1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

If released, Steve Smith to Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 6, 2014.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    Ted Ginn? Have you seen his catch percentage? It's pretty much a coin flip, he's has roughly about a 50% catch percentage and he HATES to be hit. This is why he never worked out in Miami and has bounced from team to team. The guy has unreliable hands and is scared to get hit. Sure offers a return game, but thats pretty much it. I thought he'd be a fit until I saw that ugly catch percentage and saw some film on his in 2013, still scared to get hit.

2. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +160 / 2 / -0
    The catch percentage stat your referring to is actually just the completion % of passes intended to that wr (I also saw the UTsandiego article and looked into that statistic further because it deff sounded misleading how they presented that information.) Ginn had a 59% last year and Cam newton overall had a 61% completion percentage. Obviously ted ginn is a huge bust as a top 10 pick in the nfl and his hands arent his strength but i believed last year he showed he is a guy more than capable of getting behind a defense. He even showed some ability to make big plays after the catch (like the game winning td against new england) He would definitely be able to add some speed to our offense and he would also give us a serious threat in the return game. He is ranked as the 100th best free agent so he could probably be an affordable option for us.. who knows i guess we shall see

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 19 / -4
    upload_2014-3-10_19-6-45.png RapSheet
    The #Panthers are attempting to trade WR Steve Smith, per source. Given his $7M cap number and age (34), seems unlikely.
    3/10/14, 4:58 PM

We might get our chance yet

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 29 / -1
    They cut him

5. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
    I have a suspicion that somehow he'll end up with the Patriots, as Tom Pretty will not be happy if his team doest play catch up with Peyton Potatohead's!

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21
    I loved Steve Smith's interview today...

“They’re going to get the best, in-shape 35-year old guy that they can get. And if that happens to run through Bank of America Stadium, put your goggles on because there is going to be blood and guts everywhere.”

I hope we make a play for him.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +520 / 13 / -3
    There is nothing to not like about the guy. He's a guy you hate to face but love to have. He might be 35, but he still gets open, and thats all that matters. I still think he can come cheap because he was just handed $3M to leave Carolina.

Come home Steve, Come home

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 29 / -1
    I wouldn't hate a Steve Smith signing at all, but a lot of it hinges on whether or not he's pricing himself like he's still 28.

9. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -2
    Well, tough luck! He is now a Raven :(

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 48 / -6
    Somebody that is fast, can catch and doesn't need to be fitted for a dress. I don't see SS filling the bill!!!!!! unless of course it's for the fish taco's.

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    RavensInsider: Steve Smith said he had an offer from the San Diego Chargers, Redskins wanted him to visit, Seattle very interested, too (6 minutes ago from TweetDeck, retweeted by jimsteeg and 25 others)

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,083 / 31 / -0
    I'll wait for independent confirmation on that one. Of course Steve Smith is going to say that alot of teams were interested in Steve Smith. It wouldn't surprise me if the Bolts showed an interest, though they probably would not have been interested in paying him the salary he'll get from the Ravens.

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    Just sharing what I'm seeing - I wasn't a fan of the Steve Smith in SD idea myself, I don't think he'd fit our locker room. That said - I also don't see how lying about this benefits Smith (after the fact). I'm sure the Chargers have been in the mix on a few guys who didn't end up landing here - they just don't talk as much as Smith does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,591 / 48 / -6
    Money, that's what I want, that's what I want oh yeah.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    If it makes anyone feel better, Telesco did make a play for Smith - we just got outbid with cap-space we didn't have to cover it. Steve (like any smart 35-year-old) went for the biggest offer a competitive team was willing to put out there.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/mar/14/steve-smith-chargers-offer-contract-ravens-mccoy/

Just go sign Jacoby Ford... that's a guy who hasn't had a quality QB (Palmer was the closest thing) his entire career. He's got speed to burn. Trick with him is staying healthy, but the guy also probably isn't going to get many, if any, offers above the vet minimum.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21
    You know if we really wanted him, he'd be here.

3 years is too long for a guy who's already 35.

