1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

LBC's 2014 Bowl Game Primer & Prospect Watch

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The LBC, Dec 19, 2013.

1. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    Table of Contents:
    New Mexico Bowl -- Washington State vs Colorado State
    Las Vegas Bowl -- Fresno State vs USC
    Potato Bowl -- Buffalo vs San Diego State
    New Orleans Bowl -- Tulane vs UL-Lafayette
    Hawaii Bowl -- Oregon State vs Boise State
    Little Caesar's Bowl -- Pittsburgh vs Bowling Green
    Poinsettia Bowl -- Utah State vs Northern Illinois
    Military Bowl -- Marshall vs Maryland
    Texas Bowl -- Syracuse vs Minnesota
    Fight Hunger Bowl -- BYU vs Washington
    Pinstripe Bowl -- Rutgers vs Notre Dame

--------------------------------------------------
    Gildan New Mexico Bowl -- December 21, 11AM PST (ESPN)

Washington State Cougars:
    [​IMG]
    Deone Bucannon (#20) // Safety // Senior // 6'1" // 198 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: The prize of Washington State's defense is their pass-defense and more specifically their secondary. Good coverage and centerfielder type safety whose run-defense is very much a work in progress, largely because he doesn't play utilize his natural strength as well as he should. Very good quickness and body control; closes on the ball well and reacts quickly to make plays. Fluid athlete with smooth hips, can cover a lot of ground quickly, and has definite play-making ability with his hands. However, he needs a complete tackling technique overhaul - literally, you'll see, his is pretty terrible. Throws shoulder-blows, rarely-if-ever actually wraps up or makes form tackles. The tools are there to excel as a punishing, physical tackler, he just needs better coaching, hard work, and the dedication to put in the reps. Compares favorably to Jonathan Cyprien from the 2013 draft class in my opinion, and could work his way to a similar 2nd round selection as Cyprien if a team takes a shine to his upside and is willing to polish a diamond in the rough.

[​IMG]
    Damante Horton (#6) // Cornerback // Senior // 5'9 1/2" // 178 lbs.

LBC's Comments: Largely more of a UDFA candidate, but worth keeping an eye on for the game at least. Classic undersized zone-specific corner who plays faster than he'll time, but is shifty, has good change of direction ability, and could contribute as a sub-package nickel or dime back and special teamer as a pro. Has a knack for being in the right place at the right time on tipped balls and can make things happen with the ball in his hands - four career pick-6's at WSU (school record). Really poor man's Javier Arenas.

Colorado State Rams:
    [​IMG]
    Weston Richburg (#70) // Center/Guard // Redshirt Senior // 6'3 1/2" // 298 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: For the blocking scheme and offensive system we run, this is my top-rated center prospect in the draft class now that Hroniss Grasu has announced he's returning to school and, for the moment, because Anthony Steen is an unknown body of work as a center prospect. Light on his feet, quite agile, and throttles up in a hurry. Projects to be a very good pulling center at the pro level. Not without his faults, he'll need to work to improve his body control and he'll be someone to really keep an eye on at the Senior Bowl when he's finally removed from Colorado State's offensive system because he does end up on the ground more than you'd like, most of the time from over-extending himself or lunging (though some of that may be by play-design). Excellent zone-blocking center prospect because of his plus footwork and ability to slide back and forth from one guard to the other to combo block. In iso-blocking, he handles speed better than he does power in pass-pro, but he's also got a frame that will be able to take more mass, so with time he can certainly improve his functional strength to improve the later. Washington State runs out of a 3-4, so it will be interesting to see how Richburg handles having a 0-Tech line up directly over him and how effective he can be getting to the second level against a quality LB corps.

[​IMG]
    Shaquil Barrett (#56) // Outside Linebacker // Senior // 6'1 5/8" // 250 lbs.

LBC's Comments: Again another Day Three possibility. He'll surprise you with how athletic he is, especially when you look at him because he looks rather ordinary physically and he'll look a bit awkward when he runs (kind of like Rivers' giraffe-like prowess rushing the football). Deceptively quick with good long-speed (he'll likely time in the low to mid 4.8s) and fluid movement in his hips and COD ability. Pretty good snap anticipation and good first step - though there's room to improve as he has a bit of a clunky/short first step coming out of a two-point stance because he starts out too high and upright, whereas when he rushes out of a three-point stance he's low enough that he gets a much better release. That's correctable with coaching. I really like where he's at already in terms of shedding blocks - does a good job setting up guys, varies his moves, and shows a willingness to transition from one move to another to take advantage of a miscue by a blocker. Just a natural pass-rusher who isn't shabby against the run either. Not a terribly high ceiling, but he's at worst a quality rotational piece. There's some Shea McClellin in him. Helps that he's been personally mentored by Joey Porter too.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl -- December 21, 12:30pm PST (ABC)

Fresno State Bulldogs:
    [​IMG]

Davante Adams (#1) // Wide Receiver // Redshirt Sophomore (Declared) // 6'2" // 218 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: The best receiver in this draft that people aren't talking about. Former HS basketball player with athleticism for days - comparable in that regard to Demaryius Thomas. Natural catcher with HUGE hands; rarely lets balls get into his body. Fantastic jumping ability and body control - particularly prevalent in the end-zone. Reported to have a 42" vertical and runs a sub-4.5s 40. Still has room to add bulk physically which could make him an ever scarier jump-ball threat in time. Route-running is about where you'd expect for a redshirt sophomore (he's coming out because he'll turn 21 on Christmas Eve) - still raw in that department and will need to improve. Very much the raw athlete with loads of potential - but then so were Thomas and Stephen Hill. Floor is the 2nd round if he does run sub-4.5, could realistically move into the Top 20 without much difficulty.

[​IMG]
    Austin Wentworth (#72) // Offensive Tackle // Redshirt Senior // 6'4 3/4" // 300 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Versatile lineman - playing LT this season, has also started in seasons past at RT and RG - who plays nasty and loves to hit people. I like him more as a guard than as a tackle, because in the years he played on the inside if he latched on to a defender and got his hands inside they were done. The way he plays, he reminds me a bit of Logan Mankins before he got paid and stopped caring. not a great second-level blocker, but he'll look to take up two blockers whenever he can, so if he's not getting to the second level, he's freeing up someone else (more effective) to do that. I first took notice of him last year when Fresno State played Oregon and Wentworth straight up shut down Dion Jordan. Natural knee-bender with a good kick slide (though Fresno's offensive scheme rarely asks him to use it at LT; you watch, it'll seem weird, but past tape when he played RT shows he has it). Reminiscent of Cincinnati's Andrew Whitworth in that he could, honestly play LT at the pro level under the right circumstances, and is at worst a quality swing-tackle, but offers some nice potential as a power-blocking guard too.

