yeah, you are right"? Looking for a pat on the back?

If you don't think he is playing well, and think he is paid too much, but also do not want him cut, then what do you expect to accomplish in the conversation?
  27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-diego-chargers/antonio-gates/

He isn't going anywhere. The dead money if he were to get cut would be $7,087,500, which is more than his cap hit if he stays on the team($6,862,500). So once again, what is the point in this conversation? You want to suggest drafting one next year or have a conversation about Greene needing to step up, fine. But a conversation about Gates alone, is pointless and come across as you looking for people to validate your opinions.
  28. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,068 / 30 / -0
    No, I'd like you to admit that you overstated your position, and STFU about it. But that's too much to ask.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Green needs to step up, and we should probably draft one next year if we're in a position to do so. I was unaware of his option bonus. Cutting him next season only saves 2 mil on the cap, so he's probably uncuttable until 2015. Shame, because a 7.3 million cap number for a non-explosive player is awful.
  30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Sure is.