1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I think we're drafting RB's in the 1st and 2nd round...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Jan 21, 2010.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings Received:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    LEGARRETE BLOUNT!!!!!
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    by the same token, two of the three were never really given a chance in san diego. The first is bordering on a bust or at the very least, completely unworthy of the third rounder we picked him with or the second we traded to get that pick with
  3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    They were given a chance...in TC and pre-season and didn't make the cut....Aside from what we see in the pre-season games against watered down defenses....They need to show the coaches a reason to keep them on board...They didn't show enough, and probably never will.

We need to draft a RB in the first or second round this year. Though success isn't guaranteed, it improves the odds of landing a starter considerably.
  4. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    Possible starters we could draft in first 2 rounds...
    Ryan Mathews
    Jonathan Dywer
    Ben Tate
    Anthony Dixon

Not too much to choose from... Maybe we should wait and take Tate or Blount or Gerhart in one of the later rounds.
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Don't be too surprised ..... :unsure:

Joique Bell in the 4th, even better if he dropped to the 5th.

LaMarcus Coker in the 7th or UDFA.

This would only change for me if Spiller was there at 28. Then all bets are off. :yes:
  6. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    If Spiller is there at 28, we get the steal of the draft. It's a nice thought, but I can't see Seattle passing on him with one of their 2 1st rounders. They have a big need at RB also.
  7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    Since the Chargers like to Draft in the South I love Jonathan Dwyer as a RB for the bolts.

The rest are good but I am going on our past and Dwyer would fit in perfectly because The Chargers need a RB that can get the Yards the hard way by being a Power Back as it were.
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Sure, a D-II guy and a punt returner to fill the shoes of LT.:tdown: I'd be so dissapointed.
  9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    this year though it appears several good rb's will fall to the second and 3rd round. They're good backs. Its just teams will problaby go for other positions in the first round. I wouldn't be surprised if in the 2nd round theres a rush to then grab your rb. We just need a better 2nd round position to grab the best one.:yes:
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I think Carroll would absolutely love to have a guy like Spiller. Look what he did with Bush.

And there's an LT available at 28 in this draft? I sure don't see him. But I do see teams win with a good running game & we can do that. It doesn't have to be the level that we once had with LT.
  11. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    What do u guys think of Mike Bell?
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    Take this with a grain of salt BUT

There's a rumor going on through ESPN that the Bears are considering getting rid of Matt Forte to bring in a back better suited for the Mike Martz offense.

If he's being dangled i'd happily ask the price tag on him
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Of course not, but I'd be happy with Ryan Grant/Rashard Mendenhall/Matt Forte/Jonathan Stewart type player. A guy who forces defense to respect the running game and has great upside.

I don't think Mathews has Adrian Peterson type potential, but maybe he could be in the Frank Gore tier.
  14. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    It still isn't set in stone that LT will leave. I know he wants out but I say we give him his money and let him have another chance this next season.
  15. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Mike Bell is an oft injured guy who isn't going to give us much except a few flashes of power running IMO. I think he's a high effort guy who will embrace contact....Problem is that he doesn't do as much damage to defenders as they do to him. If you give the guy a 25 carry game, he'll probably be out the next 10 games.

We need two consistent producers in a rotation like most teams are going to these days...I don't think Bell can really even hold up enough to be in a rotation every week.
  16. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    Doesn't everyone know? The Chargers never participate in free agency... and to add to that the restrictions of the final 8 playoff teams really impacts our free agency in a negative way so don't count on us snagging any free agents this offseason.
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Technically were in the final 8 teams, meaning we can't sign any free agents until we lose one.
  18. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    My point exactly. I hope at the combine the Chargers will give a hint atleast to who they are looking at in depth.. That way it wont all be just guessing games.

BTW i do not think AJ will draft any offensive linemen because he just signed 2 from the practice squad both to 2 year deals.. He will probably only go for RB, DE/DT, LB, CB, and WR
  19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    I have to wonder if we could package Cro and the #1 for him. If AJ is disenchanted enough with Merriman, he might be the package with the pick. I might even be willing to part with both of them in one swell foop if we could get their second rounder along with Williams.
  20. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Why do that? Why not get a veteran free agent who is a great great leader and can settle the troops down? Someone w rings would be good too.

Why give up young players like Merriman and Cro?

This is where I think Jammer, Jamaal, PR need to step up. In the locker room...
  21. Retired Catholic

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Williams produces. If the rumor about Forte is true, then we could go that way as well. Maybe I'm jaded or something, but I'm not terribly impressed with the over the top potential of the college backs this year.
  22. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings Received:
    +37 / 9 / -0
    We can't get a free agent unless we lose a player and we can only replace that player and pay close to the same salary so getting free agents is near impossible for us. I say trade Merriman and Cro for Deangelo if we could... if not, just draft Ryan Mathews
  23. Retired Catholic

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    Williams would be terrific here, but the odds look a tad long.
  24. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings Received:
    +66 / 2 / -0
    This. We don't need someone who instills fear into NFL defenses, we just need a guy with a respectable run game. We're not going to get another LT, and with a passing game like this, we don't need another LT.

We can plug in a rookie and get better results than we got with LT this past season - Even if we wait until the
    2nd round and draft Toby Gerhart to play alongside Sproles, our run game will improve.
  25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    OK I'll pass this rumor along as well;

Dallas apparently does not want to give up Tashard Choice and there's an equally prevalent rumor that Choice not only didn't want to go but didn't want to go to San Diego. Instead, the Cowboys are looking to put Marion Barber on the block. That does make sense considering the public constant bickering between Barber and Jerry Jones.

If he's available, I'd offer Cromartie and maybe one other player for him. Barber would be a marvelous addition
  26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I like Forte, but the asking price may come too high for a final 8 team. It would depend on who we lose & how we structured the contract.

I like Mathews as well, but there are many who think Lonyae Miller is as good or better & will be a better value. And when I hear this, I look at Bell.

A deeper RB class is in sight. I just don't think that, barring Spiller dropping, there's a true "impact" RB left with 1st round written on him. BIG drop-off after Spiller.

I like Barber too, but Cro & another player is too much for him.
  27. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I like Barber's physical style...but I fear that he might be damanged good...His numbers and performance seems to have dropped off significantly since he signed a big contract. He may have already absorbed one hit too many.
  28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
  29. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    that sounds like a straight up trade with giving them cro. But then again. You have to remember a good cb (chuckle, can't or won't tackle) is a harder thing to find. So possibly dallas should owe us a 3rd rounder along with barber.
  30. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    Merriman is a good player. And he is a team leader. Cro on the other hand. CAn cover well. But has one little flaw.