Southern California Trojans:
    [​IMG]

Devon Kennard (#42) // Outside Linebacker // Redshirt Senior // 6'2 3/4" // 250 lbs.
    LBC's Notes: If Morgan Breslin weren't injured and thus not playing in this game I'd have done a write-up on him as well. Kennard is a finesse rusher who struggles to convert speed to power. The battle between him and Wentworth will be interesting because Kennard's particular skill-set is almost the opposite of what is typically needed to disrupt the blind-side of the Fresno blocking scheme - he doesn't do a lot to jolt pass-blockers with his hands. Past tape indicates he should be at a major disadvantage if he tries to match power with Wentworth. And if he does do what he does best, which is use his hands and length to create space and run the arc, Fresno's likely to run bubble-screens at him all day with a great deal of success. This game will be a good, but big, test for Kennard who has been the unheralded glue-guy of SC's LB corps since Breslin went down.

[​IMG]
    George Uko (#90) // Defensive Lineman // Junior (Likely to declare) // 6'2 3/4" // 285 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Added him on and will put in comments later as it's looking more and more apparent he will declare after all.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    Famous Idaho Potato Bowl -- December 21, 2:30pm PST (ESPN)

Buffalo Bulls:
    [​IMG]

Khalil Mack (#46) // Outside Linebacker // Redshirt Senior // 6'2 1/4" // 244 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: The man. The myth. I just straight love this guy. He can rush from all over the field - weak side, strong side, on stunts inside (he's lined up at DT in the past to exploit match-ups), hand in the dirt, standing up, you name it. He plays hungry - that's just the easiest way of describing it and it's a very coveted trait as far as I'm concerned because it's one of those traits commonly associated with guys like Clay Matthews, Jared Allen, and Cameron Wake. Really quick and agile with a great get-off at the snap; he's a TFL machine! Does need to get stronger, but has room on his frame to get up to the 260's without much trouble. Will need to work on not overpursuing because he can have a tendency to take himself out of plays. Pretty adept at coverage already, has a knack for knocking balls down (good jumping ability) and for pulling down INT's when dropping into zone, and can still improve. Honest to God, I'd take him over Anthony Barr if given the choice between the two. Pray with me that enough QB's declare to help push him out of the Top 10 and into the 15-20 range. I am willing to sacrifice a live goat in order to secure him.

[​IMG]

Branden "Bo" Oliver (#32) // Running Back // Redshirt Senior // 5'7 1/2" // 202 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Nicknamed "Bodozer." Short, compact downhill runner with some serious shiftiness to his game - capable of stringing together multiple cuts. Runs with great pad-level and forward lean, thus is quite capable of pinballing off defenders and getting yards after contact by the boatload. Doesn't shy away from contact, always driving for that extra yard and grinding to get the tough yardage. Seriously drool-worthy stutter-step and spin move; can stop/start on a dime. Gets downhill in a hurry - hits the hole HARD. Adept in the screen game and catching out of the backfield. Like most RB prospects, needs work on his pass-blocking but has all the physical tools and demeanor to do quite well. Reminds a lot of Albert Morris, but there's some Sproles in him too as far as the tenacity goes. Pundits will call him a UDFA candidate at this stage, but he stands a chance to get a late riser.

San Diego State Aztecs:
    [​IMG]

Bryce Quigley (#78) // Offensive Tackle // Senior // 6'4 5/8"// 300 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Once-TE-to-now-LT prospect who I think Coach D'Alessandris could take a shine to. Smart (scholar athlete) and athletic. Good feet. Natural knee-bender. Still learning the position, but learning pretty darn well on the fly. Like Reid Fragel last season, it may take into Day 3 for him to get drafted, but he's not making it to UDFA. Someone's going to take a chance on him as a developmental guy who could also line up as a third TE in goal-line packages and catch the ball as a reported-eligible receiver.

[​IMG]

Adam Muema (#4) // Running Back // Redshirt Junior (Not Declared) // 5'9 1/2" // 205 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: One of my friends whose really burst onto the internet eval/pundit scene this past year absolutely adores Muema. Like him, I came across Muema while scouting Gavin Escobar last year, but Muema kept stealing my eye. He quickly deleted the tweet he posted about declaring for the draft, but I figured there's still a decent chance he comes out so it was worth getting him included here. He's not a guy who is going to wow anyone or likely even be a standout starter. That said, he reminds me a lot of Pierre Thomas and moreso of Dominic Rhodes - highly dependable back-up RB with average tools, but plus vision and a good footballing brain.

[​IMG]
    Nat Berhe (#20) // Safety // Redshirt Senior // 5'10" // 195 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Probably a career backup/ST'er, but there's potential, and he's a guy to keep an eye on as a late Day 3/UDFA type. Shorter than you'd prefer and I don't see reason to believe he's got terribly long arms, but he's got a nose for the ball, isn't afraid to step up in the box, and has solid tackling technique. Playing the "Aztec" position in Rocky Long's defense - which is formerly the "Lobo" position that Brian Urlacher played when Long was the coach at New Mexico.
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl -- December 21, 6pm PST (ESPN)

Tulane Green Wave:
    [​IMG]

Chris Davenport (#94) // Nose Tackle (Offensive Lineman?) // Redshirt Senior // 6'3 1/4" // 330 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Bit of a throw-in just because he could be an intriguing project a coach on one side of the ball may like the cut of. Originally came to LSU as a five-star DT recruit, but fell behind the likes of other underclassmen as time passes (Michael Brockers, Anthony Johnson, Ego Ferguson) and was converted to offensive tackle, where again he ran into upstart underclassmen more refined already at the position (e.g. La'El Collins). Used his final year of eligibility to transfer to nearby Tulane who put him back on the DL, splitting his time between 0-Tech NT and 5-Tech DE. Probably a UDFA-at-best look, but offers depth and ST contributions (on all units, kicking and kick-blocking).

