1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Kevin Acee preparing fans for Arians signing?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    Just a hunch........ ;)

[​IMG]UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    @dirtbags90Check out his actual record & playoff appearances. He won a Super Bowl, yes. But there is risk he's more legend than substance.

[​IMG] Floquet@kfitty1
    @UTKevinAcee Gruden isn't a "winner"? Hmm...he got that ring on Ebay, maybe?

1h
    @kfitty1 I didn't say Jon Gruden wasn't a winner. He had .541 winning percentage, six winning seasons in 11 years.

1h
    [​IMG]chris kness@Diane101098
    @UTKevinAcee @kfitty1 Arians is the flavor of the month. Pitt dumped him and Indy's "lucky" year shouldn't make him a top choice.

41m
    @Diane101098 @kfitty1 How did Pittsburgh's season go? How did Rothlisberger feel about Arians going?

39m
    [​IMG]Kevin Floquet@kfitty1
    @UTKevinAcee Said I like Arians, but if you're looking for proven "winner", Gruden has done it as a HC. Winning as OC.proves nada, ie- Norv

32m
    @kfitty1 So Arians gets no credit for what he did this year? The Colts did it all on Chuck Pagano's spirit?
  2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,102 / 34 / -21
    My only concern about Arians is how long it took him to get here.

Even after an 11 win season you gotta wonder if he has the leadership gene.
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Exactly who I don't want..

Guessing the interview with Gamble didn't go well, and I'm guessing Telesco will be GM. Awesome, classic Chargers if this happens.

But then again its Acee, he's tweeted before how much he loves Arians.
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Mine more lies in that both programs he's being touted for working at had absolute trash... ok not "trash" but definitely porous OL's and considerably more mobile QB's than Rivers is. Luck's stats and all are nice this year, but when he was averaging 50 passing attempts per game he should be putting up high stats - and when your OL is that bad you shouldn't be putting your QB in the position to have to throw that often.
  5. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +118 / 4 / -1
    The one hope i still have with Arians being a HC, is that i read Acee saying somewhere that they were looking for a "hands off" type HC whos just a team leader, so they wont have Arians calling the plays. And Arians is well known as a guy who players will fight for and give it their all for, and is a respected guy in the clubhouse. Everyone seems to love him, so hopefully they'll have Arians as a team leader, and he'll bring in someone else to call plays and actually run the offense. So theres at least that...We can only hope at this point...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    In defense, I tweeted about four or five different independent scouts about who their honest opinion was we would be smart to look at, and all save one listed both Arians and McCoy. So maybe there's something we're not seeing that's showing well behind the scenes. The Frisco and New Orleans offenses under Mike McCarthy weren't anything special, but he's turned out to be a pretty darn good coach. Same could be said for Payton's offenses in Dallas (good, but nothing to write home about) and they had Owens when he was still in his prime. Pete Carroll - great college coach when he had the largest/strongest recruiting pipeline west of Texas, but otherwise pretty mediocre pro coach prior to that.

I'm trying to keep an open mind (and not just because I figure if I try and warm myself to Arians then maybe we'll see someone else come our way).
  7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I'm a little confused, because according to one of my most reputable sources,
    Berry Passionate Frozen Yogurt
    is the legitimate Flavor of The Month!

Berry Passionate Frozen Yogurt.png
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    What worries me is, Acee says Telesco "rebuilt the Colts' roster". And yet, when you look at their roster, you say how the hell can this team be 11-5? There SOS was ****, and in those 3 loses, 2 were blowouts to the Jets and Patriots, and a double digit loss to the Texans.

I understand the open mind, but his first two years as OC in Pitt, he had the 17th and 22nd ranked offenses. And his best finish was 7th in 2009, and that team didn't even make the playoffs. Other than that his offenses were mediocre/middle of the pack. He served as a HC in college in the 80's for Temple and he had one winning season in 6 years.

