1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jacob Hester's very first thread as a Charger

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Electric Chair, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    Guys, here is his scouting report from NFLDraftScout.com (I can't copy/paste it cuz it's copyrighted so I had to use paint). Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was in the draft thread but I thought that it deserved it's own so that we could continue the argument about the pick away from the rest of the draft discussion. :icon_toast:

2. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for posting this. I like what I read. This is a fine pick.

• Like Like x 1
  3. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Read the "Negatives" section.

Hester may not translate to the NFL, and even if he does A.J. gave up too much to get him.

4. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    This is almost exactly like Eric Weddle last year, and that worked out alot better than many thought. It was obvious that AJ marked this kid as a "must have" ala Weddle, so he did what he had to do to get him. We gave up what will be pick #64 and a fifth (of which we have an extra) for #69, and we get a player that helps us win NOW.

You are probably one of the people that constantly complain that AJ doesn't sign "BIG NAME" FA's as well. :lol:

I will trust AJ's talent evaluation and draft acumen over a complete strangers any day of the week. His track record speaks for itself. You on the other hand have no track record unless it's under a different user name or at a different forum.

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,171 / 0 / -0
    Dude, are you gonna go all over this board taking a **** on this pick?? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh:

6. B5Erik

B5Erik BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Bobby Beathard got the Chargers to a Super Bowl. How did he do after he initially put that team together? I was under the impression that he became the biggest draft day idiot in history once he got the Bolts to the big game.

Fans trusted him a lot more than his detractors as well - for a while.

How many Super Bowls has A.J. gotten this team to? Has he even gotten to the Beathard level yet? (And don't forget, Beathard did oversee the creation of TWO Super Bowl Champions in Washington - and he STILL went on to become the worst draft day GM in history over a 5 or 6 year span until his tenure with the Chargers finally, mercifully, ended.)

Don't drink the Kool-aid. No one's above criticism.

7. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    Beathard couldn't adapt to the modern game. His scouting prowess became worthless with the advent of things like the combine and developments in television technology that stopped allowing players from small schools to slip through the cracks. He compensated for this by taking HUGE reaches on players from schools that people never even heard of. He also was clueless about the salary cap, something that AJ has proven to be the best in the league at (along with identifying talent).

You never answered the question earlier, how many LSU games have you watched over the last few years?

Ah yes, and finally... "how many super bowls" arguments work wonders in proving a point. These were made famous by Raider Fans around the world in arguing about their pathetic record over the last 5 seasons. It always ends with "How many Super Bowls..."

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    He sounds AJ like all the way and I'm sure his versatility was a big seller for AJ as well since he seems, as of late, to like guys who can play all over the place (Weddle, Naane, Oliver, etc). While I still wonder if he'll be worth that much, he's sounds solid.

I assume he'd immediately be the backup RB? Or where would he fill in right away?

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I think he'll be a backup rb/fb. The pass to the fb in the flats shouldn't be such a horrendous play anymore. :tup:

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0

All over the place. He's an immediate starter on special teams, and he'll play FB and HB when needed. It will be interesting to see what the runningback roster looks like going into the season. Pinnock is coming off of microfracture surgery, so we don't know what his status will be. I like the combo of LT, Hester, and Sproles, but if Pinnock is out of the lineup, we'll probably keep another running back in the mix. I personally think that it's a great pick, and he'll definitely fit in the offense as another diverse weapon. Those little passes in the flat to the fullback might work a little better now:icon_eek:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,478 / 19 / -4
    lol yeah no kidding, both he and manumaleuna could have field days being forgotten players in this team brimming with weapons. I admit i'm liking the pick more but still giving up a second for next year irks me

12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    The second will only be a few picks higher than the 3rd we got. Yea it's a 2nd, but we had to trade it to get that pick.

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +611 / 0 / -0
    I have no problem with the pick or the cost of trading up to get him. Just like I had no problem with the Weddle pick last year.

Welcome to the Bolts, Jacob Hester. :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  14. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
  15. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    All of them including every 29 Hester played in.

Folks can read the negatives all day long, what player out there does not have a negativce column? Same goes for AJ, show the list of those who have gone without mistake. Really the majority of the NFL is envious of the position the bolts are now in with depth and longivity.

Hester, my man love plug for this day is this: Hester always exceeds his expectations including the high ones. AJ was not wrong in this pick and the proof is beginning to stir already. He did not have a half-*** mini camp.

What everyone needs to do is run out and get yourself a brand new number 22 jersey and put that purchase in the bank. Mine will be autographed. With that I am your newest Bolt fan :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Maybe some of you nay-sayers & bargain hunters should listen to a guy who's seen Hester on the field in person.

Thanks for the post, CLC. :tup:

17. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +323 / 1 / -0
    For anyone doubting the pick of Jacob Hester, understand that this is a scheme pick.....He fits Norvs system perfectly Norv already said he is going to use a singleback set most of the time.. He is a Fullback hybrid who can get short yardage but also take a swing pass out of the back field and break it. An element LONEAL couldnt give us.

18. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    You are right my friend. I cringed every time LoNeal went out for a screen pass. On the plus side though, if LoNeal actually caught it, it was fun to watch him look for someone to hit.

19. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0

Between this very astute and concise point, and EC's straight forward breakdown of the "cost" of the trade up, this pick was a STEAL by AJ Smith.

Watch some of the vids of Hester floating around the net. He isn't spectacular, but he gets the job done everytime he touches the ball.

20. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Only time will tell I for one will keep a close eye on Jamaal Charles RB TEXAS who went 4 picks later to the Chiefs.

From ESPN
    What he brings: He isn't a power back who will push the pile in short-yardage situations, and he's not big enough to anchor in pass protection, either. However, he's very explosive, can make defenders miss in the open field and he can go the distance when he hits the seam. In addition, he flashes a strong stiff-arm when he gets into space.
    How he fits: This is a great pick by the Chiefs. Larry Johnson had some injury concerns last year and Charles can come in and spell him. The league has become two-back reliant and Charles will be a good complement to Johnson.

ESPN Hester
    69. San Diego Chargers
    The pick: Jacob Hester, RB, LSU
    What he brings: Hester is a bit of a reach because he doesn't have elite skills. He lacks ideal size, speed and athleticism. Hester, however, is a far better football player than athlete. He runs very hard between the tackles, does a good job getting in position as a blocker and is a reliable receiver out of the backfield.
    How he fits: This is another solid pick by A.J. Smith. Since FB Lorenzo Neal is no longer there, he can fill their need along with Andrew Pinnock. Hester is a very good football player, but he is not going to be a pounder like Neal or Pinnock. Still, he understands angles and can adjust to moving targets as a fullback out of the backfield. He is also a good receiver out of the backfield and a short-yardage runner.

----------------

I see Hester as more of a H-back in this offense however I also thought Naanee , Chandler , Pinock and Brandon Manumaleuna all fit that role. Hester has his fans and I hope he turns out to be a real ST star. I don't think he will ever be a starting tail back in the N.F.L. if he starts I say the Chargers are in real trouble.

I understand that I should not be posting here based on what my "contributions are" but hey this is a football forum aren't we suppose to debate football????

I guess I did not get all of my mock picks right so......I understand Sports Illustrated correctly predicted just four of the 31 choices. People actually subscribe to that magazine for its sports coverage.
    Perhaps they will stop publishing?????:icon_eek:

I know ...I know we were all fooled on Eric Weddle....well yes and no Weddle was a late 2 on most draft boards and yes with just one season to evaluate he looks like a real find. However lets not talk about Sammie "candy man" Davis or Cough syrup Keil. Look nobody is perfect nobody.

On the trading of future picks it pans out as sliglty over paying if the Bolts win and go deep in the playoffs and Hester is a decent factor if the Chargers don't then the Pats make out big time.

One other player who I will keep a eye on is Owen Schmitt drafted by Seattle in the 5 th round he is also a FB who is known to be a hard worker: ESPN Although Schmitt doesn't always play with great leverage, he's tough, has good size and possesses the lower-body strength to drive linebackers back once he gets in position. He doesn't have great speed but he is an effective short-yardage runner.

This just in on the hit or miss projection draft front: This from TMQ
    This winter, the Advisory Committee supposedly told Mario Manningham he would be a late first-round choice, told Steve Slaton and Davone Bess they would be second-round selections and told Erin Henderson and Adrian Arrington they would be third-round choices. (This is according to the grapevine; the Advisory Committee makes no public announcements.) Perhaps inveigled by the promise of lofty status, all declared. What happened? Manningham and Slaton went in the third round, Arrington was chosen in the seventh, Bess and Henderson were not selected at all.

Essentially, the NFL may have misled these guys into giving up a year of college education, plus the chance to improve and go higher in the draft as seniors. Obviously this was not what the NFL wished to do; it's a sterling example of the Law of Unintended Consequences. The core problem of the Advisory Committee concept is that everybody overestimates how many players will be chosen high. Suppose you collected all the first-round draft projections made by ESPN.com, ESPN, NFL.com and NFL Network analysts, representing the best in the business. They would show perhaps 50 players projected to go in the 31 slots of this year's first round. Brian Brohm, Dan Conner, Brandon Flowers, James Hardy, Chad Henne, DeSean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly, Phillip Merling, Limas Sweed, Devin Thomas and others were projected by leading analysts to be first-round choices, and were not. Analysts also collectively grade out as second- and third-rounders more players than can be chosen in the slots available in those rounds.

I spend a lot of time studying the draft much more than I should and I miss a lot I also get a few right in fact more than most of the commercial pay sights and a lot of the draft sections in the rags that folks buy off the shelves and this pick had me scratching my head.

Yes I know who the @#$%^ am I to question A.J. ???? Hey it is entertainment isn't it???
    :yes: :flag:

21. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467 / 0 / -0
    Hey RMANCIL, you are alway welcome here, PERIOD! Don't get caught up on this forum vs. forum BS.
    The mock draft here are just for fun. Many of the so called top draft expert were way off. I was also way off on how it played out. Who would have thought there would be such a run on OL in the first round and not a single WR taken round one. It doesn't matter how much anyone knopw about the draft, this seaosn was pretty unpredictable.
    Ron, I respect your draft knowledge. I read a lot of draft stuff, but that's not substitute for those of you that really watch a lot of these players in college.
    It's ok to question AJ. Some portray him as "GAWD", but I like to say he's he's one of the top tier GMs in the league. But, even the best need a little criticism every now and then. And you got another thing right. This is entertainment. The world isn't going to change (much) based on on who wins the super bowl. That said, I really need the Chargers to win it all in my lifetime so I can die a happy man.

Bottom line. Your takes and insight are appreciated. Keep them coming.

22. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Thumper......I enjoy talking draft and I have opinions which don't change based on who was drafted by whom until I get to see them play in the N.F.L.

I am as big of a fan of the Chargers as the next guy however I do enjoy some back in forth.....I will never join the cheer leading section I just don't have the legs....:lol:

I sure hope Hester does shock me and play like a man possessed !

23. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Not at all. Exactly the opposite. Can't you scroll up one post?

Ron,

As you know, I see the Longhorns as much or more than any other team. I love Charles' speed and potential game breaking skills, but I don't like his penchant for putting the ball on the turf.

I also don't think Charles and Hester are comparable backs. Charles isn't what Norv/AJ was looking for in a backup RB. They wanted a guy who could be a power tailback, a fullback, an H (or "F") back ... etc. They wanted a scheme matchup player. I just don't think they are comparable players, especially not for what the Chargers wanted or how Hester will be used.

• Like Like x 1
  24. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Dan ,

Clearly they are totally different types of players. If you are looking at a tailback in this offense that could step in if LT went out Charles who is the mirror imagine of LT in a some what smaller package would be my choice.

If you want a FB to pick up 2 yds he would not fill that bill. Pinock does and Owen Schmitt does. According to the Chargers ex *** head man Buddy Nix Hester wasn't drafted to be or fit in a traditional TB role but rather a jack of all trades football player.