[​IMG]
    Ryan Grant (#3) // Wide Receiver // Redshirt Senior // 6'0 5/8" // 192 lbs.

LBC's Comments: Natural hands catcher who just needs to do a better job looking balls into his hands. Underrated receiver nationally, who gets the job done largely on timing and precision routes. Good presence underneath. Fearless over the middle. Quick hands. Good body control. Smooth coordination. Fair Top-100 pick potential.

Louisiana-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns:
    None
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    Since he isn't playing and you aren't doing a write up on him, thoughts on Morgan Breslin?
  6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    I see a better strong-side defender than weak-side, and he may actually project better as a 4-3 SAM linebacker than anything else. Makes his plays more off of great instincts and positioning than off of outstanding athleticism or physical prowess. Not particularly quick off the edge; more of a power rusher who shifts his weight to get blockers to commit one way or another and beat them. Better run defender than pass-rusher. Biggest asset is consistency and high floor, though it comes with a fairly limited ceiling. I'd liken him to a bit of KJ Wright and our own Jarret Johnson.
  7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    Sheraton Hawaii Bowl -- December 24, 5pm PST

Oregon State Beavers:
    [​IMG]

Scott Crichton (#95) // Outside Linebacker // Redshirt Junior (hasn't declared) // 6'3 1/8" // 263 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Sort of reminds me of Ingram (without the T-Rex arms), in that he plays and move all over the DL and is more of a power-rusher with good get-off but pretty average-at-best speed. With a hand in the dirt, he can play either left or right side of the line; has little to no experience operating out of a two-point stance though. Also has a tendency that makes me question his ability to be a LB at the next level (would certainly be something he has to correct): In that he goes balls-out to get to to the passer then just jogs back towards the play upfield if the QB gets the pass off with no urgency whatsoever. Almost appears more effective rushing through the interior than on the edge - largely due to lack of speed in the open field. Honestly might be a better candidate in the long-run to bulk up to the mid 280's and play 1-gapping 5-Technique in a 3-4 than OLB.

[​IMG]
    Brandin Cooks (#7) // Wide Receiver // Junior (hasn't declared) // 5'9 5/8" // 182 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Still not completely convinced he'll come out, but it's possible given that Mannion is a senior and he may not want to trust his draft stock to Brent VanderVeen's arm. If he does declare - he's this year's TY Hilton: More athletic and explosive than will be indicated his 40-time on the track, instinctive with an ability to elude tacklers, consistently gets separation and a clean release from the line, and fights for the football to make contested catches in spite of his short height (this is perhaps what I love most about Cooks' game - he just continually makes catches he has no business making). Offers added value as a returner. While everyone was on the Mike Evans Love Train for the Beletnikov Award (Most Outstanding Collegiate receiver), Cooks - the eventual award winner - was the statistical favorite to win as he led the FBS in total receiver yards, receiving yards per game; 2nd in TD receptions and receptions per game.

[​IMG]
    Rashaad Reynolds (#16) // Cornerback // Redshirt Senior // 5'10 5/8" // 190 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Average athlete who makes up for it with plus football IQ, savvy, and instincts. Much more of a zone corner at the next level than a pure man cover corner. Intelligent player; reads and reacts quickly and efficiently. Understands angles extremely well. Not overly great out of breaks, but he's good enough to function at the NFL level. Footwork is solid, but not spectacular, could be improved upon. Inconsistent tracking the deep ball in air; needs to work on getting his head around more often. He's much more of a shadowing corner than a physical presser... MUCH more. Going to need to get stronger to be effective in run-defense or as much of a blitzer - just not strong enough to get off blocks effectively right now. Top-notch intangibles; background in wrestling (which leads me to believe if he can add requisite strength he can be effective as a run-defender despite smaller size). Can return kicks. The kind of presence in the locker-room and community that front offices and coaches love. One of those Day 3 guys I'd love to get a hold of. Duffman's actually compared him favorably to our own Steve Williams.

Boise State Broncos:
    [​IMG]

Demarcus Lawrence (#8) // Outside Linebacker // Redshirt Junior (hasn't declared) // 6'2 5/8" // 245 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Boise's best defensive player. He's the guy that grabs your eye when watching them play. May be a better 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB, but would have to get bigger first and has tools that can be worked with at either position. Led the team in TFL and sacks as a sophomore. Second in the country this year in Tackles-for-Loss. Ideal LEO type position player. Fast and efficient to the tackle with little wasted movement. Needs to improve his handwork, but does a good job showing half-body and not letting the blocker get to his chest. Classic tweener. Possible character red flags as he was suspended for violation of team rules twice prior to this year (no incidents this season), including being suspended for their MAACO Bowl game last year. Will probably declare given his statistical accomplishment this season and Pederson moving on from Boise to accept the job at Washington.

[​IMG]
    Jay Ajayi (#27) // Running Back // Redshirt Sophomore (hasn't declared) // 5'11 1/8" // 215 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Seventh-most TD's on the season in the nation. A Stevan Ridley sort of back - not used much as an outlet receiver, but not a liability as a last-ditch option. Extremely raw as a blocker right now, but has the size, demeanor to do well. Runs mean, aggressive, and violent. Very good vision and agility. Not quite at Doug Martin's level, but not terribly far off and could certainly develop there pretty quickly. Will be interesting to see if he comes out early - as redshirt soph's are doing more and more these days.

[​IMG]
    Charles Leno Jr. (#78) // Offensive Lineman // Redshirt Senior // 6'3 5/8" // 298 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Sneaky Day 3 lineman who has played OT as a collegian, but may have a brighter future as a pro with a move to guard. Moves well. Consistent - rarely great but also rarely terrible. Needs to improve upper body strength in particular, so it will be interesting to see him match up against the power rusher in Crichton.
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl -- December 26, 3pm PST (ESPN)

Pittsburgh Panthers:
    [​IMG]

Aaron Donald (#97) // 5-Tech Defensive End // Senior // 6'0 1/8" // 285 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Quite literally, if Donald was 2-3 inches taller, he'd be a Top 15 lock. Even at his "undersized" stature he is flat out scary unblockable more than you can imagine. Plays interior defense a lot like Geno Atkins does - like a freaking bowling ball. Despite being shorter than the prototype (long arms make up some for lack of height), he could make for an intriguing option as a 1-gapping/penetrating 5-Tech DE because he splits interior blockers so well. Excellent handwork. Gets off the line at the snap quick and violent. Intriguing option as a guy to sub in for the NT on obvious passing downs at the next level too. May never be a Henry Melton type of every-down 4-3 UT, but I wouldn't bet against him either. Mark him down as a Top 75 pick.

[​IMG]
    Devin Street (#15) // Wide Receiver // Redshirt Senior // 6'2 5/8" // 192 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: His hype has seemingly come back down to earth form what it was at the outset of this season when some wanted to anoint him a prototype #1 WR prospect. Realistically, he's Malcom Floyd, but yet to fill out his frame. Good body control and a dependable catcher, but he's a long-strider without great speed and particularly without a lot of explosion off the line. He's lithe right now which will actually make his height a further disadvantage for him until he bulks up in terms of getting off press at the line. Has some pre-determined tendencies on his deeper routes (e.g. posts and corners) that savvy DB's will use to predict his route pre-snap. Has been guilty more than you'd like from a receiver of false-starting. Likely more quality #2 than #1, but a guy who once he's developed and added to his frame can do his damage finding holes in zones similar to how Floyd did, and can be a definite jump-ball/"go get it" threat in the red-zone.

Bowling Green State Falcons:

None
  9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    S.D. County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl -- December 26, 6:30pm PST (ESPN)

Utah State Aggies:
    [​IMG]

Tyler Larsen (#58) // Center // Senior // 6'3 1/4" // 312 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Good build, but a little soft around the middle and not filled out enough about the chest and shoulders. This has led to overall really average/"meh" strength, though that can be improved upon. Athleticism is good, more than enough to play center at the next level: Flows well, gets to the second level with ease, can get out and pull, comfortable on the move. Has a nice smooth slide in pass-pro. Reacts well under pressure and doesn't panic. Needs to work on not dropping his head so much on shotgun snaps. Inconsistent power, largely due to improper base - he doesn't get low enough. He appears to be a natural knee bender, so it looks to be a matter of effort. Which brings me to the biggest concern with him - I'm not sure how much he "wants it.' Effort is a major concern, to say he doesn't play to and through the whistle is a bit of an understatement. He reminds me a lot of KC's Rodney Hudson - same great feet - just without the fire in his belly that Hudson has. If someone can light a fire under him, he could be a really good, athletic, zone-blocking center; would likely need a year in the weight room to add strength before he'd be able to handle the position in Joe D's power-zone scheme, but his technique is solid enough eh could be functional and not a liability (if he's trying hard).

[​IMG]
    Nevin Lawson (#1) // Cornerback // Senior // 5'9 1/2" // 186 lbs.

LBC's Comments: Starting to make a late rise as the season came to a close; still probably no more than a Day 3 guy. Shift, scrappy defender that caught my eye last year when scouting his secondary-mate Will Davis. Good instincts to make up for lack of size. Heady player, sometimes a bit too aggressive for his own good. Good closing speed. Can shadow receivers on the boundary but better poised to play slot corner or in zone. Added value as a returner. Some playmaking ability - makes more leaping lateral snags than jump-ball INT's though. Needs to be a little less "handsy" - grabs at the receiver's jersey a bit too much.

Northern Illinois Huskies:
    [​IMG]

Jimmie Ward (#15) // Safety // Senior // 5'11 1/4" // 192 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Not great size, but has the frame to get bigger without sacrificing athleticism. Strength is coverage, but his tackling technique is poor far more often than it's good. In fact, beyond just working on actually wrapping and tackling (at the moment he approaches the game much more like Matt Elam does - the "just lower the shoulder and drill 'em" philosophy), he needs to clean up how and where he hits or he's going to be drawing a lot of flags at the next level. He does show potential to develop into a starter at the pro level (he can tackle - I've seen him do it - he just does it rarely). A little too content to let his teammates be the ones to go downhill at the play while he stays back as the last line of defense. This primarily shows up more in run defense, where he need to put some work in to improve his positioning. Mirrors well in coverage. Can come down and play press in the slot. Able to play the deep middle/centerfielder spot, roll coverage, and has a good sense of where plays are going. Good burst to break on the ball. Once he cleans up the tackling technique, he'll be able to contribute as a gunner on ST's. A bit reminiscent of Stuckey as a prospect, to be honest.

[​IMG]

Ken Bishop (#93) // Defensive Lineman // Senior // 6'0 1/2" // 308 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Destined to be a UDFA, but one that I expect is going to stick on an NFL roster (even if he needs to use a year of PS eligibility first). He's just a flat out explosive 300-pounder; another bowling ball type. He's an intriguing low-risk flier as a 1-gapping NT who could do damage on passing downs and ST's. The thing is, he's actually pretty darn stout at the point of attack and in terms of stuffing the run. Really strong - can stick a hand in the chest of an opposing blocker and just drive them backwards on the bull-rush. Great quickness when he gets separation. Needs to refine his pass-rushing moves, but potential is there. Short, squatty build; long arms for his height, good low center of gravity, thick upper legs. Hard-nosed, doesn't back down from anyone. Akron HC Terry Bowden called him "the best defensive player in the country."
  10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Saw the highlights of this crazy game, didn't get to tape it or gotten to it. Not really attractive game either for me, but I was wondering, if anyone did catch it, how Barrett looked?
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Will be watching Lawrence and Cooks closely..
  12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    I love Cooks. Given his production, sadly, I think he's going to put himself in a position where if we wanted him we'd have to spend our 1st because he's not likely to last to our 2nd (where I could make a case for him as a value/BPA pick on similar grounds that Allen was in the 3rd this year).
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Cooks is so underrated. If Beasley is off the board, and assuming Mack doesn't make it out of the top 10, I would trade back and take him. The guy is a pure YAC master, but also can run the deep route and make real nice adjustments to the ball. Quick and clean in his routes too, reminds me a lot of Tavon Austin, as in he lines up every where and makes plays. This would make Eddie Royal expendable.
  14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    Barrett was the standout star of that game. Two forced fumbles in the 4th quarter to bring CSU back into the game for the come-from-behind win. He's cemented 3rd round status where I'm concerned, as long as he runs like I expect him to; could even justify a 2nd round selection (depending on how deep into the round we're picking) if there's a run on pass-rushers like it's sounding like there may be (evidently scouts are clamoring about Jeremiah Attiochu who, again, should test really well at the combine and could see a jump into the bottom of the 1st round).
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    Reminds me more of Randall Cobb and TY Hilton than Austin - Cooks is a much more proficient catcher than Austin is, better catch radius, bigger hands, greater leaping ability.
  16. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings Received:
    +221 / 1 / -1
    Good read, sounds like Mack is your first choice. What do you think the chances of him falling to us would be?

