1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Inception

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ride The Lightning, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    Everyone get ready for the movie of the year. :tup:
  2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,296 / 12 / -5
    You know...I've seen the trailers for this movie several times and I just don't get anything from them. :icon_shrug:

It may very well be the movie of the summer. Or, for the year. But I just haven't seen anything that makes me want to go see it. A lot of hype surrounding it though.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    Nolan will deliver. He has not failed me yet. Trust me, this movie is gonna be mind**** heaven, and it's loaded with A list actors.

For once this year (maybe other than How To Train Your Dragon) the hype will be deserved.

:icon_toast:
  4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings Received:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
  5. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    is gunna be dope as fcuk? Yeah. Prepare to get mindfcuked twice in the same year, Shutter Island and now Inception.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    Leo is on a killing spree.
  7. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    oh man oh man oh man oh man cant wait
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    Totally called it.

:headbang:
  9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings Received:
    +1,011 / 1 / -0
    I mean it was good.... :icon_shrug:

But it's a testament to the pathetic state of Hollywood that this is the best movie of the year.
  10. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0
    I am sorry RTL but I did not like Inception.

This was no Dark Knight for Nolan. Nolan Hit a Home run with Dark Knight but Inception it was a Triple for me.

I did see as well Cats & Dogs: the Revenge of Kitty Galore, I liked it more than Inception.
  11. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +477 / 0 / -0
    That was the first movie in my lifetime that I ever walked out before the show was over - only watched 1 hour of 198 minutes. The only other movie I almost walked out of was something with Robin Williams 'what dreams may ??' or something like that.
    This was a totally DISCONNECTED group of scenes. To me it was like a professor in a drama class would ask all the students to write a 5 min scene and then someone ran them all together.
  12. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    HOW IS THIS EVEN POSSIBLE??? :icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

Either this is the greatest troll post this forum has ever know or, or, or....

[​IMG]
  13. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    About the "disconnected scenes"; Did you even stay long enough to see the part where DiCaprio is telling Ellen Page about "How did we get here?" There was a rhyme and reason to the editing (there ALWAYS is in a Nolan film), to create the illusion or effect of a dream. Here is the dialogue:
    If you would have bothered to stay until the end you might have figured it out, but then again, you did walk out. Which bring me to another point...

Walking out of a movie is without a doubt one of the dumbest things you can do. You paid your money, stay and find out what happens. Are you that ADD that you cant be bothered to sit through another hr and a half? WTF is the point of going to movies if you're not gonna finish them? Would you go to a concert and leave after the first 2 songs? Would you go to a baseball game and leave after the third inning, or leave a football game at halftime?

Again, [​IMG]
  14. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +477 / 0 / -0
    I was born long before there was such a term as ADD.
    I understood what the premise of the plot was.
    To me, the point of going to a movie is to hopefully enjoy it, whether it be comedy, drama, mystery or action.
    I did not like what I saw, therefore, I already wasted my money walking in.
    If you want to really see an intelligent mind operating at full capacity, get/rent the movie Sleuth.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069281/
  15. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    I've seen it before, and I agree was pretty good, but don't even try to slag Chris Nolan like that, as if Inception isn't an intelligent film.

I still don't get your "disconnected group of scenes" argument at all, esp if you don't even bother to stay long enough for the pay off.
  16. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings Received:
    +890 / 0 / -0

I guess that my intelligence is way too limited to enjoy Inception.

This movie from way back is the only one that has the intellect of Inception as an intellectual film is Clockwork Orange. I enjoyed Clockwork Orange as the Intellectual Film of the Day. Clockwork Orange makes you think like Inception does but kind of like the Rocky Horror Picture show can.

On my second thought about Inception is more like Night Watch and Day Watch with the intellectual theme of things. I did though like both Night Watch and Day Watch. Timur Bekmambetov is not Chris Nolan but likes to make Intellectual type of Movies.

My Mind could not wrap around Inception at all. The only thing I got from My Minds perspective is that a person (Leonardo DiCaprio) Cobb can travel inside another persons dreams while they Sleep and try and get secrets from them but in Inception Cobb is trying to put a secret into a persons dream instead of taking it. I just could not wrap my mind around how to take secrets out of a peoples minds or put one in through REM Sleep.
  17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 7 / -2
    I love Clockwork Orange, never seen Night Watch and Day Watch, I'll have to check 'em out. :icon_beerbang:

About the movie INCEPTION

The machine they have (the briefcase) allows multiple people to share dreams.

Here's how EXTRACTION works:

Y = employer
    X = Extractor
    A = Architect
    M = subject

Y hires X to extract information from M. A is the dream architect. A designs the dream world to convince M he is NOT dreaming. As the architect, A creates a "safe/vault", an implied safe spot in the subconscious where the subject M would try to hide any information he did not want known. Basically the locked safe is a metaphor for hiding a secret. The Extractor (X), who is trained how to navigate the dream world, would share a dream with M, would then try to locate the safe and "break into the subconscious" of M and extract the secret information to return it to Y.

A (host) + X + M are all hooked up to the same machine, and are all sharing a dream. A is the "dreamer", or the one who is "hosting" the dream, and is creating the world. X is the extractor, M is the subject/mark. Since A is the one dreaming, or the host, X + M would then populate the dream w/ their respective subconscious. The extractors are trained to navigate through the dream/subconscious of the mark and the dreamworld the architect has designed (and taught to the extractor), like you would navigate through a level in a video game to find the treasure, ect. Find the loot, gtfo out.

INCEPTION is the opposite. W/ inception, X is not STEALING an idea, he is PLANTING one. Arthur (DiCaprio's sidekick) explained to Saito that the problem with inception is that it's too easy for the subject NOT to believe that the idea was their own. If the subject doesn't feel like the idea was generated by the self, the inception will fail. The trick is going deep enough into the subconscious of the subject to plant/suggest the idea so that the subject believe he/she had it themselves.

I always like to break movies down into their simplest of terms; what is inception about? It's the story of Cobb sorting out his **** and getting back to his kids, wrapped up in a heist movie. The only difference between Inception and most regular heist movies is that the heist take place inside shared dreams.

Also, this is a cool chart to explain what happened during the heist:

[​IMG]