1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto?

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by BoltzRule, Jun 24, 2008.

1. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Tj Ford + 1st for O'Neal swap

How do you feel about that MTL?

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=241460&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nba

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Numerous reports have said that the talks broke off.

But if they are still on...

Given that it is reported that Jermaine is in great condition right now, I would do Ford + Nesterovic + Humphries for O'Neal OR Ford+Nesterovic+#17 for O'Neal and a conditional top 10 protected 1st round pick if Jermaine misses out X amount of games due to injury.

Jermaine's injury list is ridiculous and while Ford is a liability in the health department Jermaine's record has been probably the worst in the NBA the past 3-4 years. Ford is a young PG who can max out at 17pt 9ast or so in the future and still has upside. Ford has a very reasonable contract at 8 mil per season the next 3 years. Jermaine has 2 yrs 44 million left. Nesterovic gives them an expiring and a solid 18 minute a game center for one year and Humphries is an energy player with upside to become one of the better rotational PFs in the league if he reaches that upside.

This all being said, Jermaine is exactly what the Raptors lack and that is toughness. When he is healthy the guy is a tremendous shot blocker who can alter tons of shots, intimidate players driving to the hoop, play good defense and get to the stripe. His FG% isn't real pretty but he would get less touches in the Raptors offense (14 or so a game?) and could potential improve upon it and become an efficient offensive player. This would also allow Andrea Bargnani to play as the 6th man (which I believe is what he is destined to be as an NBA player) and sub for either Jermaine or Bosh when they need a rest or are in foul trouble.

All in all if you want to win in the NBA you need to take risks given some of the formations out there. Jermaine coming in is a risk I am willing to take.

PG: Calderon
    SG: Parker
    SF: Moon
    PF: Bosh
    C: O'Neal

This is a lineup that can probably get the Raptors past the 1st round of the playoffs and maybe with some luck and some corrupt officiating in their favor, past the 2nd round.

3. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I agree that it gives them the toughness they need, Bargnani is too soft and Bosh is best at the 4.

The injury concerns is the only reason the deal would be off if it was. O'neal has wanted out for a while and the Raptors need a big to help Bosh.

But it'd take away any shot from your dream scenario of getting Mayo.

4. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    I have given up on Mayo the Raptors don't have what it takes to move up there. I'm not even sure if Ford, Bargnani and 17 would be enough to move up. It is my philosophy that to win in today's NBA you need a SG/SF to complement a big man. Raptors are really lacking that perimeter player who can shoot and slash. Anthony Parker can shoot and play decent defense but he is soft and rarely gets to the stripe and is a "glue guy" more than anything else.

If the Raptors stay at 17 I personally want Alexis Ajinca if available as the guy has ridiculous potential. Also Anthony Randolph is supposedly falling down boards but I doubt he will be there at 17. Everyone has the Raptors going with Robin Lopez and while I wouldn't mind Lopez he is nothing more than a rotational player due to a lack of offense. Raptors are not at the point where they are one or two rotational players away from an NBA championship. They need to take risks. Ajinca is a ridiculous raw talent with unbelievable length and athleticism. Check this out...

So if they stay at 17 I am hoping for a raw but talented player. I wouldn't be opposed to Roy Hibbert either as the Raptors play halfcourt style ball right now.

5. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I agree the the recipe to success in the NBA is having a great guard and big guy.

I'm not so sure about a SF, unless it's a guy with great handles like Lebron I don't think a SF makes that big of an impact.

Ajinca looks solid, but how is he inside? He looks like one of those soft big men who like to settle for the 3 instead of going inside and doing the dirty work.

6. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    I had reservations about posting "SG/SF" but given what you wrote I know you get the picture. Guys with handles who can drive and shoot. LeBron qualifies but the problem is that the Cavs have no chemistry... I would blow the entire team up except LeBron. Star PF, glue guys at SG and C and a pass first point guard and LeBron can go all the way. Gilbert Arenas will never win a championship, neither will Iverson. Those types of players I stay the heck away from. Carmelo is more of a SF/PF... same with Beasley. These guys gonna have hard times to win it all.

Ajinca would qualify as a softer player in certain respects but he has the chance to develop into a very special shot blocker. He has a ridiculous wingspan, is a legit 7'1, has the frame to add more weight, seems to be committed to basketball, outstanding shooting touch and soft hands and he can pass well, great shot blocking skills, good free throw shooter (that's a luxury at C), should become a very good help defender and good man defender. The rebounding and ability to draw contact is a question mark but he is a very young player with length, athleticism and a willingness to work hard. No reason why he shouldn't develop into a solid rebounder.

Check out the second part of the workout... you can see the shot blocking potential. His wingspan is ridiculous. Look at his jumpshot mechanics... outstanding. Seems to have great handles for a 7'1. I love this kid from what I have seen.

IMO Ajinca is the player most likely to develop into a star by the time pick #17 comes around. You can never have enough big men.

7. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    I agree about Beasley, I think it's very possible for him to put up great numbers but I don't see him as a huge impact guy, kind of like Carmelo, and Arenas. They look nice on the stat sheet but don't make that big of an impact on the court.

