1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

...Injury Talk Dominates Monday

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by rexy2006, Dec 30, 2008.

1. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    In the afterglow of Sunday's win, injury talk dominates Monday

Chris Jenkins (Contact)
    Monday, December 29, 2008

Fifteen-plus games into the 16-game regular season, he was finally running the way he'd run in seasons past, running the way he ran to touchdown records and rushing titles and a Most Valuable Player Award. A healthy LaDainian Tomlinson was fully back to LT!

But less than two quarters shy of the playoff berth that almost nobody thought possible a month earlier – the postseason that could make Tomlinson forget the memory of last year's playoffs and AFC Championship Game – he felt a twinge. The kind of twinge that, alas, might invoke painful memories of last year's postseason.

The timing of it all, both the explosiveness shown by Tomlinson on his lengthy bursts against the Denver Broncos and the sight of him on the sideline with a strained groin muscle, were strikingly familiar in the best and worst senses. Having already scored thrice and run for 96 yards on only 14 carries, Tomlinson left the game and the field to investigate the injury further, not to return to play.
    “Little sore today,” Tomlinson said Monday. “But that was expected after a groin injury. It's always worse the day after.”
    The days are shorter this week, too. After playing the last game of the regular season Sunday night, the Chargers drew a Saturday assignment for their first-round playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts at Qualcomm Stadium. The early call on Tomlinson is “probable.”

“I don't think I'll be 100 percent (for the game),” said Tomlinson. “But we'll see what happens, day-to-day, see how it goes.”
    Beyond that, Tomlinson clearly wanted to drop the subject, knowing where it was headed, and not a good place. As deftly as he eluded Broncos tacklers, Tomlinson also wanted to avoid the inevitable references to the knee injury that basically rendered him a non-factor through much of the last postseason and the toe problem that hampered his ability to cut and slash over the early part of this season.

Tomlinson's body language during the conference title game was read more – and interpreted more ways – than most college textbooks. Over the course of a 2008 campaign in which he hasn't been able to continue producing superstar numbers, his movements and facial expressions again have been widely subjected to amateur analysis.

Monday, Tomlinson politely rebuffed the suggestion that he wore the somber look of a guy who got hurt just before the playoffs. To the contrary, he indicated that was just his early game face. A playoff game face at that.

“I think you're just reading a little bit into it,” said Tomlinson. “It's more of a business mindset. It's a new season. We've got a tough game this week. We're playing Saturday. So we've got to be ready to play.”
    Well, put it this way. Tomlinson has one less day to worry about his own readiness. That's one less day, too, that coach Norv Turner must field questions about Tomlinson's availability for this latest Colts matchup.

“It'll be the thing you guys will ask me about most each day,” said Turner, correctly. “I just talked to him and he's a little sore, but I expect him as the week goes on to get better, be able to practice and be ready to play. We'll keep close watch on that.”

More injuries
    Only because of the timing was it also somewhat eerie that the Monday injury list reported by Turner, while largely encouraging, included an ankle sprain that forced tight end Antonio Gates to leave the game and call it an early night. He's also probable for Saturday.
    “(Examination) results came back and it looks good,” said Turner. “He was in getting it treated. It sounds good in terms of (Gates) being ready to go.”
    Gates, of course, was the other Pro Bowl player whose last postseason was pretty much wiped out by a foot injury sustained in the first-round victory over Tennessee. Gates played the next two games, but mostly as a decoy, his right big toe screaming for surgery and making it impossible for him to make his powerful turns and leaps.
    Two starters in the Chargers' vastly improved defense, defensive end Luis Castillo (slight groin strain) and linebacker Shaun Phillips (knee strain) were receiving treatment. Turner also reported progress being made in the recoveries of wide receiver Malcom Floyd (collapsed lung) and linebacker Brandon Siler (foot), both of whom were inactive for Sunday's game and remain questionable for Saturday.

Sweet 16 pick
    The Chargers were the only one of the NFL's five .500 clubs to make the playoffs, so they'll be the last of them in the picking order of next year's draft at No. 16. By losing to the Chargers, Denver got the No. 12 slot. Had the Chargers lost and finished 7-9, they would have picked 12th and a 9-7 Denver team would have been 20th.
    But the Chargers do have the highest pick of any team in the playoffs and can only move down by reaching the Super Bowl, in which case they'd pick next-to-last or last among the 32 teams.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,829 / 0 / -0
    theStar.com

Tomlinson sore, hopes to face Colts TheStar.com - Football - Tomlinson sore, hopes to face Colts
    San Diego's star back suffers groin injury

December 30, 2008
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAN DIEGO–The San Diego Chargers aren't apologizing for winning the awful AFC West with an 8-8 record.
    One thing they need to do, though, is figure out how to do better than the previous eight teams that went into the playoffs with a .500 record since 1985.

