1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Is Lane Johnson running from Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    INDIANAPOLIS — Lane Johnson was overall impressive in interviews with 14 teams.
    He outlasted the other top tackles on the bench press, and he did it with longer arms.

He showed a 34-inch vertical, a 9-foot-10 broad jump. And then, stride by stride, sprinting down the sideline Saturday of a domed Lucas Oil Stadium, the 6-foot-6 former tight end clocked the fastest 10-yard split by an offensive lineman in the 40-yard dash.

Put it all together, and might Johnson be running away from the Chargers' reach at pick 11?

The ex-Oklahoma tackle hopped on an airplane Saturday and left Indiana after seeming to have strengthened his case to be a top-10 pick two months from Monday. His showing follows a Senior Bowl performance last month that improved his draft stock as well.

The Chargers were among the first teams to interview Johnson.

Kansas City spoke with him Thursday night as well. Two other teams in the top 10 — the Eagles at pick 4 and Browns at pick 6 — met with him Friday. A team like the Cardinals, who choose seventh, are more in the tackle market than Cleveland, which has Joe Thomas and a developing Mitchell Schwartz.

Johnson has played only one season at left tackle.

He worked on the right side his junior year after experimenting at tight end and defensive end upon joining the Sooners. He was a junior college quarterback before the transfer.
    The combination of athleticism and experience level hint at untapped upside.

"I feel right at home now," said Johnson, who measured at 6-foot-6 and 303 pounds. "I’ve kind of grown into my body. I’ve kind of got the mental aspect of, 'I’m going to be like this for the next 10 or 12 years.' It fits perfect now."

The Chargers appear bound to have a high-quality offensive line prospect available to them at No. 11.

Luke Joeckel, of Texas A&M, and Eric Fisher, of Central Michigan, entered this week with Johnson as the consensus top tackles in the draft.

Joeckel has been projected to go as high as the first pick to the Chiefs with Fisher also poised to land in the top 10.

Johnson did what he could to join them in that range.

He ran the 40-yard dash like a tight end, timing at 4.72 seconds. He reached 10 yards in 1.61 seconds, the best burst among offensive linemen. His total time, for what straight-line speed is worth to a player at his position, ranked second at his position behind Arkansas-Pine Bluff's Terron Armstead (4.71 seconds)

Johnson totaled 28 reps on the 225-pound bench press, one more than Fisher and Joeckel.

At guard, either Alabama's Chance Warmack or North Carolina's Jonathan Cooper would project as an immediate starter on the Chargers' line.

Left guard Tyronne Green and right guard Louis Vasquez are set to become unrestricted free agents March 12. Vasquez is more likely than Green to re-sign as a starter, but no deal is imminent at this time.

Many analysts have called Warmack the best player in the draft.

Cooper is more likely to be available when the Chargers are on the clock. He finished second among offensive linemen with 35 bench-press reps and has a versatile background.

"We had a few gap schemes and zone-blocking schemes," Cooper said of the Tarheels. "Prior to my senior season we were a big power team, and even this year we had multiple power plays. I feel comfortable in a zone scheme, a power scheme, whatever they ask of me I feel I can do it and do it well."

1 Kansas City 2 Jacksonville 3 Oakland 4 Philadelphia 5 Detroit ... 6 Cleveland ... 7 Arizona ... 8 Buffalo ... 9 New York Jets ... 10 Tennessee
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    If Warmack really is the "best player in the draft", then the Chargers would be dumb to pass him up for the 3rd or 4th rated tackle....... that's my two cents. ;)
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    If anyone is to blame for us missing out on a starting LT in 2013, it'll be Pittsburgh for laying an egg in their own house a couple months ago.
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    Good thing he's not then.;)

No really we should take Warmack. And watch Dumervile and Miller tar, feather, and lynch Rivers for a 3rd year in a row.;) #FuckTheBlindSide

;););)
  5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    [​IMG]
  6. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    Did you watch any of the games, Matty? ;)

We got a ton of pressure up the middle, so Rivers couldn't even step up to avoid the sack. The guard play was as much a problem as the tackle positions.

