1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

If AJ throws us a curve ball and goes O-Line first.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Apr 5, 2012.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    Who would love to see this draft?

1.David DeCastro OG, Standford- Great interior blocker, does the pull block very well and is one hard nut to crack
    2. Peter Konz C, Wisconsin- For some reason he is falling down the draft boards, nfl.com has him rated as the 38 prospect. but i would love to have this kid sit for one year and send hardwick packing,
    3. Antonio Allen SS SCU- Not huge on this guy, but he could help us with what we need.
    4. Jonathan Massaqoui OLB, Troy- We get a must need pass rush help.
    5. Josh Norman CB, Coastal Carolina- great ball skills, small school, could be our tolbert on D
    6.Matt Veldman TE, North Dakota State- Big body TE looks like a mcmichael.
    7. Gerell Robinson WR, Arizona State- A big physical receiever, doesnt have great speed, but hes young.
    7.Vontaze Burfict ILB Arizona state- hes a bit on the wild side but he is the most physical LB to come out in a while.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +225 / 1 / -1
    For once I just want us to draft the best player available, regardless of position. To often AJ reaches to fill a need or tries to find a diamond in the rough.

Obviously i'm not advocating making a choice like QB or anything, but the best logical available player at our slot. Anywhere where the person could contribute and potentially start, then bring him in. If DeCastro turns out to be that guy, i'd be cool with that.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    That depends on how they play now and over time. I'd be stoked to have an elite o-line, that's for sure.
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
  5. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Decasro is fine but why Konz. A left guard and right tackle is what is needed. Konz is a center and Decastro is a guard.
  6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    We don't need a center, now. We will need a center in the next 2 years. If we have an opportunity to draft an elite center now, then we don't have to draft an average center to start later.
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    If we did grab a center this year I hope it would be Philip Blake in the 4th, no need to draft a win later player in the 1st when we are in a win now mind set
  8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    An interesting AJ curve ball would be if he took Quentin Coples at 18, a guy whos stock is falling but has a lot talent. What makes it an "AJ pick" is that Coples is not an ideal fit for the 3-4, and after English and Liuget I'm starting to wonder if AJ really knows how to draft for the 3-4.

Not that Liuget wasn't a fantastic college player, I just think he belongs in the 3-teq.
  9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    If both DeCastro & Keuchly are there at 18, I'd have one helluva hard decision to make.

