1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jamarcus Russell....

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thunderstruck, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    A few weeks ago I got some heat on a couple forums for suggesting that Jamarcus Russell was the black Ryan Leaf...and I'll admit I earned some of that heat because my opinion was based on things I was hearing and not something I could link to. Well, now there is some confirmation to show that I wasn't just pulling rumors out of my ***...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The Way We Hear It/default.htm

2. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    There are smart black QB's ..... James Harris, Warren Moon, Donovan McNabb ......

There are dumb white QB's ..... Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, ......

Personally, I don't think either Quinn or Russell will be a "franchise" NFL QB.

One of those Bowe vids sure showed a lot of LSU WR's bailing out Russell on poor throws, yet everyone cites accuracy as Russell's biggest asset along with arm strength.
  3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    I don't think Russell's issues really have much to do with whether he's smart or dumb. That's why I compared him to Leaf. Leaf wasn't dumb--he was immature and lazy. Russell has some odd similarities to Leaf. Both are underclassmen who really started to rise into the conversation as "best QB in the draft" late in their junior years; both were rumored to have not been the best of teammates but seemed to suddenly "learn how to be leaders" in their last year in college, both had rare physical gifts, and both showed some unexpected flab going into the draft... We didn't hear much about Leaf's immaturity or his poor decision-making beforehand, but you can add that to the big flashing warning sign on Russell...
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,243 / 0 / -0
    Smart and dumb aren't straight forward intelligence.

Dumb is showing up overweight for the combine. Dumb is leaving the rookie symposium early. Dumb is getting into a pissing match with a reporter while camera crews capture it.

Immaturity doesn't cover all of dumb.
  5. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    When i first heard that Russell was coming out in this draft i was surprised then i figured he would be a 2nd round pick.
    I was shocked hen he was getting all this pub and all the sudden he is a possible #1 pick.

I like him a lot but i also didnt know about his work habits and attitude til recently. I think i actually do a pretty decent job rating QB's and i do think Russell is overrated and should stay in school another year but he isnt any worse off than Aaron Rodgers coming out when he did.

He'll get rich but if he gets real lazy because he got paid then some team is going to really regret drafting him. If he applys himself, he could be a good one down the road.
  6. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +272 / 0 / -0
    I think one of the biggest warning signs for any college athlete is a guy who has freakish physical ability and bad work-ethic. It suggests that the player has been getting by on his natural talent alone...and that's just not enough to be good in the NFL. But guys like that are also almost always difficult to reform from their laziness because they've never had to work to be successful. They get spoiled. Awesome size and arm strength + bad work ethic to me is a virtual guarantee for failure in a quarterback. It's very possible he'll never figure out that arm-strength is about 5% of what makes an NFL QB successful.

I don't think I've ever seen a great NFL player who had poor work-ethic. Maybe there's been a couple but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
  7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings Received:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    All are reasons why the Raiders are drafting Calvin. Bank on it.
  8. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0

As ive said all along:yes:
  9. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    1. troy 2. quinn ..................................... 3. Russell
  10. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    I hope they do. would hate to see him play for Tampa :no:
  11. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Why would that matter to us?:icon_huh:
  12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,063 / 30 / -0
    Probably has something to do with the Moled One playing in the same division as Tampa.

You'll have to forgive Go Boilers. He's got his face buried so deeply in Drew's sac that he loses all sense of space and time.

Clearly, Calvin going to Tampa matters little to the Chargers, but since when does Go Boilers care about the Chargers?
  13. Boltjolt

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, i see......so Go Boilers is more a Saints fan than he is a Bolts fan..... and maybe you saying he was only a Bolts fan while Drew were here?

So what about that Go?

Are you more a Saints fan, or all for the Saints because by that comment you made above...you seem to care more about them than you do the Bolts.

If your such a Brees and Saints fan, why do you still come here?