1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Just so you aren't surprised

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Buck Melanoma, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Be prepared for AJ to fall head-over-heels for Upshaw or Perry (my $$ is on Perry), become convinced that Buffalo at 10 and/or KC at 11 are after them, & trade up.

The only thing that could change this is if AJ gets hit by a bus before the draft. :devilish:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I dunno. I'm feeling more of a year where he gets really liberal with the future picks, realizing that he and Norv are likely gone without positive results - and if that's the case what the hell does he care if his successor has a full compliment of draft picks to work with.

We'll trade up in one of the rounds for certain, I'm just not sure whether it'll be the 1st. I'm more feeling the 2nd - at the expense of a future 2nd and possibly another 2012 pick - and probably for some DB that would have been there or close to it at our natural pick - meanwhile when we hear the announcement of the tradeup, we as the fans will be all excited and hopeful because a key OL prospect has fallen to the 2nd for whatever reason only to be ultimately deflated when the pick is made.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Wouldn't it require him to be liberal with future picks in order to meet my scenario?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    If is going to go out and spend money on a pass rusher and SS in FA this year and use our #1 on a different need (OL or DL)
  5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    nahhh! ;)
  6. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings Received:
    +112 / 3 / -0
    Whatever AJ does will upset most folks here ,me included:whistling:
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    If your to believe Kevin Acee who had a big article that suggested AJ admired Courtney Upshaw in today's UT, then you might have some proof. But it should be noted with the exception of Rivers & Mathews, AJ doesn't have a history of going after people he showed a great amount of attention on.
  8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    My prediction has absolutely nothing to do with that tool Acee.

Here's an interesting mock that has Kuechly falling to us.

I'd be a creamy mess if that happened. :abq2:
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    I'd have a hard time believing we'd take Kuechly over Perry in this situation, even assuming Kuechly is the BPA. This would also create quite a log jam at ILB even assuming we get a rotation with Spikes & Mouton going.

If he's absolutely BPA and Perry & Upshaw are off the board, then I could see getting him. But even then i'd think long and hard about hitting other needs like DB or OG
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,103 / 34 / -21
    I dunno, we didn't trade a single pick last year...
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    True, but last year is a bad benchmark for anything. The draft was held before free agency for the first time in when? And we had how many FA's at varying levels (starter, depth, expendable). Last year was the first year we saw AJ really seeming to value floor over ceiling on players because it seemed like he needed to safeguard around us potentially not being able to re-sign (or him not being willing to pay what it would take to re-sign) some of our own FA's - or other available FA's.
  12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Spikes is old, Mouton completely unproven,what else is there besides Butler? Bird? Gakhar? I wouldn't stake the future on those guys.

Kuechly is the type of guy who is basically NFL-ready, fundamentally strong, very savvy, & a hard worker.

What's not to like? Perry & Upshaw are both good athletes & football players, but you never know how they'll transition to a 3-4 OLB. That's almost ALWAYS a crap-shoot unless the draft pick is coming from that scheme/position.

AJ is highly unlikely to draft a tackle at 18, much less a guard. And his track record at DB is suspect at best.

I'd take the guy that I know can play where we want him, especially since at 18 he'd quite likely be the BPA.
  13. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,423 / 19 / -4
    More of it is a question of what is available on the boards when we come up. While OLB might be a crap shoot it is also a desperate position of need as of right now. We must have more pass rushers. With four ILBs on the roster, one a solid vet, one an emerging star and two unknowns really, we still are in better shape there then we are at OLB. And as regarding drafting an OL that high, AJ does draft for need. If we need a tackle or guard and the top OLB are off the board, I very well imagine AJ will draft for need more then just BPA. It could be though he thinks we need an ILB and Kuechly would be the selection, but i think an OL is more likely out of need (unless the Gaither/McNeil/Dielman thing gets resolved)
  14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
  15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    2012 NFL Mock Draft: San Diego Chargers Projected To Pick DE Nick Perry

Feb147:44p
    by Eric Stephen

Link
    The USC Trojans have had 15 first-round picks in the NFL draft over the last 10 years, and the 2012 draft figures to add two more to that list. All-American left tackle Matt Kalil will likely be a top five pick, and he is expected to be joined in the first round by a fellow junior, defensive end Nick Perry. In the latest 2012 NFL mock draft at SB Nation, Perry is projected to be picked 18th by the San Diego Chargers.
    "San Diego could pursue Mario Williams in free agency. Of course, Williams might prefer to return to the outside in a four-man front," wrote Ryan Van Bibber at SB Nation. "Norv Turner needs help in the pass rush, along with a few other things, in his one last shot at credibility in San Diego."
    Perry had 9.5 sacks as a junior in 2011, starting all 12 games for the Trojans last year. The defensive end had 21.5 sacks in his three years at USC.
  16. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings Received:
    +72 / 10 / -2
    nah i wouldnt want Kuechly wait till next year and lets get Manti Teo