Which means that AJ will pick Barron. :rolleyes:
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    Chargers grooming Colin Baxter to be hardwick replacement.
  11. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Unless Konz is the next Hall of Fame center, I can't think of any good reason to take him in this draft, not with the crap the Chargers have at OLB, right tackle and strong safety.
  12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    So if a first round-ish center fell to us at 50 you wouldn't want to draft him? In a draft where there's 1 decent SS, who doesn't carry a first round grade, you would think it an abomination to draft a replacement/upgrade for Hardwick in the 2nd round unless he's a future HOFer?
  13. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    I personally think that if Konz fell to us at 49 id grab him in a heart beat, he could be the best center we had in a long time.
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    Just imagine if AJ grabbed Cam Jordan, Justin Houston ETC. last year and if this year O-line was one of our only biggest needs we would have a field day of Offensive line men which seems to be the deepest class aside from wide receiver
  15. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    yea exactly, but AJ always goes with the pick no one expects. It tends to follow us and make us a worse team
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Pick a center that wont start until 2014 or 2015 in the second round? No way. There will be plenty of talent there that AJ could pick from that would make more of an impact for the next 3 years, its just AJs job to find the right player.
  17. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I dont know what you mean about Jordan but Houston would of been better than Mouton.
  18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    That Hardwick doesn't immediately need to be replaced doesn't mean that he wouldn't be replaced earlier if the player we had on the roster was good enough to replace him. Drafting Konz this year (if he fell to us in the 2nd) and starting him next year could be a great move for the team. Hardwick has to be replaced in the 2014/2015 timeframe. That doesn't mean that he couldn't be replaced sooner.
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    You don't think Jordan would have been a better fit for us than Liuget?
  20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings Received:
    +236 / 22 / -3
    Top offensive tackles projected by round: 1st round: Matt Kalil, Riley Reiff, Jonathan Martin, Cordy Glenn
    2nd round: Mike Adams, Zebrie Sanders
    3rd round: Bobbie Mas sie, Mitchell Schwartz
    Teams in need:
    Atlanta Falcons: A lot of people think the Falcons will try to replace Sam Baker at LT, but this is a team that could go with what it has because the Falcons do not have a first-round pick.
    Arizona Cardinals: Levi Brown is the only starter on the roster and there are questions about his ability. The Cardinals gave up 54 sacks last year. I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted two tackles.
    Baltimore Ravens: They may try to get by with Michael Oher and Bryant McKinnie. The Ravens would love an upgrade on the left side, but it may not be possible.
    Buffalo Bills: Demetrius Bell is gone and an impact left tackle is needed in the draft.
    Chicago Bears: The big question is whether J'Marcus Webb is steady enough to protect Jay Cutler's blind side. I think so because of Mike Tice's offense, but don't be surprised if the Bears are thinking tackle early in the draft.
    Cleveland Browns: They need a starter at right tackle. Tony Pashos is done and Artis Hicks is gone.
    Detroit Lions: Jeff Backus re-signed, but he's 34 years old and coming off surgery for a torn biceps. His potential replacement should be Jason Fox, but he has injury history.
    Houston Texans: Eric Winston probably deserved Pro Bowl recognition last year and now is with the Chiefs.
    Indianapolis Colts: They traded for stop-gap Winston Justice at right tackle, but a top rookie would be a preference they have to consider.
    Jacksonville Jaguars: There is a void at right tackle that can only be temporarily filled by Guy Whimpler or guard Eben Britton.
    Minnesota Vikings: Charlie Johnson is not the answer on the left side. Maybe at guard, but this line gave up 49 sacks last season.
    Miami Dolphins: The left side of the Dolphins' offensive line is solved, but the right side needs an instant starter. If they don't draft one early, they will have to re-sign guard Vernon Carey and move him back to RT.
    New York Giants: Right tackle Kareem McKenzie is gone, and sooner or later the Giants will need to replace David Diehl on the left side. There are questions about Will Beatty, and finding another tackle in the draft is necessary.
    New York Jets: Wayne Hunter is not the answer at right tackle. The Jets need a rookie starter.
    Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers say they look forward to the return of Willie Colon at RT, but he has injury history. The left tackle probably goes to Marcus Gilbert. They may pass on this in the draft this year, but they need another player.
    St. Louis Rams: Rams tackles Rodger Saffold and Jason Smith have injury histories and were on injured reserve last year. Both seem better at right tackle, which means the club could look for a left tackle in the draft.
    Washington Redskins: Some people think the 'Skins need at least one tackle early in the draft. A right tackle should be the priority. Trent Williams is on the left side and is one failed drug test away from a year-long suspension.

Considering also that OG is in high demand in the AFC West with DEN and KC in need for one, I love the idea of gettin Cordy Glenn to shift from year to year from G to T. Considering the need for OTs by other teams it wouldnt be too high to draft him if we can slide down a few spots in the first or maybe even possible do the trade up in the 2nd and get him that way. Course I really want Harrison Smith to be possible wout reaching with the first for him, so with most of the 1st/2nd round guys I really like still being around in either scenario of whatever position is targeted first that we are gonna get a chance to draft a GREAT contributor to the team.
  21. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    If the Chargers go offensive line my guess is that they're looking for a guard who would be a marked improvement from Green/Vasquez. I think the team is content with Green (who did play well after Dielman went down - and I've never been a fan of his) and Vasquez (who showed some improvement this year) as their guards. Now if there's an opportunity to get MUCH better at guard (Glenn/deCastro) OR to groom someone to become that outstanding guard (later rounds), I think they'll do it. The Chargers are in the position that they could select a guard/tackle in the first round and still be in a position to get a good safety and pass rusher later.

