1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Is Lane Johnson running from Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolts4lyfe, Feb 23, 2013.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +529 / 13 / -3
    Ah yes, If Geno Smith is available at 7 to the Cardinals, I think they take him. I saw some mocks with Matt Barkley going to the NYJ :roflmao: I just don't think USC QB's translate well to the NFL for some reason.

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +938 / 15 / -1
    That's because the last several have "struggled". But (and mind you this is coming from someone who hates USC) Leinart actually was looking quite productive for Arizona before Whis got the hair up his butt that he didn't want Leinart as his starter because he couldn't go deep as often as he wanted to, so he released him in favor of lesser performing Derek Anderson. Sanchez is bad, but should have been expected to be so - given how quickly Pete bailed on the program when they rumblings of incoming sanctions swelled, it's safe to say he was fairly in tune with the goings on. And when a college coach comes out and says as much that a player "isn't ready" for the NFL, that should be a resounding indictment the guy isn't. But what people are a little too quick to forget/write off is that before his elbow injury Carson Palmer was pretty much entrenched as a Top 5 QB, even after he came back from that nasty injury from the Kimo vonOlhoefen steamrolling - you can't hold a career wrecked by injuries against a program.

I'll be the first to admit there's a "arguably-earned" bias against Trojan QB's among NFL scouts - earned in the sense that they're knocked for coming into the league already with the mindset that they're "a star" because they've been worshiped as the pinnacle of the closest thing to a professional football program one of the largest media markets in America has had for almost 20 years. It is what it is - and it doesn't help that the majority of these kids are coming out of private schools and have been "groomed" to be USC/pro QB's since their preteens (I mean dear God, USC's has a kid right now that they've had scholarshipped since the age of 14 and he's still only currently in his sophomore year of high school). It's also worth pointing out that whereas certain programs have near free reign within their states to grab the best prospects, regardless of where in the state the hotbed high schools for that particular position are (Texas, Tennessee, UF, Alabama, Georgia, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan), the hotbed in California for QB prospects for some time has been in the north and with two strong programs up there in Stanford and Cal, SC doesn't exactly have the easiest time prying those NorCal kids (who grow up with a bias towards disliking Southern California and USC) to come play premier positions for them.

• Like Like x 1