1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Leisureworld Draft - Why did you pick who you picked?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by AnteaterCharger, Apr 14, 2007.

1. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,550 / 44 / -6
    I didn't do any research for the draft, I just winged it. It was fun though and if I ever do it again I think I would prepare better for it.:bolt2:
  2. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    1st Round - Chris Houston CB Arkansas

Houston is the best athlete on the board and a now glaring position of need (Thanks Adam!!) for the Titans. I actually like Houston over Revis and Leon Hall, because I have a body of work on tape of him matching up with the Robert Meachem's and Dwayne Bowe's of the world. The Titans were going to go corner on the 1st day anyways to find a replacement for Reynaldo "butterback" Hill, the need has just been magnified.

2nd Round - Tim Crowder DE Texas

Crowder is the type of big, run stuffing DE (6'3" 275) that the Titans have needed since Kevin Carter left in a Salary Cap Purge three years ago. He'll probably never be a star, but he could be a highly productive anchor guy for years to come.
  3. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry you felt insulted... certainly was not my intent, even unintentional... I don't remember "blasting" Ugoh... Bowe, Yes...

and I don't proclaim myself an expert, just someone who watches ALOT of college ball and does a chiatload of research...

"Maybe next season Loren and Ron should make all the picks themselves. "

even better, "self-proclaimed guru" Ron doesn't agree to HELP out...
  4. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan New Member

Ratings Received:
    +288 / 0 / -0
    I have 2 teams Indy and Seattle (yes, I'm just that GOOD!!! :icon_rofl: )

Indy 32, no 2nd rounder, I took Justin Harrell, I was targeting a big for the middle of the dline. I know about Harrell's injury and not living up to potential but I thought at the end of the 1st he was real value in addition to a "need" pick. Besides SDR gave me props for this pick, so I knew it was the right choice :yes:

Seattle 55, no 1st rounder, I really wanted to go guard, but I felt where Seattle was picking, guard was not a good value. Beekman went a few spots earlier and I felt it was too early for Ramirez. So I went TE with Zach Miller.Their starter is M.Pollard, any questions :lol:
  5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,061 / 30 / -0
    Why does everyone get their panties in a wad over this stuff? It's all in fun.

Ron, I gave you **** about bashing my pick, but that's part of the fun of something like this. We all have our opinions. I don't take any of it personally.

I honestly do not spend alot of time watching college ball or researching for the draft. My draft interest is pretty limited to who the Chargers might pick. I do alot of reading up and watching vid on players the Chargers might pick, but that's about it.

My picks for GB were
    Greg Olsen in round 1.

I wanted to take an RB in round one, but I just don't think Marshawn Lynch is worth a mid first round pick, given his character and health questions. With no RB available worth a first rounder, I looked at WR but decided the depth at WR would allow me to grab a quality pass catcher in Round 2. So I decided to go with the consensu "best tight end in the draft."

I can say with all honesty that I've never seen Olsen play. I've only read stuff about him on the internet, and I like what I read. The guy has prototypical size and is very athletic. I think he can be the kind of pass catching TE that thrives with Brett Favre at QB.

Jason Hill in Round 2.
    I was all set to go RB in round 2, but Lynch was gone a few picks before mine, so I decided to give Favre another weapon. I've seen quite a few Pac-10 games, and Hill really looks like a gamer. He might not have the best workout numbers, but he's a highly productive, ultra-competitive player that will go balls out on ever play, a more talented version of Eric Parker.
  6. Tha rock

Tha rock BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    #1-Calvin Johnson WR GT-I picked him becuse he can do it all and is a playmaker i want around my young QB. The more weapons for a QB the better it makes them. Calvin is also the BPA in the draft and should go Number so i selected him. Moss is on his way out as well.

#33-Drew stanton QB MSU-I feel there needs to be an open QB compeitition for the raiders, whoever shows the most in camp wins the Job rather its walter,stanton. Stanton will excell in a WCO hes got a good grasp on the three step drop and incrdible fire and moxie like the greats who were in the WCO. I Think hes incrdibly talented and can make a very good QB in the Nfl.

#65-Victor ambiamiri-The raiders are in a dire need at the LDE spot, Tyler brayton may be moved to DT and there is no pass rush coming from any other D-ends consistently other then derric burgess. Victor is a nartrul fit at the LDE spot and is very big and athletic him and derric will dominate in the Nfl.
  7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +398 / 0 / -0
    Waaaaaa, i got made fun of :rolleyes:

We ripped leisure last year for Mangold and he survived. Its all in fun and things dont go as scripted in the real draft so if you have thin skin....dont play.

Initually i didnt think The Rams needed a OT either but after looking at Thumpers reason....seems not a bad choice to me. Who knows how important the team thinks getting a OT early is but still...sometimes its BPA on their list. Seems he did his homework on HIS team as GM.

Ron , i thought you did a good job and yes i enjoyed the "Fouts type commentary" so its a compliment on the job you did. The way you sounded, commented and lauged at things just made me think of Fouts.
    Its all in fun and im surprised nobody told me the Browns needed a QB real early which i disagree with but thought id hear it.
  8. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings Received:
    +1,009 / 1 / -0
    The Jags...

1st Round (#17) - Ted Ginn Jr - WR - Ohio State

A lot of people were surprised when I took Ginn here, but it actually wasn't that tough of a call. The two positions I was most looking to upgrade were DE and S. Honestly, I was hopeful that I'd be able to pick up Reggie Nelson here. When ANT grabbed him I thought I might be able to get Javis Moss, but he went with the next pick to Van De Man. So the next two guys on my board were Ginn Jr and Michael Griffin. But I really had a good feeling that Brandon Meriweather would still be around when I picked in the second. Honestly, were I the Jags GM in that spot I would have tried to trade out for extra picks. But in the position I was in I was totally comfortable taking Ginn Jr. I think the kid has mad skills and could very well be the next Steve Smith type WR/KR. Additionally I take some sick pleasure out of doing something unexpected and potentially fugging up some other peoples draft boards.

2nd Round (#48) - Brandon Meriweather - S - Miami

The Jags need a saftey. Sure he's a thug, but with the 48th pick he's a steal. Don't think much explaination is necessary here...
  9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings Received:
    +886 / 0 / -0
    UK... sorry man. Koren Robinson is a Packer now. I meant to tell you this back when you posted. The story about his current rehab stint is what reminded me.

Either way, they still need WR weapons. So good choice. :tup:
  10. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Jon Beason- he looks like the next vilma to me, some would say hes not that quick/agile but his natural speed should be enough for the nfl

eric wright- well he was the best cb available imo so i had to select him, going OL for sheli wouldve jus been wrong. plus hes got the same name as eazy-e
  11. hoff529

hoff529 BoltTalker

Ratings Received:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Hey I caught alot of "stuff" for sending Jarrett to K.C. with Meachem still on the board. I heard the apology on Bolttalk, and while it was nice it wan't neccessary. Everyone has different opinions and reasons. I personally took Jarrett because I think Height is more important than speed @ WR. What i mean is WR's have set plays they are running and running to spots. CB's are trying to anticipate and defend. A big WR can use his body to shield defenders and make the catch. I know some might disagree but thats my take. Plus K.C. desperately needs another red zone target, who knows who there QB will be next year so drafting a WR with good hands was important to.

With my 3rd round pick I took Mansfield Wrotto. Shields just retired so no explanation there.