1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jacob Hester's very first thread as a Charger

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Electric Chair, Apr 27, 2008.

1. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0

Smith had trade offers from several teams , He stated that he would only trade Turner for a 1st and a 3rd but that the picks could be in separate years. It was reported that on draft day the Chargers had a 1st round offer on the table however it was not confirmed if it was in the 2007 draft or the 2008.

Turner had visited Tenn where he and his agent had contract talks.
    The deal never caught hold due to Smith insisting on the two picks. The Titans had offered to swap 1st in 2007 and trade the 2008 for Turner it was reported/ rumored.

The Titans even drafted Micheal Griffin with their pick in the 1st round this despite the needs for RB and WR all in hopes of making a deal with the Chargers. Smith not getting his deal drafted wr Davis and traded up to take db Weddle.

The Titans were left holding the bag went on to draft a RB in the 2nd round and tried to convert Griffin to CB before giving up and moving back to safety.

Teams never publicize trades they don't make but you can bet these two teams did the dance. Smith could have swapped 1st in the 2007 draft and picked up the 2008 1st round pick for Turner but he passed.

In my book he should have taken the deal . He could have drafted Davis by trading up just as he did with Weddle. Bottom line the Bolts would have had Griffin and Davis plus Tenn 1st pick in this past draft.

If they had that pick they most likely would have taken Duane Brown - OT who the Texans nabbed.

Your right Charles does not have all the skills that LT has , I would imagine that is why LT was a top 5 pick in the 1st round. Charles however is a back who has the skill set to make a tackler miss in the hole and score from 60 yds out.

Just how many 3rd round picks can you say that about? Hey the chiefs who do know something about RB grabbed him and in my book he was a steal for them.
  2. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0

There is way too much speculation in those trade scenarios. Nothing concrete, and no links to direct statements from any of the parties involved.

Playing Charles would be like playing Sproles - both are limited and both will tend to telegraph the type and variety of plays we could run. I think Charles is a better back than Sproles ....

... then there is that little fumbling problem which Charles has ....
  3. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Doing a little digging here is a pretty interesting old news.

Chargers love Michael Griffin?
    By Matt Mosley
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)
    Updated: April 28, 2007, 7:31 AM ET
    Comment
    Email
    Print

Here are some high lites

I'll be working the phones both days, so you'll definitely know who the Cowboys are taking each round, and we'll have some solid leads in Arizona, San Diego and Oakland -- a location that Ed Werder will be rapid-fire texting from.

1 a.m. (Saturday): Just talked to one of the best college scouts in the league. He said the Chargers would love to see Texas safety Michael Griffin fall to No. 30. And I don't think A.J. Smith will hesitate to trade up a few spots if he finds a safety or wide receiver he likes. I'm sure Jerry Jones has already placed a call to Smith about trading down.

Can you imagine how good the Chargers could be with a true No. 1 wide receiver? They might be willing to make a strong offer to get their hands on Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachem

On another subject, my guy in San Diego just called and told me the Chargers were thrilled to get Craig Davis at No. 30. I had Davis going a little later on my board, but the Chargers are no longer using my board.

San Diego would still love to get something done on Michael Turner, but it may not happen. Do you guys realize how bad this running back draft is?

12:50 p.m.: Chargers just took a former Southlake Carroll (Texas) Dragon at No. 129. Scott Chandler went to Iowa as a wide receiver and ended up a tight end. He's 6-6, 268 pounds and has excellent hands. I'm sure the Chargers are hoping he can take some attention away from Antonio Gates, but the thing he can't do is block.

Chandler doesn't really like the contact. Interesting choice after taking LSU wide receiver Craig Davis. Obviously, A.J. Smith and Norv Turner are trying to add more firepower on offense. This might be a different-looking draft if Wade Phillips had taken over for Marty.

A.J Smith had this to say about trading Turner:

“It's still a 1 and a 3. I'm flexible. What I mean is that I recognize that a 1 and a 3 would paralyze a team's draft. So work with us.

“Six teams are still very interested. I can only tell you two, Buffalo and Tennessee, because they don't care if it's known. I'm sworn to secrecy on the others. They're trying to stay under the radar. A lot of people are scared to death to let it out. I'm amazed this is going on, but I told them I'd only verify if you come out. Teams love me because of that. I tell them I'd like to have a 1 and a 3 in '07 or '08. You guys decide what it's worth.”

Hard to say how much longer Turner will remain a Charger.
  4. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    If your waiting for Smith to send us a transcript you maybe in for a long wait. :lol:
  5. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    From ESPN Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com
    (Archive)

As a restricted free agent this spring, Turner visited with team officials from Tennessee and Buffalo, and both franchises were involved in trade talks with Smith. The San Diego general manager said that, in all, there were six suitors interested in Turner. There was speculation that at least one team offered Smith a 2008 first-round pick for Turner, but that was never substantiated and is now apparently moot.

Bottom line where there is smoke there is fire.
  6. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    ... and none of the above says anything except a bunch of speculation.

