1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jake Long

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MtlBoltsFan, May 10, 2007.

1. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    You know, thinking about how we kept Turner when we probably could have traded him away for the Titans' 2008 pick pisses me off when I think about being in the Jake Long sweepstakes next year. Let's face it, Tennessee could easily bomb this season and end up with a Top 8 pick and that would be enough to get Long probably. Jake Long is the best right tackle prospect in NFL history in my mind. He is like Shane Olivea only 5 inches taller, much longer wingspan, much more muscle tone and more athletic and an even more aggressive mentality. This kid just dominates whatever is in front of him. If there were a way to get him next year we could possibly assemble one of the best o-lines in NFL history. Trumpie would drool over this ****** look at him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw him play at Penn State last year and he just dominated the entire game. It is a shame that we couldn't deal for a 1st round pick in 2008 to have a shot at him. When all is said and done he might be a top 3 pick and that is as a RIGHT TACKLE. Gawd I hope there is some way to get him if we can franchise Turner next year and trade him but it's probably only a dream.
  2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +200 / 0 / -0
    He does look like a good one. I'm guessing but next year our first pick will be a cb since florence will probably be leaving.

If I were A.j. I'd really showcase turner this year. And if he does as well as he has done the last couple of years his stock should really rise. Then possibly franchise tag him and trade him.
  3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +714 / 0 / -0

agree:yes: I want to see more looks w/ them both in the backfield dammit

Long is impressive tho
  4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0
    With a cap figure just under 8 mil, the franchise tag could become problematic for the Chargers, if noone takes the bait. If that happens, that tag is fully part of the team's cap figure. It would be like challenging someone to a fight and giving them the first punch as a freebee.

:icon_shrug:
  5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +347 / 0 / -0

Regardless of where the Chargers pick next year, if Right Tackle is a serious need, they can find a good one in the first three rounds. I'm not enough of a draft wonk to be vetting next year's college class already, but there has to be at least two other good tackle candidates out there next year. The Chargers can always sign Turner to a contract this year that satisfies another team willing to trade a good right tackle or a number 1 for Turner. I would never base a trade on where I figured another team would wind up in the draft next year, especially in the top five picks.
  6. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    I don't want another right tackle, Jake Long will immediately be the best right tackle in the NFL no joke hanest he is unbelievable I have never seen anyone like him dominate both as a run blocker and pass blocker the way he does.
  7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    So he is an Olivea clone only he is actually good and has a more physical presense. :lol:

I look forward to the day when we move Olivea to RG and get a better RT.

But yes..if we had another first rounder id love to get Long or another player id love to have as a luxery....Steve Slaton
  8. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to see he uses his feet first in pass protection becuse mandrich looked great and was a bust. I like baker from USC myself.
  9. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings Received:
    +942 / 0 / -0

Well, you nailed that one MTL.
  10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings Received:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    Mtl is a witch and nails alot more than he misses on his college scouting reports. He might rub people the wrong way, but when you actually get to the point, dude is nails.
  11. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings Received:
    +942 / 0 / -0
    Gotta give props when due. Nailing the top pick a year in advance is pretty damn good. And on a OL, it's amazing.
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,448 / 19 / -4
    seriously
    and Long's a top notch talent
  13. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings Received:
    +942 / 0 / -0
    Plus Jake is a guitar hero,

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_niovzMxhL0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_niovzMxhL0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  14. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    That's what we all said about Gallery. A no miss everyone said. You know how that turned out. But I do think Long is going to be a stud. Parcells is no dummy. But time will only tell if he's another Orlando Pace or a Robert Gallery. We hype these top picks all the time and if they don't produce they are deemed busts. See Mario Williams. Great call on Long being No. 1 though.

I have to find my "We Should get that Antonio Cromartie guy!" post a few years ago.....
  15. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0

Mario Williams has been playing real well . He isnt no bust!

As for Cro.....Ron and leisure were talking about him months before.........maybe even a year before he declared.
  16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    You're right Boltjolt. But he was called a bust the 1st year since he was the First pick and all that. I didn't think he was a bust since you have to give a player a few years before you can really call them a "bust". Williams is showing his potential now I agree. I think a lot of people were mentioning Cro. like I was, but I have to admit....I had NO idea he would be this good so fast. Thank goodness A.J. and Nix had the foresight to select him even with the torn ACL and lack of playing time at the college level.
  17. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    Well this took the excitement away from the first draft pick....way to go. At least wait until sat and make it look like a surprise.
  18. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings Received:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    Not really. For me it adds interest because you can make more sense of how the chips are going to fall.
  19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    I hated Gallery. The thing about him is that everyone was drooling over his size and athleticism but he never looked like a complete package at Iowa on the field. He got by with pure athleticism but he was raw as hell. He gave lots of effort in the run game and looked dominant at times but he was slow coming out of his stance and choked on various rush moves. He looked like he had TONS of potential but never did he look refined in what he was doing on the field. The dude played the tackle position for the first time IN HIS LIFE as a Sophomore. You know how it goes... tight end recruit eats his way to 300 pounds, team converts him to tackle. The dude was always raw and drafted solely based on potential.