Also, star running back LaDainian Tomlinson said a strained groin will have him at less than full strength when the Bolts renew their rivalry with Peyton Manning and the streaking Indianapolis Colts (12-4) in the wild-card round Saturday.

"It's a little sore, but that was expected," Tomlinson said yesterday. "Groin injuries are always worse the day after. I don't think I'll be 100 per cent, but we'll see what happens on Saturday."
    After tumbling to 4-8, the Chargers won four straight, then got help from Denver's three-game collapse to make the playoffs.

"Not ideal, but we'll take it," Tomlinson said. "But it's good to be in this position, no doubt, to say that you're division champs again, to be going to the playoffs and hosting a playoff game. That's a great feeling for us."

Not so great is his health.
    Tomlinson had his first three-touchdown game of the season and ran for 96 yards in San Diego's 52-21 rout of the Broncos on Sunday night that clinched the Chargers' third straight AFC West title. He said he could feel something as the game developed, and the muscle grabbed "real bad" on a one-yard run with four minutes left in the third quarter. He didn't play again.

The Colts have won nine straight while Manning is having an MVP-calibre season. This will be the sixth game between the teams in five seasons, and the second straight year they've met in the playoffs.

The Chargers upset the defending Super Bowl champion Colts 28-24 in the divisional round last season in Indianapolis.

The Chargers are the first team to go from 4-8 to the playoffs. They went 0-5 against teams that have reached the playoffs, including the Colts.

San Diego joins the 1985 Cleveland Browns as the only teams to win division titles at 8-8. Seven teams have clinched wild-card spots at 8-8. Overall, the eight previous teams that went into the playoffs at .500 went 2-8, with the wild-card Vikings and Rams each winning a game in 2004.
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    First... Norv mindfu.cks Charger fans all season long...

Next... Norv Mindfu.cks Colts fans into the post-season.

Dude is an alien. I'm tellin' ya'
    • Like Like x 1
  4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    Is it time to realize that today's LT at 90% is NOT better than a healthy Sproles?

If there is any question then put Darren in there and make glue out of another horse shiit team

:tup::tup::tup:
  5. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,132 / 4 / -0
    ITA.

I love LT, don't get me wrong, but if he's less than 100% I'd rather see Sproles in there. This kid is good, and he has the potential to be great, but the only way to become that way is to play and win games. Let him do what he does best, and let LT heal completely.........this is not the time to be stupid.:no:
  6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    I think it was a ruse, the game was well in hand, both LT and Gates hit the bench, Hmmmmmmm. :bolt:
  7. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings Received:
    +1,558 / 11 / -0
    Honestly... I doubt either are hurt as badly as everyone wants to believe. There was no reason for LT or Gates to go out there after a couple dings - the game was in hand and it gave others more playing time.

Sproles is a stud - whether LT is injured or not I love seeing him in the mix. I really enjoyed watching Hester out there - he has some power in him and Tolbert got to get some work in after being sidelined with the shoulder injury. Let's not start jumping to conclusions like the media. It's only Tuesday and it's only a couple of sprains.
  8. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 0 / -0
    You pimping Sproles? :icon_eek:

:icon_rofl:
  9. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0

WHERE THE HELL YOU BEEN D-BAG??

I MISS YA !!!!

:icon_toast::icon_toast:
  10. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +820 / 0 / -0

Here there and everwhere.

Mini-Me you complete me. :lol:
  11. wrbanwal

Ratings Received:
    +1,036 / 0 / -0
    :lol:

HAPPY NEW YEAR YOU *** HAT

:icon_toast::icon_toast:
  12. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings Received:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    Norv said they could both go back into the game. On Monday it changes into the standard "we'll keep an eye on it." This could be the Chargers trying to get the Colts to get comfortable. Go ahead and take "contain LT" out of the game plan and then WHAM! LT goes in and runs all over them. Most likely, this is my wishful thinking...
  13. henryqjr2001

henryqjr2001 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I think it is a ploy also. We have a good chance here:bolt:
  14. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    ploy or not i think our d is gonna need to play their best game of the year if we're to prevail.
    the o is gonna need to help out with time of possesion for this to occur IMO, and that means run.
    captain obivous signing off now.
  15. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings Received:
    +942 / 0 / -0

Gates was on the table (not the bench) talking with the trainer/doctor testing the limits of his ankle. He was hurt. LT? I have no idea, but, I doubt it is a ruse? If it is we're talking academy award.
  16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Hey Conc - we gonna let him get away with this ****? :lol: