1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Kiper's 2012 Mock v1.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Buck Melanoma, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Has us taking Cordy Glenn at 18.

Don't see this unless we lose Dielman, Even then I think it's only a remote possibility.
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    San Diego Chargers

Record: 8-8
    [​IMG]
    Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia
    The Chargers fell apart up front this past season, mostly due to injury, and Glenn is one of those really attractive picks who can help you immediately because he can play pretty much everywhere. That's what he did during his time at Georgia, as a dominating guard who also has worked on the edge at a high level. Glenn is a safe pick, and the Chargers simply must do something up front to help Philip Rivers get comfortable again. He struggled in 2011, but his problems started up front.

Michael Floyd and Nic Perry were selected immediately after. DeCastro was off the board at 14 to the Cowboys & Upshaw went to the Bills at 10.

There is some validity to the point that the biggest priority is to keep Rivers upright and protected. The OL might go through a major overhaul if Hardwick/Dielman leave. The tackles might be set with McNeil/Gaither, and ironically I think we will be ok with either Mrzucowski/Baxter at center (and that money could be used for a defensive player). We could use an upgrade at either guard, Green played alot better as the year went on and Vasquez has been so-so at best. Maybe though we could go into free agency and get Ben Grubbs to be the upgrade?

I think its possible for this selection but only if Perry/Upshaw are both off the board, and even then I wonder if they wouldnt select BPA on Defense
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +937 / 15 / -1
    Kiper never projects what teams will do or are likely to do; he projects what HE thinks teams should do. This pick is pretty much evidence of that. Unless Mel would like to go back and show me when AJ has ever spent a 1st round pick on an offensive lineman. Or anything higher than a 2nd (and that was to get our "franchise" LT in one of the shallowest OT classes in recent memory) on one? And yet, he's going to spend a Top 20 pick on what? A RG (Glenn's better fit is at OG - he doesn't have the feet to play tackle without some major reprogramming of fundamentals) or RT? Really?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    lol, it's actually hillarious to me to see his picks anymore. To be honest I normally wouldn't comment on Kiper's picks because he will put out 35-40 or more mocks before draft. When you put out that many mocks, eventually you are going to have some of the correct picks.

No worries here. Mel Kiper knows as much about mock drafting as I do kniting.
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Personally I think Mel is a legend in his own mind.

Kinda like matilack.
  6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    Hahahahaha!!
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,107 / 34 / -21
    Well history speaks for itself. :tup: haha

And really? Are you so immature that you want to start off on this note again? Maybe you could do the grownup thing this time, and wait until we actually disagree about something.
  8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    he's a legend in his own mind and own hair
  9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,107 / 34 / -21
    I guess its human nature to hate on the guy, but if we're being honest he's made just as many good and bad calls as most GMs.

I have a decent amount of respect for someone who can put his opinions on the national stage in the era of message boards, blogs, and twitter where you have so many assholes who sit behind a keyboard and spew hate just for the sake of it. You ever read those comments on ESPN articles? WOW.
  10. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    I don't have any hate for him regardless, him or todd mcshay
  11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,107 / 34 / -21
    I didn't mean you, I was just speaking in general, thinking out loud.
  12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Riiiiiiight.

That wouldn't qualify as gum-flapping, would it?
  13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,107 / 34 / -21
    Not sure why you have to turn everything into a pissing match...:coffee:
  14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    Just tired of your consistent bitching about everything, turning every conversation into Norv's fault & how you're right.

You're the unemotional one? Go back & look at your posts in nearly every recent game day thread. They sure sound detached & loaded with fact.

Let someone load up on your boy Mathews a little & you come out swinging like a schoolgirl with a crush. If it happens to be someone who doesn't post here regularly, then you play off their opinion with the whole "you barely post here" retort.

