1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

If released, Steve Smith to Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 6, 2014.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Though I agree, I can guarantee you Beckham, Benjamin and possibly Adams are gone already. Maybe even Robinson is gone by then too.
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    I bet 2 of the 5 (minimum) are still around. Haha it's one of those drafts where teams will wait for value. I personally am a huge Adams fan, but I think this draft is so stocked he'll slide because of it.
  3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    Those 3 seasons were with Cam Newton who is a pretty good quarterback whether hes elite or not idk but its not like hes playing with a bad qb. he did however play with a bad qb in 2010 and had 550 yards. and even last year i wasnt impressed with his performance, hes obviously gonna have some numbers because of all the opportunity he had simply because of how weak carolinas wrs are. and yeah any secondary gets better with a pass rush obviously but right now we have 1 cb on our roster with nfl experience. the road to the afc west crown is going through denver and how exactly are we going to stop that passing offense with shareece wright, steve williams, and marcus cromartie? I do like steve williams and maybe we can draft a cb like verrett in round 1 but im not comfortable throwing verrett and williams out there and then signing some free agent scrub for the veteran minimum for depth which is all we could afford after throwing like 4 mill at steve smith. Even if telesco frees up even more cap room after putting aside money for our draft picks we wont be looking at more than like 4-6 million dollars to spend in free agency. the idea of putting more than half our spending money into 1 guy (steve smith) is just something that doesnt make sense to me.
  4. BoltsNHoes

BoltsNHoes I gotta have me my....

Ratings Received:
    +71 / 2 / -0
    Steve Smith is still a certified bad ***.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    While I would love to see Steve Smith in lightning bolts next season, I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that he won't come here given our limited cap room and the amount of money he's likely to demand. If anything, I feel like Telesco is much more likely to sign a guy like Andre Roberts or Andrew Hawkins for much cheaper, if he decides to fill that role via free agency.
  6. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +185 / 2 / -1
    What if instead of signing Steve Smith we simply hold a team séance and channel his bad a55 attitude over to our defense?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 8 / -4
    Better than paying a 35yo WR what he's going to want, then crying about his salary.
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    I wouldn't sign Smith unless he'd come home to play real cheap which won't happen so pass.
  9. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    What does 2010 have to do with anything? Quite irrelevant when he had Jimmy Clausen (rookie) and Matt Moore throwing him the ball, one of the leagues worst offenses that ran the ball primarily with DeAngelo Williams (before hitting IR), Jonathan Stewart, and Mike Goodson.

The fact he has produced with nobody else to help him in Carolina for 14 years just his knack for getting open. Now think how open he'll be with Gates, Allen, Green, etc. We do not have a WR2 at the moment that can produce and that is reliable. Royal is strictly a slot guy, and often injured.

We cannot miss on a CB from rounds 1-3. There are a handful of guys in those rounds that can step in as rookies, just have to select the right one.
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    You never know. Teams are opting for younger players, he might get a few deals, but he might want to come home play with a contender and elite QB and also his former coaches in McCoy and someone who groomed him and recruited him in college in Fred Graves.
  11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    My biggest concern is for KA, he doesn't need any influence to becoming a turd. He has shown to be doing right well of it on his own.
  12. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    So did Rivers trash talking rub off on Allen this season? He's already what he is, humble and confident in his ability. If anything Steve Smith shows him how to better prepare throughout the week to put in a productive career similar to Smith's. Show him the sacrifice it takes in the off-season, the toughness, there both very similar in that they play with chips on their shoulders. Teams have a whole season of tape on KA13, and as we saw against Cincy in Week 14(?) I believe, we had no other threat that week, so what did they do? Double team Allen and we had virtually nothing. They gave nobody else any respect to win their 1 on 1's and stopped the run which led to our lowest output of the season in 10 points.
  13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Matt Moore is actually a pretty solid QB. Is he elite? No. But if a receiver needs an elite QB to put up top stats then he shouldn't be someone a team should be bending over backwards to get.

Greg Jennings put up similar stats to Smith last season with far lesser quality at QB last season (Ponder, FreeLOLman, and Cassel), and that still wouldn't stop me from calling him on the decline (which the statistics/production does support). WR's are a position much like CB's and RB's, when they fall off a cliff it happens suddenly and sharply; so I sure as hell wouldn't want to bank on a guy over 32 for anything over double the vet minimum (which given Smith's ego I'd all but guarantee he wouldn't play for unless it was a guaranteed ticket to a ring).

You appear to be really fond of hyperbole (i.e. "we can't miss," "he had nobody else to help him") - I'd watch that, it can get you into trouble. Especially when, he did have help: A Top 15 rushing attack most years (well inside the Top 10 in a number of those), a TE who went over 800 yards and 5 TD's both of the past two seasons... And there are several CB's in the top portion of this class who aren't going to be able to come in and transition seamlessly to the NFL. You actually contradicted yourself in the bolded portion.