The bottom line is that if you are going to draft someone so high, they better have played their position for a long time. The reason why I pimp certain players for instance is that they have played a single position since pop warner AND they have great athleticism and work ethic AND they looked mature and refined on the college field. Take Nick Mangold for instance... the dude has been playing the center position exclusively since he was 8 years old. Typically when this is the case, combined with his strength/athleticism package and work ethic, there is VERY little chance a guy like this will bust.

If you want someone to compare with Robert Gallery in this draft, look no further than Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh. The guy has outstanding size and strength and is relatively light on his feet for a guy of his dimensions. The problem is that while he relied on his frame and athleticism to shut down crappy edge rushers in his conference and while he looked dominant in the run game at times because of his pure strength, the dude does not have the technique to be able to come in at the NFL level and play at a high level like he did in college. Just like Gallery, oh yes, Otah might eventually start at tackle. But will he ever live up to what the team drafting him is hoping he will be? Not likely.

Ultimately I think Jeff Otah's best fit will be inside at guard but at the same time the dude could conceivably struggle there as well as he is lazy with his hands.

For Otah to succeed in the NFL he will REALLY need to work his *** off and all signs point to him not being the type of player who wants to be great. In all likelihood he will be a "good backup" type player. You don't spend 1st rounders on these types of players.
  20. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    BTW the best senior in next year's draft BY FAR is also a tackle and you can put your money on him going Top 3 although he is really #1 worthy I can't assume the team picking #1 needs a tackle...

Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

[​IMG]

I almost wet myself when he declared for this year's draft but then he withdrew. Ultimately Oher withdrawing was great news for the Chargers as he wouldn't have gone past Kansas City #5 overall. Heck, there would be a possibility he would have gone to St. Louis #2 overall, Atlanta #3 overall, Oakland #4 overall.... everyone would want him. Oher is going to look damn good this year with Houston Nutt calling the shots.

As long as there aren't tons of crazy junior declarations like George Selvie, Greg Hardy, Andre Smith, Tim Tebow... Oher is a lock for Top 3. He is the #1 senior on my board and that is not going to change barring career-threatening injury :yes:
  21. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    How do I jump off his bandwagon when the mock draft I posted was a strategic mock draft designed in order to win 1 million bolt bucks and I didn't have Long going to Miami because Ozzie Newsome said Long will not be a Dolphin? I usually release my final mock like a day before the draft and I had to conform to the rules of Thumper's contest so I made a mock specifically for that contest. I will release the real MTL mock on Friday.

Well I have learned a lesson and that is do not trust Ozzie Newsome, even though he showed me all the signs in 2006 that he was going to take Haloti Ngata and I was able to predict that.

Finally Long has always been the #1 tackle to me. Go find somewhere that I have listed Clady or anyone else other than Michael Oher (which was like 3 months ago when he declared) ahead of Long.
  22. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings Received:
    +192 / 0 / -0

I am on this guys bandwagon as well. He's so incredibly athletic for his size, it's unbelievable. Also, playing in the SEC, you know that he's going against the best talent. He athleticism is tremendous in pass blocking, he can get out in space, and he has great drive in the running game. I would have had him neck and neck with long in this years draft if he had declared, because I think that his upside is tremendous.
  23. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    You are right, given the fact that he is a lock to man the left tackle position he would have given Long a run for his money although I am starting to be more and more convinced Jake will be fine on the left side.

Ole Miss is really not a recruiting powerhouse but MAN have they been pumping out some of my very favorite prospects.

NFL.com profile compared Quentin Groves to DeMarcus Ware which is a joke to me... but Greg Hardy compares quite favorably to DeMarcus Ware. Hardy is going to be a premiere edge rusher in the NFL for a long time and in my opinion there is a great chance he will declare as a junior. Man if Selvie and Hardy declare next year that would be insane. Hardy has a much more well rounded game but Selvie is a slightly better pass rusher and just plays faster than Hardy but Selvie will get washed out of more plays than Hardy. Selvie still has to build his body. I am interested to see how much Selvie's statistical production will drop given South Florida losing their dynamite corners to the NFL.

Here is a video of Selvie being hypnotized

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f_zZwjWfsLE&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f_zZwjWfsLE&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  24. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9FhlbsJUJ9Q&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9FhlbsJUJ9Q&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
  25. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    I am so gewd

26. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings Received:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Greg Hardy is a more complete player.
  27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 44 / -6
    WHO FARTED!!!!!!
  28. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If Jake Long can make Mike Hart look like a First Round Draft Prospect before his injury he's gonna make Ronnie Brown a Pro Bowler, solid pick up by the Phins.Also if it wasn't for Jake Long, Chad Henning wouldn't even be a First Round or 2nd round Pick if i was Henning I'll be kissing Longs feet every time i see him.
  29. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +805 / 54 / -42
    OK, I give up !!!! [​IMG]

How'd you manage this one Hex ? [​IMG] (even better was that a post from April 2008 is AFTER your post today !! Awesomeness at it's very very bestest)

EDIT : Ahhhhhhhhh, well it was before I posted my reply ................now I'm truely dumbfounded.

EDIT ...EDIT : Cool, its back :tup:
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,576 / 44 / -6
    Beats the hell out of me!!!!!!