I can't believe I'm the only person to notice that both positions are in serious need of an upgrade.
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    Yes.;) And I ;) agree guard ;) is a problem.;) But any blow hard Mel ;) Kiper wannabe knows ;) its easier to find ;) guards than starting ;) left tackles. ;)
  8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    Both are a major issue I agree, I would love to have Warmack but Im not necessarily banging the table on him as much as I am the "Big 3" only for that reason there are 3 maybe 4 kids in this draft that can most likely come in and be day 1 starters at LT (Watson and Armstead being the others) while there are dozens of prospects that can be had day 2 or 3 at guard with similar great upside

Warford, Bailey, Pugh, Long, Quessenberry, Painter to name a few
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    I wouldn't bet on Watson either, he played RT in college. Its a thin LT class thanks to Lewan and Matthews returning to school...not that I was over the moon about either of them.

Also Armstead comes from a high school sized college.
  10. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    So, you don't believe in BPA?....... I'm shocked. :eek:

You'd rather reach on a tackle, than take a dominant guard? ;)
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    Reach? No.

Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson are all very worthy of being picked 11th overall. And it ends there for left tackles. If all 3 are gone I'd look to OLB/DE, CB, or trading back before settling on Warmack.
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    I think fans may be underestimating the impact that the loss of Dielman had on our O-line. Losing him was as big a deal as the left tackle debacle.

What I don't want the team to do, is reach on a player if there's a run at the position just because it's a need. You have to stick to your grades and take the best player available, even if it's not your greatest need. Drafting strictly for need will get in you in trouble.
  13. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    That's fine, I just happen to disagree....... surprised? ;)
  14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    And I think a bigger deal was having a rookie free agent and a Raiders practice squad player starting 12 of 16 games at left tackle....but that's just me.;)

Green may have failed, but consider that Vasquez was a 3rd round pick, Dielman himself was a UDFA, that Jhari Evans, Carl Nicks, Marshall Yanda etc... none were 1st round picks. Hell I'd be happy if we'd passed on stupid Jonas Mouton for William Rackley a few years ago...a guy nobody knows, but is a solid guard. Point is you can find them anywhere.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    Not in the slightest.:coffee:
  16. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    I think Harris would've had a much easier time of it with Dielman at his side. He sure as hell helped McNeill over the years. I think McNeill was seriously overrated. Other than his rookie season, he wasn't that great.

The drop off from Dielman to Green was huge. Conversely, when Gaither was actually healthy and playing, he made Green look a lot better than he really is. My point is that whether it's a tackle or a guard, you take the best guy available. Either one can make a big difference to the guy next to him...... and the line as a whole.
  17. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,574 / 42 / -25
    You're drooling again. ;)
  18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +813 / 14 / -3
    I am questioning what position that we will draft after listening to Tommy Telescope.

"We can't pass a good player just to take a guy at a need position"

Did you hear this interview? http://bcove.me/4iwmtfur

At Indy they didn't need a WR but they drafted Reggie Wayne from "The U" (1st round). They didn't need a TE but they drafted Dallas Clark (1st round).

This could of course be a big smoke screen. If not it will make for an interesting draft and Telescope tenure.
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    What Telesco also failed to mention was both picks were picks were in the late part of the round, They were already at the top of their division, they could afford to make a pick for luxury.

Again I see
    OT, OG,TE,RB WR (maybe even more than one position at some of these)

He mentions we need to get better protecting the QB, and that includes O line, tight ends, WR's RB's

both TT and MM have said "Rivers is our franchise" like what TT experienced Griggson doing with luck 8 out of 10 picks went to giving Luck some offensive toys
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 15 / -1
    And when put up against the top pass-rushers from this draft class in the Senior Bowl and Shrine games he more than held his own in practices and in the games. The guy got D1 scholarship offers, he just elected to go to a D1AA school.
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    And therefore played against D1AA talent...

Just sayin it's a big step for a rookie.
  22. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    if our left side looks like the following, I'll be very happy..

LT: Lane Johnson LG: Larry Warford/Johnnie Troutman
    LT: Dallas Thomas/Terron Armstead LG: Chance Warmack/Jonathan Cooper

If we are re-signing Louis Vasquez, and interior O-line with Troutman/Vasquez or Warmack/Vasquez will for sure be the power-zone-blocking system, with a lot of pop. And the interior O-line would be incredible if it includes Warmack/Vasquez.