On a separate note, LBC how do you know so much? Do you do this as a job? If not, you should man!
  17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    I'd still take Clowney over Mack if given the chance (questions about effort aside, Clowney is athletically one of those once in a lifetime physical prospects that you just can't pass on and you work your unit/defense around if you can get him) - however comparing OLB prospect to OLB prospect of Clowney to Mack is like comparing JJ Watt to Muhammad Wilkerson - you're getting a great player regardless, just one has much more freakish athleticism and versatility. For the position they'd play in our defense, it's like drinking Louis XIII brandy versus Macallan 18 year old single malt scotch - either way you're going to be happy and get a fantastic drink... one's just a hell of a lot rarer (and more expensive) than the other.

As far as where Mack will fall, it's tough to tell. He was only a conversation topic, from what I hear, for about one out of every 4 or 5 pro scouts coming into this college season, but that's obviously changed. If he blows up the Senior Bowl, the sky could be the limit - but unless he does, the small school factor is going to weigh in - whether some internet pundits (and the Kiper's and McShay's of this world want to admit it). Jerry Hughes had fantastic collegiate production, a combine showing that demonstrated positional versatility, and because he played in a non-AQ (automatic qualifier) FBS conference, he fell to the lower third of the 1st round. I'd wager Mack's floor is the 15-20 range, and he certainly could go higher, but without that big Senior Bowl and impressive combine, I'm not as confidence he cracks the Top 5-7 as some others are - unless some 4-3 team miscasts him as a 4-3 DE (which has happened to prospects in the past - pobody's nerfect).

Most of my info comes from watching a good amount of film myself, but also just from having friends that are trying to break into the player eval industry - be it at the media level, the pro scouting level, the collegiate scouting level. I'm good friends with the guys who run the NEPatriotsDraft and FalconsDraft.com websites, as well as Ben Albright who used to run NFLDraftMonster.com and was brought in as a guest analyst for Day 2 of the draft on NFL.com's Radio broadcast coverage this year. The site I moderate at (link is below), has become a repository for a lot of these guys (most are posting anonymously - or at least under handles similar to my us of "LBC") along with several former individual pro team interns, a small number of former college footballers, and guys who have been using the site to network and work together to help build their names as independent writers/analysts (most recently we've spawned Justis Mosqueda - now on Eric Mosso's staff at OptimumScouting.com - and Scott Carasik - co-founder of DraftFalcons.com with Tom Melton under the umbrella of sites established by James Christensen - from our ranks).

As for me... I subscribe to the old adage of "those who cannot do... teach."
  18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    Northrop Grumman Military Bowl -- December 27, 11:30pm (ESPN)

Marshall Thundering Herd:
    [​IMG]
    Harold "Gator" Hoskins (#26) // H-Back/Fullback // Senior // 6'1 5/8" // 242 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: He's a gadget-guy that largely lacks a true position at the next level, but stands a better than even chance of producing if given touches. I know some that will want to quickly call him the second coming of Delanie Walker and I can see what they're seeing when they say it. I'm not quite as convinced of that comparison; might be more inclined to call him closer to Marcel Reese - which is no slight in the well... slightest. Gator has a quick release off the line and runs his routes with aggression - I've drawn a couple comparisons to him being like an extremely graceful bull, DB's and linebackers aren't going to have an easy time redirecting him off his routes. For being a guy who is probably going to be lucky to run below a 4.6s 40-yard dash, he actually can be a field stretcher if for no other reason than he's an effective and largely-dependable receiver who is very rarely going to draw corners, instead more-often-than-not linebackers, who aren't as accustomed to defending routes up the sideline other than wheel-routes. Good catch radius. Passable lead-blocker, not great, but above average. Negligible tape as an inline blocker; not a true TE in that regard, and his lack of height/length will do him not favors there - more likely to be a chip-and-go guy than someone who can square up and hold up a DE or blitzing LB without extensive further coaching. Similar athleticism to 2013 prospect Orson Charles - I think Charles is a tad more athletic, but Hoskins is meaner and perhaps a tad more versatile.

Maryland Terrapins:
    [​IMG]
    Marcus Whitfield (#41) // Linebacker // Redshirt Senior // 6'2 1/8" // 250 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Late blooming under-sized DE; there are concerns about his ability to hold up against the run playing as a downed-lineman at the next level so he's one of those candidates that's likely going to move to linebacker regardless and - more than likely - will be a weak-side exclusively player. There are some potential late round steals on the Maryland defense that will fly under the radar because the program is so mediocre right now. Likely more of a career backup, unless he can learn to convert speed to power better. I'm really interested to see what he runs (which will probably be at his pro day, considering I don't know that he's going to garner enough attention to get an NFL combine invite) - I've seen reports varying from low 4.6's to high 4.7's - but his release off the line looks like if his long-speed is more in the realm of the later, his more important 10-yard split time should be at worst respectable. For now I'm calling him Tourek Williams with more upside and probably picked somewhere in the same vicinity (~ 5th round). Potential late riser the closer we get to the draft though. Has already been receiving NFL-caliber coaching, as the Terps' defensive coordinator is Brian Stewart - a former long-time assistant under Wade Phillips.

[​IMG]

Dexter McDougle (#25) // Cornerback // Redshirt Senior // 5'9 3/4" // 195 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Similar to Illinois' Terry Hawthorne this year, here's a prospect who will fly under the radar some in the draft because he suffered - and is still recovering from - a shoulder injury that ended his final season at Maryland, but could prove to be a hidden gem. His strength is man-coverage. Nice loose hips; very good read-and-react ability; rides the hip of his assignment well. Instincts could be a bit better, but they're far from bad - and really that may be a product of him thinking a bit too much instead of just reading and reacting (as that can tend to "pose" as poor instincts, similar to the way it did with 2013's prospect Desmond Trufant). Arms look on the longer side for someone measuring in sub-5'10" which is good and he's already filled out his frame well. Tackles very well in space - that may be my favorite part of his game because it's such an undervalued attribute by so many collegiate DB's these days. In the three games he played this season prior to the injury, McDougle notched 14 tackles - 13 of them solo tackles - and three interceptions. Plays primarily man for Maryland, but looks to be scheme diversion (could play man or zone, and does press fairly well). Added value as a kick returner.
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings Received:
    +481 / 13 / -3
    Yeah if we're talking NFL comparisons, I just thought looking at his tape, the fact he makes so many plays happen and lines up just about everywhere reminds me of Austin at WVU.

