1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Impressions on the First Pre-season Game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Aug 9, 2013.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    Granting entirely that it's pre-season, that the starters played very sparingly, etc etc ad nauseum disclaimer

- I already like how the offensive line looks, Dunlap looks orders of magnitude better than Mike Harris and I'm loving how strong Fluker plays. Even with the Seahawks running a bland system, one on one they handled their assignments.
    - Rivers seems like he knows what he is doing in the new system, seems comfortable, and is stepping up more into the pocket, something he hasn't done in years.
    -Like what I see out of Keenan Allen, think Vincent Brown should be concerned that he might not be starting.
    - Cam Thomas is a beast, he's really growing into the starting role
    - I do like what I see out of Wright, feel more comfortable with him than with Cox
    - Was Te'o even out there?
    - I don't care about their salaries, Meachem and Whitehurst look really really bad
    - Dan DePalma isn't Bryan Walters
    - Steve Williams; remember the name
    - This team has so much young depth that games like this are normal
    - I am seeing some real flashes in Ladarius Green
    - Foz Whittaker looks pretty good, wonder if he's going to make the team beyond his cool name

2. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    Only watched the 1st Qtr. most notable to me was no lapse in getting the play called and lined up which should cut down on the mental mistakes of seasons past, or so I hope. The starters looked decent on the LOS, still need to gel and get a bit tighter but already noticeably better for plain old vanilla. McCoy's system is a breath of fresh air to what I've witnessed since the days of Shotty and Norv, they just might be able to make some noise this year and post notice of things to come.

3. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194 / 3 / -1
    I liked Ryan Mathew's airborne "collarbone check" dive over the line on that 4th and short run.
    Overall? This team should compete. But, we're paper-thin on depth, and injuries will occur to the starters throughout the season. But I have a gut feeling this coaching staff will be able to field a competitive team if the injuries are spread out over the team. (Random example: One starting CB goes down, probably be okay. Two CB, we're in trouble). Some units are a little deeper than others, but we'll need a bit of luck with injuries to be in the hunt at the end of the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. counterpoint

counterpoint BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm with fossil - the depth is scary.

The 1st stringers looked decent, but some of the second string (Whitehurst in particular) were awful, even against their backups. Hopefully they can weed out some of the clunkers in the next weeks.

Yeah, Meachem looked bad, but how much of that was because of the 'hurst? I missed most of the 4th - how was he with Sorenson?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    I don't think Meacham was out there with Sorensen. Both Sorensen and Whitehurst had a lot of pressure (Becton really stunk it up at LT), but Sorensen certainly handled it better.
    Depth will be an issue if there any injuries to the guys who regularly play. ST depth looks thin as well--the 2nd team ST coverage was horrible.
    The starters did okay though. Fluker got burned a couple times in the 2nd quarter, but other than that it looked like a decent start to the preseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,723 / 39 / -8
    Off the top of my head.

Reasons for Optimism...
    Starting OL. (Note this is the first preseason game, just a notch up from an team scrimmage during training season). The starting OL played better than I feared, perhaps not as well as I hoped. Dunlap is a mountain, and Philip had more time than I expected given the size of the Seattle DL, and newness of the San Diego OL.

RM24. (Note this is preseason, and he still has collar bones). He hit some holes I don't think he would have hit last year. His jump over the line was exciting, preseason or not. While he has not answered all questions, he has given reason for cautious optimism that perhaps, while he will never be on the same level as Ole 21, he can be a serviceable starting RB who can help the O work, though not lift it on his back and carry it.

Fozzy Wozzy the RB; (Note he was in there against 2nd and 3rd stringers). I liked what I saw from this shifty RB. He looks like Sproles at times, and had a shoulder weave that is an ingredient for a 'juking the defender out of their jock' moment. He has a lot to prove to get an opportunity to have that moment.

Antonio Gates. Is it me or did he look better running than he has in four years? I have true high hopes for the best TE in the game (that would be gates for those of you who are thinking other names).

Reasons for concern:
    Clipboard Jesus is still on the roster... Need I explain?

Not sold on PR. I am not sure the footsteps are out of his head. Its a new offensive scheme but looks a lot like the old. There was a play where the pocket seemed to be collapsing around PR and it seemed to me his mechanics got a bit sloppy (understandable yes, but that was one play, is it something that will get worse in a game with five, six, ten or more plays? Something to watch for in the last preseason game).

