1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Idiot Canepa says Chargers need Gruden

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Time for Ol' Nick to turn in his typewriter and go fishing. Yeah Nick, nothing wins games like star power.

Why stop there? We could add the Kardashians to the Charger Girls while we're at it. :rolleyes:

Canepa: Chargers need to make a face

The Chargers need a face. They need one on the sideline, in their locker room, in the community, in front of the pens and notepads and cameras and tape recorders. They need a man who will man-up and admit his failings and not get overwhelmed by his success, a rock star who can raise the public pulse.

They need Jon Gruden to coach this football team. Or someone similar to Jon Gruden. What the heck. They need Jon Gruden. Now there’s a face.

In their 50-plus years of existence, the Chargers have had but three true franchise faces Sid Gillman, Don Coryell and Bobby Ross. All of them were no-nonsense, nothing-but-football coaches who were loved here. Marty Schottenheimer? The Angry Villagers who disliked him turned their hatred toward Norv. Marty wasn’t beloved until he left office, kind of like Jimmy Carter.

In the end, Norv Turner was not that person. I always will believe Norv was a good coach (bad coaches do not win 11 straight NFL games), but even he admitted he basically was loathed, for whatever reason, 30 minutes after his hiring. It probably came earlier than that. He never was making our Mount Rushmore.

If I had a problem with Norv off the field, it was that he didn’t take the blame. Unlike his former GM/pal, A.J. Smith, he never directed a finger at himself. Character flaw.

“When in command,” Bull Halsey said, “command.” And that’s what the Chargers need in this crucial time of their existence. They need a commander. They need someone up there on the bridge staring down at his crew not necessarily a captain beloved by his players, but respected.

Football certainly isn’t war, but it is conflict.

So sometime this week the Chargers will hire their latest general manager, and there’s no doubt the person will be qualified through pedigree and experience. He may be right for the job, but there are no guarantees. His first (and most important) duty will be to hire a head coach.

And he has to look at the face. GMs are terribly important, but they are not faces. How many people out there can name every general manager? Fans got on Smith for being an aloof GM, but aren’t most of them?

After Chargers boss Dean Spanos told Norv and A.J. to bring their playbooks last Monday morning, I asked Dean how much of the decision was business. His past three seasons have ended without playoffs. TV blackouts are growing. He’s trying to get a new stadium built. He cannot afford apathy, although he knows the Chargers matter in San Diego. Check our Website. The Chargers dominate it, and if people didn’t care they wouldn’t bother signing on.

“A lot of it; most of it,” he said of it being strictly business, that his team needed a change of direction. “It’s nothing unusual. When a team doesn’t win, fans don’t come.”

In the Chargers’ case, I believe it was more than that. The fans didn’t like Norv, nor did they take kindly to A.J. allowing some of their favorite players to leave town. Many fans don’t find Spanos trustworthy, to the point they refuse to understand that he spends money, and they wanted change Dean refused to give them a year ago.

And, with quarterback Philip Rivers getting beat up more than a thousand-year-old Persian rug, there basically is no current star power on this football team. Not one Pro Bowler (although safety Eric Weddle was most deserving, safeties do not sell tickets).

So what do you do when you haven’t celebrity on the field? You hire a coach who can fill the void until the stars realign, that’s what.

The Bills just hired Syracuse coach Doug Marrone, who had a .500 record with the Orange. Check the number of Buffalonians jumping into Niagara Falls without a barrel today. The Chiefs hired Andy Reid, a face all right, but one whose makeup wore off in Philadelphia.

Bruce Arians, who as interim coach led the Colts to the playoffs, is a hot commodity but had a health issue and was taken to the hospital Sunday morning prior to the Indianapolis-Baltimore playoff game. How that affects his attractiveness remains to be seen, but I don’t know if he would be the right fit here, anyway.

Rumors connecting UCLA coach Jim Mora to the Chargers job have surfaced. I refuse to believe them. Nothing says sexy like a 9-5 college coach who failed before in the NFL. Why not keep Norv?

Oregon’s Chip Kelly? Will that breakneck offense fly in the NFL? As a highly experienced NFLian told me: “I just can’t see those 350-pound linemen getting ready to run a play every 15 seconds.”

Kelly might be a face, but he’s a tire-kicker. Ken Whisenhunt is an excellent coach, and so is Lovie Smith. Mike Holmgren? I’d have a hard time arguing with him.

It may not be Gruden, but this team needs a monument, brakes to halt the skid into the apathy pool. They have to go viral with this one.
  2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 5 / -3
    Canepa is and always has been a hack
  3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,247 / 12 / -5
    If the Chargers hire Gruden, they'll be the next team on HBO's Hard Knocks.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,498 / 27 / -1
    Blue Bolt, change your sig. They're not here anymore. :roflmao:
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    I'm waiting to see who we land first. ;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    Players would respect Chucky, Whisenhunt and even Holmgren and quit playing the grabass game Norv allowed to go on. The marshmallow man Kelly just doesn't look like a winner.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3

He could have summed it up in a sentence if you ask me. :D
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    I understand why people don't like Gruden as a person.

But I guess don't understand why you wouldn't want him as a coach.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
  10. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
  11. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
  12. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
  13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 22 / -1
    I see what he's saying. Most Charger fans don't pay as much attention as people on forums do. To those people, Gruden or Cowher are great coaches. They are intense, they make faces on the sidelines, etc. A big name will make those people happy, because that's as deep as their analysis goes.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Because, aside from the one Super Bowl, he didn't do much afterward.

Face it, Dungy built that team, and Gruden just took that talent a little further. Following that Super Bowl, the team went 7-9 and then 5-11. They then rebounded to 11-5, but went 4 -12 the following year. Other than the Super Bowl year, he twice got the Buccaneers to the playoffs, and immediately lost in the Wild Card round. Does he really sound that much better than Norv?

