1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

King Dunlap, Chad Rinehart, Jarret Johnson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings Received:
    +3,684 / 39 / -8
    http://boltbeat.com/2013/10/28/king-dunlap-chad-rinehart-jarret-johnson-back-field/

It seems that the BYE week was good for the health of some of the San Diego Chargers. Donald Butler still is not on the practice field, but players that were on the sideline last week were able to make their return.

King Dunlap suffered a concussion in the last game against the Jacksonville Jaguars, but he was able to get onto the field for practice. Nice to have the big tackle back on the left side for the team. Hopefully he will be able to stay healthy for us though. He has already gone down a couple of times this season.

Chad Rinehart is finally back at left guard for us. He was out with a toe injury, but he was able to join in on practice today. Johnnie Troutman did a solid job as the starter while he was out.

Jarret Johnson was back on the practice field today also. He had sat out the last couple of games with a hamstring injury, but he participated in practices last week and looked like he would be able to rejoin the team in Jacksonville. He should be on the field against the Redskins on Sunday.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    is Donald Butler entering the "injury-prone" zone?
  3. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Certainly, and will hurt his chances significantly getting his "pay day". Once again, Telesco looks like a genius not getting a deal done before the season. But, I will conclude, he is a vital piece to this defense moving to the future, but if he is asking anything close to Sean Lee or Brian Cushing (Even though Cushing is heading into that same argument) money, no thanks.

Ever since he's become a starter he's had this nagging groin injury. I fear it may need surgery this year.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,422 / 19 / -4
    Butler has had a nagging groin injury all this year, and it shows. I still want him locked up but as was mentioned by SuperCharger92, this means he won't get AS BIG of a payday as he might've been hoping for. I want to keep him on the team because the Chargers are a better team with him.

I'm glad Dunlap is back but I'm very very concerned about if he can handle any more concussions.
    Good to see Rhinehart back, can we trade Clary now?
  5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 7 / -1
    Does Rinehart come back in now and Troutman goes back to bench?, Troutman has looked really good in spells but has had his "WTF was that" moments too.
  6. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Comes with being a rookie, but he has far more better moments than bad.

I even believe Troutman has outplayed Rinehart, but Rinehart is better than Clary. So I would start both Rinehart and Troutman right now at the OG positions.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    I can't believe Dunlap suffered another concussion. Mild or not it was still a concussion. He has anything close to another one he might be out of football for a while.
  8. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Would love to see Ingram back...tick tock.
    It'll be interesting if we ever have all the starters on D healthy, we're gonna need 'em.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +175 / 2 / -1
    Agreed. Even though he was reportedly laughing it up with the boys in the locker room after the game, the docs might not care that it was more a mini brain sprain than a full blown can't-remember-your-dog's-name concussion.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 7 / -1
    Now that would be a surprise. I wonder will Joe D/Mike Mc make that call. The way things are going Clary could actually end up playing RT again if Dunlap goes down.
  11. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +175 / 2 / -1
    I kind of like how our O-line is performing under the new scheme. We're getting the job done. Are we relatively set for next year with these guys so we can focus our first few draft picks elsewhere?
  12. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +224 / 8 / -3
    The scheme plays a part, but Joe D may well be the most important coaching change that we made this year outside of Norv.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    I'll take Troutman and Clary. I gave schit to AJ for drafting Troutman when they needed linemen that could play immediately (and when he would have been around later) but the guy is the real deal. Still Clary hate? He wasn't as bad at tackle as fans thought but he's a beast at guard.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. Burlington Bolt Brother

Burlington Bolt Brother BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +162 / 31 / -13
    I like how the line is playing but it's a different and better line than last year. Telesco gets credit before any coach
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +224 / 8 / -3
    Telesco brought in the personnel, but I give Joe D as much credit as the GM. He's the one who has these guys playing well & showing the flexibility to cover for injured teammates. Who knows what he might have been able to do with an even slightly more motivated Gaithers?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings Received:
    +402 / 8 / -0
    if Dunlap can stay healthy for the rest of the season maybe, but I'd still like a LT in the first three rounds, if they draft a CB, an OLB and a LT (in no particular order) in the first three rounds I´ll be happy (maybe then a fast WR, then RB end then BPA), good thing next year they won´t draft a QB :) in the latter rounds
  17. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +175 / 2 / -1
    I really hope we can hang onto Joe D long term, like Steelers did with Dick Lebeau.
  18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +405 / 7 / -1
    I give Clary all the credit in the world for being a fighter, a tryer, a guy who comes to work and gives 100% every time..... he's a good guy to have in your O line squad.

(but I'd never call him a beast at guard)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    From PFF.com. (Note this is only through the first 4 games)

12. San Diego Chargers: +4.7

Stud: It looks like Nick Hardwick (+6.8) is somewhere near back to being his best.

Dud: The idea to move Jeromey Clary (-7.6) to guard has gone about as well as expected. As in to say, it has not gone well.

Summary: They’ve made moves to get better and the proof is in the pudding. Philip Rivers is happier and his pocket is a lot cleaner. The tackles are doing a nice job and they’ve got better than expected play out of fill-in Johnnie Troutman. They’re young and on the rise.

To call Clary a beast is just incorrect, at best he's mediocre and not close to worth what he's making.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Agreed.

Clary needs to be cut in 2014. Rinehart needs to be re-signed, and we need to draft an athletic LT in the 3-5 rounds. I really liked Mike Harris at both tackle positions, he clearly improved from last year. We need to find a center in the later rounds who also is flexible to play guard. I like Dunlap, Rinehart, Hardwick, Troutman, and Fluker as our starters next year. Then -- Mike Harris, Nick Becton and a draft pick and free agency signing.
  21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +703 / 17 / -3
    what are your thoughts in the first 2 rounds? Im kind of torn between LT and OLB. Obviously if the 2nd or 3rd best LT s there as opposed to the 5th or 6th OLB I'd be more in favor of grabbing the LT. I understand that guys like Dunlap, Harris, Becton and Fluker have all excelled in Joe D's system, but I still am a big believer in solidifying your bookends.

I would be in favor of having a CB in this draft although I am still giving our DB's the benefit of the doubt relying on on non existent pass rush. Cox has started to show signs of the guy we brought over from Jacksonville (albeit he isn't earning his contract yet) And Wright has shown some good and some bad.

As of now I'd like to see us go

LT/OLB or vice versa
    OLB/LT
    OG/C
    NT/DE
    WR
    OLB

Just like last year the strongest position is WR and the weakest position is RB. I'd like to see us still cash in on a WR in case Floyd and DX don't return.
  22. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +505 / 13 / -3
    Right now,

1. CB/OLB
    2. OLB/CB
    3. NT
    4. OT/OG
    5. WR
    6. OG/OT
    7. C

Thought, depending on Taylor's knee, if he can come back and produce, we don't need another CB. With Cox, Wright, Gilchrist, Williams, Patrick, and Butler all vying for a spot next year the CB position will be strengthen with better LB/DL play.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,100 / 34 / -21
    I don't think we have our 7th round pick anymore, wasn't that traded for Lissemore?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +175 / 2 / -1
    I think they kind of answered my question today. O-line still needs help.
    RE: Lissemore. Didn't we give up a 7th in 2015 draft, or am I thinking of something else?