The whole thing about selecting Griffin to trade him is ridiculous. That ignores the cap rules and the specific amounts of the rookie pool.

It was VERY difficult for the Giants to fit Manning under the cap when the players were traded. It would be harder to fit a swap down from 19 to 30.

Trading picks (before the players are selected) means the money allocated for the rookie pool is also changed. Trading rights to players after they are selected does NOT move the rookie pool amount to the new team.

I don't for one second believe the Titans took Griffin to include (and entice) AJ Smith into a trade for Turner. That's wild internet speculation with no basis in fact.
  7. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Last year, about five internet rumor sites mentioned that SD was interested in Keyshawn Johnson. That was never the case. Even Pat Kirwan and Adam Schein on Sirius reported that the Chargers SHOULD be interested in MeShawn. Was that smoke? Sure .... but there never was any fire.
  8. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    All the trade talks with teams was verified by Smith that is a fact.
  9. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Talking is one thing .... concrete offers are another.

I'm sure SD and TENN were talking, but we really don't know exactly what was offered.

Is it a case like the Mickey Loomis/New Orleans bullcrap on Donnie Edwards? Remember that Loomis said he offered a third, but later a NOLA site said it was for two drafts later.

Was any offer by the Titans conditional on Turner's performance?

We don't know, and can speculate till the cows come home. The more times you say he turned down a 1st rounder for Turner doesn't make it closer to reality each time it's said. It's still just a guess.
  10. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Smith said it would take a 1st and a 3rd nothing less , Tenn drafted a safety that the Chargers were interested in when they in fact needed a CB , WR and RB.

The Chargers kept Turner for 2007 and should land a 3rd round comp selection for him now that he has left as a F.A.. ( bottom of 3rd ) Could the Chargers have traded Turner for a 1st ?? I think they had the offer but it wasn't the 1st and 3rd that Smith stated repeatedly that it would take and Smith is known for his hard ball stances.

Do I have the recording of Fisher and Smith.....of course not.

Can you prove there was no offer?? No you can't. I based on what I have read will choose to believe their was a offer that was turned down by the Chargers.
  11. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    I think there probably was an offer, but you have continually said AJ turned down a #1 for Turner. We simply don't know that to be true.
  12. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings Received:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Only the teams involved know all of the details and very seldom do we ever get those details we do know for a fact that the Chargers held trade talks with several teams.

We know for a fact that Smith stated he wanted a 1# and a 3#. We know for a fact that the talks went no where with all of the teams with the exception of the Titian's and the Bills.

We know for a fact that the talks progressed with those two teams to the point that Turner hopped a jet and flew to each city and along with his agent held talks with them.

We know for a fact that his agent then stated that he did not think the trade would progress as he thought that the Chargers wanted to much.

We know for a fact that the Bills dropped out stating the price was two high.

We know for a fact that a deal was rumored between the Titian's and the Chargers on ESPN and in the Tenn newspapers. We know for a fact the speculation was that the Titian's were offering a 1st round selection. I later read that the Titian's offered to switch 1st round positions which appears to hold water when you look at the Titian's draft.

We know for a fact that the Titans drafted Michael Griffin safety when they needed a cb ,rb and wr. We know for a fact that they tried to switch Griffin to CB in spring training after the trade fell through. We also know for a fact that his teammate CB Aaron Ross was drafted by the Giants the very next pick. ( why would Tenn draft Griffin S and pass on CB needed to replace Pacman?)

We know for a fact that the Chargers did not get the offer that Smith demanded in a 1 and a 3 even though on draft day he softened the offer stating it made no difference in what year either of the picks were in. ( All trade gurus know the year in the future is always discounted a full round)

We know for a fact that the Titian's and the Chargers had the longest discussions of any of the teams and we know for a fact the deal went south.

Several very reliable sources did state that a 1st round pick was offered but no team would confirm nor deny , that we know for a fact. ( how could talks last with out any offer?)

I know for a fact that teams don't have talks for days that don't involve a 1st round selection when the original offer was a 1 and a 3rd. ( trade negotiations last for days when there is some substance )

Based on those facts I do believe that the Chargers were offered a 1st round pick in the 2008 draft and turned it down I also believe the Titian's did not offer a 3rd round pick in any year of the draft.( other wise we would have a trade)

Oh...we know that Smith is a firm believer in stating his demands and sticking to his guns now that is a fact you can take to the bank.

Bottom line I feel very confident in stating the Chargers turned down a 1st round pick for Turner as that is what I believe. I don't report the offer of trading of 1st round positions however I do believe that was in the cards and Tenn tried to force Smiths hand by drafting Griffin . ( crazy to draft a safety and try and switch him to CB when CB are on the board)

Smith countered by putting a deal together with the Bears in order to land Weddle. Of course I could be wrong Fisher and Smith could have been talking about a golf match and Turner was doing advance scouting for his upcoming F.A. run.
    :lol:

I also think O.J. was guilty..... again.... circumstantial....