When looking at Smith -Nix and the Charger past draft history you have to think that they may be on to something . I sure hope they are.

From the outside looking in Charles was a low 1st -2nd round pick not just on my board but on a lot of "smart" boards, Hester wasn't....
    That being the case I do think that the Chargers trading up to grab Hester was a surprise and a controversial choice.

I also think that his selection will continue to be the subject of speculation and interest in the coming months. I find it interesting that Hester dominates the conversations while Cason the teams 1 st choice goes largely unnoticed and isn't the subject of any talk or post. That is a 1st for me as a long time fan and draft nut.

25. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Not at all. I said they weren't comparable.

26. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Exactly ... that's why I don't understand why you want to look at Charles career and compare it to Hester. Hester wasn't drafted to be LT's Mini-Me .... he was drafted to be a morph of Turner/Manu/Neal etc ... a jack of all trades.

Some of us have our head spun on that we need a carbon copy of LT to be his backup. I don't think we'll find that guy (and I don't think Charles is that guy anyway). The Bolts will use a variety of players in different fashions when LT isn't in the game.

One thing about this ....

I had Weddle in my list of guys, but I wasn't sure he was the one that fit what SD was looking for (I thought Sabby P might be the guy). I did spell out to a TEE what the Chargers were looking for in a safety, and how he would be used. It was in that whole "interchageble safeties and defensive unpredicability" discussion at Chargers.com.

:)

27. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    In the end it is always about impact. I saw Charles as being a impact RB who I think can be a starting tailback in the N.F.L. I don't think that is the case with Hester.

In the big scheme of things franchise tail backs go in front of Fullback/ H- back /ST / gurus at least they do in my book . Now if the Chargers don't believe that Charles can in fact be a franchise back and apparently they don't or they envision a role for H- back that makes Hester a key star type of performer well....

I think he will have to beat out Chandler , Naanee , Pinock and company for that postion which just based on all those players looks to be extremely well stocked.

I just don't get the pick. The Chargers passed on a 1st round pick from the Titian's to keep Turner as a tail back insurance reserve for one season . Clearly back up Tail back is valued.

I don't think Hester could fit that role but I think Charles could, thus the comparision. Frankly I did not think keeping Turner and passing on the 1st round pick was wise but hey nobody called to get my take.
    :icon_shrug:

What I am afraid of is that perhaps they should have.

28. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    On the Cason front I think he fits the Bolt larger CB scheme but frankly I think he would fit as a safety better than CB. He is a little stiff in the hips. He should be strong in run support however. Based on what I have read he is a student of the game which will fit in well with Cromartie , Weddle and company.

I do think the Chargers were very wise to draft a CB , they will need a 3rd to cover the muti wr sets against the Colts and Pats.

29. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    The first round pick from the Titans was never confirmed, nor were specifics on which year's draft it would be (even if it was offered). There were also rumors - including one being reported by Gil Brandt on Sirius Radio (but for some reason he didn't put it in print) that the Cowboys offered a #1 for Turner. I'd love to see AJ state exactly what the offers were before I believe it. AJ will side with keeping depth and that will pay dividends. Again, I haven't seen any conclusive evidence on exactly what the parameters of supposed offers for Turner were last year.

Are you sold on Charles route running skills? Pass catching? His blocking and blitz pickups? To fully fill LT's role in the way LT does, a single backup would have to be able to perform those functions.

Even Michael Turner was somewhat limited as LT's backup. He wasn't fully integrated into the passing scheme, and his pass blocking skills were limited. He also could not shake and bake a guy very well. He had to run over them in close quarters.

Charles would have better shake and bake, but still would be limited in the other areas where Turner lacked. I see Charles as purely a runner, but not able to be incorporated into the entire offense.

Again, Hester isn't purely a backup tailback. Just from the mini-camp packages that should be obvious. He's part tailback, part fullback, part H/F back, etc. He might be even new stuff that Norv has had cooking in his brain but didn't have the player to implement it.

The comparison exists solely for you, but not in the reality of what either player is, or what they'll be used for. You are looking to label and slot Hester into one niche, when he's going to be overlapping many niches.