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I doubt Smith sees the full length of the contract and it was more a case of the team went three years there to have more years to defer the signing bonus he got (yet to see full contract structure, I'll admit) over more than just 2 seasons. The thing is, the Ravens are in a position that we're not - they've extended most of the major starter that they're going to be adamant about holding on to (the only ones in the future that I can see them feeling the need to address - versus doing what Ozzie usually does and letting their mid-tier starters walk and replacing them with stop-gap vets and eventually draft picks - are Torrey Smith and Lardarius Webb, and even he could be let to walk if Jimmy Smith actually continues to develop as he did last season. So in short, they can afford to leverage the future cap-room a bit more than we can (with the contracts of Rivers, Gates - though he likely retires, Weddle, Liuget, Reyes, Green, Gilchrist, Mathews, and Wright all expiring in the next 1-2 years).

18. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    The Ravens get two more years of the faux-cheap Flacco contract before it's time to pay the piper. Might as well be aggressive now or else there was no reason to backload the Flacco K so heavily.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Yeah, the Flacco contract looks like it has built-in restructure written all over it - which is smart because he's not as good as the contract suggests he is (in terms of AAV relative to the AAV's of other starting QB's), but he caught fire and took them to a Super Bowl win at the single-best time he could for his wallet. Give him 1-2 more seasons for his play to likely come back down to earth, restructure him on the premise that "you'll get more bonus/guaranteed money" and we'll get a more favorable cap-number and all sides win, more or less.

I'm one of those folks that fully supports that the only way a QB should be pulling in $18+ million per year (i.e. more than 10+% of the team's total allowed salary/cap) is if that QB has demonstrated to be able to consistently produce at a high level with a middling supporting cast, because him making that large of a proportion of the cap annually is going to result in exactly that unless the team is chock-full of rookie contracts which is rare. It's why, unless he takes a MASSIVE step this next season, I think the Niners would be foolhardy to give Kaepernick $18-20m AAV, unless the contract is structured similarly to Flacco's. The Lions are the one unique situation here because they had little choice, Stafford's cap-number was gongi to be close to where it is regardless, so they were well off to give him the extension because it gives them a bit more maneuverability later on, if not immediately (from when they did extend him).

20. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +42 / 2 / -0
    I agree with you about Kaepernick (although MASSIVE might be a little strong) but I think that Ravens fans have deluded themselves a bit with the thought that they can just auto restructure Flacco's deal, thereby having their cake and eating it too. Flacco's cap number in two years is $28.5 million. If they release him? Just $2.7 million in savings. Flacco has an enormous amount of leverage, and if he cares about money as much as most of us he's going to grind another massive deal out of them. The Ravens should probably just release him at that point and eat the big dead money hit since he'll be 31, but they'll likely feel forced to give him a big extension to keep him around without an absurd cap number, and they'll get to see how good Joe Flacco is at age 36.

21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,211 / 37 / -21
    What is SF going to do though? Let the Raiders scoop him up? And then start from square 1 looking for a competent QB again? Yikes. Kaep struggles to complete 60% I'll say that, but his feet typically make up the difference. We're looking at a new generation of QB, and Wilson and Kaepernick will set their own market. They are not like Stafford or even Flacco who are graded by simple pocket passing standards, they are graded by the improvisational plays as well.

I think Kaep gets $20M minimum, does he deserve it...more than Flacco in my honest estimation, and I wouldn't blame them for fearing to enter the QB market again. It also helps that the cap is supposed to rise pretty rapidly the next few years, by 2017 $20M may not be what it is today.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I'd say there's a reason why Harbaugh (and as much as the discontent between him and Balke gets worked up, I find it hard to believe that both aren't on - for similar interest - the same page on this) has ensured they're chock full of mid-round picks year-to-year in the draft: Harbaugh is confident he cant mold just about any QB prospect with above average physical tools into a product starter in one year (by tailoring a system to him), and Balke (and Harbs) know to keep the ammo necessary to acquire said product readily available.

Worst case scenario, San Fran can buy themselves an extra year with the franchise tag - and could probably grab themselves at absolute bare minimum a 2nd-plus (considering what Alex Smith fetched) for Kaep in a trade.

Long story short though, I'm just saying that home-slice makes 2 reads and bails (at best)... in year 3 (going on 4). And the scheme has been developed to protect him thus far. But to earn the kind of scratch he's asking for, he needs to take major steps - ones that his "legs" and what he can do with them, can't make up for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Dean should have sent the private jet to pick up Hakeem and have a delegation of Chargers at charger park waiting to lick his nuts