1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jackson says he'll likely sign this week

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Jul 18, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings Received:
    +250 / 1 / -0
    <strong>July 18, 2005</strong>
    Source: <a href="http://www.greeleytrib.com/article/20050718/SPORTS/107180051">Greenley Tribune</a>

GREELEY -- Vincent Jackson is becoming a hot ticket.

In San Diego, Calif., Jackson's mug is easily recognizable. In Colorado Springs, he's hard not to notice.

On ebay, the Web site auction, the bidding has already started.

"Wow," said Jackson, spending a few days with his parents in Colorado Springs. "I haven't look at ebay yet.

"I know I've been doing some functions around here and in San Diego, so most of that kind of goes with the territory. I'll have to get on ebay and check it out."

Jackson items range from a signed plaque for $18.00 to trading cards for just $1.

"If somebody has some things they can make money on at ebay, then that's fine," he said. "As long as they make a profit."

Jackson, the former University of Northern Colorado wide receiver, was drafted in the second round by the San Diego Chargers, hopes to cash in this week.

"I anticipate signing this week," Jackson said. "It should all get done this week because we start the 25th of July.

"There isn't anything that's holding it up -- pretty much standard negotiations. You trade numbers back and forth, and some of the negotiating is on what they call escalators, or incentives. I really feel like I'm going to play a lot this year."

Jackson's agent, Neil Schwartz, of New York, explained that Jackson should expect an excess of $1 million, including a signing bonus, after he was selected as the 61st pick overall.

Jackson will report with the Chargers' rookies to the team's training camp at Charger Park in

San Diego on July 25th. Veteran players are expected to report on July 29th. Camp will run through Aug. 24th.

Jackson has already participated in two team mini-camps and attended numerous team functions, including the Rookie Symposium and the Chargers' Offseason Coaching Sessions.

Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer has called Jackson a terrific athlete, but explains that he's a long way from understanding the tempo of the National Football League.

"Everybody is a little faster, and the intensity of everything is pretty high," Jackson said. "They expect you to pick things up a lot faster too."

Jackson, a 6-foot-5, 241-pounder, hasn't experienced any unexpected scenarios since being drafted, but knows that he'll be watched closely in training camp.

"Being a drafted rookie, they watch everything a little more," he said. "I know I'm going to have to perform at an even higher level. Training camp is where you start earning your pay check."

Jackson has had the benefit of learning from wide receiver coach James Lofton, a Hall of Famer, and 14-year veteran Keenan McCardell.

"I'm lucky to have both of them," Jackson said. "They see the little things that can make a big difference. I feel more comfortable with the entire situation than at first.

"I'm continuing to find my way, and I feel pretty confident with the organization."

Jackson will make the move to San Diego this week, hoping to settle in and be ready when camp opens.

"I've got me a little place, so I'm going to go early, get prepared and be fresh and ready to go," he said. "I feel really accepted in San Diego, and I want to continue that."