Heck, if Rivers didn't get injured that year, Norv might've won his one Super Bowl too. That's not a crazy notion, since that team was very talented (unlike the current bunch). Chucky (like Norv) inherited a very good team, and Gruden was fortunate enough to win a Super Bowl that first year. The rest of his tenure is even less distinguished than Turner's here. Norv only had one losing season (in 6 years), Chucky had three (in 7 years).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,332 / 35 / -15
    Yeah, clearly, if the villagers are OUTRAGED at a guy for going 56-40 over his last 6 years,
    "upgrade" in 2013 to a celebrity who went 45-51 over his most recent 6 year stretch.
    Because, you know, it's about winning. I see no flaw in this theory.

Gruden.png

Turner.png
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Thanks for the charts......... some people understand better having a graphic representation. ;)
  17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    I would agree except he also took the Raiders to a Super Bowl before he got traded by a senile Al Davis.

And in TB he never had a QB like Philip Rivers thanks in large part to the fact that they gave up 3 first round picks to get him!! He was stuck with the likes of Brad Johnson, Brian Griese, Chris Simms, Jeff Garcia and Bruce Gradkowski...and still they were not terrible even when the defense started declining late, in the playoff chase in '07 and '08 before a couple late season collapses thanks to untalented QBs.

As long as he doesn't want GM type control, I'd be delighted with the hire.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 22 / -1
    As stated before, MOST Chargers fans don't look beyond the headlines, so a "name" will make them happy. Face it, most Charger fans are idiots. I come across them all the time bitching about how we should have never traded Brees and other stupid sh*t.
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20

Of course you don't. Because you don't understand the value of a QB in the modern day NFL.

Good lord think of all the good things Norv would have done with the benefit of Bruce Gradkowski and Chris Simms! THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!:geek:
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    I also find it only slightly ironic, that only a few days ago, there was a U-T editorial (that's right, an editorial, not a sports article) that was entitled "7 Reasons to Hire John Gruden".

I guess, the publisher decided that Nick needed to be his water boy and get more fans onboard. :rolleyes:
  21. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    And yet, you're one of the people that lambasted Norv for his record with the Redskins and the Raiders, when he didn't have a QB anywhere near the quality of Rivers.

Short-term memory issues? ;)
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,011 / 33 / -20
    Possibly, but I remember the Redskins losing a lot of games they should have won with Trent Green and Brad Johnson under QB late in his Redskins tenure...ironically the same QB Jon Gruden won a Super Bowl with shortly after. They were a lot like the Chargers now, lots of dumb penalties, lots of abandoning the rushing attack.

I guess my point is Jon Gruden had a career winning record and 2 Super Bowl appearances when he got fired by the Bucs....Norv is not even close, even after his time here.
  23. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    In a "what have you done lately" league, Gruden did less in his last 6 years than Norv...... plus, he's been in the booth, not coaching the game.

I see no compelling reason to bring in a guy like Gruden, except he's a "name" that will sell tickets. That's why the U-T is pushing him so hard, but I don't know why knowledgable fans should want him.
  24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,524 / 42 / -6
    It would be great if the bolts would go after Keith Butler but I don't see it happening. Zimmer would be my second choice but if it comes down to retreads I'd go with Chucky just for entertainment value alone.
  25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +883 / 15 / -1
    And you know why he was stuck with those guys? Because Gruden went to bat to retain or bring in every single one of those guys. And the late season collapses had less to do with the QB's and more to do with the defense being old - and never replenished - you ought to remember one of those games as Rivers and co. hung 41 on them in their house. In '08 they started 9-4, were 1st in their division at that point, then proceeded to drop 4 straight and miss the playoffs entirely. By the way, their "crappy" QB's threw for over 250 yards and at least one score in all save one of those 4 losses (and the one that was was still over 225 yards with a score).

I have a number of Bucs fans who I trust can put their bias aside enough to give an objective eval of Gruden as an HC (particularly in those final years), if you'd like I'll be more than happy ot hit them up for their take, but I'm confident they won't be giving glowing reviews.
  26. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,247 / 12 / -5
    Gruden has ONE superbowl apperance, with the Bucs. His Tampa team destroyed the Raiders in that superbowl.

Bill Calahan (who succeeded Gruden) took them to that superbowl. The year after that superbowl, they straight to last place.
  27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,247 / 12 / -5
    There's your reason. Like I said in another thread: Spanos wants a new stadium, sooner rather than later. Gruden will put butts in the seats and really create a media stir. If he gets them to the playoffs that first year, Spanos will get BOTH wishes: Sellouts and a new stadium. And I am 100% certain they'll end up on HBO's Hard Knocks.

All that being said...

I'm not 100% on the "Chucky" bandwagon. Especially for the reasons I outlined.

Who would you like to see as coach, Blue.
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Stop clouding his head with facts, will you? ;)
  29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings Received:
    +1,247 / 12 / -5
    I'm kinda surprised I'm the one who had to point it out. :laugh:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Of the names left, I'm not really sold on any of them. The best college guys are staying put, and the rest are retreads of dubious quality. To be fair, the GM pick will have a big influence on the success of whatever HC we end up with. If the holes aren't filled with real talent, it won't much matter who we hire.

Even Chucky might be OK, as long as he didn't have say on the draft like he did before. He might be a decent motivator ala Marty, but I wouldn't want him calling the shots on personnel. If Gamble got the GM gig, then I'd want him to make those decisions.

I am encouraged that the Chargers are going to interview Gamble. If it was just between Raye and the telephone operator, I'd question that they really tried that hard to find the best candidate.