1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

In Memory: Jerry Coleman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jan 5, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    We might be a Chargers fan site but we are by and large from and/or live in San Diego. If you spent any time watching or listening to Padres baseball you knew the Colonel. He was the voice of Padres baseball for me, the Vin Scully of the Padres and a man of honor. Baseball isn't the same without the Colonel hanging the star on it, and the voice of his calls for the '84 world series, the 96-98 seasons, and onwards. San Diego lost a gem and he was called to heaven because G-d wanted someone to hang a star on it.

RIP Colonel, you will never be forgotten
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    I went from ecstatic to tears in an instant. Such a wonderful man we've lost today.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
  3. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +165 / 4 / -1
    So sorry to hear this, "The Colonel" will be sorely missed! :cry:
  4. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings Received:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    A real damper on an otherwise fantastic day.

RIP Jerry, you were one of the great ones.
  5. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    We can all hang a star on that game today.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    I'm honestly not sad about Coleman's passing, for one reason: He led a fully realized and complete life.

There's no "what ifs" or "shouldas"…I strongly encourage anyone to read the man's bio…what a splendid life!!
    We should all be happy to experience half as much or be half as successful…and live beyond 89 remarkable years.

As a San Diegan, it sure seems like there were quite a few times when the best thing about our local ball
    team was the announcer. Jerry Coleman routinely "...slid into second with a stand up double." :)

Oddly, whenever I think of Coleman, I remember an embarrassing mistake on my part: After the the '79
    season, when the Padres played their familiar 68-93 brand of semi-baseball, the team announced a new
    manager. Now, I was just a stupid teen, and followed other sports a lot closer than baseball
    (can you blame me? 1969-79 = two Padre 4th place finishes, three 5th place finishes and six 6th place NL West finishes)
    so I heard the announcement as "Gary Coleman..." who was phenomenally well known and popular at the time
    as the tiny 12 year-old kid from the horrible show Diff'rent Strokes. As crazy as that sounded, the real truth was
    only slightly less crazy: In a desperation move the Pads had thrown up their hands and said:
    "What the Hell? Let the announcer try"

Though Coleman's shot only lasted one (6th place, again) season, he was .451,
    definitely better than the Padre's overall winning percentage to that point.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 1 / -0

I remember 1979 very well; I graduated from High school that year and loved the game of baseball. I did not appreciate Jerry back then as he = another losing season for my Pads. Over the years, I grew found of Jerry especially after learning what amazing accomplishments the man had in his life...he may be the only Yankee I will ever like! RIP Jerry!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    Colemanism's! They were a part of his broadcast! I will miss him and his style of broadcasting. Vin Scully and Jerry Coleman two of the greatest baseball play by play announcers that I have had the privilege of listening to.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
  10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,578 / 11 / -0
    I absolutely agree with you, his life was certainly a full one.

I'm sad for us, selfishly because I will miss him, because everyone he's touched will feel the impact of his passing. The world needs more people like the Colonel in it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
  12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575 / 44 / -6
    It's a high fly ball hit deep to the shortstop. There was nothing better than getting home from working setting up my grill and cooler and just taking in the summer nights with Jerry and the Pads. Way to many good times with good people and baseball, it was a way of life for me and I loved every second of it.
  13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +819 / 5 / -0
    It would never be the same kind of broadcast, listening to Jerry for a Padres game, Chick Hearn doing a Lakers game, Vin Scully announcing a Dodgers game, etc. That's the quality of the experience hearing a game on the radio, and that is what will be sorely missed. Jerry Coleman was a man of many accomplishments, and a life truly lived. R.I.P. Colonel.
  14. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +159 / 3 / -0
    I will never forget at 12 yrs old hearing "the one hopper to Nettles, to Wiggins, the PadrEs win it, the Padres win the Pennant!". Or something like that.

It is also insteresting no mention on ESPN, etc about his passing. He served in two wars, won 4 world series, (WS MVP once)called Padres baseball for 40 years (my stats might be slightly off). Anyone else think it odd, or am I a Homer for local sports? Its not like he was Joe Schmo annonouncer for the last 13 years, and that's it...
  15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings Received:
    +1,912 / 4 / -6
    http://atmlb.com/KAAr5J
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,380 / 36 / -16
    Thanks. Great piece by Olbermann…as I said a dozen posts back, anything that lights
    a fire under someone to learn a little bit more about Coleman, is a good thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Blitzy

Blitzy Rainbow Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +255 / 17 / -2
    Love or hate Olbermann's politics, he has a tremendous passion for baseball and he delivered a great and emotional tribute to Mr. Coleman.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1