No more pissing matches here. You're quickly showing yourself to be a joke to the folks here who actually DO have logical arguments.
  15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,107 / 34 / -21
    I have a few iron clad convictions, and until someone gives me a reason to doubt them I will always defend them. I think the reason it may seem like I'm bitching is because I don't often chime in on the topics where everyone is in agreement......those are boring.

:confused: And I was plenty hard on Mathews this season when he was fumbling and getting nicked up, I even mentioned we should think about drafting another RB (similar to Mathews) who could push him, and carry the load when he gets hurt and if he can't get over the damn fumbling issue. On the other hand.....the man is headed to the Pro Bowl if the Ravens win this week, the talent is there, so instead of ripping me maybe you could man up yourself and show some humility on that issue.

Go ahead and give me an example of a logical argument that I brushed off. You're doing a lot of accusing and I'd like to see some evidence.
  16. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Good chance we do grab another RB in the draft. Can we stay status quo knowing there is an issue with health and fumbles? RB Lamar Miller will go to high in the draft but this is the type of second back we need.
  17. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    You mean like a David Wilson? ;)
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
  20. CoronaDoug

Ratings Received:
    +814 / 14 / -3
    Nothing like consistency...

[​IMG]San Diego Chargers: Mark Barron, SS, Alabama [​IMG]
    The Chargers had a huge hole at strong safety last offseason, and they decided to take a chance on Bob Sanders. That didn't pan out too well, so A.J. Smith will have to find another upgrade to his beleaguered secondary.

Mark Barron, whose stock has risen in the past couple of months, can now be considered the top-rated consensus prospect available who makes sense for San Diego.

Pick change; previously Nick Perry, DE/OLB

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php

18 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS: MELVIN INGRAM, OLB, SOUTH CAROLINA
    [​IMG]
    Scouting Report
    Just a few short years ago outside linebacker was among the Chargers team strengths. However, Shawne Merriman was sent packing and Larry English has failed to live up to his first round billing so now San Diego is left with a bunch of aging veterans and journeymen at the position. Needless to say the Chargers must find an outside linebacker who can bend off the edge in their odd front to bolster an anemic pass rush. No prospect improved their stock more this season than South Carolina’s Melvin Ingram, who entered his senior campaign with a mid-round grade but is now firmly in the first round mix. The versatile Ingram could conceivably contribute at defensive end, defensive tackle or outside linebacker
    at the next level depending on the scheme. A great athlete, Ingram seems to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time to make the big play and that is a dimension the Chargers front seven is currently lacking. San Diego could also use a strong safety such as Alabama’s Mark Barron since the Bob Sanders experiment didn’t work out and if injuries force either Marcus McNeill or Kris Dielman into retirement, which is a real possibility, the offensive line would instantly become a huge concern as well.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-B.php

San Diego - Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC
    Applying pressure off the edge has always been a key part of the Chargers defense, and they arenÕt getting the production they need. Perry is a fine pass rusher, but also brings a toughness to the field that the Chargers also need.
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/2012/nflmockdraft.html

18[​IMG]

TE

CLEMSON

Injury-prone Antonio Gates needs someone to spell him and the Chargers need depth at the position to keep the offense rolling should Gates, who's aging, need to be spelled or get hurt.
  21. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,107 / 34 / -21
    These mocks are depressing, I don't like any of the players selected for us, all decent players but with serious questions.

Its time like this that those last 3 MEANINGLESS wins get on my nerves. We'll be banking on another Amukamara'esc drop on draft day, but of course AJ blew that one.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    I think somebody we want will drop, be it David DeCastro, Dre Kirkpatrick, Courtney Upshaw, we're lucky, apart from pass rush, the teams in front of us a drafting different needs than us
  23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,107 / 34 / -21
    I have absolutely no desire to see us take a GUARD in the 1st round, even if Dielman is forced to retire. Courtney Upshaw would be okay but he doesn't wow me, his first step isn't one I'd even compare to Shaun Philllips who we got in the 4th round in 2004, and lets face it he's an average tackler at best.