Crichton and Cooks had great games. Lawrence had a big 4 & 1 run stop, but other than that was kept quiet.
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    Texas Bowl -- December 27, 3pm PST (ESPN)

Syracuse Orangemen:
    [​IMG]

Jay Bromley (#96) // Defensive Lineman // Senior // 6'3 1/4" // 290 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Credit to my friend Justis Mosqueda for bringing my attention to Bromley and getting me to take a second look at him this season, as based off of what little I had seen of his junior tape (which I largely saw in the bits in between tracking Justin Pugh on 'Cuse's offensive side of the ball) I'd written off largely as a run-only defender. Evidently Bromley put in work between his junior and senior seasons because he's developed some nice pass-rush moves on the interior this year, and proved to be quite adept at getting to the quarterback. He's a former basketball player, now playing interior lineman and could prove to be a sneaky pick-up as a 1-gapping 5-Technique defensive end. Very quick first step for a nearly-300-pounder. He's the kind of guy you want on your team and want to see succeed as well: Team captain, a quiet leader who wears the words "Be Great" on one and "Humble" on the other of his gloves when playing, and is a recognized film-room rat. Coached by Tim Daoust who also developed 2012 1st round pick and current New England starter Chandler Jones. If he falls to Day 3, I consider him a steal - others will consider it value, but I value the intangibles much more among those late round guys.

[​IMG]
    Jerome Smith (#45) // Running Back // Redshirt Junior (Declared) // 5'11 1/8" // 218 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: What I like to call a "no frills RB." He's very likely not going to be LeSean McCoy or Jamaal Charles; I feel I can pretty much safely guarantee that. However, he's a guy that can most definitely stick as a dependable cog in a committee/stable of backs and who can come in and contribute immediately. People that scout RB's and disqualify guys who aren't homerun hitters are likely going to glaze right over Smith, but he's got definite Day 3 value as a 3-down back. While he lacks great long speed, he does get up to speed (accelerates) quickly. He's a patient runner - put bluntly, and you'll see for yourselves if you watch the game, Syracuse's line doesn't exactly excel at opening up holes straightaway this season (last was a different story) and yet Smith has piled up back-to-back 1000 yard seasons and added 11 TD's this season as a workhorse back. Good compact running style, especially for a bigger back (doesn't run too upright); nice side-step and quality even balance for a bigger guy. Effective pass-protector, recognizes and picks up blitzers well and has been trusted to be the primary block assigned to pass-rushers (versus "last-resort" detail). Not as powerful as you'd like from a bigger back - but that's me being a bit nit-picking; he doesn't hit the hole like a hammer, but he doesn't shy away from contact by any means. Not terribly elusive; can cut but doesn't have the wiggle to make guys miss in tighter spaces. Hands are largely unproven (only 13 catches on the season and not many looks; Syracuse uses Prince-Tyson Gulley primarily as their pass-catching back). A bit reminiscent of BenJarvus Green-Ellis or even Shonn Greene.

[​IMG]

Sean Hickey (#60) // Offensive Lineman // Redshirt Junior (declared) // 6'4 3/4" // 290 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: He declared, though I'm not really sure why because I think he's doing a disservice to himself unless he really needs the money. CBS has him as a 3rd rounder and I'm not sure I see why. Based off of the Clemson game and some other cut-ups (Northwester, PSU), he just looks pretty meh. He looked much better on the right side last year, just doesn't stand out on tape at all having switched to the blind-side to replace Pugh this year. Footwork looks plodding - slow and sloppy, speed rushers in the NFL will eat him alive. Doesn't appear to be terribly athletic - which is a concern since he's kind of a lithe, zone-build tackle to begin with. Seems to go to cut-block as his first approach when it should be the other way around (last resort) and his technique on them isn't what I'd call good. Appears to worth well in the "phone-booth," mauls well in closed space. That said, he doesn't really push anyone back, though he can hold the point-of-attack well if he can latch on. Creates holes by turning his man, which he can do effectively (at least at the college level), rather than driving him off his real estate. Maybe early Day 3 guy; maybe someone who could be moved to guard. I'm not overly impressed with him.

Minnesota Golden Gophers:
    [​IMG]

Ra'Shede Hageman (#99) // Defensive Lineman // Redshirt Senior // 6'5 1/4" // 302 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: If reports that I've heard/read turn out to be true (and the combine will be telling), Hageman's athleticism in relation to his size is pretty nuts (not quite Jadaveon Clowney gonzo, but also not horribly far off either); he reportedly has a 36" vertical at 310 pounds and can do a 360-degree dunk on hardwood! I've tended to buy into those reports because his burst off the line would support those claims - it's jaw-dropping for a guy his size (again, a reported 1.57s 10-yard split on his 40 yard dash - to put that in perspective, JJ Watt's 10-yard split was 1.64s). Long, long arms with really good upper body strength (reported 465 lb bench press). Does a good job splitting double-teams; really nice lateral agility for his size. Needs to be more consistent with his pad-level, but when it's proper he anchors against the run very well. Has experience playing the 0-, 1-, 3-, and 5-techniques; could project as a 1-gapping 3-4 NT in the right scheme. Former tight end who has shown he can put on weight without losing quickness or athleticism (was a 250-pound freshman). Still a ways to go on technique; getting by largely on athleticism and strength right now - and that in itself is scary, but he does need to put in time refining his technique to improve consistency. A few areas this really shows up: Handwork (doesn't shed violently enough, tries to just push-and-pull more often than not), has no counter-move in his pass-rushing arsenal (not an inside one or an outside one; needs to develop them), must protect his knees better (susceptible to cut-blocks quite a bit), and needs to more consistently use his whole body to block (i.e. his lower-body to anchor and keeps driving) as opposed to just using upper body strength. Best fit is probably as a 3- or 5-Tech, but I equate him to Michael Brockers or Richard Seymour - with his potential he could be developed at ANY interior line position and in time be a very formidable player, so long as he's willing to put in diligent work.