I also like Menelik Watson.. We sure do have options.
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    I actually like Bailey or Watford over Warford. I would also welcome Long
  24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +661 / 17 / -2
    Just a little run down
    Lane Johnson ran faster than Anquan Boldin, his vert was high as AJ green and did the broad jump as far as Steven Ridley

I know we're not going to ask him to really run jump for us but it just shows how athletic this kid is, and also shows how explosive he can be.

Also his 4.72 would be equivalent to a wr or rb running a 4.1
  25. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +425 / 2 / -1
    Here's hoping to 2 or 3 QB's going in the top 10 so we have all kinds of choices at 11.
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    • Kansas City is going to go offensive tackle at the #1 spot. It will be Luke Joeckel too. Which means Brandon Albert is gone, and they will land Alex Smith.
    • Jacksonville I believe will go defensive end, whether its Bjoern Werner or Damontre Moore, it will be one of them for sure.
    • Oakland is a real mystery. They need an upgrade at right tackle, but again I see another defensive end going, seeing how they only sacked the QB 25 times last year. So either Bjoern Werner or Damontre Moore. They might even go defensive tackle seeing how Tommy Kelly and/or Richard Seymour will be cut.
    • Philadelphia is all over the place right now. Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie won't be back, and they've given Nhamdi Asomugha an ultimatum, they could go corner at #4 with Dee Milliner. But there safeties absolutely sucked too, which could have them trade back a few spots and select Kenny Vaccaro. I can also see them going defensive end as well. I really can't see Philly going offensive tackle with Luke Joeckel off the board.
    • Detroit will go BPA, and I think the best fit for them will be Barkevious Mingo or Jarvis Jones. They'll need a defensive end for sure with no Kyle Vanden Bosch and Cliff Avril hitting the market.
    • Cleveland will go either Barkevious Mingo or Jarvis Jones as well. Whoever is there, it will fit the need for them. I could see them reaching for Ezekiel Ansah too.
    • Arizona, I honestly believe will go QB. I think they have too much invested in Levi Brown at this time, and they will draft an offensive tackle in the 2nd/3rd round. I heard they are very high on Matt Barkley at this time, and he will most likely throw a pretty damn good pro day, since he will be 100 % and be in a comfortable place with receivers he has chemistry with. I think Arizona goes QB and shocks everybody.
    • Buffalo is probably the happiest of teams that Geno Smith just fell in their laps. They get their "franchise" QB they want to build around from this draft.
    • NYJ no doubt about it will go defensive end. They have nobody who can get to the QB, and just cut Calvin Pace. It will be either Ezekiel Ansah or Dion Jordan.
    • Tennessee could go pass rusher as well, either Ansah, Mingo or Jordan. But I think they'll gladly take Chance Warmack at 10.
    • San Diego on the clock at #11. Do we select Eric Fisher? Or can we afford to trade back, gain a 2nd rounder and still draft Lane Johnson? I really can't see Eric Fisher falling to 11, and can't see Johnson going past 18.
  27. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 7 / -1
    I love the Guards Warmack and Cooper. Pure beasts.
  28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    I think Arizona's interest in Barkley is smoke screen, they are probably praying Buffalo doesn't jump them to take Geno Smith.

Also I bet KC has been working their *** off to try to trade out of that #1 pick, the difference between Joeckel, Fisher, and Johnson is minuscule.
  29. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    You think so? I don't think Arians will have the patience to handle Kevin Kolb or John Skeleton. Both are terrible, and they'll be wasting Larry Fitzgerald's talents, and Michael Floyd who I think could of had a better year with a decent QB.

And yeah, I was thinking the same on KC. I just heard they were high on Luke Joeckel.
  30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,014 / 33 / -20
    No, I only said I believe they want Geno Smith. That doesn't mean they won't take Barkley at 7, if Geno doesn't fall to them....or (and you heard it here first) EJ Manuel.

They may trade back first, but I would not be shocked to see EJ Manuel go in the top 15.