And I would be over the moon about Kirkpatrick, but I've seen mocks with him going as high as 7. Hopefully the weed thing scares some teams away.
  24. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    Nick Perry anyone? Last few drafts I've seen have us taking him - I'd be quite content with him. Could also help us that teams like Buffalo are moving to a 4-3, he might slide
  25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings Received:
    +2,107 / 34 / -21
    He's alright, definitely looks bigger than his measureables indicate, and he moves well. I have Upshaw higher because he has more polished pass rush moves, and after Larry English I will never undervalue what it means to have more than 1 move.
  26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9

You realize that no matter how effective Mathews is, he'll never be worth the investment we made in him, right? The Chargers could've had Gronkowski AND Dexter McCluster instead of Mathews. Did Mathews have great production this year? Absolutely. Does it matter? No, because we could've plugged virtually anyone in at RB and had similar production, especially if our O-line was better and/or we had a strong blocking/receiving TE instead of Jacob "I can't do any of the tasks of a Fullback particularly well but since I'm not totally horrid at any of them I'll be here forever thanks AJ" Hester. It's not Ryan Mathews' fault that Smitty drafted him way too high and gave up way too much to get him, but in the current NFL Era, drafting a RB 12th overall is tantamount to a 1st overall pick. I don't want a solid starter, I want an everydown elite back who commands 8 in the box if I'm going to give up what Smitty did, and RM will never be that.
    • Like Like x 1
  27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9
    If we're drafting OLB, I think it means that we've missed out on Williams. If we picked up a quality OL FA, then I'd be stoked picking up Perry in the Draft.
  28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings Received:
    +2,424 / 19 / -4
    http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php
    I like this site so I'll include their four round draft

1. San Diego Chargers: Mark Barron, SS, Alabama [​IMG]
    The Chargers had a huge hole at strong safety last offseason, and they decided to take a chance on Bob Sanders. That didn't pan out too well, so A.J. Smith will have to find another upgrade to his beleaguered secondary.

Mark Barron, whose stock has risen in the past couple of months, can now be considered the top-rated consensus prospect available who makes sense for San Diego.

2. San Diego Chargers: Kelechi Osemele, G, Iowa State [​IMG]
    The Chargers have major issues at the guard. Pro Bowl Kris Dielman is pondering retirement after a couple of concussions led to a seizure recently. San Diego had a need at the position even before that. (Don't like this pick)

3. San Diego Chargers: Jonathan Massaquoi, DE/OLB, Troy [​IMG]
    The Chargers didn't really address the rush linebacker position last offseason, opting only to sign Travis LaBoy, a rotational player. As a consequence, only one player has more than four sacks this year. San Diego will definitely look into finding an upgrade at the position.

4. San Diego Chargers: Ronnie Hillman, RB, San Diego State [​IMG]
    Philip Rivers (or if you want to be politically correct, Philip Frey) really misses Darren Sproles. Why not spend a mid-round pick on a similar-type player? (Cute)

I'll add their other editor's draft here

1. San Diego Chargers: David DeCastro, G, Stanford [​IMG]
    Walt put San Diego's need at guard in a nutshell: "The Chargers have major issues at guard. Pro Bowler Kris Dielman is pondering retirement after a couple of concussions led to a seizure recently. San Diego had a need at the position even before that." DeCastro is the top guard in the draft and the Chargers are fortunate he's lasted this long.

DeCastro is so dominant, he is worth a top-20 pick. The 6-foot-5, 310-pounder is an experienced starter who was a second-team All-American in 2010 and a first-team All-American this season. In 2010, Stanford averaged 213.8 rush yards per game with DeCastro paving the way at right guard. He was an overwhelming force for the Cardinal this year.

You could make a strong argument for DeCastro being one of the safest picks in this draft class. He is a powerful run blocker who is phenomenal at pulling and hitting blocks on the move. DeCastro is also very good at getting to the second level of the defense and blasting linebackers. He will be an asset in run blocking quickly in the NFL. Addtionally, there is no drawback with DeCastro as a pass blocker. He has a strong base and stonewalls bull rushes, including from larger defensive tackles.

DeCastro saw his best competition of 2011 when facing the University of Washington. Unfortunately, he rarely went against Huskies standout defensive tackle Alameda Ta'amu, but when DeCastro did, he beat Ta'amu on every rep. Stanford ran for 446 yards against Washington. DeCastro also had good performances against USC, Oregon and Oklahoma State.

2. San Diego Chargers: Ronnell Lewis, OLB/DE, Oklahoma [​IMG]
    The Chargers have to upgrade their pass rush. Shaun Phillips, 30, is getting older, and San Diego could use another edge rusher. Larry English ended the season on IR and has been a bust to this point.

The 6-foot-2, 244-pounder looks like he has bulked up a lot from his listed weight and probably is in the 250s. With his speed and physicality, Ronnell Lewis could be a good fit as a 3-4 rush linebacker or inside linebacker. He could move between inside and outside depending on the situation.

This year, the junior was moved to defensive end and played well. In 10 games, he had 59 tackles with 13 tackles for a loss, 5.5 sacks, five passes batted away, a forced fumble and an interception. Lewis played excellently against Texas A&M and its two very good offensive tackles, Jake Matthews and Luke Joeckel. Florida State tackles Andrew Datko and Zebrie Sanders were also outplayed by Lewis. He is an interesting prospect who flashed as an outside linebacker at the end of 2010. Lewis is a physical force who plays with violence, and is built like a truck. He had academic issues and didn't play in Oklahoma's bowl game this year.

3. San Diego Chargers: LaMichael James, RB, Oregon [​IMG]
    The Chargers could use some depth at running back and a young back to pair with Ryan Mathews. Getting more out of their running game would take some of the pressure off Philip Rivers and help keep San Diego's defense on the sidelines.

This season, James had 1,805 yards rushing and 18 touchdowns while averaging 7.3 yards per carry. He also caught 17 passes for 210 yards and a touchdown. The junior dislocated his elbow and missed two games, which raises fresh concerns about his durability. Running backs typically fall in the draft, and the 5-foot-9, 185-pounder did not play well in two consecutive games against top defenses, Auburn (2010) and LSU (2011).

James led college football with 1,731 yards rushing and 21 touchdowns in 2010. For his career, he averaged 6.6 yards per carry while also demonstrating some receiving ability with 51 catches for 586 yards and four scores.

4. San Diego Chargers: Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State [​IMG]
    The Chargers could use more than one edge rusher for depth.

McClellin's stock has tumbled since he weighed in too light at the Senior Bowl. At 6-foot-3, 248-pounds, McClellin is on the lower end for a 3-4 outside linebacker, and definitely is too small to play defensive end in a 4-3 defense. He should add weight to be an edge rusher in a 3-4.

McClellin started off this season extremely well with a huge performance against Georgia, recording six tackles with 2.5 sacks. He dominated highly-touted Bulldogs offensive lineman Cordy Glenn. McClellin has good technique with a fabulous motor, production and consistency. He recorded 46 tackles with seven sacks, eight tackles for a loss, a forced fumble and a blocked kick in 2011.

In 2010, McClellin had 9.5 sacks with 13.5 tackles for a loss, 30 tackles, one interception and one forced fumble. Aside from playing as a traditional defensive end, he lined up as both a stand-up rush linebacker and an inside linebacker. (I like this pick a lot)
  29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings Received:
    +408 / 17 / -4
    AJ should be fired immediately if he takes Barron at 18.

Once again, Chrepinsky craps the bed.
  30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings Received:
    +627 / 39 / -9

If AJ takes Barron at 18, he will have already been supposed to be fired, as that would mean that he had failed to sign Branch as a FA.