You've got a jones for the player, but that's not an excuse to distort the facts.
  14. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    its relevant when you bring up his ability to put up numbers without an elite qb. matt moore isnt an elite qb so where are these numbers you speak of?How can we not miss on a CB in the first 3 rounds? Even IF we take a cb in the first couple of rounds and even IF hes capable of being a quality number 2 cb on opening day whos playing the nickle position (whos essentially a starter in todays nil) steve williams (5th round pick) who is esentially a rookie this year? Id say we were in the bottom 5 teams in the nfl last year at the CB position and I personally think it is by far the biggest area of need on this team right now especially considering denver is in our division. How did seattle embarrass denver in the super bowl? it was their defensive back play. So how should we go about addressing maybe the worst group of CB's in the nfl right now? By tossing 2 rookies into the starting lineup and be 1 injury away from tossing a practice squad level player into the starting lineup? Even if steve smith was 30 i wouldnt think that was the way to go forget about the fact that hes gonna be 35.
  15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings Received:
    +1,569 / 44 / -6
    Rivers is a Deva now???? boy are you way off the path here.
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Matt Moore had a good year in 2011, Matt Moore in 2010, was a totally different player. Moore lost the job to Clausen, a rookie at the time, thats how bad he was that year. I'm just saying Smith has been a reliable #1 option in Carolina's offense for about 12-13 of his 14 seasons there and has done it without an elite QB. Its not like he has an elite QB to skew his stats. Put him in an offense with an elite #1 receiver already and multiple weapons elsewhere and the guy will be even more productive.

I've always liked Smith, I'm defending the guy because people are so quick to put down the idea down because he is old or he has a 'big mouth'. Its not like his play has plummeted after 32. It's been pretty steady in the 60+ reception category.

There's a number of CB's that can step into our scheme that range from rounds 1-3. Gilbert, Verrett, Fuller, Roby, Desir and Reynolds I believe can. That's what I mean by we can't really miss on rounds 1-3, can we? Sure we can like drafting a guy like Dennard, Jean-Baptiste, or McGill, but I believe Telesco knows what kind of players Pagano commands and needs in that defensive backfield. Guys who are scheme specific, because Pagano doesn't tweak his scheme to fit his players, again, as we saw with the Derek Cox experiment.
  17. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Diva? who said anything about him being a diva? Rivers does trash talk, didn't know if this is news to you, and it didn't rub off on Keenan Allen to do the same and run his mouth. That's what one poster was indicating Smith would do to Allen if brought in here.
  18. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Gilchrist is playing the nickel position. One of the reasons why we locked up Stuckey today as well, because that nickel package with Weddle, Stuckey/Addae as our safeties, our corners and Gilchrist in the slot ready to press or blitz is our most effective package. Steve Williams might be a starter next year, and he's going to surprise some people. We saw this with Donald Butler when 2011 was essentially his 'rookie' season, and he was quite good.

A veteran will be brought in at CB, or they'll end up sliding Gilchrist back to CB. Where he can be effective as well. And Shareece Wright was effective down the stretch of the season.

And the Seahawks killed the Broncos because they were able to rush 4 and get effective pressure on Manning, making him move off his spot and get in his face and literally sit about 6-7 bodies in coverage. You can beat anybody doing that, it was just the fact the Seahawks front 4 dismantled the Broncos OL.
  19. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    Dude I really don't think people are opposed to Smith on the Chargers. It's the cost that is problematic.

And you've gone totally off the deep end thinking that by re-signing Stuckey we may have solved our secondary woes. Calm your balls.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Dude is still feisty
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Again where did I say with Stuckey the secondary woes have been solved? Is that a direct quote?

Stuckey was included in our nickel package towards the end of the year, as Whooki was asking who would be our nickel CB? I said one of the main reasons we locked up Stuckey and also released Patrick, was because we've trusted him to play in the nickel package with Weddle and move Gilchrist to the slot CB. That was our most effective package towards the end of the year and really was effective in Denver on TNF. Shareece Wright will be a starter, and we're either going to draft a CB to start here Day 1 or sign a vet to a 1 year prove yourself type deal.

I highly doubt we dip our toes again in the CB market in regards to a long-term deal unless its too sweet to pass up.
  22. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    Are you seriously making these assumptions based off the play offs? stuckey has had a basically non existent role in the defense ever since we drafted him and he was resigned for special teams and because hes a leader in the locker room not for what he provides in the defensive backfield. and we are just going to switch Gilchrist back to CB after a pretty solid first season at safety? Gilchrists versatility at the safety position is his biggest strength and in todays nfl safetys need to be able to come down and cover the slot. but you propose we just convert gilchrist back to nickle let steve williams start and start addae or stuckey? We need to bring in guys that can cover not just scramble around whats already on the roster and hope for a different result. and are you really going to try to say steve williams could have a good season as a starter because donald butler was good in his rookie season? what are you gonna tell me next that steve williams can have an impact because richard sherman was a 5th round draft pick? your just finding ways to justify the signing of your boy steve smith. how can you honestly believe that the talent level of the DB's on this roster isn't an issue. Its just absurd... Only 2 teams in the nfl have less cap space than we do as we have around 5 million dollars, so what caliber of veteran CB are we bringing in after we have spent just about all of it on steve smith? especially considering how cbs are getting paid this offseason sam shields just got 10 million dollars per season so who are we gonna get with the 750k left after we sign steve smith? I am honestly unsure why this is even being debated. this isnt even in the realm of possibility unless steve smith wants to play in san diego and is willing to take a huge paycut to do so. Meanwhile in carolina where he has played for over a decade he is a 7 million dollar cap hit and he refuses to even discuss a pay cut with the GM
  23. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    He'd bring the toughness and intensity this team could use. Again, I know its all about the $ with him.
  24. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    stuckey played towards the end of the season because cox was benched and didnt see the field and johnny patrick was on IR. I love stuckey but you act as if pagano unleashed stuckey the secret weapon down the stretch. no, what really happened was we had NO DEPTH at cb and this is how you wanna start next season off with NO DEPTH
  25. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Where do I even start?

