1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jammer & Johnson don't need no stinkin' pads!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 22, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,879 / 48 / -26
    Chargers players call required pads 'ridiculous'
    Written by

Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer has a prediction.

On Tuesday, NFL owners voted upon and approved an equipment change during their Atlanta meetings, requiring players to wear knee and thigh pads beginning in 2013.

“There'll probably be a lot of fines in 2013,” Jammer said. “A lot of guys won't wear them.”
    Himself included.

The 11th-year veteran was among the several Chargers players Tuesday to express opposition to the owners' vote. The NFL Players Association will have its voice, releasing a statement to that effect, ensuring that “any change in working conditions is a collectively-bargained issue.”

Jammer was asked if he'd wear the pads.

He flatly said “no” with a laugh.

“It's dumb,” Jammer said. “Ridiculous to me. I don't think anybody should be required to wear (them). I don't get hit, so I don't need to worry about pads.

Offensive players should wear them because we hit them, but I don't think it should be mandatory.

“You play this game because you want to play this game, and the risks you take are the risks you take. If you don't want to wear hip pads, knee pads or thigh pads, you shouldn't have to. It should be a choice.”

Most Chargers players said they haven't worn knee or thigh pads since college.

That includes Jarret Johnson.

The outside linebacker, entering his 10th season, echoed Jammer's concern while not going so far as to say he'd take a hypothetical fine for it. Johnson said he'll wear the "smallest pads possible" instead, also calling the owner-approved change “ridiculous.”

“It's a bunch of guys who never played football before,” Johnson said. “You hear it all the time. They're saying, 'Why do players always complain about player safety if they're not going to wear thigh pads?' Well, thigh bruises and knee bruises aren't ending careers.

“The repetitive amount of hits we take, day in and day out — this, to me, is a PR stunt … If you get hit in the legs, you're doing something wrong. You're either getting cut or standing there. Usually, when guys are aggressive and they're hitting back, the legs aren't usually getting hit.”

The player response, if nothing else, reveals a stigma about adding pads. More pads mean more weight. More weight means less speed.

Cornerback Antoine Cason doesn't wear leg pads, he says, specifically because he doesn't want to be slowed down.

Nike's padding is expected to be less bulky than what football players are required to wear in high school and college. But until players see it for themselves, it's safe to call them skeptical.

Wide receiver Robert Meachem likely won't have to adjust to new pad requirements. He already wears thin knee and thigh pads.

Still, he's not on board.

"You really don't want to wear them because you want to be as light and quick as possible," Meachem said. "I hope they don't do it at all. You're taking away from the game. Fans come to see us. When we don't feel comfortable playing, you're not going to be able to perform at your best and give the fans what they want to see."

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    I think we all know the pads that Goodell would like to see them wear. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +854 / 54 / -42
    These maybe ??? [​IMG] ;)

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    It's a little rediculous, as it's clearly not going to help with player safety, since those pads won't prevent you from breaking your leg or tearing a knee ligament.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Not exactly. ;)

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Maybe the knee pads thought process is blows to the head. Thigh pads? I dunno.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6

There you have it, its money driven "NIKE" how much do you think they paid everyone for thier vote? Make them mandatory, now we can charge what we want for those pads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Isn't the answer nearly always "follow the money"?

9. JAMES ORNELAS

JAMES ORNELAS Bolt Head Till I'm Dead!!

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    The Hammer Jammer is the **** better ask somebody!!

QJ_Desktop.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Jammer also does need any outside forces slowing him down. In fairness, however, it's really optimistic of him to think that he'll be in the NFL for the 2013 season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Sorry for the multipost, but something that's being pushed down by the largely meaningless "Pads" news is the changing of the rules for IR and the extension to week 8 of the tradeline, which are fairly significant developments. By week 8, a lot of teams are already eliminated, and might be inclined to trade veterans for younger players/picks, whereas by week 6 everyone is still "in it".

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...es-trade-deadline.ap/index.html?sct=nfl_t2_a5

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,879 / 48 / -26
    But since Nike is making them, they're sure to look cool....... like those Duck uniforms. ;)

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    Having used every single piece of my Umpire equipment, I could care less about looks as long as it works. And football players need knee and thigh pads because? I have had to be the “fashion police” numerous times, if someone looks different out on the field, they are not allowed on the field uniform wise. If a player doesn’t want to wear a mandatory pad, don’t let them on the field.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,879 / 48 / -26
    You do realize that was meant as a joke....... don't you? ;)

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,230 / 37 / -21
    If he doesn't play a lot better I don't see much of a market for him.

Maybe we could deal him to Dallas with a pick to get Mike Jenkins, after all Jammer is a Texas boy, and he'd be a potential starting SS for them.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    It would be kinder to just take him out back & shoot him.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,230 / 37 / -21
    So? :coffee: Jam is on his way down hill, time to cut and run if we can get anything for him. JMO

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Right over your head, huh Einstein?

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,230 / 37 / -21
    I assume you were suggusting we release him because it would be kinder and he can negotiate with whomever he wants.

I'm saying I don't care about being kind, get something for him if you can.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    At 5:48 this morning a Vanpool Van a semi and two other cars got tangled up on the 15 south. I work with 3 people that were in that van. All three survived, one has a broken neck, a broken pelvis and two broken legs and the rescue people had to use the jaws of life to get him out. If it was meant as a joke, I didn’t see it.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Wrong but thanks for playing.

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,230 / 37 / -21
    Well then please elaborate captain clever pants.

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,599 / 48 / -6
    What is that noise I hear?

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,879 / 48 / -26
    I have no idea what you'e talking about...... you lost me.

I was referring to my post about Nike making the pads look "cool"...... don't know what prompted your response. :confused:

25. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,918 / 4 / -6
    I guess the next time I respond to you I will do it with crayons

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I also don't see a connection between a vehicle full of people getting hit by a semitruck and pads manufactured by Nike... Were your work colleagues wearing Nike-made pads at the time of the accident?

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    A gong?

28. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +409 / 8 / -0
    you're going to explain with crayons to everyone because I didn't understand your comment either, other that you're in no mood for jokes today which is not our problem

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +2,879 / 48 / -26
    Whatever you're comfortable with. ;)

30. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,621 / 11 / -0
    Seems like an attempt by the NFL to "show" that they are trying to make the game safer. Quite a few concussions are caused by a player going to the ground getting nailed in the head by another players knee or thigh (etc...) so the solution? Put pads on those places.

Considering the lawsuits the league is facing from former players the moves make sense. If they do nothing, does it not help push the door open for more legal actions against them? If they can convince a Judge that they are doing what they can to make a dangerous sport as safe as possible, will that help shut said door?

While I believe available steps to protect players should be taken, at some point players (future, current and past) need to accept that they made a choice to play a dangerous sport as a career.

Does it suck when that choice leads to long-term health issues? Definitely, and I absolutely empathize with the men who find themselves in such situations. That said, post-NFL player health issues are something the league and the players association should be working on TOGETHER to manage, instead of fighting one another in courtrooms and the press.

• Like Like x 1