[​IMG]

Brock Vereen (#21) // Safety // Senior // 5'10 5/8" // 202 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Yes, he's the brother of Shane (Patriots' RB). Former corner converted to play safety, he's another guy who will flit with being a late Day 3 selection. Solid but not spectacular overall. Comfortable in both man and zone coverage. Smart, heady player. Considered one of the leaders of the Gophers defense. Quality special teams contributor.
  21. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    Fight Hunger Bowl -- December 27, 6:30pm PST (ESPN)

Brigham Young Cougars:
    [​IMG]

Kyle Van Noy (#3) // Outside Linebacker // Redshirt Senior // 6'2 1/2" // 245 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: In may ways I think he's someone that gets viewed as the also-ran in this draft. And I know the reason why I'm a fan - it's the same reason why I was a fan of KJ Wright when he came out of Mississippi State two years ago. However, as with Wright, I have concerns that he may not be the most dynamic fit as a 3-4 OLB. Can he play it? Certainly; he does at BYU currently. Is it his best fit at the pro level? Most likely not, but he's the kind of prospect I've had a nasty habit of underestimating in the past. Van Noy is a finesse rusher, but he's a pretty damn effective one. My concern is whether he's got the athleticism and, ultimately, the power to beat the longer, athletic LT's at the next level - he strikes me as more of a SOLB if he plays in a 3-4, and rather his best fit is as a move-around SAM linebacker a la Von Miller in a 4-3 or 4-3 Under scheme. That doesn't rule him out for us, but I would hope that if we drafted him we intended to then keep Ingram on the weak side. For being a finesse rusher, he is quite versed in using technique to compensate for his lack of physical strength - does a great job getting low to the ground when rushing the passer to utilize leverage. He has legitimate sideline-to-sideline speed and is quite disciplined, very rarely overpursuing. He simply, flat-out has a knack for making plays which is why I'm hesitant to count him out even if I have my doubts; potential that a savvy coordinator could figure out a way to use his unique abilities to be just as effective as guys who are more effective speed-to-power rushers (it's been done in the past with players like Cameron Wake and Robert Mathis). Adept and effective dropping into zone coverage. Has the kind of work ethic and character that I can see being coveted by our front office and coaching staff. Size is an issue - he's a very lean 245 at present and it's questionable how much more bulk/muscle he can take without affecting his speed and agility. Because of that, he has been effectively neutralized in the past by tackles and even TE's (if you recall the first half of last year's Poinsettia Bowl before Van Noy went nuts he was being effectively handled by Gavin Escobar and his lackluster blocking skills). Has had some open-field tackling issues. I'm not sure I'd roll the dice on him in the 1st round because if he's the best edge-rusher available that would seem to indicate better value has fallen at another position. But if he makes it to our pick in the 2nd and we've yet to grab a rusher, I wouldn't shy away from him there.

[​IMG]
    Cody Hoffman (#2) // Wide Receiver // Senior // 6'2 1/2" // 215 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Take Keenan Allen, subtract some (but not a lot) of his route-running prowess, add a pair of inconsistent hands, and you've pretty much got Hoffman. He's an average athlete, better in terms of body control, coordination, and high-pointing the ball than in terms of explosiveness, elite speed, or quicks. His overall athleticism suits his game just fine, but Roddy White or especially Julio Jones he's definitely not. He has a bad habit of "Floyd-ing" it when it comes to catching the ball: He'll make every difficult catch under the sun then frustrate the hell out of you by dropping ducks or allowing the defender to easily knock balls out of his hands. Biggest flaw I've noticed is that he really, really struggles getting off the press - which when you consider his size is a pretty significant concern. Reminds me a lot of Brian Quick in that regard; just doesn't or doesn't know how to hand-fight to get free and keep jammers from getting into his body at the line. Knows how to use his size, just not consistent with execution. Has the makings of a good pro possession receiver, just not sure if he necessarily fits what we need.

[​IMG]

Eathyn Manumaleuna (#55) // Defensive Lineman // Senior // 6'1 3/4" // 305 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Probably more of a prototype 3-Technique DT than a 3-4 DL, but could be a rotational piece in a 1-gapping capacity. He plays the NG spot for BYU's 3-4 formation, but lacks the girth and lower-body strength to do it as a pro. Probably best known for being the guy that got hurt (knee injury) in 2012 and allowing Ziggy Ansah to step into the 5-Tech DE spot on BYU's defensive front and make a name for himself. Tough. Good motor. Arms look a bit short. I just fear he's ultimately the wrong build for what we need. Not a bad flier prospect as a 7th rounder or UDFA. Potential ST value.

[​IMG]

Kaneakua Friel (#82) // Tight End // Redshirt Senior // 6'4 5/8" // 250 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Average athleticism. However he's got good size, comes from a school that tends to preach strong blocking technique and could be a fair red-zone threat. Again, UDFA/7th rounder flier type. Just someone to keep an eye on.

Washington Huskies:
    [​IMG]

Bishop Sankey (#25) // Running Back // Junior (hasn't declared) // 5'9 1/2" // 200 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Here's a guy I really want to be impressed with and to a degree I am, but not as much as I feel like I should be. He's a "2 steps forward, 1 step back" prospect for me, in that for each of his strengths there seems to be a bit of a reason to be tenuous about him in that department as well. He's a guy who runs a lot like Maurice Jones-Drew or Zac Stacy: Use quickness to get to the LOS, use elusiveness or power to get him into the open, and use acceleration and speed to break away. In spite of that though there's a certain apathy to his game - a bit reminiscent of the way Mathews was at first; a defender will get a hold of him and he makes very little effort to wrest himself away. Or he'll get surrounded by several defenders and spend too much time trying to fake or juke them into creating a hole/gape for him to get through, rather than just lowering his shoulder and aggressively barreling his way through (which is very anti-MJD/Stacy). Generally effective blocker - could tune some things up, but he comes out of a pro-style offense that utilizes the RB as a receiver in multiple fashions and thus kept him on a 3-down back fairly often. Bit dependent on his fullback to spring him on the edge at times. Value is in the 2nd round - I'm not sure I see a single 1st round runner in this draft class.