The D and the QB. How many times do we have to suffer with seeing our D running around the QB and not bringing them down? The D needs to be able to stop a flushed QB, be it with a LB, secondary, or the DL figuring out how to take a better angle... I know this is no simple task, and perhaps I am worried about the color of the sky, but hey, I have to see the sky all the time as well.

Receivers... PR is not going to get a lot of help from the wide outs this season. I likes Tasker and Allen, but there were a lot of non crisp routs and drops. This area is my second greatest worry on the season, behind the OL.

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +409 / 8 / -0
    In the words of Clemenza "leave the Whitehurst, take the Sorensen"

Philip always looks awkward but he gets the job done, with time he'll get comfortable with the OL and won´t hear steps anymore

True, but that was Wilson, not many QBs could have gotten away in those situations

While there isn´t a #1 in this group, I think that Floyd, Brown, Allen and Royal are good enough, throw in Gates and you have something there

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    I would have taken Vince Young over Whitehurst. The time to bring in a reliable back up was now with the change in the system. If Rivers goes down then it turns into a bigger joke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    Most of my thoughts have already been covered...

The lack of depth is pretty startling - CBJ looked rough but from my seats it looked like equal parts Oline and his noodle arm. He was getting harassed out there - Sorenson had a better time of it but I think that was more due to Seattle's 3's and 4's being on the field vs. their 2's. That said, I reeeeeally liked what I saw from Sorenson. The game isn't too big for him and he's going to be competition for that #2 spot sooner rather than later imo.

DAN DEPALMA! I just liked yelling his name every time he made a catch. It's fun, you should try it.

Mike Willie, I was hoping to see him in the endzone. No such luck. He made a few nice catches but at least one big drop. Wah wah wah. Keeping my hopes up for this kid though, I like his style.

Meach... ugh between Charlie's badly under-thrown ball and Meachem not going back to the ball we're lucky that wasn't a pick-6. Stupid and unacceptable errors. Not impressed with #12 and I reeeeeally want to be.

Special Teams... yikes.

Tackling... more yikes. WRAP. 'EM. UP! Nothing I hate seeing more than whiff after whiff :p

Overall though, I was content with what I saw. It'll definitely be interesting to see how things shake out in the next couple of games. Hang onto your hats - football is back :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    I'm surprised no one really mentioned Brad Sorenson, never have I seen an UDFA Rookie look so comfortable out there in their first NFL game. I doubt it happens, but if it came down to Sorenson and Whitehurst, I'd put my money on Sorenson.

t's a shame the way Meachem's contract is the way it is, that's the only thing keeping him on the roster right now, even running with the 2's and 3's he still looked like he was over matched.

Sean Cattouse was on every tackle which I liked to see.

ST looked horrendous, luckily this isn't a finished project or else we'd know what our Achilles heel would be.

I'm fearful with the lack of depth in our secondary, or lack of depth overall. If our starters were to go down, we'd be in trouble.

Tourek Williams looked promising, not by any means ready to have a large role or play with the big boys but, I really like the energy he played with.

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    It's way to early to be overly concerned, only two weeks in and this will be the extent of some of these guys NFL career. In the next couple weeks the picture will become more clear as guys settle in and making strides to grab roster spots. I never thought it would be a blockbuster year but just a more positive one than what has transpired the last three years.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,723 / 39 / -8
    I used to make decisions like this based on the first preseason game. Like when I thought Freize was the better starter than Humphries based on preseason play... But in most cases what is displayed in the first preseason game is rarely fact come the first regular season game, in my experience.

Not that I am attacking your idea or thought process. Just stating why I am not talking about him yet. I am cautiously optimistic in regards to him.

13. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,147 / 5 / -0
    I just hope it gets better. I don't have any in-depth analyses like you guys do, so I'm glad to see there's some optimism out there. :)

14. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    What are you talking about? Fluker wasn't even out there for the 2nd quarter, and he didn't get burned once. He only played 2 series with the 1st team.

As far as CBJ, is there a reason why we cant cut him? Sorenson clearly out played him, and I expect Sorenson to be starting with the 2nd team next week. How much cap space would he free up if we cut him?

edit: Also Josh Johnson #36, get him out there! Guy had a muffed punt, and got beat badly by Steve Williams on two huge plays. One that led to a TD, and another for a TD. Guy is a liability on special teams and in the secondary. I'd say he's a sure lock to be part of the first round of cuts.

15. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I don't agree.
    1. the 1st team receivers were only out there for one series, and Rivers went 5 for 6 with them. Really too early to say.
    2. Brown wasn't in the game.
    3. Keenan Allen showed a lot of promise, wish he was a bit faster and was able to get that deepball, but the kid showed great hands and route running. He dropped that one ball that led to an INT, but that was on CBJ. Inaccurate throw.
    4. Edide Royal has looked great in camp.
    5. Most importantly. The receiver core is easily good enough, to where it will make other teams pay for double teaming Gates, meaning Gates should show a lot more production this year.

I'd say the receiving core is good, but the loss of DX and his big play ability is big, with him they would of been better than great.

16. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,867 / 48 / -26
    Woodhead didn't play either, and he could be a factor in giving Rivers another outlet when under pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +212 / 1 / -0
    First drive looked strong.....gotta get in the endzone though. :unsure:

18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,867 / 48 / -26
    We may've found our replacement for Meachem...... ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80 / 1 / -0
    LOL. And the pass was a wobbler !

My take on the game was that I did see PR shuffling his feet a bit more ala Peyton M.
    I also saw him thread some passes into mouse holes that may have just barely went his way.
    I liked the faster pace of the play calling.
    The 3rd string QB looked really poised for his first game in the NFL. (His very first snap in the NFL was in the dirt and he handled it like it was a no problem).
    CBJ was puke stink.
    I'm pretty much feeling the same as most here.
    We are not as deep as some may think.
    A couple of guys go down (as usual) and its scramble time.

I am looking forward to watching what this coaching staff and new young players can do this year.
    Should be fun to watch.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,867 / 48 / -26
    The most important takeaway from the game.......

McCoy reported no injuries. :tup:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    Coach Mike McCoy left the door open for Charlie Whitehurst to lose his backup QB job to seventh-round QB Brad Sorensen.
    "We're giving everyone an opportunity to compete," said McCoy after watching the tape of San Diego's preseason opener. Sorensen completed 7-of-10 throws for 84 yards and a touchdown against the Seahawks, while Whitehurst was terrifically bad, going 7-of-15 for 59 yards and a pair of interceptions. The new Chargers regime has no ties to Whitehurst, a holdover from ex-GM A.J. Smith.

22. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,594 / 48 / -6
    Hey, they're getting there, gotta go one step at a time learn and grow within the new system. It doesn't matter what defense or who started for the Hawks, the 1st. team offense were already noticeably better at getting the play called in and lined up. Pieces that are all trying to gel before the opener and hey, things went well in that perspective with much more work and improvement on the way. I never expected anything over 500 this year, if it happens I'll take it, all the boys in blue and gold are better organized which should eventually lead to better production on the field. Are they playoff bound? can't say, that journey is still being prepared for.

23. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +418 / 7 / -1
    Just thru with watching the game...

Some guys I liked the look of - Shareece Wright, Eddie Royal, Cam Thomas, Dwight Freeney, Johnny Patrick and Brad Sorensen.

Yes looks like we don't have a whole lot of depth esp on the D line which is a big worry. On other side of ball the likes of Dombrowski, Harris and Molk look solid, Dombo looks like a big strong Guard much better inside. I also liked some of Troutman. Starks will not beat out King, no chance. Ohrnberger was v poor (he is not gonna make it) and Schilling not much better. Meachem is a joke. It was good to see Ladarius Green get some playing time.

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21
    I got to watch maybe 10 minutes of the 2nd half, I'll get to watch the whole thing tomorrow.

From what I saw...Whitey sucks, Meachem is a non factor, and Josh Johnson got embarrassed, and of course as expected we have no depth on pass rush. Pretty much all the bad parts of the game is what I saw.

I did see the highlight of Sorenson's TD, good escapability...and L.Green looks bigger.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,867 / 48 / -26
    Green bulked up quite a bit..... if it wasn't for his height, I wouldn't have recognized him. ;)

26. mando-charger

mando-charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    just got to watch the whole game, i really liked the efforts and play by sorenson, whittaker, depalma, catouse, allen and green....

sorenson was really impressive imo, especially for being under pressure the majority of the time. whitehurst was just terrible, i agree that they need to cut ties with him and let sorenson learn from the sideline and back up rivers.

27. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I'm surprised no one else mentioned Sean Cattouse yet. Outside of Sorenson, Cattouse was the player who impressed the most and was easily the best player on defense with 6 tackles.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21

It was 7, and that might only mean he played the longest.

I'm going to watch the full game for the 1st time tonight, I'll definitely keep an eye on him.

29. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0

That's great to hear. One of the knocks on him coming out of college was that he didn't have enough bulk to play TE.

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,215 / 37 / -21

Yeah he was long an lanky coming out, he looked like Malcolm Floyd.

I'd guess he's around 250 now.