1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jammer wants to return to SD.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, May 20, 2013.

1. Fouts

Fouts Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 3 / -0
  2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,457 / 36 / -16
    I like Jammer a lot, and am very grateful to him for the service he gave to the Chargers.

So I probably wouldn't mind if this somehow happened.

On the other hand, the lack of interested clubs is telling. CB is rarely an old man's game.

Ironically, the Ingram injury makes me cooler to this: I've been pretty concerned about
    the limited veteran experience on the D...and Freeney definitely adds a lot of that...
    such that I'm not weighing Jammer's leadership as important as I would have even a week ago.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 32 / -0
    Jammer is a model for younger players. He came into the league playing a style that the league suddenly decided they were no longer going to allow. He fought through a steep learning curve and the pressure of his draft position to become a very solid player. He gives it all on ever play and he's very physical. He might not have the fast twitch quickness to be a top corner anymore, but I would give him the vet minimum and give him a shot to be a safety. Worst case scenario, he coaches up the younger guys and becomes a training camp cut.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +419 / 7 / -1
    I dunno. At best he is a backup corner/safety, can't seem him starting in either position. But yes you would like to think he could instill some knowledge in the young guys.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,614 / 49 / -6
    He's one of their own and probably would be able to hold down the safety spot rather well.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,632 / 11 / -0
    We need depth right? I don't have a problem with Q coming back - he's good people and while he's not the player he used to be his work ethic is solid and he's the kind of guy I want around my young players.

Although, he might not fit with what the team wants to do moving forward so I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't suit up in lightning bolts again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +2,934 / 48 / -26
    It sucks getting old.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    Tell me about it. :tdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    I think that Jammer could at least be better than Stuckey at SS when we're playing our nickel defense (which is often). Having Jammer at SS, Wright/Cox at CB, Gilchrist at NB, and Weddle at FS would probably keep us functional for run D while giving us good coverage options.

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 32 / -0
    I like that lineup, too. It sounds like the coaches are giving Gilchrist a shot at safety, but in Nickel/Dime situations, they could still use Jammer at safety.

11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +529 / 13 / -3
    I don't mind bringing Quentin Jammer back at all, as long as he understands it isn't as a starter. He will backup both Derek Cox and Shareece Wright, hopefully enlighten that CB room with his experience and leadership as well, since he knows the defense well.

That I don't have a problem. If it interferes with us signing Max Starks than no thank you, if not then what are we waiting for? Bring the man back.

Jammer could also serve as a backup at SS too. Jammer and Marcus Gilchrist could be flip flopped, one to CB other to SS. Don't mind it. I think Jammer can actually play bump and run with some receivers in the nickel. He got hurt playing the soft zone since he didn't have the closing speed or recovery speed to stay with some receivers. But if he can get his hands on the WR at the LOS and bump them off their route, he could do some damage. He's never been afraid to play physical.

12. powayslugger

powayslugger 2014--- Bring on the Lombardi!

Ratings:
    +143 / 3 / -0
    I could see Jammer alongside Weddle at safety... those two hit like a ton of bricks. It was a move that shoulda/coulda been made three years ago.

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,457 / 36 / -16
    God, it was probably 5 or 6 years ago that fans started talking about moving
    Jammer to safety--as he got older--ostensibly to prolong his career.

It's usually stated as a no-brainer that he'd be a relatively solid safety.

I don't know...despite a few notables like Woodson & Barber, the fact that many hundreds
    of CBs have gotten old without a successful transition to safety, combined with the facts that
    neither Charger defensive coaches--nor Jammer himself--ever seemed to think it was
    a great idea, makes me question the "obvious" wisdom supposedly behind such a move.

Don't get me wrong: I'm definitely up for trying it...I'd like it to work...but I don't think
    that NFL history supports the idea that it's as likely to succeed as many fans casually paint it.
    Yes, QJ kind of plays CB like a safety anyway...but at the end of the day, it's still two different jobs.

14. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,148 / 5 / -0
    You can say THAT again!!

But you just don't know how bad it sucks until you're 55 and out of work. This is the EPICENTER of suckage. Trust me. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +201 / 3 / -1
    Always been a Jammer fan, but thinking that most backup corners/safeties have to excell on special teams.
    Does he have the speed and the desire to do that?

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +419 / 7 / -1
    He certainly played a lot of special teams right up to the end. Not sure I'd be bringing him back for his efforts on special teams though. As a backup safety/corner and mentor perhaps.

• Agree Agree x 1