1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

It’s a Powder Blue Playoff weekend

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Dec 31, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    http://www.chargers.com/news/press-releases/press-release-20081231.php

Wednesday, Dec 31, 2008

The San Diego Chargers announced today they will wear their unique Powder Blue alternate uniforms in the AFC Wild Card Playoff Game against the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday, Jan. 3.

The announcement was unexpected because after the team last wore the uniforms in the game against the Oakland Raiders on Thursday night, Dec. 4, the jerseys were sent to the National Football League office in New York where they were to be auctioned off for charity on NFL.com.

“It took some doing, but we were able to get the jerseys back just before they hit the auction site,” said A.G. Spanos, the Chargers’ executive vice president & executive officer. “We hope by wearing these special alternate uniforms, it will help generate added excitement for both our players as well as our fans and give us an even stronger home-field advantage.”

After the game, the team plans to return the jerseys to the League where they will be auctioned off on NFL.com to benefit Chargers Charities and Chargers Champions, their education and fitness community initiative.

The team hopes that Charger fans will catch the excitement and help fill Qualcomm Stadium with Charger colors.

Spanos added: “We hope everyone coming to the game will wear their Charger colors, cheer the team on and come away with great memories to last a lifetime.”

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Nice. :yes: :abq1:

3. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    night game and powder blues? our guys play extra hard in both!

4. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +287 / 1 / -0
    SWEET!!!:abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    AWESOME!!! When was the last time a team wore their alternate jerseys in the Playoffs?
    What I like best abouth this is those are kind of throwback uniforms too. Nice, remember we are the beast in powder blue boys. Give em hell!

6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +833 / 22 / -1
    What's "unique" about them? Every team in the NFL has an alternate.

7. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    If we play Baltimore in the AFC Championship game we should wear them. If we win and have to face Atlanta in Tampa we should wear them. I love the powder blues.

8. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    The powder blues are sweet, but I still like the throwback style better.

Now the current dark blues, they look bad ***.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 19 / -4
  10. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully they are handing out the rally towels this year and not those stupid pom poms they've been handing out the past couple of years. There is just something about a whole stadium waving towels that just ratchets up the crowd intensity a notch or two.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,304 / 12 / -5
  12. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703 / 0 / -0
    WAY COOL! :tup:

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,632 / 11 / -0
    i dont know if they are handing out rally towels BUT you can buy them at 7-11 stores across San Diego county :) spread the word!

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +3,822 / 39 / -8
    Kick *** in the new THROWBACK powder blues!

Or alternates if your are a curmudgeon! :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +833 / 22 / -1
    I am a curmudgeon.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542 / 0 / -0
    I used to hate those uniforms but now I like them (for a game or two each season). Though I still prefer the Navys, the new powder blues are awesome!!! :yes:

Slightly off subject but what would any of you think and doing a game in the Royal Blue throwbacks from the Fouts era?
    I think they should do one preseason game in them next season and see how that pans out.

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,559 / 7 / -2
    Hell yes! those are my favorite Charger unis ever.

[​IMG]

18. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    The powder blue boys will do proud against the Colts.:bolt:

19. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    God I HATE those powder blue unis :tdown:

But at least we win wearing those unis :tup:

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    7 straight I believe.

21. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942 / 0 / -0
    Correct.

Powder blues to get an encore
    Chris Jenkins

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ever send out a dress or dress shirt, suddenly need it desperately for that special occasion and remember too late that it's at the cleaners?

The Chargers sort of did that with their spiffy powder-blue jerseys, but after scrambling around like Jeff Garcia or Tyler Thigpen, the team was able to recover the “alternate” uniforms in time to wear them Saturday against the Indianapolis Colts in the AFC wild-card playoff game at Qualcomm Stadium.

Long among the NFL's more popular uniforms, the powder blues were worn in the Chargers' prime-time victory over the Oakland Raiders on Dec. 4, then shipped (unlaundered, incidentally) to the league office to be auctioned off for charity.

Teams are allowed to wear their alternate uniforms once during the playoffs, but the Chargers never have, and it was decided before last week's postseason-clinching win over the Denver Broncos that the first playoff game would be the perfect event for it.

“Our equipment manager came to me last week and asked if I thought we could get them back,” said A.G. Spanos, the team's executive officer. “It was tough, because last week was short with the holiday. I left about a half-dozen messages before I finally got a call back and was able to talk to someone and explain the situation. We were going to have them overnighted, contingent on winning.”

Fortunately for the Chargers, the uniforms still were going through the preparation for public presentation at auction. No bidding had begun.

“We were lucky,” Spanos said. “They were just about to go live on the auction. It was good timing.”

Players generally were happy to hear they'd be adorned in the powder-blues, primarily because they've done extremely well in them. The Chargers have won seven straight and eight of the past nine when wearing the lighter blue.

Besides, in the words of running back LaDainian Tomlinson, “We're gonna look sweet.”

• Like Like x 1
  22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4

Thanks, sdb. :tup:

Another streak to continue. :abq1: :abq2: :abq1:

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,822 / 39 / -8
    O M G !!!

Did you just agree with B4l?

RUN FER THA HILLS BOYS! ITS THE FINAL SIGN OF ARMAGEDDON!!!!

:icon_tease: :lol: :icon_rofl: :lol: :icon_tease:

24. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +833 / 22 / -1
    How can they be "long among the NFL's more popular uniforms" when we have only had the gay version of the powder blues for two seasons? This guy must also be confused about the difference between what we now have and what we used to have.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,822 / 39 / -8
    For the same reason I tell you over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

The throwbacks have ALWAYS CHANGED! They are still considered throwbacks regardless of if you like the fact or not.

Ergo, "long among the NFL's more popular uniforms". Your dislike for them does not change the empirical facts!:lol:

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Damn - Conc is on. He spelled empirical correctly. :icon_eek:

27. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +833 / 22 / -1
    But they have always been representations of the 60's powder blues, even if they weren't exactly the same, they were pretty much the same. Much like the throwback unis worn by the Eagles, they aren't the same but they pay tribute to the old unis. The current powder blues are not throwbacks in an way shape or form. They are merely powder blue versions of the current unis, and are thus only alternates.

I loved the old powder blues. The classic look, the font with a goalpost as the H, everything about them. So it bugs me when people try to pretend like the owner's retarded grandson didn't kill those. Just because the current gay powder blues are the same color, they aren't the throwbacks.

The sooner you come to grips with this, the sooner we can stop arguing about it. :lol:

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,822 / 39 / -8
    :trout: :trout: :trout:

I even spelt trout right four times!:icon_evil: :lol:

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +3,822 / 39 / -8
    And the ones today are a representation of the same uniform. Same colors same over all look. So the lightning bolt does not go up over the shoulder. So the numbers are gone from the helmet. Small issues.

We get it, you don't like them, the changes are not so astronomical that the rest of the world separates them from what they are. The current CHARGERS THROWBACK UNIFORMS.

Call it what you will to feel some level of comfort with them. Irregardless the facts remains the same.

Sorry, I don't know how else to put it. You are the only person differentiating between throwback versions.

30. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +833 / 22 / -1
    The number font is different, the bolt on the sleeve is different, the bolt on the leg is different, the helmet is different. There is no number on the helmet. Other than all of that, they are exactly the same. I guess what you are saying is that ANY unis with powder blue and bolts are throwback unis?

We don't currently have throwbacks anymore, why are you so confused? And why do you feel compelled to defend them as throwbacks instead of just calling them alternates as they truly are? Are you really A.G. Spanos?