As for Ajinca he does have nice potential, nice wingspan, the only thing is will he develop into the big man that you hope for and not another disappointment. If he develops the toughness he should be a nice compliment to Bosh.

8. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Ajinca's potential is legit. One guy I do not buy into is Javale McGee. Serge Ibaka looks to have good potential. DeAndre Jordan is no doubt a freak athlete but I have watched him play numerous times and he is not very active and his basketball IQ is very poor. Jason Thompson I'm not high on. Both McGee and Jordan are a DND for me in the 1st round. With Roy Hibbert you know what you are getting and I think he would be an amazing fit in Utah and it is known Utah wants him badly.

Most intriguing player in the draft has gotta be Bill Walker. Boom or bust with that guy.

9. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Ha more Toronto B-Ball news. On this board it seems the NBA is relegated to LA Lakers, San Antonio, and Toronto. And a few bandwagon Boston guys.

But I like what Toronto is doing as a team. I'd do the TJ Ford/ O'Neal trade, but I'd give up Humphries before Rasho.

It looks like Indiana has backed out though
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ajwglw48U8RdesZ5BKqrsOCO0bYF?slug=aw-tradeoff062308&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Too bad, a Bosh/ O'Neal frontcourt would've been crazy. And MTL is right, they don't seem to have enough to move up for OJ Mayo.

10. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Indiana is stupid if they were the ones backing out, either that or they weren't getting what was reported or they have a better deal on the table.

11. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Any team which absorbs Jermaine's contract is screwed for the next 2 years if he gets injured. 22 mil a year :icon_eek:

I heard rumors that the Knicks might be interested in TJ. I would do like #6 overall for Ford + #17 + Protected 2009 first rounder.

12. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Just heard a rumor Raptors are seriously considering drafting J.J. Hickson #17 overall.

13. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    Holy caca!!!

O'Neal Deal Nearly Complete

The big trade that's expected to go down tomorrow is, of course, the Jermaine O'Neal/TJ Ford deal. The Raptors are taking one more look at O'Neal, wanting to be sure he's healthy and ready to play big minutes alongside Chris Bosh, but the word is that this deal will, indeed, get done.

The expectation is that the Raptors will send Ford, Rasho Nesterovic and their #17 pick to the Pacers, who loved what they saw from Danny Grainger and Mike Dunleavy, Jr. during O'Neal's prolonged absence this season. The feeling is that they can build around their other two front court players if they have a good veteran point guard running the show, and when TJ is healthy he's as good as they come. He's also a tremendous presence in the locker room and a strong role model off the court.

Expect the Pacers to use the #17 pick on the best big man available and be happy with the upgrades they were able to make on draft day.

14. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    TJ Ford sweepstakes heating up.

Portland supposedly is offering Pryzbilla and Jack. Phoenix has an offer up. Hopefully these guys outbid each other :yes:

If Jermaine stays healthy and Colangelo can somehow find a SG Raps can contend for the East :yes:

15. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    "Toronto is also interested in Detroit's Richard Hamilton, but the Pistons would be more willing to deal if Jose Calderon was substituted for Ford."

:icon_eek::icon_eek::icon_eek:

Ok here is what needs to be done...

TJ + Rasho + 17 for Jermaine

BARGNANI + Parker + Future 1st for Hamilton.

GIT R DONE BC!!!

PG: Calderon
    SG: Hamilton
    SF: Moon
    PF: Bosh
    C : O'Neal

Fuc me freddy!!!

16. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0

:icon_rofl:

17. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
  18. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    That would be the ultimate team, but why da hell would Detroit do that trade? Bargnani= Darko in many ways (soft, tall, skinny Euros better coming off the bench), and Parker wouldn't be an adequate replacement for Rip. Bargnani is a better scorer than Darko but is basically a 7' three-point shooter. What Detroit should do is trade Chauncey Billups and let Stuckey start. And rumor has it Detroit wants Carmelo!! Why I dunno. They wanna play defense in Motown and 'Melo doesn't do D.

Props to T-Dot for getting Jermaine. With him, Bosh and Moon, that's a hell of a defensive frontcourt, who can score too. But the glaring hole is at 2-guard for sure.

19. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +380 / 6 / -0
    I think Bargs, Parker and a 1st with some negotiating could be enough. Rip is getting up there in age. Parker is an expiring who can fill his shoes temporarily and let's not forget the ridiculous free agent crop coming up within the coming years so it would help them clear salary. Bargnani is still a mystery but he has shown very good man defense the past couple of years and his first year he made some big shots (even though teams were giving him the looks) and showed flashes of brilliance. Bargnani's value is in the eye of Detroit's management. Maybe they regard him highly, you never know. BC still does supposedly :lol: What do they say about big men. Bargnani only has 2 years NBA experience, learning a new culture, and had some minor health issues that were taken care of just recently. Detroit is in rebuilding mode.

Also, believe it or not, Joe Dumars has always been high on JOEY GRAHAM. No joke.