[​IMG]

Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (#88) // Tight End // Junior (hasn't declared) // 6'5 3/4" // 267 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: I can't help but feel like he bulked up too much - it appears to have slowed him down and messed with what appeared to be better athleticism than he's shown this season. Not that he's a bad prospect, he just appears rather ho-hum compared to guys like Eric Ebron. If he can reassert that athleticism he can return to being that mismatch nightmare he was early in his career at Washington. But without that athleticism, he's more slightly bigger Dennis Pitta than he is Gronk or Graham. Plays the position like a basketball player - in the manner that's come to be coveted - however, unlike some other basketballers turned tight ends (Gates, Graham, Cameron), ASJ doesn't have the lateral agility to make defenders miss in the manner and will be much more of a jump-ball threat than a guy that's going to make a wide-leaping snag. Had some consistency struggles. Just about every one of his flaws are coachable - the important thing is making sure he maintains that once potentially-elite athleticism he had.
  22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings Received:
    +887 / 15 / -1
    New Era Pinstripe Bowl -- December 28, 9:00am PST

Rutgers Scarlet Knights:
    [​IMG]

Brandon Coleman (#17) // Wide Receiver // Redshirt Junior // 6'5 1/4" // 220 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Intriguing size and athleticism, but there's a lot of work to be done - not much further developed than Stephen Hill was as a prospect (and Hill ran faster than Coleman likely will, if he declares). Almost entirely a vertical threat until he learns to run more of the route-tree. It's not just a lack of learning new routes that draw criticisms in his route-running, it's the routes he does know he doesn't execute crisply - sloppy cuts, doesn't plant like he should. Hands don't look to be a major issue one way or the other. What throws me a bit is that usually with these H/W/A/S type prospects, we'll see them just flat out dominate a game (typically against lesser competition) a couple times - and I've never seen Coleman do it. That gives me pause. (He did have a nice statistical game against UConn two years ago, but context shows us that most of what he put up was in garbage time against prevent defense). Uses his size well. Knows how to get off press-coverage well. Speed is functional for a #1 - gets good release off the line to create separation; long-strider that runs a lot like Leonard Hankerson. Appears to faster on the field than what the likely high 4.5's he'll time running on a track in Under Armor.

[​IMG]
    Paul Carrezola (#89) // Fullback/H-Back // Redshirt Senior // 6'1 5/8" // 240 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Worth keeping an eye on as a possible H-Back UDFA option. Hard not to love the way Rutgers backs and blockers play the game - hard-nosed, mean, assertive. Can lead-block with the best of them. Underrated hands, just hasn't really gotten a ton of opportunity to show them. Haven't seen him run much more than screens, delayed curls, and flares. Willing ST contributor who likes contact.

[​IMG]
    Antwan Lowery (#75) // Guard // Redshirt Senior // 6'3 3/4" // 310 lbs.
    LBC's Commens: Strong technician who isn't overly explosive, but plays smart. A bit heavy footed, which mostly comes from the physical side versus the technical. Some concern as to ability to stay healthy - has a knack for picking up nagging lower-body injuries in his career. Day 3 prospect likely, if not UDFA, but at worst quality depth which God knows we could use on the line.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish:
    Note: Louis Nix III and Chris Watt won't be playing in the game, but I'll be more than happy to provide a scouting report on them if folks would like one.

[​IMG]

Zack Martin (#70) // Offensive Lineman // Redshirt Senior // 6'4 3/8" // 305 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Utility is his best selling point. I'm confident he can project to play 3 of the 5 OL positions at the pro level and I wouldn't put the other 2 out of the realm of possibility either - particularly in Coach D's scheme. Plays with a real nastiness that coaches will love. Smart. Clean technique. Doesn't have ideal length to play OT, but could fill in a pinch. His value is at the interior OL positions though. Reminds a bit of Andy Levitre which is why I think Joe D could be a real fan of his. Because of the versatility I have less of an issue pulling the trigger earlier on him than with some other guard prospects; he'll find his way onto the field one way or another. If he made it to our 2nd round pick, I'd consider him incredible value there.

[​IMG]
    Stephon Tuitt (#7) // 5-Technique DE // Junior (has not declared) // 6'5 1/8" // 303 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Largely just doing this for due diligence in case he, like Keenan Allen, falls to rounds later than he should and becomes a value-based option. Has the strength to hold the POA in the run game and the quickness to penetrate on the interior. Shows a good understanding of leverage and its uses. Sheds blocks well. Has had a knack for picking up injuries - and the sort that with time could sap some of his natural athleticism. Wouldn't hurt to get stronger still.

[​IMG]
    Prince Shembo (#55) // Outside Linebacker // Senior // 6'1 1/2" // 250 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Stronger than he is fast. Not overlyfluid or flexible. I don't see a starter, but that doesn't mean he's worthless. First step is better with his hand in the dirt than from a two-point stance, but not bad from either (not great to the point it stands out, but it's serviceable). Struggles to shed blocks - need a lot of work there - too dependent on going from power-to-spin-move to get off blocks. Legit pro OT's will neutralize that after one or two attempts. Best fit honestly may be as a utility LB - some snaps at ILB, some as a situational pass-rusher at OLB.

[​IMG]
    Bennett Jackson (#2) // Cornerback // Senior // 5'11 3/4" // 185 lbs.
    LBC's Comments: Underachieved this year from what I was expecting. Athletic corner; former WR. Still a work in progress, but appears to pick up things pretty quickly. Has the length and speed to play the boundary at the next level. Needs to clean up his back-pedal and work flipping his hips a bit more fluidly - he's still doing what a lot of guys learning to play corner do which is taking a choppy, extra step when flipping his hips which can cause a tendency to get feet tangled with receivers and draw penalties. Still working on his press, but appears to know what to do to be effective - just needs to execute more consistently (i.e. when he executes, he presses quite nicely, needs to do it more often). Good closing speed. Added value as a returner and gunner. Can contribute on ST's in interim if he's deemed a worthy project as a CB.
  23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings Received:
    +2,348 / 19 / -3
    I'm a huge fan of Nix personally and would take him even potentially over Mack just based on the need of a real nose tackle to man that 3-4 position. It was clear to me pagans wants a multiple blocker occupying NT and Thomas wasn't up to it. To make that system run effectively you need a nose tackle in the mold of a wilfork or Jamal. Nix is one of the only ones in this draft. The others like McCullers or Carruthers are more development or have ?s about them while there are some late option rounds like Kerr from Delaware and Allen from Wisconsin.

So what are your thoughts on nix?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk