1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

just a early mock draft, haven't posted in a while

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Sep 19, 2012.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    1. T.J. Mcdonald FS/SS USC- good pass defender and can lay the wood, he would be great along side weddle

2. Kevin Reddick ILB North carolina- Very smart player, very fast and he can be a thumper

3. Tavon Austin WR, West Virginia- Blazing fast, good hands, he would be an exceptional WR to
    pair with Brown

4. Silas Redd, Rb, USC - transfer from penn state could be a steal, he's one tank of a RB.

5. Desmond Trufant CB Washington- Good in pass coverage, can play the bump and run,bye bye cason

6. Cory Grissom,DT, South florida- 316 pounds put in the middle along with baby godzillia we could have a dominant Dline.

7.Devonte Christopher WR, Utah- Good hands, 6 ft 2, good pick for the 7th round

2. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    I'm gonna guess we get an OT at some point in the 2013 draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    As much as I hate the thought of AJ picking DB's, I'd say a CB is gonna be of higher priority than yet another safety.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    I keep praying sooner or later the team will finally start investing in OL but I guess not

CB is a top priority for the team, I'd say it's 1B to OL at 1A, but I won't get my hopes up

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    Based upon past drafts, it's unlikely Smith goes OL in round 1. This could be the year he goes after OL in round 2. Certainly he'll do his usual OL in mid-rounds thing. Even if he believes that Harris and Clary are go to starters, it's clear that depth is needed at OT.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    If anything I can't see how anyone logically could see our OL as good/decent. We've harped on Clary for years even after the big contract he was given but he's done little to truly earn it. Vasquez hasn't played well since being drafted and I don't see Green really making strides. Even assuming that Harris can be a solid starter and Hardwick continues (and at least they have someone they're training to take over for him in Molk), that leaves over 50% that needs an upgrade. There has to be changes made, admittedly AJ has, when he really needs it, gone out and selected offensive linemen in the earlier rounds (see Vasquez, Hardwick and McNeil), he just thinks all he needs now is developmental players and back ups. I have to imagine that's changing and if so it might come down to who's best on the board.

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +605 / 11 / -4
    I hope so, he's at least got to see that OT is a crucial position in need of upgrade.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    If he doesn't, Rivers should tell him - forcefully.

9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 19 / -4
    Hey if rivers was forceful and influential in getting spanos to keep norv......

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +715 / 17 / -3
    1st round
    CB Xavier Rhodes FSU
    OT Jake Mathews Texas A&M
    ILB Manti Te'o Notre Dame
    WR Keenan Allen CAL

In that order preferred.

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,233 / 37 / -21
    At this point if we spent all 7 picks on OTs just to find our future starting 2 I wouldn't complain.

• Like Like x 1
  12. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    i dont like Rhodes at all, hes a product of hype. Last year he was abused by sammy watkins, and this year hopkins and watkins both did work on him. i honestly think he'll be a bust..

Jake im not to sure on ive been watching and im going to keep watching,

manti is my choice hes a monster,

keenan allen is garbage, give me the kid from Tennessee

13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    lol your joking right? If I do recall, that same Clemson squad that did work, did it for one half of the game. Maybe a product of the system Stoops was running in the first half of that game, but hype? No sir. If I remember right Clemson down late couldn't throw the ball anywhere on the field, as Rhodes was abusing Watkins at the LOS. I think Clemson had.....68 yards of offense in the second half of that game?

I am not sold on the fact that Rhodes is a 1st round draft pick, but I do believe he is going to be good. He is physical, and big, which makes him a huge commodity in the NFL.

14. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    And to be honest, there are quite a few others on FSU's defense I would love to have. Bjorn Werner is just a stud, and keep your eyes on undersized Lamarcus Joyner who 100% brings the wood. Dude is a hitter and can absolutely fly around the field.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Until the combine, I'd agree with you. Guys like Brandon Roby and Dee Milliner have been demonstratively superior cover corners this season thus far (I might even throw Jordan Poyer in there, but he actually does still give up plays trying to pad his INT stats a little carelessly).

However, Rhodes is likely to blow the combine up. And thus, like Stephon Gilmore this year, he'll likely see his stock boom from very late 1st round/early-to-mid 2nd round pick to stock that tickles the Top 15 and (depending on how many QB's declare) maybe even the Top 10.

16. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    Ya once Stoops locked up Clemson's offense in the second half of that game, and allowed Rhodes to jam and the LOS, Sammy, and DeAndre didn't know what to do. Was kind of funny to watch.

