1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Kris Dielman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by daniel5678, Nov 10, 2005.

1. daniel5678

daniel5678 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    The Charger's o-line is one of the best in the NFL. Dielman has done a fantastic job since taking over Fonoti's spot. He is not as dominant as a run blocker, but he is definitly better than Fonoti as a pass blocker.

Now is he Pro Bowl calibur? He must be, if he is getting recognition from Dr. Z. We don't get to watch how other guards are doing, and folk's like Dr. Z do. If the Chargers continue to win, I can honestly see these Chargers go to the Pro Bowl.

Drew Brees
    Donnie Edwards
    LaDanian Tomlinson
    Lorenzo Neal
    Antonio Gates
    Jamal Williams
    Kris Dielman
    Mike Scifres
    Nate Kaeding >He's only missed 1 FG (Actually it was blocked)
  3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +709 / 2 / -0
    Dielman gets job done

http://www.middletownjournal.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2005/11/11/mj1111dielman.html

He sports long, bushy hair and a scraggly beard. That nasty gash on the bridge of his nose — courtesy of his tight-fitting San Diego Chargers helmet — serves as a badge of courage.

Put an obstacle in front of Kris Dielman and he doesn’t hurdle it. Big Kris simply crushes it like all the defensive linemen he’s punished the past seven games as the Chargers’ starting left offensive guard.

The third-year veteran from Indiana University and Troy High School got to the highest loop in the land the hard way — as a non-drafted college free agent. But his grip on left guard is so strong it would take a 20-mule team to drag him off the No. 1 spot on the depth chart.

“Unless I’m hurt bad, I’m not going to step out,” Dielman said. “I enjoy it a lot. But in my mind, I really haven’t done anything yet. I’ve worked hard and got a starting job, but I’ve still got to keep it.”

The 6-foot-4, 310 pounder replaced injured Toniu Fonoti in the fourth quarter at Denver on Sept. 18 and played well enough to earn his first NFL start a week later in ESPN’s Sunday night game against the visiting New York Giants.

Anchored between left tackle Roman Oben and center Nick Hardwick, Dielman — along with former Bengals right guard Mike Goff and ex-Ohio State star Shane Olivea at right tackle — paved the way for 268 yards rushing, third best in team history, in the Chargers’ victory.

All Dielman and his linemates did the following week was not allow any sacks for a second straight game en route to 183 rushing yards as San Diego ended the New England Patriots’ NFL-record 21-game home winning streak.

Dielman, who contained Patriots Pro-Bowl defensive tackle Richard Seymour, proved he’s no weak link. He’s rock solid. So big and strong, so rough and tough, so sound with his blocking technique, he helped push Fonoti — a 2002 second-round draft pick from Nebraska — out the door in a trade-deadline deal with the Minnesota Vikings.

“That’s my biggest thing,” Dielman said. “I know 10 other guys are depending on me to fill in and get the job done. I don’t want to let them down. Having them in the huddle, you’ve got to look them in the eye. If you’re not doing well, they’re the ones you’ve got to answer to.

“They expect me to know my role and do my thing. They are relying on me, and I want to make sure L.T. gets his yards and (quarterback Drew) Brees gets the ball out, and we work well together as a group, and keep rolling.”

“L.T.” is Chargers tailback LaDainian Tomlinson, who leads the NFL in yards from scrimmage with 1,099 — an AFC-best 835 rushing and 264 receiving.

“He’s unbelievable,” Dielman said. “He does something unreal every game. Blocking for Drew and L.T. is awesome. All you’ve got to do is give them a little space and a little pocket and they’re ready to go.”

Pushing on Oakland’s massive defensive tackles Warren Sapp and Ted Washington, who combined for only three tackles against the Chargers, was easy compared to what Dielman endured trying to break into the NFL.

He was forced to keep changing positions during his college and pro careers before he found a home at left guard. Luckily for Dielman, he had a guardian angel in Cam Cameron, the Chargers offensive coordinator and former Indiana coach.

“I was very fortunate that he was in San Diego,” Dielman said. “With him being my head coach in college, he knew I could play. He presented the opportunity, and I had to take it from there.”

Cameron, the Hoosiers’ boss from 1997-2001, recruited Dielman to IU as a tight end. After Cameron’s departure, Dielman spent his 2002 senior year as a defensive tackle, logging five sacks and 14 tackles for loss, and being voted Most Valuable Player by his teammates.

Cameron recruited Dielman again, this time to San Diego, where he signed on May 2, 2003, as a non-drafted free agent. Waived during training camp on Aug. 26, Dielman joined the practice squad a week later. He was in for quite a surprise.

Walking down the hallway toward the defensive linemen’s meeting room, Dielman felt a tug. It was head coach Marty Schottenheimer.

“Marty gave me a playbook and told me, ‘No, you go with the offense linemen; you’re a guard now,’ ” Dielman said. “That’s how I was told. It surprised the heck out of me. I didn’t have any idea.

“To be honest, it sucked to keep changing positions. At Indiana, I wasn’t too keen about it. When I got up here, they switched me back over to offense. I didn’t have much to say about it. There were growing pains, but I’ve been fortunate to have some really good coaches, teaching me how to play offensive line, fixing some (technique) and letting me go out and play.”

Activated to the 53-man roster on Oct. 16, 2003, Dielman obeyed the league’s oldest rule — never eliminate yourself. He’s living proof it doesn’t matter how you get to the NFL. It’s what you do once you get there.

“I don’t really get caught up in looking back and seeing what I’ve accomplished,” he said. “When I’m done playing, I can worry about it then.”

Residing in Pacific Beach, Calif., Dielman is an avid sports fan. He’s a regular at San Diego Padres games — he caught a foul ball this season — and attends San Diego Riptide Arena Football League games.

Earlier this year, Dielman was invited to be a celebrity judge during tryouts for the Riptide’s dance team.

Life is good.