No I am not making assumptions off the playoffs. But, if you are being rotated in the playoffs and getting game time, chances are you deserved it to some degree whether its in previous games or in practice.

A nickel package is 1 package of players. Its not your "starters" even though its probably the most played package throughout a game to some degree. But, once again your missing the point. Stuckey started getting rotated in Week 13 against Cincy at home. Since then, he was rotated more and more. Go back and watch film on the TNF against Denver PLEASE.
    [​IMG]
    It's clear cover 2 with Stuckey and Addae, Weddle picks up Welker in the slot and Gilchrist gets off the edge and sacks Manning. This is just a sample.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-...ional-Round-Can-t-Miss-Play-The-Butler-did-it
    WATCH ^. It's Cover 2 once again, same exact look forces an INT in the redzone, Manning's ONLY INT in the redzone all year forced by Stuckey.

I gave an example of a player who missed their rookie season and came back the following year and was given a starting role and was quite effective in Donald Butler. Never did I say he would be as effective as Donald Butler, but I did say he will surprise some of you guys.
  26. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    Im not denying stuckey was on the field? I am fully aware that he was but it was more out of necessity. it was basically between him and marcus cromartie since cox wasnt being played and patrick/williams were on IR. which is why we need depth at cb. we have 4 safeties on the field in this picture and both stuckey and addae struggle in coverage.. wouldnt it be nice to swap both of them out for guys that excel in coverage aka a CB?and im fully aware what a nickle package is its just 5 defensive backs on the field. and the nickle cb is typically a cb that comes on as a 5th db. The picture your showing is actually us in dime as we have 6 defensive backs on the field. Playing addae, stuckey, weddle and gilchrist all together in 3rd and long situations only further proves our need for a CB. idk the stats to support this but it sure did seem like we gave up a lot of third and longs last season and the fact that we had to play safeties instead of cbs i think had a lot to do with that.Not sure how we got to this point of talking about personnel packages but i guess we can just agree to disagree on the idea of signing steve smith..... i just watched the video and i remember that play, decker should have caught it as it went right off his chest. sure it would have been a contested catch but that was more of a bad play for decker than it was good play by stuckey
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  27. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +512 / 13 / -3
    Its a disguised look. Gilchrist is NOT a safety here. He is the nickel CB. He was the nickel CB at times last year as well in Denver when he deflected that pass in the air and Weddle took it in for a TD. He is a very effective nickel CB and when we switch out of that package back to our natural 3-4 he is an above average SS.

We didn't get beat deep in this look. Stuckey and Addae kept everything in front of them which allowed the CB's to play press man at the line to help disguised Gilchrist. Probably one of Pagano's best games along with the Indianapolis game in terms of switching up looks and formations.

We'll be just fine at CB. We draft one early, re-sign MarshaLOL, and sign another vet on the cheap in FA. We'll have plenty of bodies to compete in camp and IF, and its a big IF, Brandon Taylor is 100% healthy and can start on Day 1, Gilchrist might move back to CB.
  28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,140 / 36 / -21
    Actually Stuckey only played 1 snap in that first Cincy game. But he did play in over 50% of the Broncos game, and yes he was very solid, and really he was solid for the rest of the regular season with fluctuating playing time. It was the Wild Card game where he really stood out, having arguably the best game of his career on defense....and it should be no surprise at all that our entire secondary played better when we actually produced a good pass rush.

My personal opinion is that we should move Gilchrist back to nickel for now where he is more effective, then let Stuckey and Addae (who I also like) duke it out in pre-season for a starting job. It could be that Stuckey is blooming late because he's a game day player, maybe he's one of those guys who just doesn't practice well. It could also be that he's just a fluke. But my bet is that he's going to be dependably average, a guy who makes plays when the front 7 gets pressure, and struggles when they don't. I wouldn't pretend that he's a long term solution, but compared to the CB and NT positions our safety issues are a distant side show.
  29. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +810 / 5 / -0
    Yes, let's sign him now before any of the other 31 teams get a chance to acquire him. I'm sure we could get him for just a few bucks, he would be an asset to our offense, and has promised not to be a cancer in the locker room.
  30. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +153 / 2 / -0
    this is hilarious, thank god you arent the GM of this team. lets rely on steve williams brandon taylor another rookie we havent even drafted yet and richard marshall.. is that your plan on how to fix the secondary? idk if i should laugh or cry