And look at where Payton and McCarthy were in there careers.. Young and upcoming, two teams took a gamble, and two teams won a Super Bowl. We won't take a chance on an upcoming guy, that's not how Spanos works.
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    There are unknown unknowns. ;)
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    that unknown will unfold tomorrow..
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    He's referring to Telesco under Polian. And "rebuilding it" starting from when Bill Polian started running the show with Telesco as his (eventual) head scout. So we're talking 1998 to 2011 Colts - very largely building through the draft (Peyton, Edgerrin James, Mike Peterson, Rob Morris, Dave Macklin, Reggie Wayne, Ryan Diem, Freeney, Dallas Clark, Robert Mathis, Cato June, Bob Sanders, Jake Scott, Kelvin Hayden, Tim Jennings, Antoine Bethea). The problem is that after they won the Lombardi, their drafts turned decided to crap. Now I'm not sure if that was Polian falling off, his son Chris getting more influence (Bill had stated that when Chris was initially hired he - Chris - was largely GM in an "administrative" capacity and left the day-to-day work to him and Telesco), or what. One thing that does concern me is that Mathis and Jake Scott are the only guys picked in the 5th round of later by Polian/Telesco who ever achieved anything worth mention and both of them were 5th rounders. So it doesn't speak worlds of their ability to unearth late round gems - though some of that could have been on a coaching staff's inability to develop talent too. The only exception to this was them signing Jeff Saturday off of Baltimore's practice squad.
  12. Kj1551

Kj1551 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +12 / 4 / -0
    I want whisenhunt if we're taking a former Pittsburgh OC
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I mean Telesco and co. had a nice draft this year as well, but when your generally picking first almost every round you should have a pretty solid draft.

But, just Telesco becoming the GM is 50/50, I would put our chances with Arians at 50/50 as well, even lower. For starters, the guy is hospitalized still. Not to mention almost every team with a coaching vacancy has Arians at the top of the list based off hype. Maybe we are missing something, but I have a feeling there is a reason why no team is biting on the Telesco/Arians package.
  14. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +259 / 4 / -2
    Yeah, but look closer....

Berry-Passionate-Frozen-Yogurt2.jpg
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Trevor Phillips Enterprises

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    SOS helps but a weak SOS doesn't turn a 2 win team into an 11 win team on its own.
  16. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    No question, it's an impressive turnaround, and not due entirely to SOS.
    However, when you look at their season, game by game, it may be the least impressive
    11-5 record ever: Eeking out tiny wins over horrible teams...getting clobbered by good teams...
    then getting trounced by an unimpressive, reeling Ravens team that had lost 4 of 5.

I just can't get excited about Arians based on this brief, weird run.
    Who knows, he could end up being a great HC somewhere...
    but I sure wouldn't bet on it based mostly on the 2012 season (which has made him into Berry Passionate Frozen Yogurt) Never mind a "flu" bad enough to make a coach miss a playoff game,
    and then back in the hospital a day later (?) Hmmm...maybe Chucky's not soooo bad... :p
  17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    All of the observations on coaches I'm reading in this thread begin from the same flawed premise-- fans give coaches way too much credit for wins and losses. Belichick is considered a coaching god who can do no wrong, but before the emergence of Tom Brady, he had a mediocre track record as an HC. Belichick is also thought to be a defensive genius, but his teams have had crappy defense for the last 7 or 8 years.

The bottom line is that there is no single right formula for building a SB champion. A mediocre coach can win a ring with the right team. And some very good coaches never have the success they deserve because their players let them down. Also, the right coach for one group of players might not be the right coach for another.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  18. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    The problem we had from 2006-2010 was having a mediocre coach fail to win with a talented team. Frankly, I think that what the fans are looking for at this point is a HC who understands how to manage the clock and how to coach situational football. It would also be nice if our players could block and tackle.
  19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    2006 14-2 lost in divisional round
    2007 11-5 lost in AFC Championship Game
    2008 8-8 lost in divisional round
    2009 13-3 lost in divisional round

Clearly, the 2006 Marty-coached team had no business losing to the Pats. They were the vastly superior team, and it took an amazing stream of incredible f*ck-ups for them to lose. The 2007 team lost in the AFC title game to a 17-0 team with no LT and a severely hobbled Rivers and Gates. That's hard to blame the coaches for. The 2008 team lost to a superior Steelers team as they should have. The 2009 team had no business losing to the Jets.