This is the same Xavier Rhodes that was on Michael Floyd like a buzzard on a **** wagon in the bowl game last year. I really, really like the physicality of Lamarcus Joyner as well. Dude is only 5'9 but is nasty!

17. charger1993

Ratings:
    +75 / 10 / -2
    I am not sold on the fact that Rhodes is a 1st round draft pick, but I do believe he is going to be good. He is physical, and big, which makes him a huge commodity in the NFL.[/quote]
    you must dont remember the touchdown passes thrown his way where he was fluid enough in the hips to bat the ball, just like last year, rhodes couldnt hold watkins because of his speed, rhodes was only able to hold watkins because FSU was getting pressure forcing boyd to throw the ball sooner than he wanted to. Rhodes wasnt the factor that game, The Dline and linebackers were. The best corner back coverage wise imo is demarcus trufant

18. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    you must dont remember the touchdown passes thrown his way where he was fluid enough in the hips to bat the ball, just like last year, rhodes couldnt hold watkins because of his speed, rhodes was only able to hold watkins because FSU was getting pressure forcing boyd to throw the ball sooner than he wanted to. Rhodes wasnt the factor that game, The Dline and linebackers were. The best corner back coverage wise imo is demarcus trufant[/quote]

Well your arguement makes the case for every Cb. I mean Cb's rely on the front seven to put pressure on the QB. You just can't cover Wr's all day. You could put Champ Bailey in his prime, across from Darelle Revis, and if the front get's no pressure, Rivers, Brees, Brady, Manning's, throw all day on them. They both go hand in hand. By Rhodes being big enough, and fast enough, to jam Watkins at the line, caused enough disruption in the timing that Boyd had to hold onto the ball longer allowing the front 7 to get more pressure,.

And just in case you must don't remember. Watkins, and Hopkins are two of the fastest Wr's in football. Not many corners can stay with them for more than a couple of seconds.

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629 / 39 / -9
    Let's see, our biggest areas of need are CB and offensive line. You draft a CB in round 5, and don't draft a lineman at all. Further, you draft a WR in the 3rd and 7th when we're 4 deep in receivers whose rights we hold for the next 3 years. Why not just draft 7 QBs?

20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    you must dont remember the touchdown passes thrown his way where he was fluid enough in the hips to bat the ball, just like last year, rhodes couldnt hold watkins because of his speed, rhodes was only able to hold watkins because FSU was getting pressure forcing boyd to throw the ball sooner than he wanted to. Rhodes wasnt the factor that game, The Dline and linebackers were. The best corner back coverage wise imo is demarcus trufant[/quote]
    Desmond Trufant is horribly overrated. Mechanics are lazy as hell, particularly his tackling mechanics (the guy tackles like Cro and Fabian Washington do/did). His footwork is sloppy. About the only thing he's got going for us is that he's best suited for an off-man system which is what we implement. He's far closer to being a clone of his middle brother (Isaiah) than he is one of his oldest brother (Marcus).

If you think Trufant is the best pure cover corner available, I have to question how much tape you're actually watching. Guys like Roby and Milliner blow him out of the water. Trufant's not even the best cover corner in his own conference, that honor belongs to Jordan Poyer.

21. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +166 / 2 / -0
    Id rather take a CB round 1 and switch Jammer to safety.. kill 2 birds with 1 stone... and I suspect tavon austin will be long gone come third round

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Speaking to the actual mock projected though... you're overvaluing some guys, horribly undervaluing others (Tavon Austin runs a sub-4.4 with ease and speed (particularly speed:size ratio) is typically the #1 determinant in elevating draft stock. Austin's speed + production makes him a 2nd round LOCK. That said, it's already been pointed out, we've got Floyd, Meach, Royal, and Brown locked up over the next 3 years - WR isn't a terribly high priority for this organization right now.

I fail to see how drafting another safety improves our secondary all that notably. The free agent market for CB's is pretty mediocre.

Both starting OG's are free agents in 2013 and to this point neither has really earned a new contract at a starter's wage. Clary's still garbage. And yet we're not drafting a single OL? I get that AJ doesn't use high-end picks on OL, but to not draft any? Particularly when it's been a weak point this season.

And Kevin Reddick doesn't really fit the 3-4 terribly well. He's a "straight-line" kind of guy, much more in the vein of a larger DeMeco Ryans or, more realistically, Jasper Brinkley. Stiff hips. Doesn't shed blocks particularly well. Much more of a 4-3 MIKE LB particularly for a Cover-2 team.