I'm not even going to humor myself that the Chargers will get a replacement for Clary. I've thought that for 5+ years and never been right, so I'm not going to try. Which likely means we will draft a replacement
  22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    No one knows what the Chargers will do, because it's based off of what Smitty does in reaction (unless he proactively trades up, ***vomits***) to the other 17 picks ahead of his. I think that we may or may not be happy with this draft come May 1st. The real question is whether or not we'll be happy with this draft in May 2014. I know that I was elated with the results of our 2006 draft for several years, for example, but am certainly wondering why we have virtually nothing to show for it 6 years later...
  23. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,432 / 19 / -4
    That first part isn't a valid point; last year 2011 we knew they were going DE, year before 2010 knew they'd hit for sure RB and NT, in 2009-2008 we had some ideas, 2007 we knew safety and WR. So yes in years before, even when picking late, we knew what they were looking for.

Here the Chargers still have some needs but there's so many other positions that could be in play because of the way the first round shakes out that aren't immediate need. OG or CB might not be a need (probably more of a want) but if DeCastro and Glenn are there, might be hard to pass on them. Conversely we could reach on an OLB or a SS depending
  24. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    No. I flatly don't. After watching Cameron Jordan struggle at every turn in New Orleans, the guy was overhyped and living off of his production and Alualu's success. Whether Liuget ever blooms into a 5-Tech worth the selection he was given remains to be seen, but Cameron Jordan was struggling as a 4-3 LDE - that means no double-teams and being able to line up over the outside shoulder of the (generally) slower OT on a line.

And given that Manusky couldn't make up his damn mind whether we were a 1-gap or a 2-gap scheme, any 5-Tech that didn't have J.J. Watt type freakish athleticism would have struggled to produce much better than Liuget did.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No, I dont understand why people have given up on Liuget so quickly, your giving up on Liuget but Jordan was good last year. He did nothing for the Siants last year.
  26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3
    I'm not giving up on Liuget, I just think he would have been better suited as a 4-3 DT, I felt Jordan would have been better for us as a 3-4 OLB pass rusher, My comment above was in no way shape or form meant to be an insult towards CL I really like the kid, Last year was a fluke for most of these guys last year with no real off season preparation. Liuget was meant to be eased along into our defense but got thrown into the front lines after Castillo went down.He'll be fine for us but I bet 4 years from now when he's a FA he's going to sign with a 4-3 defense and be one of the best in the league
  27. charger1993

Ratings Received:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    I dont think Liuget can play in the 3-4, he's to light to play NT and hes to heavy to play DE. Idk y we drafted this kid
  28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    3-4 OLB? Did I just read that right? He was 287 lbs as a prospect, you just don't find guys that big playing OLB in the 3-4. In fact, the guy was prototypical 4-3 LDE size, a shade short to play the 5-Tech but passable because he had longer arms. The thing was, he was all pass-rush and not a ton of run-defense (his anchor wasn't/isn't great) - and his stock got inflated a bit in that regard due to Alualu's high draft selection and early success. Even I admit I was a bit taken with him, though I kept a mindful eye towards Cameron Heyward because he was the more well-rounded, prototypical 5-Tech. Given the way that our DL was utilized last season, Jordan would have floundered just as much as Liuget did if not worse.

Liuget was also anointed the Day One starter at RDE straight out of the draft - shows you how much sense our defensive coaching staff had last season, so I'm not sure where you're getting this "thrown into the fire once Castillo went down" business.

Honestly, I don't think anyone can give a true evaluation on Liuget until we see A) Some consistency in terms of scheme and B) what a full year in a pro level weight and training program does for his lower body strength and core strength.
  29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +711 / 17 / -3

Haha sorry for some reason I was thinking he was 270 tops even thats a tad bit heavy, but about the thrown into the fire I thought they were going to ease him into our defense having him split time with Martin
  30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    One thing about a weight training program is that alot of your success is a factor of the environment in which you train. I doubt there were many slackers in Liuget's college weightroom, but I doubt when he was in there that he was among the weakest linemen. Being around a bunch of guys who are significantly stronger than you drives you up, because there's nothing more embarrassing than taking those plates off.

If his work ethic is good, and he's driven to be the best, then I think we should see major strides in his overall strength. Whether we see better technique or not is going to depend on his position coach and Liuget's ability to grasp his responsibilities under Pagano's scheme this offseason.