The 2010-12 teams have been a mess. But Norv took the team to the playoffs his first three years. They won playoff games in two of those seasons. I don't think we need to re-write history to make Norv's playoff performances as coach seem worse than they were.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    So the opponents Arians faced while he was the interim head coach, the combined record is 73-103, or something around there, I posted it in another thread I just can't find it. And it included a spanking from the Jets and Patriots. And they only had 9 points in that Jets blowout, all FG's. And in the Patriots game the Patriots scored 14+ points after the first quarter, including a 21 point 4th quarter.

8 of his 9 wins were within a touchdown and a good chunk were by FG's. If you watched the Colts from time to time this year, they were playing from behind in almost every game, and barely getting by opponents with terrible records (Titans, Jaguars, etc.)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    When that 2 win team was built (particularly their offense) around Peyton Manning and suddenly had to perform without Peyton Manning... yes it does.
  22. two1

two1 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +5 / 1 / -1
    I refuse to give norv credit for those two to three years after Marty. Those teams were still his work and his effort. Norv was just babysitting and slowy starting to corrupt the team along with aj. In the end the two of them destroyed a team that was on the vergeof the sb to not e
  23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    I refuse to give Marty so much credit for those last two years of that team he bequeathed to Norv. Marty was a glorified cheerleader by the end of his tenure here with Cam and Wade doing the heavy- and mid-level lifting.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    Huh? Are you talking about the fall from before and after Peyton?

Strength of schedule alone doesn't make a 2 win team an 11 win team. It just doesn't.

Crappy teams are crappy teams because they also lose to other crappy teams. 11 win teams that are overrated due to a weak SOS are 11 win teams because they're still good enough to beat the crappy teams on their schedule, so there was still some big improvement on that team even if it isn't the 11 win playoff team improvement that's displayed on the surface.

And let's not pretend this is all on Luck falling into their laps. Peyton Manning's Colts finished 3-13 his rookie season.
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings Received:
    +2,680 / 44 / -26
    The Chiefs played in a crappy division....... didn't seem to help them that much. ;)
  26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings Received:
    +1,567 / 27 / -1
    That kinda helps my point.

If all it takes to win 11 games is a weak SOS one would think the Chiefs would have finished a little better.

I count 8 games on KC's record against teams with losing records, and they beat one of the teams not on that list.

I do realize I'm oversimplifying this a bit, but I'm doing so to make the point. You don't win 11 games on a weak SOS alone. That Colts team had marked improvement.
  27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    You already know that I somewhat agree with you, Leo.
    But I also think that Andrew wasn't the only Luck the Colts had this year.
    Yes, they won 11 games, but I wouldn't call them "an 11 win team" because that implies a better
    team than I saw in 2012...and I'd feel comfortable wagering that the 2013 Colts will not win 11 or more...
  28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    All on Luck? No. It was a combination of a number of things: Luck, SOS, luck (as in not the QB but pure chance), pure grit, some teams rolling over and doing themselves in, etc. The point is that that team in 2010 was held together and made to look considerably better than it actually was by Peyton Manning. With Peyton Manning out and Curtis Painter in, the guys who were still quality players still produced at their usual rate (Wayne, Freeney, Mathis, Bethea), but their production didn't amount to squat in the win category because without competent QB play in this league you're not going to win even with a team with a good deal of individual talent on it (see Kansas City this season).

The glut of that Colts team was neither as bad as the 2-win 2011 season indicates, nor as good as the 2012 11-win season indicates, but rather somewhere in the median between (6-7 wins, i.e. slightly below average). Pythagorian win theory suggests this and will likely be proven to be the case next season unless the Colts go on a massive spending spree with the decent-sized chunk of available cap they have (though that doesn't fit the team-building philosophy they have there).
  29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,102 / 34 / -21
    Agree, I think the only way they get to 11 wins again (even if Arians were to stay) is if Luck takes a huge step forward into the elite level, they FIRE GREG MANUSKY, and they have a few draft picks start panning out. Its really not a very talented roster, which is why I was and still am a little skeptical of Telesco.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +1,363 / 36 / -16
    I don't know, LBC...
    Usually I love your stuff...but "luck (as in not the QB but pure chance)" following
    "Andrew wasn't the only Luck the Colts had this year" etc.
    You know, I'd have kindly said yes if you'd asked to re-post my 11:02 Pulitzer candidate...:D